Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey V Hands-on Preview  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Dangerface

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Etrian Odyssey V Hands-on Preview
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »

Customize your character from the ground up! Almost...

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/44865/etrian-odyssey-v-hands-on-preview

Atlus is keeping their presence on the 3DS strong in the coming year with a couple of re-releases and the debut of a new Etrian Odyssey. Following a trend we’ve been seeing from many E3 titles this year, the latest entry in this dungeon-crawling series calls back to its roots for a more simplistic experience while maintaining challenging and fulfilling exploration.

Etrian V scales back on any side story and additional features and streamlines the entire game to once again focus strictly on the game’s main dungeon. The mechanics within the dungeon are very familiar for experienced Etrian players: random encounters, manual mapping, and minor bosses wandering around that will wreck you if you’re unprepared. The only major change appeared to be the addition of several new mapping icons to make your exploration a little more detailed and backtracking that much easier.

While the dungeon-crawling gameplay doesn’t seem to be anything new, Etrian does step it up in terms of character and class customization. Hair color, eye color, and skin tone are all yours to choose, as well as the character's voice. There are actually 40 voice options to choose from, the most out of any Etrian game thus far. Not all customization is just cosmetic, however. Racial choice actually affects how your class runs as well. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a chance to play with this feature in the demo, but it will be interesting to experiment with the options further when the game releases.

Overall, our sneak peek was a pretty straight forward foray into the dungeon, but still satisfying in the way that an Etrian game usually is. Atlus doesn’t seem to be stretching themselves into unknown territory with this title, but the few upgrades we see should be enough to offer a new kind of challenge.

Offline InvaderREN

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Etrian Odyssey V Hands-on Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
How do you do the manual mapping on the Switch?

Touch screen or using the controller?

Offline InvaderREN

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
Oh, it's 3DS!   Actually, that is great news, perfect fit.  Ignore my previous comment :-)

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »

Oh, it's 3DS!   Actually, that is great news, perfect fit.  Ignore my previous comment :-)

Actually, you bring up a really good point.   There are lots of 3DS franchises (Monster Hunter, Mario/Luigi, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem) that would do well on the Switch and its hard to foresee any significant problems going over to that platform.   

But I love Etrian Odyssey.   LOVE.   I've played all 3 DS games, IV, both of the 3DS remakes, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon, and the Persona Q game.   But how do you do this kind of game on 1 screen to make it as good as its implementation on a dual screen device?  I just don't see it, and I worry that when the 3DS finally dies, it'll take Etrian with it.

So its Etrian and....oh I don't know, maybe the Art Academy games as well?   Because the Switch doesn't have a stylus.  Which sucks, because I also enjoy those games, and my daughters adore the Disney game that came out last year.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Kusazo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »

Actually, you bring up a really good point.   There are lots of 3DS franchises (Monster Hunter, Mario/Luigi, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem) that would do well on the Switch and its hard to foresee any significant problems going over to that platform.   

But I love Etrian Odyssey.   LOVE.   I've played all 3 DS games, IV, both of the 3DS remakes, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon, and the Persona Q game.   But how do you do this kind of game on 1 screen to make it as good as its implementation on a dual screen device?  I just don't see it, and I worry that when the 3DS finally dies, it'll take Etrian with it.

So its Etrian and....oh I don't know, maybe the Art Academy games as well?   Because the Switch doesn't have a stylus.  Which sucks, because I also enjoy those games, and my daughters adore the Disney game that came out last year.

Unless they bundled it with graphing paper, which would be pretty hilarious.

Wait, I think that'd be a pretty alright idea!