Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 759924 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1675 on: August 13, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »
I'm curious to know what you, as a Pinball aficionado, think of Kirby's Pinball Land for Gameboy and Mario Pinball Land for GBA. And have you played Rollers of the Realm for Vita, or Odama for Gamecube? It's strange, but I'm kind of getting interested in pinball games lately, since getting Kirby's Pinball Land from Club Nintendo. It's fun, but I hate how all of my progress can be lost so quickly with a run of bad luck.

Although I love pinball, I'm not very good about it and not really deserving of the aficionado label. But I'm happy to share my thoughts.

Kirby's Pinball Land is an old favorite. When I was in high school I got the original game for Christmas one year, so my opinion may be colored by nostalgia. The table design is generally solid given the time and limitations when it was made, and mini-games are fun. But I agree with you: the physics aren't great and it's easy for a run of bad luck to end your game. The save mechanic seems intended to mitigate that, and generally works well once you take time to master the timing. One other thing that bugs me are the interludes when you hit different scoring milestones, which can be awkward interruptions and cause you to lose focus. Own this on 3DS Virtual Console and still play now and then.

If you Kirby's Pinball, track down Revenge of the Gator which has a similar feel (but only one table).

Mario Pinball Land is a game that I hadn't played until the last year or so. It seems to have reviewed pretty poorly, but I feel like it's got a bad rap. There are multiple goals to chase on each screen and a handful of different multi-screen levels to explore. Variety isn't an issue, and trying to figure out where each star can be earned will take some effort. Physics still aren't great, and graphics don't really impress, but I've spent a dozen or more hours playing and found that it became more interesting the better I got. One warning: if you dislike how quickly the game can end in Kirby, this might leave you even more frustrated.

Both of these games are a little bit different from what I usually play, because they have a different kind of structure from "normal" pinball.

I haven't tried Odama or Rollers of the Realm, so can't give any comment. 

Have you given any of the Zen Pinball games a shot?  On 3DS there are three separate released - one for Zen Pinball with some of their original tables, one with Star Wars themed tables, and one with Marvel superhero tables.  All three are worth trying, especially if you can wait and get them on sale. The Star Wars set is a little bit disappointing because it's only 3 tables instead of 4 like in other sets, and because the tables are more buggy than the other releases.  (The Empire Strikes Back table in particular has an unfortunate bug that makes it nearly impossible to complete one special mode.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »
Odama is amazingly awesome.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 19, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »
Grabbed a couple of used DS games today:

1. Mega Man ZX Advent ($5) - Feel really good about this price, and keen on playing it after having recently finished Mega Man X on Virtual Console.

2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin ($9) - Less thrilled about the pricing, as this is upper level of what I would pay out... but now have both DS games and the original GBA title too. So that's kind of cool.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 19, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 20, 2015, 01:59:28 AM »
Invisible Inc.

A quintessential easy to learn, hard to master game which is as far as I know one of a kind. Turn based stealth. Sure you can kill people, but that has consequences that can cause a beautiful failure cascade as the alarm increases out of control drawing ever more guards and security measures till everybody is down on the ground breathing through a hole in their chest.

The RNG can be a real pain as it can present you with a near impossible combination and having you always coming into a level blind. That said, it prevents it being a completely solvable puzzle game and makes getting more intelligence a your number one goal. I also feels great when you pull off a completely BS moves on half a dozen guards with a combination of cloaks, distractions, take downs, body drag, stun traps, computer hacks in one turn so you can both complete your objective and get the team out alive.

A great tense game. I would recommend to just about anybody.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: August 20, 2015, 06:02:11 AM »
Lost Dimension

Played the first set of levels and got to the first judgement. It's very turn-based JRPG but it works pretty well. The traitor mechanic is interesting although the first judgement is for the most part scripted. I believe the traitor on the first playthrough is fixed, and then is randomly generated on subsequent playthroughs.

I do like that you're not the sole deciding voice in who gets "erased" from your party, that you have to sway the democracy as everyone gets a vote. I do wonder how this will all play out as I reach the endgame and I may or may not have offed the traitors in my party.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 23, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »
Little Battlers Experience

The story is kinda boring for me since I've already seen the anime & it follows it exactly. But the gameplay is probably the closest thing I'll see to a Gotcha Force 2 so enjoying the heck out of that. Oh & the random encounter rate is so high that I don't even bother grinding against NPCs for battles unless I need some extra money & I'm beside a store.
Mission...complete?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: September 05, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »
Meh. Bought a second Wii U. Now that Netflix has been updated, I'm less interested in keeping an old Wii in our bedroom just for streaming - might put it in the basement for the kids instead.  At $80, and with two kids at home, I'm happy to call it "gamepad insurance" in case one gets accidentally damaged or destroyed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:37:02 PM by ejamer »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: September 05, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »
Rebuild 3:Gangs of Deadsville iOS iPhone 5s

I should have learned my first time from buying a game on iOS. I like the game well enough, just that the controls are just awful. I am constantly making interface mistakes and the UI takes far to much work to get to where you need to be which means you constantly have to repeat the same steps to do the same thing for another character.

No more paying for iOS games ever. No matter how good your game might be, the controls will always be **** and nothing short of actual buttons is going to change that. Nintendo portable game space is here to stay.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 06, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
No more paying for iOS games ever.

I made this decision three years ago and haven't regretted it.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: September 06, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
Just picked up a copy of Dragon Quest 8 from a used game store for £10! Seems though Square Enix has no intention of bringing the remakes to the west so it looks like I'll be playing it on PS2.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 06, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »
No more paying for iOS games ever.
I made this decision three years ago and haven't regretted it.
I have maybe spent about $10 so far, so it's a pretty cheap lesson. The same lesson no doubt also applies to Android.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 07, 2015, 04:22:25 AM »
I have never spent a dime on Google Play or Amazon's store. I would get the free app of the day in Amazon but it seems they decided to scrap that for an new subscription service. There were a few apps I got for free through their old program while I would have been willing to pay for, but they are few and far between.

Biggest sting is Plants Vs Zombies 2. I would gladly pay a single payment to get the full game but EA caused it to be revolving around micro transactions. I still play it but only from time to time. I would pay up to $25 for a full Android or eShop edition. I'm holding out hope that we will get a "full version" once they feel they have gotten enough sales off of the micro trans.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TGT

• View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: September 13, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
super smash bros. for 3ds

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1689 on: September 13, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
Hi TGT... did u introduce yourself to the forums?
Made you look ****.

Offline TGT

• View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: September 20, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »
Hi TGT... did u introduce yourself to the forums?
yeah?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:49 AM »
Ugh... Bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3D last week.

Don't own a New 3DS yet so can't play it.  Pricing wasn't great.  Really very little reason to have purchased, but there are rumors it's going out of print after recently gone out of stock at many Canadian retailer. Even though keeping the only retail New 3DS exclusive game in print should be a given, I have absolutely no faith in NoA (or Canada) and don't want to miss the opportunity to own a portable version of one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 21, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: September 22, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »

Dang!  I know you're the resident Skylanders fanatic, but FIVE copies of the game?!?!?1 (4 if counting the 3DS one as a separate game).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 22, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
You... may want to recount...

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: September 22, 2015, 11:34:54 PM »
You... may want to recount...

LOL….Can I blame it on a lack of sleep?  I blame it on a lack of sleep.

Have you cracked any of your copies open to actually play?  Thoughts?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 23, 2015, 08:15:36 AM »
Haven't had a chance to play yet. :(

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 23, 2015, 05:09:16 PM »
He's too busy waiting in line to get extra copies of the retro 3 amiibo pack at Gamestop. One to keep in box, one to open and collect dust (my favorite option), and one for the lulz.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »
Do you own an Xbone or PS4? Or am I missing the point?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:27 PM »
Do you own an Xbone or PS4? Or am I missing the point?

No.  Needed those sets for figures that were exclusive(-ish) to them.  :/

Figure I might be able to resell the rest to recoup some of my investment.