Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217541 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
Well, to force a 1-10 rating system on games is also considered evil by some.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2008, 06:23:44 AM »
They can't call that episode of Stargate Atlantis a 10 (which i felt was good but not THAT good) and Metroid Prime 3 reaching 9.5. Yes they are different mediums but what stops Metroid Prime from missing that 0.5 that Atlantis doesn't?

If they called it "thoughts" i would have been less critical of it.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
Yeah but it's not like they're thinking on those strings of letters posted onto the internet.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
The ugliness of IGN's review system hit it's festering point with me after the reviews of Metal Gear Solid 4. The game did not deserve a ten. Yet, then came Super Mario Galaxy. It was a fantastic game, but was docked three points by Matt for the camera. Okay, fair enough, but three points seems a bit over done. I thought Mario Galaxy's camera was a massive improvement over Sunshine's camera. It made Galaxy a wonderful experience.

Off topic, Infernal did an excellent review of Sonic Unleashed for the Wii.

Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
Actually, I generally like Cassamassina's and many IGN WII reviews done my their core staff. It's the rest of IGN that I usually take issue with. It's like IGN Wii is one of the few IGN places that review decently, which is actually somewhat sad because the rest of IGN's review scores are so incongruent in quality.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »
Actually, I generally like Cassamassina's and many IGN WII reviews done my their core staff. It's the rest of IGN that I usually take issue with. It's like IGN Wii is one of the few IGN places that review decently, which is actually somewhat sad because the rest of IGN's review scores are so incongruent in quality.

That's because the Sony and Microsoft section of IGN ever since 2002 have been in a review war with each other, where each side always has to outdo the other.  This is why 98% of all major Playstation or Xbox titles since then always receive scores around 95% or higher.

Of course I don't find the Nintendo sections all that better either thanks to Matt.  Now I feel Matt generally does good reviews (except for his pathetic Wii Music one), but he turns a lot of his reviews as well as most news articles into his own personal blog and acts like all Nintendo games should be like he wants them to be because his opinion is the only right one it seems.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
More fodder, this time it's Kotaku. Their reviews are awful piles of nonsense. This isn't because they don't assign a score, but because they seem to always feel the need to tell me nothing about a game except for a few meaningless points that typically are lost on anyone who hasn't already played the game. Furthermore, they always try to give a balance of pros and cons which never really puts forth whether a game is worth **** or not.

Their most recent travesty is one of the worst I've read yet. Persona 4. Prepare to facepalm.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
More fodder, this time it's Kotaku. Their reviews are awful piles of nonsense. This isn't because they don't assign a score, but because they seem to always feel the need to tell me nothing about a game except for a few meaningless points that typically are lost on anyone who hasn't already played the game. Furthermore, they always try to give a balance of pros and cons which never really puts forth whether a game is worth **** or not.

Their most recent travesty is one of the worst I've read yet. Persona 4. Prepare to facepalm.

I think Mr. Jack is an example of the pathetic state of the gaming media. Who agrees?

::raises her hand::

Your Mr. Pants has no power over me anymore!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »

But look at his nifty hat!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2008, 05:13:47 PM »
but he turns a lot of his reviews as well as most news articles into his own personal blog and acts like all Nintendo games should be like he wants them to be because his opinion is the only right one it seems.
*coughKidIcaruscough*
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2008, 05:34:09 AM »
Quick IGN for ya
Perhaps with the exception of the third film in the series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is without a doubt the most visually impressive chapter in Potter's ongoing cinematic journey.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2008, 05:53:58 AM »
ahahaha order of the phoenix is the 5th harry potter.

**** harry potter
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2008, 11:30:55 AM »

But look at his nifty hat!

THE COLORS DON'T MATCH!

I'm sorry but a mismatched top and bottom just aren't sexy.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »
Actually, I do have a problem with people saying that numbers shouldn't be included with video game reviews; like stars in movie reviews, it helps me contextualizes all of the comments made elsewhere in the review to make it clear what the person actually thought of the game overall. Kotaku's reviews, especially, don't have enough content in them in order for me to figure out whether a game would be a 7 or an 8, and when I'm shopping with a limited budget, I want to know pretty exactly how good this $60 disc is supposed to be. If Roger Ebert has no qualms using stars, then video game journalists shouldn't think they're better, because they're not.

I hold up the little video game reviews that Toonami used to run as a prime example on how to create a short, entertaining video game reviews that, while lacking in depth, hit all the right points. A lot of Internet sites could learn from those.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2008, 07:38:28 PM »
So Hillary Goldstein gave GTA 4 a perfect 10 in every category but he doesn't give it game of the year??  Huh?  Just as I suspected.  If you're going to be a complete tool, at least be a consistent tool.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
Some companies held out their review money for GOTY money I guess.
Kotaku's reviews, especially, don't have enough content in them in order for me to figure out whether a game would be a 7 or an 8, and when I'm shopping with a limited budget, I want to know pretty exactly how good this $60 disc is supposed to be.
Uh, the fact is the numbers are always wrong too. "I might skip this game because it's only 8 worthy and my budget is 9's and up" is a completely retarded way of thinking that leads to unhappiness.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »
Some companies held out their review money for GOTY money I guess.
Kotaku's reviews, especially, don't have enough content in them in order for me to figure out whether a game would be a 7 or an 8, and when I'm shopping with a limited budget, I want to know pretty exactly how good this $60 disc is supposed to be.
Uh, the fact is the numbers are always wrong too. "I might skip this game because it's only 8 worthy and my budget is 9's and up" is a completely retarded way of thinking that leads to unhappiness.

It's not a hard and fast rule, and I never buy a game based on a number without reading the whole review first. And how can the numbers be "wrong"? They're a person's subjective opinion, just like anything else in their review. Not using them doesn't make for a better review, as all the same bases need to be covered whether or not they're there (and again, many reputable publications and reviewers use star ratings). This whole sub-argument is bizarre; the problem is big egos and crappy writing/journalism among these people, not how the damn things are formatted.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »
Even more, some reviews fail to convey the score properly and would leave you with a completely different impression of the game's quality than intended.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »
IGN PC gave Sins of the Solar Empire game of the year even though it wasn't even close to their highest rated game. (It got a a 89)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
Actually, I commend IGN for ignoring their review numbers when deciding on a game of the year.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »
Actually, I commend IGN for ignoring their review numbers when deciding on a game of the year.

Come on, if you're giving a game a 10.0 for every category for the first time in history, logic demands that it is the best game of all time (in their eyes of course), or at the very least, for that year.  In my opinion, the 360 IGN team have committed intellectual and journalistic suicide.  As I'm sure we all suspected, their numbering system is not only flippant, but completely meaningless.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »

Come on, if you're giving a game a 10.0 for every category for the first time in history, logic demands that it is the best game of all time (in their eyes of course), or at the very least, for that year.  In my opinion, the 360 IGN team have committed intellectual and journalistic suicide.  As I'm sure we all suspected, their numbering system is not only flippant, but completely meaningless.

Well to be fair with the IGN PC guys, Sins of the Solar Empire was being worked on constantly long after launch so it isn't surprising that the game improved to possibly be game of the year. GTAIV on the other hand, um, yeah I can't really defend their goofy system for not picking that game for GotY.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2008, 03:31:14 AM »
Maybe they played the PC version shortly before the voting...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2008, 12:31:39 AM »
Heres another classic one PS2 version of Guilty Gear Accent core getting an 8.5 and the Wii version getting a 5.9 because the reviewer judged it playing on the Wii remote and nunchuk as the default controller. The same reviewer reviewed both versions.

Epic LULZ

Quote from: Second Paragraph of the review
But before we really get started, we're going to come out and make things as clear as possible: if you own a Classic Controller, you might as well stop reading this article and hop over to the PS2 review instead, because if you're fortunate enough to have the controller handy, you'll be having virtually the exact same experience that PS2 owners are having with the game, and it's a great experience. If you're confined to the Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup, this is a very different and much worse game. So let's really get this show on the road.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2008, 01:39:18 AM »
I could've sworn that the whole point of giving you multiple control options was to make sure that one actually worked for people who played it. 
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.