Author Topic: Mafia XXII: Star Wars Mafia. Sign-up Thread is closed.  (Read 27069 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Mafia XXII: Star Wars Mafia. Sign-up Thread is closed.
« on: February 26, 2008, 12:25:37 AM »
I said awhile ago I was going to put up the sign-up thread today and I nearly forgot about it.

The Schedule

The sign-up's for our 22nd game shall remain open until 6:00 p.m. EST Sunday March 2.

Following that, I will hand out the roles and give people a chance to think about how they wish to plan their strategy. This should also give people a chance to ask me any questions they have about a role before the game starts.

That evening around Midnight Eastern time, I will begin the first day and the games shall begin.

As I like to do, I shall progressively reveal things about this game as the countdown to Day 1 continues. Part of the reason is due to necessity as well. Since I am unsure how many may sign-up and that number affects how many roles I will hand out, I am forced to take a wait and see approach. As we get closer to the deadline, I will have a clearer picture of what the final tally will be and can set my plans in stone.

The Theme

After weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to go with that wonderful world of science-fiction fantasy: Star Wars.

Yes, the theme will be Star Wars.

Even though I would like to base the roles of characters, I felt that may eliminate many chances for role play. So, all characters are free for the taking. The roles will just be generic names like Godfather, Cop, etc. Characters chosen for role-play will have no bearing on your role. So, someone playing Luke Skywalker could be the killer and Darth Vader could be the Doctor.

As well, all character selection is first come first serve. You do not have to be a character or role-play but it helps. You don't want to look different if everyone else has a Star Wars avatar and you don't.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:16:52 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXII: Sign-up Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
The Rules

How to Play. (If you are familiar with the mafia games already, skip to the gameplay reminders section)

Playing mafia can be summerized in one word: Survive! As long as you are still alive in the game, chances are you are winning.

Of course, it is a bit more complicated than that. You should remember that there are two sides to a mafia game. You are either a part of the townie side or the mafia side. If you belong to one side, you are looking to eliminate the rival side. So, how do you eliminate players?

Everyday there is a vote to choose one person to eliminate from the game. The person with the most votes at the end of the day is killed. Both sides can vote during the day, mafia and townies. However, after the day vote, there is a night action period. During this time, the mafia can send in a hit for whichever person they choose. The townies have no say in the matter. The next day or turn, the townies learn who the mafia killed and the game repeats until one side is left.

The victory conditions are a bit different for either side. For the townies to win, every mafia member must be eliminated. For the mafia to win, they just need to equal the number of townies left. So, if there are 3 mafia members left and 3 townies, the game is over and the mafia wins. The reason for this is that mafia members are supposed to be so powerful as to overwhelm the townies one-on-one. Obviously, if the townie number is lower than the number of mafia remaining, the mafia wins. A tie is the minimum win condition for the mafia.

There is a twist in this game in that there will be two mafias. What this means is that a mafia must eliminate the other mafia and tie the the townie number left for the minimum win condition. Townies must eliminate both mafias to win. If there is a tie between two mafia members of one side and one townie and a mafia member of the other side, the game is not over. The mafia must still eliminate the other mafia before overwhelming the townie.

Strike that. Due to turnout, I felt it best to stick with one mafia for this game. Repeat. There is only one mafia.

It should be noted that there may be a role that doesn't fit into either catagory (mafia or townie) and has a different win condition. This role must also be eliminated before one side can claim victory.

Voting Rules

Everyday, a new thread will be created for each day the game lasts. In this thread, you can cast a vote for whomever you want. To do so, simply type in bold "VOTE (Name)" where name is the person you are voting for. You can only vote for one person so votes for different people will not be counted. If you wish to change your vote at anytime, simply edit your message and erase the vote. There will be a deadline each day for when votes can be cast. Once the deadline is reached, all votes are binding. If you change or edit a vote after the deadline, the new vote will not be counted and the old vote will remain as your choice instead.

Gameplay Reminders

I am going to stick with the long voting hours introduced in Mafia 10. So, basically, the voting thread will be open for 21-22 hours. This gives everyone in all time zones a fair chance to play.

Breaking voting ties.

If there is a tie at the end of the day's vote, there are three ways to resolve it.

First, there is a role that allows one player to pm me and switch one person's vote to another person. If this has happened, the tie may be resolved.

If the person with this role is dead or has not sent me a pm by the voting deadline, I will leave the thread open for a length of time afterwards and extend the deadline. Important:The extended deadline time will be a maximum of 30 minutes if no other time limit is posted at the end of the day by me. During this extra time, any player can change their vote if they wish. As well, any player who hasn't voted that day may then cast a vote. The first vote that breaks the tie ends the voting. The person with the most votes will then be killed.

If, however, the remaining time has expired and the vote is still tied, the players who are tied are all killed. However, those players get to choose one person who voted for them to die with them. Thus, you may want to avoid ties.

Revealing someone's role after you are out of the game.

If you are eliminated and then give away someone's role, you are stupid. And no one loves you. Do not under any circumstances give away information or a role when you are eliminated. This may lead to a banning by Pale, S-U-P-E-R, Svevan, Deguello (They really want to test out their mod powers on the new forums and are just looking for an excuse) and/or general ostratization from the rest of the NWR forum members. Plus, I will take whatever action necessary to rectify your interference and try to screw you over for it.

Just play fair. Is that too much to ask?

Giving out information. Legally.

If you are not dead and wish to tell the players in the game a message, you have a couple of legal channels to do so. One, you can post this information in the voting thread or two you can send a private message to players. You can not, however, create another account and use it to hide your identity while giving out information. If you want to say something, you must accept the responsibility of saying it.

That should about cover the rules for playing the game. If there is something you are still confused about or something I didn't mention that you think should be covered, you can let me know by sending me a message or just posting it in this thread. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 02:24:23 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:22 AM »
The Roles

Rebel Alliance/Republic Roles

In this game, roles are actually going to be considered force powers or physical abilities than actual roles.

Force Insight

With this power of the force, one player is able to gain insight into what another player's role is. This person can only use their power once each day. This is the classic cop role.

Force Rebound

The player who is able to execute the force rebound is one is able to deflect the attack of his opponent and send the attack back to the one who sent it. For instance, if this player was voted out, he would be able to survive and choose someone who voted for him to replace him. Thus, they recieve the attack of getting voted out. Likewise, if he was the target of a mafia hit, the hit would deflect from him back to the person trying to carry it out. Two things to note. The player with force rebound may choose to use it on another person or protect them. This power then acts for the protected person the same as if they had the power. However, if the player with the role is targetted for an attack, they would be unable to rebound it since their attention is diverted. As well, the player with this role must tell me who will be the recipent of it's power for the next day before the next day starts. Otherwise, it won't be used. Once the name is given, it is set and can not be changed for that next day and night.

Jedi Mind Trick

These are not the droids you are looking for. A powerful tool of the force used to confuse the weak minded. With this ability, a person is able to cancel another player's vote and replace it with a vote of his own. You will not vote Khushrenada. I will not vote Khushrenada. You will vote stevey. I will vote stevey.

Force Balance

With this power, a player is able to switch the power of one player with another. Let's say Player 1 had the Jedi Mind Trick power and Player 2 was just a townie. Using force balance on the two means that Player 1 is now a townie and Player 2 has the Jedi Mind Trick. The player with Force Balance doesn't know if he was successful nor does he know what roles were switched. The players whose roles were switched will only be notified that balance has been restored to the force and what their new role is. The player with Force Balance may use it on himself. Any role or power can be exchanged, even mafia and other roles.

Jedi Master

The Jedi Master is a master of the force. Because of this, he can use any Jedi or Force ability listed above. In case you are still unsure what that entails, allow me to list them. Force Insight, Force Rebound, Force Balance and Jedi Mind Trick are all available to the Jedi Master. He may choose one of those abilities and use it for that day. Of course, the same rules that apply to how those powers work apply to the Master as well.

Gambler's Luck

Never tell me the odds. Sometimes, you're successfully navigating an asteroid field, the next you're frozen in carbonite. This player is able to cash in his luck once to escape death but next time, his luck will be all used up and he will not be so successful.

Alien

An alien is a normal townie. It's only power is the vote.

Empire Roles

All mafia members have a special talent. That talent is seperate from their role of either godfather or henchman. The player with Force Balance can switch a mafia member's power but not their affiliation. Does this mean that the townies would want to let a known mafia member live in order to get that power for themselves or will they just strike down the mafia member? We shall see.

Force Lightning

Power!!! Ah, nothing like sending your opponent a crippling blast of pain. The player with this ability is able to choose a person for each day and render them paralyzed for a day and night. So, if Khushrenada was targeted with Force Lightning, he would not be able to vote or perform any action he may have the next day. In addition, he can only post once in the voting thread, so make your message worth it.

Future Forseen

This player likes to plan his steps carefully. He may request to know who is going to be affected by an action. Meaning he could ask about the Jedi Mind Trick to know who's vote is being cancelled and what it is being replaced with. Who will the person with Insight be looking into? Who are the two players who will be affected by Force Balance? What power is the Jedi Master using today? The only things unforseen are who has Gambler's Luck and who will be protected by Force Rebound.

Force Manipulation

The only power to disrupt Force Rebound. With this power, the player is able to throw debris or other objects at another player. Because of this distraction and break in concentration, it disrupts the power of another player. What that means is, anyone hit with Force Manipulation can not perform an action that day. So, if a townie is hit with Force Manipulation, they lose their vote which is their power. Any other player with a power also loses their action for the day but may still vote.

Choke

I find your lack of faith... disturbing. Some days, it just seems everyone around you is letting you down. They're either jumping out of hyperspace too soon or letting the rebels escape. And so, you just have to let people know your displeasure. And what better way than killing them? The player may kill any one player he chooses but there is a caveat. He can only target someone who has voted for him and the vote has to be permanent. Meaning if Khushrenada voted for the player with choke during the day but then switched his vote later in the day, the player with choke could not kill him. It is only a vote that stands when the day is done that would count. When used, it doesn't have to be done on the same day a person voted for you. If someone voted for you on Day 1, you could choke them on Day 4 if you wanted. The vote for you just means the door is now open to strike against them. If used on a player protected by Force Rebound, nothing happens as you would have to be pretty dumb to keep choking yourself. As well, when used, it will only be revealed as a mafia hit. Saying someone was choked would make it easy to figure out who has the ability. Who did the choked guy vote for? Again, this power can only be used once.

Godfather

The mafia will consist of those 4 powers. However, one of those players will also be given the title of Godfather. That person leads the mafia and is responsible for telling me who the hit will be each night and who will commit the hit. This is important since a Force Rebound means the person making the hit may be killed. If the player with the role of Godfather is killed during the game, he will give me the name of his successor and then a different member of the mafia will take over.

Mafia players do not have to perform their power according to the Godfather's wishes. They are free to use it however they choose. But, it is best to cordinate your actions together and pool your resources.

Other Roles

There will only be one other role this game. Unless we suddenly get an influx of people signing up. That role is a new one.

The Senator

Each day, the senator may propose a bill of whatever he chooses and all players have the chance to either ratify or reject the bill. The senator looks out for his own interests and will do whatever it takes to rise in the Senate and become Chancellor. Thus, he seeks the elimination of all potential rivals meaning all townies and mafia. Yet, he must also work with the many players of this game in order to survive and keep his political ambitions alive.

So, what does it mean to propose a bill? Well, this player may be as creative as possible and come up with any idea that strikes his fancy. As an example, the senator may propose that he be given Jedi Master powers. If his bill is accepted by a majority, he gets his way. If it is struck down, well, better luck tommorrow. Maybe the Senator will come up with a whole new role to be brought in the game or propose a player be killed. We just don't know. But it should be interesting. And it gives us a chance to incorporate the poll feature in the game.

Of course, I will have final say on whether a bill is acceptable. I.E. Let's have all Mafia members or Townie members named. That would clearly ruin the game and be unacceptable.

Bounty Hunter

The bounty hunter plays both sides of the war and is looking to survive and make a hefty profit. The bounty hunter is really the killer role. Each day, he can choose any person he wants to die. Of course, Force Rebound would kill him. The bounty hunter is looking to be the last one standing. To that end, the bounty hunter will want the finest weaponry like a thermal detonator. How may the bounty hunter acquire such a device? Everyone in the game will be assigned a value of 1, 2, or 3. When the bounty hunter kills someone, their value will be added to a point total. In this way, it is like acquiring payment or the bounty for someone. If the Bounty Hunter reaches 6 points, he may then acquire a thermal detonator. Each thermal detonator costs 6 points. Using a thermal detonator means the bounty hunter may choose any two players he wants and hurls the bomb at them, killing them. The only exception would be protection by Force Rebound but in that case, the blast doesn't rebound to kill the bounty hunter. The thermal detonator may be used at any time in the day or at night with instant results.

Updates

Added one more role. The bounty hunter.

One more thing to note about that role. The player with Future Forseen can learn who the target of the Bounty Hunter is. But, he can not know how many points the bounty hunter has or if he has a thermal detonator.

If a player has been hit with Force Lightning, they may make one post and one post only in the voting thread. After the post is made, they can not edit it or add new thoughts.

Another update. There is only one mafia this game. I know I spoke about having two but I decided that due to the amount of people who have signed up, it would be best to keep it to one mafia for the game.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 02:25:40 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:38 AM »
Current sign-up list:

GoldenPhoenix - Mara Jade
Thatguy - Lando Calrissian
Wandering - Rex
Insanolord - Chewbacca
nickmitch
Crimm
NuclearSpeed - "Fiery" Figrin D'an
DAaaMan64 - Obi-Wan
Plugabugz - Firmus Piett
Dasmos - Boba Fett
stevey
Pale - Wicket
bustin98 - Darth Maul
KashogiStogi
Toruresu
Vudu - Yoda
Spak-Spang - C-3PO
Sister Mary LeFever - Admiral Daala
ShyGuy - Darth Vadar
oohhboy
Athrun Zala - Han Solo
Sessha - Mace Windu
Kairon - Salacious Crumb
Darkheart - R2D2
Shift Key - Jabba the Hut

Number of People Currently Signed Up:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 05:49:08 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:27:30 AM »
I'll join.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:29:57 AM »
I'll join, but this time, I'm not doing the work.  I'm looking out for number one no matter what.  I'll do whatever it takes to live, even if that means I sell out everyone.

Edit:  I've changed my mind.  I'll be looking out for number 1 still, but if anyone wants to be in a "protected" circle, he or she can PM me before roles go out, and we can work together, regardless of my safety.  Beyond that, I'll be working to protect myself the entire game.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:46 AM »
In
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:44 AM »
I've sat back and watched the Mafia games long enough, it's time for me to play. I'm in.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 01:11:59 AM »
Let's do it. I intend to actually play, this time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 01:42:15 AM »
in
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NuclearSpeed

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 01:53:42 AM »
booo for too much secracy before the game starts
hooray for another Mafia

signing up for this game

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 03:34:40 AM »
In, but I don't know how to do it yet.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 03:46:53 AM »
In.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 06:22:32 AM »
Joining.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 10:32:16 AM »
VOTE KUSH!
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 10:37:30 AM »
I'm game.

Anyone who votes for me at all during this game of mafia will lose 1 point!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
VOTE PALE
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
I'm in.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 12:16:11 PM »
in.

The themes not going to be political is it? Cuz that would be AWESOME (and terrible)
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:05:34 PM »
Im in!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »
IN.  I'm going to continuously view random users' profiles in order to **** with thatguy.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »
Of Course I am In.  Spak-Spang may not be a winner...but at least he is a Player.

I call Dibs on C-3P0 the third most annoying character in the series.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:09:33 AM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Sister Mary LeFever

• PS3ROX!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
I am in.
My signature is a trainwreck

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
I think I will join.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
Whatever. IN.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?