Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674887 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: about to take our talents to Brooklyn
« Reply #1525 on: July 09, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »
Patrick McCaw is just Norris Cole 2.0.

Not a bad comparison at all!

McCaw makes a better joke though, because of unexpectedly (to most) winning a third time after signing with the Raptors last year. I don't mean that to be as negative as it sounds - he's still a pro and works hard, I just don't think he's really the kind of X-factor that would determine who wins a championship.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 09, 2019, 09:24:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1148762773595328512?s=20

I know the commissioner of any league is supposed to carry water for the owners but c'mon man, maybe don't make it this obvious?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1527 on: July 09, 2019, 09:40:39 PM »
The Spurs landed Marcus Morris for two years, $20 million to the Spurs. I was really hoping the Lakers could pull that off.
This deal has been changed. He is going to the Knicks after the Knicks found extra cap space from the reworked Reggie Bullock deal.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1528 on: July 09, 2019, 10:35:29 PM »
So in the past few months I have been watching Raptors content and I came across one that I liked and it is a podcast with Danny Green called Inside the Green Room. He just wrapped up his last episode for Canada and he will be continuing the podcast in LA. This last one was about the free agency process, some of the difficulties he had the week leading into free agency, Thoughts on the Lakers and what he can bring to the team.
https://twitter.com/YahooCASports/status/1148727739169562626
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 10, 2019, 11:57:50 PM »
Kawhi Leonard signed a three year deal with a player option to match years with Paul George’s contract. They can reenter free agency in 2021. This is win-win for Leonard. He gets an early out if things don’t mesh. Either way, he’ll be eligible for the 10-year max in a year when teams are angling to have cap space again.

The Clippers gave up a lot of picks for possibly a two-year title window. 100 times out of 100, you make that move. It’s still super risky. The Clippers better hope Kawhi and PG don’t leave in 2021 because they have no protections on draft picks for the next five years starting in 2022 when they would absolutely be bad after losing two all-stars for nothing. Now, imagine the Clippers losing said all-stars to the Lakers of all teams... absolute darkest timeline.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1530 on: July 11, 2019, 12:38:22 AM »
Kawhi Leonard signed a three year deal with a player option to match years with Paul George’s contract. They can reenter free agency in 2021. This is win-win for Leonard. He gets an early out if things don’t mesh. Either way, he’ll be eligible for the 10-year max in a year when teams are angling to have cap space again.

The Clippers gave up a lot of picks for possibly a two-year title window. 100 times out of 100, you make that move. It’s still super risky. The Clippers better hope Kawhi and PG don’t leave in 2021 because they have no protections on draft picks for the next five years starting in 2022 when they would absolutely be bad after losing two all-stars for nothing. Now, imagine the Clippers losing said all-stars to the Lakers of all teams... absolute darkest timeline.
Everyone is shooting for that 2021 free agency class. Giannis being the main one before the free agency moves this year but now there is LeBron, Kawhi, Paul George, DeRozan, McCollum, Jrue Holiday, Gobert, AD, Beal, Oladipo, Randle, Danny Green, Zion, Ja Morant, Ayton, RJ Barrett, Lonzo Ball, Luka, Trae Young, Fox, Coby White, and Kuzma. Very exciting free agency that one I feel.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 11, 2019, 10:00:46 PM »
Russ has been traded to Houston for Chris Paul and a boatload of picks (yet again). Russ gets to play with Harden again and enjoy a few years of second round exits. OKC now has the following situation in terms of 1st round picks:

2020 Own (1-20)
2020 Denver (11-30)
2021 Own (Can swap with Houston 5-30)
2021 Miami (Can swap with Houston 5-30)
2022 Own (1-14)
2022 Clippers
2023 Own (Can swap with Clippers)
2023 Miami (15-30)
2024 Own
2024 Houston (5-30)
2024 Clippers
2025 Own (can swap with Clippers/Houston 21-30)
2026 Own
2026 Clippers
2026 Houston (5-30)

Sam Presti is a damn genius.

EDIT: Also CP3 gets $124 million to cosplay late-career Allen Iverson. Congrats, Chris!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:45:26 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1532 on: July 11, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
15 first round picks for the next 7 years. OKC  going into full rebuild mode now for the first time since they moved to OKC. 

Question now is Paul staying or if he being traded. Maybe to the Lakers to get a quality point guard and join up with the Lakers in a trade that should of happened sooner(Basketball Reasons)/fellow Banana Boat friend LeBron James or would Miami would be a better fit with Jimmy Butler? 

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 11, 2019, 11:20:03 PM »
So OKC got to dump WB, but in exchange had to take on CP3, but for the inconvenience they also got 15 1st round picks from the Rockets!?

Initially, I thought both teams lost in this trade, but OKC wins this one hands down.
CP3 is a better commander than WB and the treasure trove of picks allows them to rolld the dice multiple times each year in hopes of landing something beyond decent.

I can only imagine the trainwreck of a WB and modern Harden would be.
they both command the ball.
One rushes in to the paint to pass through the chaos at the last second.
the other dribbles the air out the ball and might pass at the last second.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:23:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1534 on: July 11, 2019, 11:26:43 PM »
So OKC got to dump WB, but in exchange had to take on CP3, but for the inconvenience they also got 15 1st round picks from the Rockets!?

Initially, I thought both teams lost in this trade, but OKC wins this one hands down.
CP3 is a better commander than WB and the treasure trove of picks allows them to rolld the dice multiple times each year in hopes of landing something beyond decent.

They didn't get 15 first round picks from the Rockets; they have 15 overall for the next 7 years. Rockets gave OKC their first round picks in 2024 and 2026 with pick swaps in 2021 and 2025.

Sources: Pick protections in Thunder/Rockets, Russell Westbrook/Chris Paul trade:
2024 first round pick, protected 1-4
2026 first round pick, protected 1-4
2025 swap, 1-20 protected
2021 swap, protected 1-4 -- OKC can swap Clippers pick or Heat pick.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 11, 2019, 11:47:53 PM »
even still, Rockets are gonna be worse next year. LOL

OKC still won that trade.
I just read the story elsewhere and got the details of the trade, so I get it now.
WB had OKC perpetually circling the drain in the 1st round of playoffs, leading with false hopes of triple doubles.. They needed to make a change.
At least they don't have that false hope with CP3.

Who is gonna be the main ball handler on the Rockets next season?
I just don't see how this works. They just gonna take turns?
What's WB gonna do when no one is boxing out just so he can take the rebounds?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:01:25 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 12, 2019, 12:43:59 AM »
Also CP3 gets $124 million to cosplay late-career Allen Iverson. Congrats, Chris!
Soren has like all of my favorite posts in this thread.
Question now is Paul staying or if he being traded. Maybe to the Lakers to get a quality point guard and join up with the Lakers in a trade that should of happened sooner(Basketball Reasons)/fellow Banana Boat friend LeBron James or would Miami would be a better fit with Jimmy Butler?
Unless the Lakers give up LeBron James or Anthony Davis, they don’t have the contracts to make that trade work even after December 15.

Anyway, this is an awful trade for the Rockets.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1537 on: July 12, 2019, 12:46:33 AM »

I just read the story elsewhere and got the details of the trade, so I get it now.
WB had OKC perpetually circling the drain in the 1st round of playoffs, leading with false hopes of triple doubles.. They needed to make a change.

I mean I think with the Rockets it might work out for them because you have an aggressive point guard who will draw attention and Westbrook is such a good passer that he can pass it out to the many Rockets 3 point threats including Harden. I also think that Capella is going to improve with Westbrook being the facilitator.  The way I see things working is that Westbrook can play on ball most of the game and Harden can play off ball but when the Rockets need clutch shots they can iso with Harden.  I also think that in those times where harden is playing on ball Westbrook can play that mid range game that the Rockets have lacked for several years. With them it is either the 3 ball or up close. I think Westbrook brings that midrange game.

Now as far as both teams if Paul stays with the Thunder then I think they could make it to the second round and lose to one of the LA teams going forward. Maybe the Rockets gel and they may upset one of the LA teams and makes it to the WCF and see where things go from there.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1538 on: July 12, 2019, 01:06:01 AM »
I'm not sure how they can move CP3. I think I saw on Twitter that he was interested in the Heat and Jimmy Butler, but even then his contract is waaay up there.

I try not to blame athletes for taking the money, but if he wanted a title, he should've  made himself cheaper.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 12, 2019, 01:29:29 AM »
Well...it seems the Jazz got rid of Grayson Allen (part of the Mike Conley trade) soon enough. He played tonight in the Summer League and racked up 2 flagrant fouls (some say he should have gotten 3) and a technical before he was ejected from the game. That's in addition to the technical he got in his previous Summer League game.

Dude, I'm an Old School NBA fan. The modern NBA is ludicrously soft at times. I'm all for the physical play, but you have to be making a play on the ball and you can't just be a thug. Good riddance.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27172670/grizzlies-allen-ejected-2-flagrants-tech
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 12, 2019, 02:02:26 AM »
I'm not sure how they can move CP3. I think I saw on Twitter that he was interested in the Heat and Jimmy Butler, but even then his contract is waaay up there.
The Heat have the contracts for salary matching purposes. The problem is the Thunder want to move toward not paying the luxury tax or at least a smaller bill. They took on less salary in both of the most recent trades and got a bunch of draft picks. Moving Chris Paul again isn’t impossible. If the Heat are motivated, they can probably figure this out. Goran Dragic, Meyers Leonard, and ballast work for matching purposes. Dragic and Leonard are on expiring deals which is exactly what Sam Presti is looking for. Failing that, the Heat can probably find a third team for help.
I try not to blame athletes for taking the money, but if he wanted a title, he should've  made himself cheaper.
Chris Paul is president of the NBPA. I vaguely remember reading that signing the contract he did, despite giving up an extra year, was partially symbolic. The ability for players to sign similar max/near-max contracts was a sticking point in negotiations. And if Paul didn’t get that contract, it’d make the players look weak. But yes, dude also wanted to get paid.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 12, 2019, 02:29:29 AM »

I mean I think with the Rockets it might work out for them because you have an aggressive point guard who will draw attention and Westbrook is such a good passer that he can pass it out to the many Rockets 3 point threats including Harden. I also think that Capella is going to improve with Westbrook being the facilitator.  The way I see things working is that Westbrook can play on ball most of the game and Harden can play off ball but when the Rockets need clutch shots they can iso with Harden.  I also think that in those times where harden is playing on ball Westbrook can play that mid range game that the Rockets have lacked for several years. With them it is either the 3 ball or up close. I think Westbrook brings that midrange game.

Now as far as both teams if Paul stays with the Thunder then I think they could make it to the second round and lose to one of the LA teams going forward. Maybe the Rockets gel and they may upset one of the LA teams and makes it to the WCF and see where things go from there.

But CP3 brought the mid-range game that the Rockets were lacking.... he was literally the only player on the team green-lit to shoot from mid-range. The Rockets were a better team when CP3 was running point and got more of the team active. Problem was that Harden would consistently dribble the air out the ball while the rest of the team stood around waiting for a catch and shoot situation with less than 3 seconds left on the shot clock, assuming Harden didn't shoot it himself.

I don't see how WB improves this situation.....
WB will want the same thing CP3 did, and that is the ball... more often.

If Harden doesn't have the ball, he tends to stand around and slink out of the play waiting for an opportunity to get the ball back and Iso.

I would love to see them mesh next season, but I see them bumping heads on court like Harden and CP3 did off court.

But the real important question to be answered here is.....
which OKC member is gonna join CP3 in the next series of State Farm commercials (assuming he isn't in Miami already)?
Steven Adams?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:43:43 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1542 on: July 12, 2019, 03:01:53 AM »
I kinda think that the past history with Harden and Westbrook on OKC is going to be the thing that will bring the two together and make both of them to figure things out.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1543 on: July 12, 2019, 03:03:17 AM »
End of the Super Team era of the 2010s.

linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRXPvENMSE
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1544 on: July 12, 2019, 05:30:35 PM »
Chris Paul is president of the NBPA. I vaguely remember reading that signing the contract he did, despite giving up an extra year, was partially symbolic. The ability for players to sign similar max/near-max contracts was a sticking point in negotiations. And if Paul didn’t get that contract, it’d make the players look weak. But yes, dude also wanted to get paid.

Damn unions.

But serious that makes sense, and I can't say I wouldn't do the same.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: July 13, 2019, 01:22:28 AM »
Something fun you guys might get a kick out of, considering all the back and forth during the Free Agency talks. It's a guy on Youtube summarizing how fans of various teams felt during the various signings.

And...the followup (including the Jazz this time)

Gotta say, watching you all talk and other Jazz fans, these videos were pretty damn spot on.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1546 on: July 13, 2019, 08:56:45 PM »
So, AD will be wearing number 3 this season.  This is after LeBron said he'd switch back to 6, but Nike stepped in and said "No can do, we already printed a year's worth of 23 jerseys".  The deadline to switch numbers is apparently in March, for some reason.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1547 on: July 15, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
So, AD will be wearing number 3 this season.  This is after LeBron said he'd switch back to 6, but Nike stepped in and said "No can do, we already printed a year's worth of 23 jerseys".  The deadline to switch numbers is apparently in March, for some reason.
I guess that March deadline is so all the players that get traded at the February trade deadline can be made jerseys for their new team. Still this offseason I have learned more about the NBA than in years past.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 15, 2019, 11:37:44 AM »
Nike drawing a line in the sand just seems weird to me. Trades and free agency will always make printing jerseys somewhat perilous. In this instance, James and Davis have both said they’re switching to #6 and #23 respectively just in 2020 now. Nike is going to end up with extra jerseys either way. Seems easier to just take the L on the extra James #23 printed so far.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1549 on: July 15, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
Nike drawing a line in the sand just seems weird to me. Trades and free agency will always make printing jerseys somewhat perilous. In this instance, James and Davis have both said they’re switching to #6 and #23 respectively just in 2020 now. Nike is going to end up with extra jerseys either way. Seems easier to just take the L on the extra James #23 printed so far.

I'm assuming there's leeway on players who are traded/entering free agency.  That being said, it's still a weird rule for players staying put.  I'm sure someone's done the math on why it should work that way, but Nike should just move the deadline to . . . idk something after free agency opens?

I guess that March deadline is so all the players that get traded at the February trade deadline can be made jerseys for their new team. Still this offseason I have learned more about the NBA than in years past.

Yeah, but a trade that happens "this season" is just as likely to make a non-traded player change numbers as a trade that happens "in between seasons".  But I guess there isn't a league-imposed deadline during the summer, so Nike doesn't have as much to build off of.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:55:53 PM by nickmitch »