Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 668484 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#Team2017 Wins Again!)
« Reply #1200 on: May 01, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »
I don't think there's any point in remaking Super Metroid, but it could do with an enhanced port in the vein of Zelda OoT 3D, Wind Waker HD, etc. to iron out some of the quirks with its map system and controls. I don't really see reason to change anything else about the game; even the graphics still look fine, though a little resolution increase may not hurt. That said, this isn't something I would buy as I think the game plays fine as is.

Metroid II is a game that needs a remake, from redoing all its graphics to be more detailed (and in colour of course), to changing up some of the mechanics, and even redesigning some of the areas. Lots of things would need overhauled or changed to bring it up to speed. I'm a little surprised that they didn't do this after Zero Mission.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1201 on: May 01, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
Metroid 2 doesn't need that much time.  Use Sprites from the other games except for Boss Metroids.  Redo those.  The map could be redesigned though.  Make something where you really need to focus on the Spiderball. 

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 01, 2016, 11:14:31 PM »
I don't think someone would need to start that small, but that's just me.
Grezzo did.
I think remaking Super is a dumb idea. What needs updating? Nothing.
It was just a suggestion. You can disagree without flat-out calling it dumb, but sure. I'd update the item-switching. To each his own.
Apologies for being blunt. I just think remaking a game just to change item switching and wall-jumping (a precision-based move that demands mastery of the mechanic) is kind of silly. Instead of remaking Super, why not do something akin to A Link Between Worlds? Graphical update and new mechanics, story, controls, and the potential for engine reuse? While some might say ALBW is teetering on remake level, but it clearly is its own thing, and has a number of neat, stand-alone ideas. Plus, it was never a graphically taxing game, and although many associate Metroid with great visuals (Metroid 2 notwithstanding), I'm not sure such a niche title would be worth the graphics investment.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 02, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
When I say there's a need for a new Metroid game I mean it purely from a creative standpoint.  The last entry in the series was a misstep and we haven't had a new game in a while so the series needs a new entry to get it back on track.  I would love to see a Zero Mission style take on Metroid II.  Going back to Super Metroid seems unnecessary.  Zero Mission was practically a new game and Metroid II gives you the flexibility to do the same for it.  Super Metroid is too refined to change much and if you did really re-haul it you would probably make it worse.  Also we've been waiting for years for a new Metroid so a remake is kind of a lame.  Don't we deserve to see something new by now?

In regards to what Nintendo should prioritize I don't think Metroid is going to sell consoles that well but prioritizing the big sellers can lead to a one dimensional lineup.  Nintendo clearly did this with the Wii U.  For the first little while it was like every second game was a party game or a 2D platformer.  In theory this made sense because games like Wii Sports and NSMB were big sellers on the Wii but Nintendo already had a thin lineup and it made no sense to make multiple games in those genres when other genres were completely absent.  DKC Tropical Freeze was a stupid move.  In theory it makes sense because it's predecessor sold well but it was too similar to other Wii U titles.  Plus you would assume that fans of games in one genre would be fans of games in another.  If 2D platformers were your thing I figure NSMB U or Tropical Freeze would be sufficient killer apps for you.  If Tropical Freeze was the sort of game that would sell you on a console you were probably already on board for Mario and if Mario didn't entice you, Donkey Kong wouldn't either.

The NX is not going to have that strong of support at the beginning regardless of what the hardware is like.  After last gen I fully expect third parties to be cautious so Nintendo will have to get the ball rolling themselves.  They should make sure their teams are all working on very different style projects for their first NX releases to provide variety.  No two teams should be working on the same genre, regardless of how popular the genre is.  When those first round of titles are first shown, as many people as possible should feel that there is something in the lineup that appeals to them.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 03, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
So I thought of something that is complete speculation and I intend it more as a joke than anything else.

The Wii U is getting a surprisingly large amount of games released in June.  This morning when Terraria was added to that list I thought to myself "what's going on in July that's making everyone try to get their game out in June?"  The whole thing feels like everyone trying to meet a deadline.  Then I thought of something it could be - what if Nintendo's event to debut the NX is in July?  Devs would probably be aware of the timeframe for the reveal so as to get trailers or demos ready for it.  So perhaps the logic is to get your Wii U title out before the NX reveal tanks Wii U sales.

Or it could be something lame like a lot of these companies start their new fiscal year in July and want to get the first round of sales for their game to go towards the old year.

I have no source of on this and it should not be taken seriously.  Just a fun speculative thought that entered my mind.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 03, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »
So I thought of something that is complete speculation and I intend it more as a joke than anything else.

The Wii U is getting a surprisingly large amount of games released in June.  This morning when Terraria was added to that list I thought to myself "what's going on in July that's making everyone try to get their game out in June?"  The whole thing feels like everyone trying to meet a deadline.  Then I thought of something it could be - what if Nintendo's event to debut the NX is in July?  Devs would probably be aware of the timeframe for the reveal so as to get trailers or demos ready for it.  So perhaps the logic is to get your Wii U title out before the NX reveal tanks Wii U sales.

Or it could be something lame like a lot of these companies start their new fiscal year in July and want to get the first round of sales for their game to go towards the old year.

I have no source of on this and it should not be taken seriously.  Just a fun speculative thought that entered my mind.
San Diego Comic Con NX reveal, confirmed!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1206 on: May 03, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »
Nintendo's First Annual Fourth of July Barbecue and NX Reveal Spectacular
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 03, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »

That's what happens when you start letting Americans have input on company policy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1208 on: May 03, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »

That's what happens when you start letting Americans have input on company policy.

Mario Strikers NX: CANCELLED!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 03, 2016, 07:03:52 PM »
"...before the NX reveal tanks Wii U sales."

I think you confused "NX reveal" with "being the Wii U."
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 03, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
Also, that's still too close to E3.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1211 on: May 03, 2016, 08:54:25 PM »
Most fiscal years go April -> March, btw.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 03, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »
There is some discussion on whether or not sales are a good indicator of whether or not a company should make a game.
Ladies and gentleman, here's an example of how to completely misconstrue someone's point.

I'm going to stop you right there, Perm. Let's go back to what I specifically said.
Software sales are a good indicator of whether a company should prioritize a specific series or type of game.
Making something and prioritizing it are entirely different things. The former is about that thing's existence, the latter is about when that thing should exist. A niche game with a small but loud fanbase has no business being a priority, especially for a company like Nintendo that is coming off its weakest home console. Metroid can't carry a holiday season, doesn't sell, and generally doesn't appeal to anyone except its own fanbase. It isn't the kind of series Nintendo should try to sell a console with. Metroid isn't an appetizer; it isn't the first thing people generally eat at a restaurant. And it sure as hell isn't the meal they went out for. If anything, it's the dessert most people can talk themselves into buying after getting their fill. For some, they go out specifically for the dessert, and that's great for them, but they're the outliers.

And again, Metroid is my favorite series. Of course, I'd want a new game. However, what I want and what I think should happen are entirely different things. Metroid isn't going to help Nintendo sell NX in any significant way. I'd rather wait for a new Metroid game if it means Nintendo gets off to a much better start in part because Retro Studios worked on the next Splatoon-esque success instead. Release a new Metroid when NX is rolling. And if it doesn't and Nintendo doubles down on its own fans again, release it then. Launch, near launch, or even the first year is really not the time for it.

I didn't misconstrue anything. We both understand the word indicator. Also, that wasn't entirely aimed at you. That was a generalized statement. It was even worded in a generalized ways. My point wa sometimes sales numbers fail us. How does Halo sell so well? What's the huge difference between Halo and Metroid?  Halo was a system launcher and became popular because it was a decent game when there were few games to buy. Is Red Steel a better game than Metroid Prime? The sales of these games are entirely determined by market perception.

Retro busy? Then get another team to make it. There are plenty of hungry teams that do quality work. People don't buy Nintendo systems because the perceived lack of variety. We are well past the n64 era where only Nintendo and a handful of developers made quality games. We need quality and quanity, and variety. You can combat that by making more games. Ideally first impressions matter. What comes out at launch matters. What would journalists talk about if they were given access to a new incredible Metroid game on NX?

What Nintendo should do is make sure games are coming out. It needs to release old franchises and new. One could compare Nintendo to Disney. We know the next few years of Disney are going to be good. The next few years of Nintendo? A mystery.

Hopefully Nintendo just does the whole unified account system. That solves all sorts of issues.

I'm not opposed to any Metroid game coming out, 2d or 3d. I feel like last year they purposely bated us. They lowered the price of the 2d ones in the Nintendo wii u store and released Metroid Prime trilogy in the eShop. I bought them all, played the **** out of them, and made a Metroid clone in unity.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:20:26 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1213 on: May 04, 2016, 12:52:22 AM »
Federation clowns looks promising perm.

I just realised what I said, that's too funny to change! ;D
Made you look ****.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 04, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »
Well, preferably a western developer or someone like Kojima or Mikami. Federation Clowns is a good name though. Like a Monty Python Space Series.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:49:36 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1215 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:01 PM »
Tis' merely a scratch.
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 04, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
I'm actually excited about Federation Force- despite its bland graphics, the mission based stuff is exactly what I want to play with my friends.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 05, 2016, 04:59:30 AM »
Hey Perm, Hopeful that the NX will blow us away!
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 05, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »
Via NintendoLife: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/rumour_rom_chip_maker_macronix_drops_hint_nintendo_could_be_abandoning_optical_storage_for_nx

"However, fresh speculation - promoted by comments made by Macronix, the company which traditionally supplies Nintendo with its ROM chips - suggests that the firm could opt to use cartridges or game cards for NX, like it does with the 3DS."

Money-Link (Japanese Financial website)
Macronix's ROM chips are usually supplied to videogame console maker, Nintendo. Although the sales is in off season during the first quarter, the revenue is similar compared with the same period last year. Wu Miin suggested that as Nintendo had just announced it will release a new generation console in March next year, and the console will be launched at the same time in Japan, America and Europe, so ROM's sales is expected to increase in the latter half of this year, and it will have a large growth potential.

Macronix chairman Wu Miin
In the past, Macronix sales performance usually peaked at third quarter, while declined at the fourth quarter. However, Wu Miin pointed out that because Nintendo has announced that the new platform will be launched in March next year, orders should be placed in advance. Therefore, the operating revenue of Macronix in the fourth quarter may be as good as the third quarter.

Could be something, or maybe they're speculation as much as ours...still curious.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1219 on: May 05, 2016, 04:18:32 PM »
So, this new speculation would also tie in to that patent that didn't have an optical drive, right?  Seems promising.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 05, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
I fear going with carts will cost them third party support.  I figure those cost more than optical discs and if you give third parties an excuse, and a lower profit margin because of a non-standard medium is actually a pretty valid excuse, then they'll take it.  Though with digital distribution there will be an ever increasing chunk of sales with no physical media costs involved at all so this isn't quite like the N64 days.  And if the NX is both a handheld and a console a 3DS style cart makes sense.

Eh... it's still Nintendo going against industry conventions and that has summed up to some **** third party support every single time.  I'm going to have to be sold on this idea.

Though this is a million times better than the "no optical drive" rumour coming to the conclusion of no physical media at all.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 05, 2016, 04:56:31 PM »
If it uses some form of "cartridge" then it will likely be some kind of game card similar to the 3DS. To my knowledge, even the largest sizes on 3DS are still just a few bucks each to manufacture, which is far less than with N64 cartridges which could cost up to $20 for a lot less space than these game cards can provide.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 05, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
The NX, it was in front of our eyes this entire time.

Macronix Chairman Wu Miin

Wii U Mini

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 05, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
The NX, it was in front of our eyes this entire time.

Macronix Chairman Wu Miin
I laughed way harder than I should have.

Wii U Mini

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 05, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
Apologies for being blunt. I just think remaking a game just to change item switching and wall-jumping (a precision-based move that demands mastery of the mechanic) is kind of silly.
Perhaps, though saying it's just to change item switching and wall-jumping is reductive. I'd argue that those things would make an already excellent game even better (excellenter?), something Nintendo has done quite successfully in the past such as the aforementioned Ocarina of Time 3D. I mean, Wind Waker HD only changed item switching and sailing (a precision-based move that demands mastery of the wind mechanic). I'm joking, of course. Obviously, there were other changes, point being, you can downplay anything if you try hard enough.

I'm under the impression that Metroid has been dormant for the better part of a decade because Nintendo didn't know what to do with the series though it still cares about how Metroid is handled. If Nintendo is looking for a team to "inherit" Metroid or so to speak, giving that team an intimate look at and the opportunity to rebuild one of the best and most influential games of all time isn't a bad move. I'm sure there's brilliance in Super Metroid that one would only really see and appreciate on the development side. Of course, that isn't the only way. If Nintendo had the utmost confidence in a team to make a new Metroid, **** it, let's see what they can do.
If it uses some form of "cartridge" then it will likely be some kind of game card similar to the 3DS. To my knowledge, even the largest sizes on 3DS are still just a few bucks each to manufacture, which is far less than with N64 cartridges which could cost up to $20 for a lot less space than these game cards can provide.
I'll have to do some digging, but I read a really great post on NeoGaf a while back about how the smaller size of the game cases as well as further trimming the packaging would help offset the higher cost of cartridges.

There are also other ways Nintendo could further bridge the gap between cartridges and optical media such as lowering licensing fees and incentives for meeting sales goals.