Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217413 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #325 on: April 22, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
Oops...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #326 on: April 22, 2009, 07:28:59 PM »
Someone should make a Wall-of-Shame site, complete with pictures of these champions and snapshot evidence of their feats of journalistic rectal inversion.

The site would also include ads, so that the site operator would make money off the forced multiple page hits, like what GameDaily does.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #327 on: April 22, 2009, 07:57:38 PM »
Someone should make a Wall-of-Shame site, complete with pictures of these champions and snapshot evidence of their feats of journalistic rectal inversion.

The site would also include ads, so that the site operator would make money off the forced multiple page hits, like what GameDaily does.

There's already one. Its  called Go Nintendo...

OH SNAP, THAT'S RIGHT I WENT THERE!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Ok, this one is getting pretty interesting.  Here's the Joystiq review for ExciteBots that just went up.
I could probably write a better review than that, and I haven't even played the game.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 23, 2009, 12:30:11 AM »
Oh my god. This just... this just... the world is a horrible horrible place.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #330 on: April 23, 2009, 06:44:42 AM »
You know what's even funnier about that review? It probably went through an editor who didn't realize it either. Awesome.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2009, 06:49:51 AM »
http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/2997/

This might be the worst game article I've ever read.  Particularly the use of Deca Sports 2 to gauge the sales of a sequel to a game that Deca Sports is a shameless ripoff of.  I mean use a normal substitution.

"Oh no, Saints Row II sold less than GTA: San Andreas!  Does this spell doom for GTA IV?"

Or

"Oh no Work Time Fun completely bombed!  People weary of Wario Ware?"

I mean articles like this totally lend credence to the idea that major games media have it in for Nintendo.  No wonder Nintendo fans believe that there's a big conspiracy around.  Because it's the only logical explanation left.  Why else hold panel meetings with Michael Pachter every month or week to "discuss" how wrong he was about NPD predictions and how "Sony is going to come back."  No wonder Wii fans and owners don't trust reviewers and games journalists.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
Ok, this one is getting pretty interesting.  Here's the Joystiq review for ExciteBots that just went up.
I could probably write a better review than that, and I haven't even played the game.

And he probably shouldn't be doing video reviews either.  It almost sounds like he was watching tv as he described the game, completely distracted.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
That ExciteBot review incident really pisses me off, having played the game all night last night and enjoying it.. he didn't even finish the fucking school cup to access the online?

For those of you that havent played it:
That means he played LESS THAN 5 RACES and reviewed the game.

You start the game, you set up your profile (which you use later to go online) with an icon and everything, then its a quick tuturiol. That alone takes no more than 5 mins. After the stupid tutoriol you unlock the "School Cup" which is basically an extension of the tuturial. Theres 5 levels and each introduces you to a new mechanic of the game, during a race. Such as "Turn your wii remote in sync with the motions of your Bot on screen to launch off the Red Spin Bar. Successful launches give you more Stars plus a Turbo Boost!" and then you go on to race, while trying out said game mechanic. You do this 4 more times with different mechanics thrown at you and you've just completed the "School Cup" which unlocks WFC Play as well as VS Excite modes. Anyone familiar with ExciteTrucks knows that the levels are timed as well, usually no more than 3 mins per race, but the race can usually be won in 2.

If the reviewer didn't even unlock the WFC option, ie didnt complete the School Cup, she/he didnt even put 15mins into the game....
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
At this point, I think its fair to say, "David Hinkle sucks at video games."
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:31 PM »
At this point, I think its fair to say, "David Hinkle sucks at video games."

Which leads me to believe that the reason you have to complete the School Cup in order to unlock the WFC mode is to keep n00bs from competing with the l337
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »

This might be the worst game article I've ever read.  Particularly the use of Deca Sports 2 to gauge the sales of a sequel to a game that Deca Sports is a shameless ripoff of.  I mean use a normal substitution.

"Oh no, Saints Row II sold less than GTA: San Andreas!  Does this spell doom for GTA IV?"

Or

I mean articles like this totally lend credence to the idea that major games media have it in for Nintendo.  No wonder Nintendo fans believe that there's a big conspiracy around.  Because it's the only logical explanation left.  Why else hold panel meetings with Michael Pachter every month or week to "discuss" how wrong he was about NPD predictions and how "Sony is going to come back."  No wonder Wii fans and owners don't trust reviewers and games journalists.

Holy shiznit! That was the most biased article I've seen in a long long long time.

That ExciteBot review incident really pisses me off, having played the game all night last night and enjoying it.. he didn't even finish the fucking school cup to access the online?

You start the game, you set up your profile (which you use later to go online) with an icon and everything, then its a quick tuturiol. That alone takes no more than 5 mins. After the stupid tutoriol you unlock the "School Cup" which is basically an extension of the tuturial. Theres 5 levels and each introduces you to a new mechanic of the game, during a race. Such as "Turn your wii remote in sync with the motions of your Bot on screen to launch off the Red Spin Bar. Successful launches give you more Stars plus a Turbo Boost!" and then you go on to race, while trying out said game mechanic. You do this 4 more times with different mechanics thrown at you and you've just completed the "School Cup" which unlocks WFC Play as well as VS Excite modes. Anyone familiar with ExciteTrucks knows that the levels are timed as well, usually no more than 3 mins per race, but the race can usually be won in 2.

If the reviewer didn't even unlock the WFC option, ie didnt complete the School Cup, she/he didnt even put 15mins into the game....

That's just sad....
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »

Or

Holy shiznit! That was the most biased article I've seen in a long long long time.

That's just sad....

I am someone who isn't big when it comes to requiring reviewers to finish a game to review it, but really this is just sad. I beat the school cup in less then an hour EASILY in fact I NEVER had to repeat a race. so perhaps it was even shorter. At its heart the school cup is a freaken training mode. Even someone like me that doesn't care much about having to unlock things like multiplayer it wasn't a big deal.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »

Or

That's just sad....

I am someone who isn't big when it comes to requiring reviewers to finish a game to review it, but really this is just sad. I beat the school cup in less then an hour EASILY in fact I NEVER had to repeat a race. so perhaps it was even shorter. At its heart the school cup is a freaken training mode. Even someone like me that doesn't care much about having to unlock things like multiplayer it wasn't a big deal.

AND SHEZ A GURL NON-GAMERCAZUAL!

if she could do it easily, why couldn't this elitist hardcore reviewer? ;)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
Imagine and Petz series PWNS Easycure.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2009, 10:53:45 PM »
Oddly enough, I have yet to play a single game from the Imagine series... though I do own a copy of Hamsterz...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
This might be the worst game article I've ever read.
Why is it that they always go straight to suggesting a redesigned Wii with HD as a way to boost sales? Even if their prediction came true and Wii Sports Resort doesn't help sell systems (which I highly doubt BTW), the easiest and most-effective way to boost sales would be a price cut and also introducing new colours. How would an HD Wii even help? It would raise the system price and wouldn't enhance current games. Plus, nobody cares about HD.

Here's another interesting article from them:
Wii MotionPlus backwards compatibility: Denied!
The person sounds honestly disappointed that no already released titles will have Wii Motion Plus support added with a patch, as if expecting that it would.

Here are two quotes:
Even so it might still be disappointing for newcomers who buy Wii Sports Resort with the expectation of finding a bountiful back catalogue of software where their new super-precise pointers can be put to good use.
The Wii Motion Plus enhances the motion-sensing, not the IR pointer. And only people who don't think realistically would be disappointed by such, but then again, such people are constantly disappointed so who cares?

Put another way, is it even worthwhile investing when only three games actually support the device?
Last I counted there were four games. And I'm sure there are absolutely no others in the works.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 24, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
Imagine and Petz series PWNS Easycure by default.

fixed

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
Imagine and Petz aren't stupid enough to pwn EasyCure.

That game belongs to Sonic Unleashed.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »
Completely make them up?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #346 on: April 29, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »
What I find utterly hilarious is that in their first "reviews from the future" article, they gave Punch-Out Wii a 6 saying that it completely fails. But now that we actually have info on the game they now say that its a rock solid game that competes with Wii Sports greatly!

Idiots...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 29, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »
What I find utterly hilarious is that in their first "reviews from the future" article, they gave Punch-Out Wii a 6 saying that it completely fails. But now that we actually have info on the game they now say that its a rock solid game that competes with Wii Sports greatly!
Moral of the story: don't judge a book before it's written.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #348 on: April 29, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »
These gamedaily fa9s have learned a lot from Game Informer Magazine.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »
Yes Pro, they learned how to be anti-Nintendo well. They may just take GI's crown soon.  :P
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?