Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

What's Next For The N64 Expansion Pack?

<< < (5/7) > >>

NWR_insanolord:
Based on some of the stuff they’ve put on the service, broad appeal isn’t at all necessary for Nintendo to consider it. I’m pretty sure more people care about Harvest Moon than WinBack.

Mop it up:
Wait wait wait woah woah wait, was there no game released in September? What gives?!

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: Mop it up on October 02, 2022, 11:12:55 AM ---Wait wait wait woah woah wait, was there no game released in September? What gives?!

--- End quote ---

I guess they are making up for it with 2 Mario Party games releasing this week.

Welp, Mario Party is what got me to take on the Expansion Pak online addition. That said, I also got the Family plan and currently have two people joining me as I look for one more to make it a 4 person plan and then we can all just keep paying as if it were the regular online fee.

With the two Mario Party games on their way, that will give the N64 App 21 games which equals the amount of 64 games released on the Wii U and there's more on the way so it will be surpassing the Wii U offerings as anticipated. Will the N64 get as high as 40 games on the app after all? I felt somewhere that this was my predication for what could theoretically be possible especially if Rare games are in the mix.

Khushrenada:
As for the current games on the App, the first thing I went to was the old Super Mario 64. You know, it's really been a long time since I last played this. It isn't something I thought about or noticed since that game is highly ingrained in my memory and so much about it has been imaged and referenced through the years. But the last time I played this would have been around 2016 when A Straight Up Trippin' Balls Forum User had the idea to do a gaming Olympics and I participated by seeing how many coins I could collect in World 15. (That was an odd sentence.) But aside from replaying that one level, I think the last time I fully played through this game was around 2005 when SM64DS came bundled with the DS system I just bought.

Playing it again now, it's a weird blend of almost feeling fresh while also feeling routine. I'm reading all the signs and relearning the controls a bit while mostly just collecting them stars pretty efficiently and as I pretty much know what to do. For instance, I remember it took a long time to master that flight cap and collect the 8 red coins in the area where you press the red switch to activate those caps in levels. This time around, I got them on my second try. I've collected all 7 stars for World's 1, 2 and 5 along with like 7 or 8 Secret Castle stars and left off at World 6. Skipped World 3 and 4 for now. The hardest thing sometimes has been camera control and fighting how I want to turn it sometimes. Although the actual hardest thing was getting to the Boo balcony / roof in World 5. I knew where to go but could just not jump up to it. I was trying all manner of things for like 30 minutes including going back through the rest of the area to make sure I wasn't missing a switch to give me a middle platform or lower it because it seemed to be too high to reach the door for the area. Finally pulled off getting up there only to slide off the roof after when going to collect the star. Got frustrated enough to see what sort of move I should be making and looked up a couple videos of the level being played to see people doing a wall kick that was enough to reach the area. A couple more successes of getting up to the top and falling off the roof eventually led to me getting that darned star by being smart and making some save states along the way. I knew I needed to get up there for one more star and as I did more practicing and trying to recall how I used to handle this in the past, I had a moment at last in which I finally clued in on the control combination that got Mario up there and then I was able to get up there much quicker and in time with the Vanish cap. Still, by far, my most hated moment when replaying this game right now. What was the thinking on that design?

Also dove into Mario Golf, a pull of nostalgia. Up there with the Mario Party games and Mario Kart for the most multiplayer I did on the system. My brother and I played many golf tours against each other. Playing it again now, I miss a few refinements that the series had from the last time I played it which was World Tour on 3DS. However, I've been able adjust enough to what it has and feel I've been doing slightly better than when I last played it. The added nostalgia hit from the music has kept me coming back for a few more holes. But, hoo-eee, I imagine this game will get a "Special" edition like some of the SNES games had in which it unlocks everything because having to unlock all the additional characters seems like such a long task right now that I'm not sure I'm all that up to doing again.

Another game I've dabbled in is Dr. Mario 64. After UncleBob's longtime praise of it on these forums and remembering how I always kind of wanted to rent it and try it from the days of Blockbuster and later regretted not trying it, I find I'm not that blown away by it. So far I've just done a session in the story mode which has been a rather weak story. It's just been the Dr. Mario experience. Doesn't seem like anything new or different from what has come before. It has the feel of Nintendo betting on the appeal being limited and not spending too much money on it so that it is more of a budget title or, let's say, B picture compared to the prestige or blockbuster picture of a Super Mario 64.

R.I.P. to my Switch backlog. Those games now seem even further away of getting played with me in N64 mode. (And still no DK64 in sight despite thinking it might be happening before some of the other stuff now getting released like the Mario Party games and Goldeneye. Probably for the best though. That's a long game I don't know why I want to play through more Beaver Bother again.)

Mop it up:
I guess they didn't want to release the first Mario Party game on its own because of the stick-spinning stuff. I'm guessing Goldeneye 007 will be in December then.

I'm already in my own family plan so can't help you there Khushrenada, but I'd be interested in playing these games with your group, if our schedules can match up.

Dr. Mario 64 was indeed a budget title that was released only in NA in 2001, MSRP $30 USD. Its main claim to fame is that it's still the only Dr. Mario game with a four-player mode. Pretty crazy I know, but it's true! Or at least, in terms of regular gameplay. The WiiWare game has some four-player side mode where everyone cooperates to drop pills in the same bottle, but that was it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version