Author Topic: Retro: Dread Reference in Prime 3 Just a 'Coincidence'  (Read 6378 times)

Offline miket

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Retro: Dread Reference in Prime 3 Just a 'Coincidence'
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »
Move along, this isn’t a hint about the 2D Metroid you’ve been looking for.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14487

Metroid fans everywhere have been abuzz for the last several weeks with the tantalizing tease of the fabled Metroid Dread game found tucked away in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Meticulous players quickly found an out-of-the way computer panel in the second half of Prime 3 that offered the following tease: “Experiment status report update. Metroid project ‘Dread’ is nearing the final stages of completion." Metroid Dread, of course, is an infamous name to Internet rumormongers, which allegedly appeared on some early E3 documents in 2005 and was reported on in an issue of Game Informer as being a new 2D Metroid installment. Since then, speculation has run amok as to whether or not the game actually existed and whether or not Nintendo would ever confirm the title. Many assumed that the Dread reference in Prime 3 was all but confirmation that Dread is real.    

Retro Studios' Mark Pacini, director of Prime 3, told MTV’s Multiplayer Blog that the reference had nothing to do with the over-rumored DS game. “It’s not what you think it means," Pacini said.  â€œIt was something that was overlooked and wasn’t in any way indicating anything about the handheld game. We know no information about the handheld games." Pacini went on to explain that the mention of Dread was actually a reference to a narrative thread contained in an earlier version of Prime 3 that Retro eventually chose to take out. The fact that the scan-able object remained in the game was an oversight, and “a complete and utter coincidence," according to Pacini.    

Earlier this month, UK games site CVG reported on a statement to them from an unnamed source at Nintendo claiming, “Nintendo is not making the 2D Metroid at this time." While these statements may still prove a little porous for many die-hard believers, those looking for a 2D Metroid fix may have to content themselves with the Virtual Console for a good while yet.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Retro: Dread Reference in Prime 3 a 'Coincidence'
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »
I can't help but feel that this is a lie...What are the chances of just "coincidentally" naming something after another game (that actually exists or existed at some point) in the series?  Pretty slim, I'd say...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:02:56 PM »
It's the Hot Coffee of our time.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:37:14 PM »
Anyone recall when rumors of a DS revision surfaced and Nintendo flat-out denied there was a new DS coming, and like a MONTH LATER revealed the DS LITE.
Or the rumors of Rare's departure that Nintendo officially denied until the DAY IT HAPPENED. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Iwata himself said it wasn't happening THE DAY BEFORE it was officially announced by MS.

Basically, as far as Nintendo is concerned, if it's not officially announced it doesn't exist yet and they'll deny it to the very end.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
I just shows that they're incompetent, just like their parent company.  Deal with it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
RE:Retro: Dread Reference in Prime 3 a 'Coincidence'
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 11:59:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I can't help but feel that this is a lie...What are the chances of just "coincidentally" naming something after another game (that actually exists or existed at some point) in the series?  Pretty slim, I'd say...

Yeah but why attribute to foreshadowing what can be reasonably explained with lulz?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 12:28:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
I just shows that they're incompetent, just like their parent company.  Deal with it.

STUPID LIKE A FOX

I bet Retro are laughing at stirring up the interweb crowd.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:14:53 AM »
Hell, if I were going to lie about it, I'd at least be an a-hole about it.

"Actually, we have no idea if they're making it or not. We just put it in there to screw with you guys."
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 04:19:28 AM »
... right, sure it was.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 05:02:02 AM »
I'm curious where they will go next with the Metroid series.  After Fusion they gave up and remade the first game (dramatically).  The only other game that could use re-envisioning is the 2nd.  I really wish they hadn't made Fusion though.  They changed Samus so much...

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 06:30:37 AM »

They changed Samus so much...

Actually . . . in my view they didn't change Samus enough. Instead she got a (crappy) new suit design and that was it. At the end, when it was all said and done, she is pretty much the same.

As for the topic of dread, I too find it hard to believe this was just a coincidence and that they forgot to take out the message as it was once part of a narrative thread . . . it's not THAT well hidden in the game. In fact when I came across it I was surprised that it was just a monitor in an area where I was trying to access anyway. It wasn't tucked away in some small corridor where people would rarely find/go.

I think it's 1) just a cover up and they don't want to confirm anything until it's officially announced (as others have said) or 2) they put it in the game thinking dread was a sure thing but now it's not so they are just playing it off as a coincidence.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 07:00:43 AM »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 07:06:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

They changed Samus so much...

Actually . . . in my view they didn't change Samus enough. Instead she got a (crappy) new suit design and that was it. At the end, when it was all said and done, she is pretty much the same.

As for the topic of dread, I too find it hard to believe this was just a coincidence and that they forgot to take out the message as it was once part of a narrative thread . . . it's not THAT well hidden in the game. In fact when I came across it I was surprised that it was just a monitor in an area where I was trying to access anyway. It wasn't tucked away in some small corridor where people would rarely find/go.

I think it's 1) just a cover up and they don't want to confirm anything until it's officially announced (as others have said) or 2) they put it in the game thinking dread was a sure thing but now it's not so they are just playing it off as a coincidence.

Or 3) They thought it would be funny to f*ck with the fanboys.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 08:51:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
Anyone recall when rumors of a DS revision surfaced and Nintendo flat-out denied there was a new DS coming, and like a MONTH LATER revealed the DS LITE.
Or the rumors of Rare's departure that Nintendo officially denied until the DAY IT HAPPENED. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Iwata himself said it wasn't happening THE DAY BEFORE it was officially announced by MS.

Or "TP is not going to have waggle".

Besides they gave a non-answer, it really can be one way or the other, Kaplan would be proud.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »
That's total BS.  It was put there (and left in) on purpose.  It's not like it was a hard thing to find/scan.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »

Instead she got a (crappy) new suit design and that was it.

The PED suit is her best suit to date.

Anyway, if/when they make Metroid Dread, I think they should pull a New Super Mario Bros. and have the game engine be 3D, but have the gameplay be 2D.

"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 09:02:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Instead she got a (crappy) new suit design and that was it.

Anyway, if/when they make Metroid Dread, I think they should pull a New Super Mario Bros. and have the game engine be 3D, but have the gameplay be 2D.

Let's not have them pull a New Super Mario Bros, I'd rather not be severely let down!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 01:30:23 AM »
I agree with most everyone here: there's no way this was a coincidence, and I think they're lying through their teeth. Who knows if the game is actually coming? It doesn't matter; this couldn't have slipped under their radar and was not an accident. To quote Heywood Floyd: "Its origin and purpose are still a total mystery."

I actually passed this scan over on my first run-through of the room, only to accidentally notice it on a second pass. I don't know if that speaks any to the relative availability of the scan.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 01:33:59 AM »

You do know I wasn't talking about the PED suit right?

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 06:40:37 AM »
then you are wrong because the light/dark suits are her bests
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 07:28:38 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
then you are wrong because the light/dark suits are her bests

Truth.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 07:37:30 AM »
I'll take Zero Suit for a thousand, Alex.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 10:52:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I can't help but feel that this is a lie...

Pfft. Next you'll be telling me the Beatles were lying when they said "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" wasn't about LSD.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »

You do know I wasn't talking about the PED suit right?

I haven't played MP3 yet, and the PED suit was the only new suit I knew about.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 10:58:42 AM »
The comment was about the Fusion suit, in regards to what Rize had said.