Poll

Which N64 game should we play together and discuss on Radio Free Nintendo?

Yoshi's Story
29 (30.9%)
Banjo-Tooie
12 (12.8%)
Wave Race 64
9 (9.6%)
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
22 (23.4%)
Perfect Dark
22 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: September 30, 2010, 11:31:15 AM

Author Topic: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition  (Read 27125 times)

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
Re: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
Perfect Dark is one of my most favourite games ever. As far as console FPS games go, it is one of the best.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »
Despite the good point that the last retroactive covered a 30 hour game, and that Ogre Battle is an 80 hour marathon to complete, my vote still goes to Ogre Battle, because it's that awesome.  Perfect Dark was a close second though, with Wave Race not all that far behind.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »
I almost forgot, why isn't Superman 64 on the poll? I nominated it a while back, I'm pretty sure at least one other person backed it. Did you think it was a joke response? With the amount of garbage games released on the Wii, it would be a more relevant discussion than it would seem.

It's true that multiple people have nominated Superman 64. However, it is a universally loathed game. I've played it myself and can confirm that it's absolute garbage. It can be funny to laugh at in a B-movie kind of way, but YouTube is just as good for that and costs nothing. I can't imagine discussing the game for more than a couple of minutes; it has virtually no redeeming qualities.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
I can not think of a greater punishment than to ask someone to play Super Man 64.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 01:04:38 AM »
It's true that multiple people have nominated Superman 64. However, it is a universally loathed game. I've played it myself and can confirm that it's absolute garbage. It can be funny to laugh at in a B-movie kind of way, but YouTube is just as good for that and costs nothing. I can't imagine discussing the game for more than a couple of minutes; it has virtually no redeeming qualities.
A game needs to have redeeming qualities in order to have something to discuss? I just thought it would lead to good topics like how bad games can get, if bad games make you appreciate good ones, if it is fair to claim a game you never played is bad, etc. Of course, most of these don't really pertain to the game itself, and I s'pose RetroActive is meant to focus on the actual games themselves. I guess that'd work better as more generalized topics.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 01:13:11 AM »
I seem to recall GP threatening me with physical violence if I supported Superman 64 for Retroactive. She said it was a crime to force you guys to have to play through it.

I'm rooting for the under dog of Ogre Battle. I'm gonna start a new game since I didn't get very far in it when I got an old copy online.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 03:06:59 AM »
I can not think of a greater punishment than to ask someone to play Super Man 64.

There's always Wind Waker.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
A game needs to have redeeming qualities in order to have something to discuss? I just thought it would lead to good topics like how bad games can get, if bad games make you appreciate good ones, if it is fair to claim a game you never played is bad, etc. Of course, most of these don't really pertain to the game itself, and I s'pose RetroActive is meant to focus on the actual games themselves. I guess that'd work better as more generalized topics.

Let's not be silly. RetroActive is a community-driven feature and a sure-fire way to alienate 99% of the community is to ask them to spend their money on a piece of garbage.

Could we get a hint on how the voting is progressing? I'm not suggesting you tell us which game is winning, I'm just curious as to whether it is a close call or if there's one candidate way out in front of the rest.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »
Mop, why don't you send us an email about those topics? We do want to keep RetroActive discussions focused on the individual games.

The results are extremely close right now. I think this is probably the most even field we've ever had.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »
Makes me happy that I went with Ogre Battle. I almost didn't because I felt it didn't stand a chance but if all of them are neck and neck then there is hope.
My Game Collection

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »

There's always Wind Waker.

Should we ever meet, face to face, I may be forced to kill you. With some kind of blunt object.

Or fire. Maybe a blunt object that's ON fire.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2010, 05:05:17 PM »
Makes me happy that I went with Ogre Battle. I almost didn't because I felt it didn't stand a chance but if all of them are neck and neck then there is hope.

The only shame would be that it is virtually impossible that we would get to the ending and get to discuss the Chaos Frame construct.  Despite beating the game multiple times I've never got the "Good End" Chaos Frame.  I'm always driven out like a warmonger.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »
We've all wanted to kill Zap at one point or another, but that's just a part of what makes him endearing.

Offline jimwood27

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:42 PM »
I went with Banjo Tooie just because I feel there may be more to talk about with that game.  I am interested in playing Yoshi's Story and Wave Race 64 but feel the conversation might not be as strong.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
We've all wanted to kill Zap at one point or another, but that's just a part of what makes him endearing.

I'd be mad at Zap all the time if I took him seriously.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 02:04:49 AM »
Moi? I'm just a run-of-the-mill poster. And I don't even play Mafia.

I hope Perfect Dark wins, I'm going to buy it if it does. If it doesn't then I will at least have an extra $10 to give to the needy.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline anand

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »
Yoshi's Story! It's a wacky, crazy, deeply idiosyncratic game with beautiful aesthetics that more people should appreciate.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2010, 12:06:49 AM »
I have a feeling that this retroactive will be a toss up between Yoshi's Story and Perfect Dark.

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
The results are extremely close right now. I think this is probably the most even field we've ever had.

That's what was said in the last poll, only to find out in the end when Mother 3 won by a landslide that the previous comment was less than honest (as admitted to in a post after the results were posted).  I made the mistake of believing you last time.  Not this time though.  :cool;

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
I can tell you this. It was close when Jonny posted that. It's not so much anymore.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »
The suspense is killing me and I want Perfect Dark.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2010, 12:50:39 AM »
I can tell you this. It was close when Jonny posted that. It's not so much anymore.

Well, there went what little shred of hope I might have had for OB64 winning the poll.  I don't see much chance of that game ever winning a poll by a large margin against this competition.  Great, it'll probably be Perfect Dark or Yoshi's Story.  I hope at least that Yoshi's Story loses.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52:29 AM »
I think more people would be able to play and discuss Yoshi's Story, and it hasn't had as much discussion as Perfect Dark (yes I know I have argued against that idea when I was campaigning for Super Mario World despite how much that game had already been talked about).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »
I think more people would be able to play and discuss Yoshi's Story, and it hasn't had as much discussion as Perfect Dark (yes I know I have argued against that idea when I was campaigning for Super Mario World despite how much that game had already been talked about).

You might very well be right about that.  Yoshi's Story is just a game I didn't care about when it came out, I don't care about it now, and would rather not have a large portion of upcoming podcasts devoted to it.  Perfect Dark I at least have a current save on for the 360 version, and this might prod me to actually finish it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2010, 03:43:58 AM »
Poor Ogre Battle...  :'(

I actually hope Banjo-Tooie wins. I was going to vote for that one but then I decided to go with the one I wanted the most instead of one more likely to win since it sounded like OB might have a good run if I supported it.

I've been thinking about playing BT again for a while now.
My Game Collection