Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #1: Dynamite Headdy)  (Read 12597 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #1: Dynamite Headdy)
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:02:45 AM »
This is the official forum thread of RFN's new play-along feature, RetroActive.  You can thank Greg for the name.  In order to get things going as soon as possible, we decided to simply choose the first game from a list of suggestions provided by RFN listeners in the Ep. 128 Talkback thread.  (I will reproduce those suggestions below, and everyone is encouraged to add even more suggestions in this thread.)  Subsequent games will be chosen by open poll in this same forum section, from a selection of games suggested by RFN listeners.

The first game we'll be playing and discussing is Dynamite Headdy, suggested by nron10 (a.k.a. Neal Ronaghan, though I didn't even pay attention to who it was until after we made the decision).  This Genesis action game from Treasure is available worldwide on Virtual Console for 800 Wii Points.  We thought it was an interesting, largely unknown game that would be pretty cheap and easy for us and all of you to try out.  The discussion will span one or possibly two upcoming episodes of RFN (just one segment in each, not the entire episodes).  The goal is to also have an open discussion about the game among listeners and the RFN crew in this forum thread, and we'll be reading some of the best comments on the show.

Comments on the game selection, the process, and the feature itself are always welcome in this thread.  Again, we are continuously seeking more game suggestions (please note that not all ideas will be included in the poll).  Finally, you can use this thread to start discussing Dynamite Headdy.  Who's going to get us started?

Game suggestions made in RFN 128 Talkback (I'm leaving out obvious jokes and games like Pikmin and Metroid Prime that are to be re-released soon):

Super Mario Sunshine - insanolord
Resident Evil (REmake for GC) - Mr. Adolph Vega
Baten Kaitos Origins - broodwars
Perfect Dark - broodwars
Goldeneye 007 - broodwars
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - broodwars
Resident Evil REmake or Zero - broodwars
Skies of Arcadia Legends - broodwars
Zelda: Wind Waker - broodwars
Timesplitters: Future Imperfect - broodwars
Super Mario Bros. 3 - GoldenPhoenix
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - GoldenPhoenix
Drill Dozer - TheYoungerPlumber
Viewtiful Joe - nron10
Comix Zone - nron10
Kid Chameleon - nron10
Shining Force II - nron10
Super Mario RPG - nron10
Donkey Kong 64 - nron10
Timesplitters 2 or 3 - nron10
Sega Soccer Slam - nron10
Super Monkey Ball - TheYoungerPlumber
Shining Force II - DrewMG
Super Mario Sunshine - DrewMG
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - DrewMG
Metroid II: Return of Samus - DrewMG
Wave Race 64 - D_Average
Baroque - Flames_of_chaos
Shiren the Wanderer - Flames_of_chaos
Link's Crossbow Training - D_Average
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:56:20 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline DmentD

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #1: Dynamite Headdy)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »
I was skeptical about trying this game.....but I did.  I haven't played through to much of it yet.....chuckled when I came across the stage "Toys in the Hood"  but it seems like a pretty decent platformer.   I will post more after I get a true feel for it.

If you have never played this game check this link...or even if you have you may want to check it out     http://www.freewebs.com/dhvstb/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:23:41 PM by DmentD »
keep on keepin' on!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:12 PM »
I'll pick this up tonight and give it a go. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
This game is awesome.
I will bust out my old Genesis to play along with this.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »
Also, listening along with the newest RFN, I decided to throw Starfox Adventures onto my Goozex queue so I can give that game a go.  I'd be down to do that in a future RetroActive.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:44:10 PM »
<3 Dynamite Headdy to bits. It's so quirky and the boss battles are awesome.

Finding those secret bonus points is really hard though.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »
I think this is a fantastic idea.  My hat is off to Sir Greg and the rest of the RFN Crew.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to participate in this particular RetroActive Discussion.  I'm currently playing through 4 games and simply don't have the time to properly play this game at the moment.  However, I plan to listen intently and hopefully join in next time.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
I'll download this tonight and have a look.  If it's a Treasure game, I'm in.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »
Played it just very briefly so far.  I saw that the controls have a button for "Cancel Head", but it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.  Can someone please explain?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
I have added all the (serious) suggestions from the other thread, so now everything is collected here.

I'll create the poll for RetroActive Game #2 this weekend, most likely, so get in your suggestions now if you want them to be considered this time.  The poll will probably have five nominees selected from everyone's suggestions so far.  If your suggestion isn't included in this poll, it may be in the next one.  I will down-select based on criteria such as price, availability, and discussion potential.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »
I know this is pretty cliched, as it's already been discussed several times on RFN, but I always love discussions of Majora, as it's one of my all time favorites.  so I'll throw that one into the mix for an eventual RetroActive: 

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64 or GC Collectors Disc - Hopefully soon on VC)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 09:07:08 AM »
I'll second Super Mario Sunshine (since I have a love affair with the game and everyone else seems to hate it).

Also, Perfect Dark/Goldeneye (I don't think you can talk about one without talking about the other).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »
Due to a currently crushing overtime schedule at work and the demands of being a dad to a 15 month-old, I probably won't be able to participate this week.   Here are some games I'd like to see considered on the curren or a future poll:

NES:
1. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
This is my favorite of the old-school Castlevania games. 

2. Super Mario World
I picked this because SMB3 is on the list; SMB3 is still my favorite among the mario games because of all the insane power-ups and numbers of levels within the worlds.  There's also something about SMW that shines; I really loved the freedom of movement and "floatiness" of Mario in this game.   At least from what I can remember, the levels were significantly fewer in number, but the level design was a bit longer and more complex.  Anyway, I wish that NMSB had drawn it's inspiration from one of these games instead of the orginal Super Mario Bros. 
It would be interesting to hear other people's opinions of SMW as it compares to SMB3.  I read somewhere where Miyamoto regretted that SMW was a little more rushed than it should have been.

3. Luigi's Mansion 
I've been thinking about dusting off my copy of this anyway.  I'll admit that my interest in it was sparked after reading IGN's blurb about wanting a sequel.  I'd agree with them on this, it was a very pretty, impressive launch title, though I wished the experience had more depth or length.  It was still a very beautiful game.

3. Beyond Good and Evil 
I got this years ago but lost interest early on for some reason.  I've still got it in the backlog and would like to give it another chance.

I looked on amazon, and unfortunately it seems to be more difficult and expensive to find a gamecube version of this game. 

4. Sin and Punishment
Would this count since it is still relatively new to those of us who don't import?  This is selfishly motivated...  (I haven't played it yet, but it would give me a good excuse to get it on VC) :)

This being said, I'm excited about hearing this new segment on the podcast.  I love retro discussions.  It's hard to believe I played a couple of these games half a lifetime ago.

Edit:  I'd second/third the votes for Majora's Mask, Mario Sunshine, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.  I wish I still had the means to play the latter two.  I rue the day that I sold my N64. :(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:11:31 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline DmentD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Played it just very briefly so far.  I saw that the controls have a button for "Cancel Head", but it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.  Can someone please explain?

I was curious about this at first also, but once you get a power up from "Headcase" you can cancel it with the "cancel head" button.   ;)
keep on keepin' on!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 03:37:40 AM »
Super Ghouls & Ghosts
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
Super Ghouls & Ghosts

Seconded.  I've been looking for an excuse to download this game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DmentD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
For those of you playing Dynamite Headdy...how far into it are you?  I am currently on  Scene 5-3 - TOWERING INTERNAL.  Some of these boss battles are pretty tricky.  This is my first time playing this game, and I must say its a good game to kick off RetroActive.
keep on keepin' on!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »
I would really want Sin & Punishment to get some lime-light. It's one 2nd favorite on-rails shooter, the first being Star Fox 64.

I read somewhere where Miyamoto regretted that SMW was a little more rushed than it should have been.
Hmm... might make an interesting discussion. It's hard not to start an interesting discussion on which Mario game is better: Mario 3 or Mario World?

I like both, but which one is better then the other? Mario 3, obviously.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 12:28:12 AM »
For those of you playing Dynamite Headdy...how far into it are you?  I am currently on  Scene 5-3 - TOWERING INTERNAL.  Some of these boss battles are pretty tricky.  This is my first time playing this game, and I must say its a good game to kick off RetroActive.

I made it up to 3-4 so far.

I don't think it's one of Treasure's best games but it has all of their hallmarks.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »
I played to 4-2 in about 50 minutes.  It feels a litte dry for a treasure game.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:14 AM »
Getting deeper into this game, it just keeps getting weirder. By the end of Act 6, it occurred to me that Dynamite Headdy may be to puppetry what Cho Aniki is to homoeroticism. It all adds to the charm though, and I'm enjoying it much more as things are getting harder and more complicated, the boss fights in particular. I'll just never look at nested dolls the same way again.   
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 01:44:02 AM »
By the end of Act 6, it occurred to me that Dynamite Headdy may be to puppetry what Cho Aniki is to homoeroticism.

I can see the back of the box for the Dynamite Headdy re-release now:

Dynamite Headdy may be to puppetry what Cho Aniki is to homoeroticism.     - Greg Leahy, Nintendo World Report
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 01:56:43 PM »
By the end of Act 6, it occurred to me that Dynamite Headdy may be to puppetry what Cho Aniki is to homoeroticism.

I've pondered over this sentence for quite some time and I'm still not quite sure what it means.  ??? ;D

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »
The beginning never made much sense to me as a kid.
I did enjoy this game a lot despite the problems it has.

It reminds me of Mischief Makers/MM reminded me of this.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
At least MM made some sense, as crazy as it was.  Dynamite Headdy is just out there.  Half the time I don't even know what's going on...at the end of the first level I'd accrued points and "beaten" something, but I had no idea what the hell I did.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog