Author Topic: Water Warfare (WiiWare)  (Read 3918 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Water Warfare (WiiWare)
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »
Now that it's out (in Europe) we need a friendcode thread.

Since the game isn't terribly well known, it's an FPS with water guns and kids instead of space marines and chainsaws though the guns are still pretty much regular FPS fare and the water part doesn't change their behaviour a lot (the shots arc somewhat). It's got 2 player locally or 8 players online (sadly not both at the same time) plus bots (only offline I think). It's an arena FPS like Q3A so there's no regular singleplayer corridor stuff, just a bunch of missions that have specific goals (some just require an arena match of a certain type, others are stuff like using the rifle to stop enemies from attacking your teammates while they run to a safe spot or hitting targets scattered around the map) and are timed.

They really made it simple to control, the game uses a whole four buttons (shoot, jump, use item, zoom with the rifle) so you can easily play it with a gun shell for the Wiimote that allows the nunchuk (I've tried it with the Nerf Switch Shot which I bought yesterday, I'm not used to the weight yet) and the game has Zapper support (all that does is make the B button select menu options instead of cancel). If you're insane you can use the classic controller and play with dual analogs but I hope everybody here is sane enough to avoid that.

Damage values are very low, no idea if that's to be kid friendly or for some other reason. You have to empty half your ammo into an enemy to knock him out and ammo counts are pretty low (you get maybe 8-10 shots out of the rocket launcher before it's empty), since you only carry the weapon you have in your hand that means you can easily end up defenseless for a while. The weapons also don't feel terribly powerful but that's pretty much a given considering they're water guns. I don't know what the real difference between the grenade launcher and rocket launcher is, sure, the shots of the rocket launcher arc less but both are still arced, have some splash damage (doesn't seem very large though) and roughly the same damage, rate of fire and ammo count from what I can tell. Seems kinda redundant to have both weapons, they could probably have replaced the GL with a spray gun (flame thrower) or something.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Water Warfare (WiiWare)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »
How's the control sensitivity compared to Onslaught and Metroid?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »
Damage values are very low, no idea if that's to be kid friendly or for some other reason. You have to empty half your ammo into an enemy to knock him out

It's probably because you're firing projectiles made out of H2O instead of lead.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
You knock enemies out by soaking their t-shirts (no, it's not visible on the character models, you won't see lolis with wet clothes in this game). It's still pretty annoying in gamemodes where you have to prevent ther enemy from getting somewhere so he won't just stop and fight you. You cannot defeat an enemy with the pistol when he's capping a base before he's done (10 second timer).

The control sensitivity is fine, haven't played Prime 3 in a while but I think it's about on the same level as Onslaught, seems to take about one second to do a 180° turn. The only issue might be the sniper rifle since for some reason it's aimed with the analog stick when zoomed in which isn't exactly conductive for accurate shots but then again you can usually fire unzoomed as well, I only really used zoom in a mission where you had to hit targets without hitting any of the girls patrolling between them.

The hardest missions are the stealth ones BTW, you're unarmed but you see the enemy viewing areas on your radar. If you're spotted they chase you (running as fast as you do) and when they catch you it's instant game over.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:54:27 AM »
They really made it simple to control, the game uses a whole four buttons (shoot, jump, use item, zoom with the rifle) so you can easily play it with a gun shell for the Wiimote that allows the nunchuk

That's one more button than you have access to with a pistol shell, unfortunately. Have to go out of your way for something I guess.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 02:36:14 AM »
Yeah but as I said, you really won't use the zoom button anyway.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:36:44 AM »
IGN gave it a 6.9

I have no idea WTF Matt is on. Yes, it looks bad but it's fun to play and it has local and online multiplayer so what's the problem?

The review text seems fairly weak as well, no mention of the item imbalance, assault mode labelled "capture the flag" (yes, you cap a flag but it's not what FPSes usually call CTF, it really is more like UT's Assault), claiming there are 40 missions (there are 38, 6 of which are tutorials), ...

Really, it reads like a feature list, not a quality assessment. Almost sounds like they didn't even play it. The tone of the review also doesn't really match the score, sounds much more positive than the score they gave (the comments sound like it accidentally said 7.9 at first, I wonder if they actually wanted to give that score and then downgraded it for some reason).

Besides, the radar only makes it hard to see important items and enemies because it doesn't show items at all and only shows enemies when they shoot at you, otherwise only allies and goals (flags, treasure chests, targets in some missions, ...) appear.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:40:40 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 09:41:02 AM »
IGN gave it a 6.9

I have no idea WTF Matt is on.

I LOLed reading matt's second opinion.

I mean, you can give a dog turd to a monkey and the poor thing might just eat it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a dog turd.
 - Matt Casamassina
   ??? ;D :D :D :D ;D

I'm not downloading it unless they have big breasted women as characters

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
You certainly have your priorities straight...

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »

Girls Gone Wild : Water Warfare (WiiWare )

That has a much better ring to it.  8) 8) 8)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 11:58:06 AM »

Girls Gone Wild : Water Warfare (WiiWare )

That has a much better ring to it.  8) 8) 8)

DOA: Wet-T Water Warfare (WiiWare)

That would bring in the matoor crowd ;)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »
Yeah, whatever, I'll go and squirt my sticky juice all over crying underage girls...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
What's Matt's problem?  FPS games are just blocks that chase other blocks, trying to establish vector lines with each other, right?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
Anyway, noone else has posted a friendcode yet, I suppose noone here bought WW?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »
Well, i'm kinda focused on retail games on this end.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
So, still no friend codes... Are you Americans too focussed on The Conduit or are people here just too "hardcore" for a game that doesn't involve blood?

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »
Anyone playing a FPS on Wii will be playing The Conduit. Just wait till it comes out over there and you will be addicted.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 09:23:07 PM »
i had an idea for a game similar, but was better thought out with a story and actual direction for a series.  I wish could get my game out there.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:56 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA, GamePro's review was obviously produced by copying IGN's. Note the factual errors: The mission count is 38, not 40 and assault is like the UT assault mode, not capture the flag (also there's no assault rifle, only a machinegun and a sniper rifle but most gamers don't know the difference between those so I'll let that slide). I guess that's why he's not elaborating on the "what not to do in an FPS". The whole thing seems to exist only to claim the Wii has no good FPSes, I don't think he ever played it.