Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Ocarina of Time  (Read 13020 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Ocarina of Time
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
Jonny, Greg, Evan, and the ghost of Jon Lindemann look back at one of the greatest and most beloved games of all time on its tenth birthday.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=17249

We celebrate a decade of Zelda in the third dimension.  

Special: Ocarina of Time 10th Anniversary    

AAC Format    Subscribe to AAC Feed    

MP3 Format    Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes    Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

November 23 was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's tenth birthday, and while Nintendo fans around the world blew out their golden cartridges to celebrate with a trip back (and forth) in time through Hyrule circa 1998 on Nintendo 64, the RFN crew decided that this was an occasion worthy of a special episode.    

Host Jonathan Metts, token foreigner Greg Leahy, and lightning rod Jon Lindemann welcomed special guest Evan Burchfield back into the RFN fold to reminisce about the interminable wait for Zelda's first foray into 3D, share the joy of experiencing the incredible final product, and ponder its significance as one of the most remarkable and groundbreaking games of all time.    

This being RFN though, there were technical problems, in this case meaning that Mr. Lindemann's audio was sealed away in the Sacred Realm to be used as a punching bag for a very angry Ganondorf to kill a few centuries with. Fortunately, much of the discussion was not compromised by this sad turn of events, so there's still a great deal of Ocarina retrospection to enjoy. As for what Jon made of it all, I guess that will have to wait for 2018….      

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by James Jones.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!    

Additional music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is copyrighted to Nintendo, and is included under fair use protection.

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Ocarina of Time
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:08:24 AM »
I really loved this episode, guys. It's perhaps my favorite RFN. I'm in the middle of replaying Twilight Princess, too, so it's especially topical.

BTW, both times when playing TP I got Metroid Prime vibes. Now I know it's the other way around :)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »
The Zelda that ruined Zelda forever! Yay!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »
this was unexpected. I totally forgot about 10 years of Zelda in 3d. I can't to listen to this later today.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:20:11 PM »

So you hated the fact that Zelda was put into 3D?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »

Don't get sucked in Lindy!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »
Is it a safe assumption that Crimm edited this?  If so, he did an awesome job given the technical difficulties.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »

I hated the implementation, the lock-on fighting made combat a lot more tedious than before and having stuff like the hookshot limited to specifically marked targets on the walls made many puzzles devolve into using the item that matches a specific level element. Overall it felt much less dynamic than 2d Zelda.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:49:09 PM »
Great episode guys, and fantastic editing. Audio problems seemed almost non-existent with the fading music (which was quite fitting with discussions).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »
About halfway through listening to it and I've been enjoying so far.

Humorous note though. I got back to my dorm after class and my roommate was playing Ocarina of Time. I made some comment like "Celebrating the anniversary?" and he flatly replied "What anniversary?"
He started playing the game on the exact day of the 10 year anniversary and had no idea about the anniversary. Must just be in the air.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
Should've hinted at the 2nd ending.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 08:19:23 PM »
I hated the implementation, the lock-on fighting made combat a lot more tedious than before and having stuff like the hookshot limited to specifically marked targets on the walls made many puzzles devolve into using the item that matches a specific level element. Overall it felt much less dynamic than 2d Zelda.

Fascinating.  I used to think you just hated everything non-Nintendo, then I realized you hated everything that ran in HD, and now you say you hate Ocarina of Time.  What do you like aside from Apogee, KDR?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline SkiDragon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »
I have a low tech suggestion. Buy tape recorders. They are much more reliable. If your audio recording onto the computer fails, you can simply play back the tape later to recover your lost conversation.

I agree with some of the comments above. While certainly an excellent game and innovative on several fronts, I think the game is a bit over rated. I recall even losing interest in in half way through, and only coming back to finish it some months later. It made the transition to 3D as well as any series could hope to, but I still find Zelda more at home in 2D. I would like to see a new 2D Zelda game, with as much time and dedication put into it as would be put into any new AAA game. And I'd like to see it on a console. On a disk.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
For some reason when I download the podcast in MP3 form it says it can't open the file.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 04:14:32 AM »
2D Zelda >>>> 3D Zelda.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 06:24:43 AM »
Ocarina is probably my 3rd-favorite Zelda game, preceeded by Twilight Princess at 2 and Majora's Mask at 1.  It still has my favorite Zelda dungeons and bosses, though, and the sheer scope of the game is incredibly impressive for its time.  Ocarina also introduced a sense of cinematic presentation and story to the series that we're still seeing the ripple effects of today.  One thing, though, related to your discussion of the game: Z-Targeting DOES have a gameplay element: while Z-Targeting Link raises his shield, and it is the ONLY way to have his raise his shield while moving.  Otherwise, he just stops in place and you can move his shield around.

As I said, though, my favorite Zelda is Majora's Mask, partly because it is so abstract and inventive.  However, the big reason it's my favorite Zelda game is that it's the only one in the entire series that goes to great lengths to make you feel like you are a part of the game world, that the actions you make actually make a difference to the people around you.  Throughout the game, you essentially become a citizen of Termina: you follow their movements, you learn their stories and ambitions, and in the end you make decisions that personally impact their lives.  And through this, you gain a connection to these NPCs and I can't think of another Nintendo game that does this so well.  When nighttime of Day 3 comes around the world comes to an end, you CARE about what happens to the world as the ground starts shaking and the clock tower starts chiming like an air raid warning.  THAT'S what I want in the next Zelda game: that connection and the feeling that my actions make a difference, not just Wiimote controls and better graphics.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 07:44:54 AM »
I beat Ocarina of Time. I never beat Link to the Past. Therefore, Ocarina of Time is superior to Link to the Past.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 11:20:27 AM »
I talking to a friend about Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and it dawned on me that Majora's Mask is kind of like the movie Groundhog Day.
Then I pictured Bill Murray as Link.
I'd totally play that game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 11:42:58 AM »
"and it dawned on me that Majora's Mask is kind of like the movie Groundhog Day."

COPYRIGHT VIOLATION.  VIOLATION.

INTERNET PREVIEWS FROM 2001 WANT THEIR HEADLINE BACK.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
Uh-oh. I just revealed I wasn't 'net crazy seven years ago. Whoops.

Whatever. I still enjoy my Bill Murray as Link mental image.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
My bad, it's supposed to be 2000.

Get Smart Bill Murray, as the Deku Tree.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »
Get Smart Bill Murray, as the Deku Tree.

That would be amazing.
Just get all the characters that Bill Murray has played through the years and match them up with Zelda characters.
I'm sure Steve Zissou could be a character from Wind Waker.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
Thanks for the episode all.

the only thing I have to say about is my disappointment about the absence of James. Also, all of KDR's posts in this thread suck and I wanna comment on Jon's feelings about Mirror's Edge.  Jon have you played this game yet? Beaten it by chance? It doesn't seem much beyond Assassin's Creed but in first person to me. It's an okay game though.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 03:56:18 AM »
I loved the part where Jonny sounded like he was responding to the voices in his head where he said something, and then he said "Yeah".

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
I loved the part where Jonny sounded like he was responding to the voices in his head where he said something, and then he said "Yeah".

When you learn to quiet your mind, you too will be able to hear the ghost of Jon Lindemann (tip: if it tells you to buy a PS3, it's probably Lindy, anything else...maybe consulting a psychiatrist would be in order).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 01:44:35 PM by Yoshidious »
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor