Author Topic: PREVIEWS: Super Meat Boy  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
PREVIEWS: Super Meat Boy
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »
Meat Boy's transition to WiiWare brings a large selection of new material, a new art style, and a brand new multiplayer mode with a unique cast of characters.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/previewArt.cfm?artid=18163

There are many video games that started life as simple flash games; Alien Hominid and N+ (originally N) are two of the more notable titles to successfully make the transition to game consoles. The latest title making this transition is Meat Boy, originally a flash game featured on the popular Newgrounds website. Meat Boy is being "supersized" for WiiWare as Super Meat Boy. Edmund McMillen, creator of Meat Boy, claims that Super Meat Boy is "so amazing that you will crap your pants and so awesome that your body will suck the crap back up inside you."    

For the unfamiliar, the game is a platformer where players guide Meat Boy through increasingly difficult stages full of crumbling platforms, saw blades, and other deadly obstacles. According to McMillen, the game's inspiration was both Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Megaman. The intention was to make a game that's as frustrating as the source material, but forgiving enough to complete the game.    

McMillen also wanted to give Super Meat Boy a story packed full of 90's videogame clichés. In Super Meat Boy, Meat Boy tries to save a girl made out of Band-Aids from the game's villain, a fetus with a PhD ... in a jar (yes, seriously).    

Super Meat Boy will stay true to Meat Boy formula, however controls will be tighter and the levels will be completely fresh as they are being created from scratch. This will allow the creators to make the levels more complex by adding new elements such as side-scrolling areas, full-screen levels, and epic boss battles. McMillen expects that the final game will have around 100 levels, hidden areas, warp zones, and an expert chapter as an unlockable bonus. Additionally, the game will sport new fatal obstacles that must be avoided by Meat Boy and a fresh new art style.    

The game will also feature an all new multiplayer mode. Twelve independent developers' characters will be unlockable in the mode by collecting Band-Aids in the single player game. Currently, the team is also considering creating a level editor so that users can create their own content to further extend the experience.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
Re: PREVIEWS: Super Meat Boy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:09:09 PM »
One interesting thing to note is that McMillen expressed his gratitude towards Nintendo for supporting small independent developers, and Nintendo actually requested this to come to WiiWare because Nintendo was impressed with McMillen's other game Aether.  So it's really nice to see Nintendo encouraging small indy developers to create these games for WiiWare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »
"as they are bring creating from scratch" <-- spelling errors found. should be "being created"

But now I'm off to newgrounds to play the flash game as I've never played it before.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:45 PM »
"as they are bring creating from scratch" <-- spelling errors found. should be "being created"

But now I'm off to newgrounds to play the flash game as I've never played it before.

not anymore ;)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:54:25 PM »
So uh... what ESRB rating will this earn? M? T?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 02:31:22 AM »
It's got to be at least a "T" rating based on the name alone.

I can see the name being what sells this game to some, though for me I don't think I could own a game with the word "meat" in the title.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 02:38:36 AM »
I can only wonder one thing, if PETA will have a fit over this.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 03:19:31 AM »
I can only wonder one thing, if PETA will have a fit over this.

Hmm good question. Technically, Meat Boy is a generic piece of meat. The game doesn't promote the consumption of meat. But the word "meat" could be enough to get vegans upset.

Who knows? People like PETA are messed up. They didn't protest games like "Metal Gear Solid 3", which has the killing and consumption of animals. But protested "Cooking Mama" simply because she has meat based recipes (alongside MANY vegetarian dishes).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:17:26 AM »
Your whole family is made of meat.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 07:28:06 AM »
I've never played the flash version, but this sounds interesting. I'm wondering if all of the features mentioned in the article will make it into a WiiWare release. Does it seem overly ambitious to anyone else, or an I being too conservative here?

Really though, as long as the amazing and awesome levels are as high as claimed (and equal), I'll be checking this game out.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
The flash version is pretty awesome. I can't wait for this to hit WiiWare.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
Sorry for bumping this, but do you guys remember when we wondered if Super Meat Boy would annoy vegans and people like PETA?

I think this might do it...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cKd3zkJ6R8I/SeGPQJYteeI/AAAAAAAAARU/JZgXqmpoSpI/s1600-h/meat+cuts.jpg

Just you watch. The image becomes viral, it reaches the vegans, vegans throw a fit, show it to PETA, they do a press release, condemn the developers over the game's satirical humor, lulz ensues.

You can bet on this.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:37 PM »
What a great ad.  :D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!