Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674630 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: about to take our talents to Brooklyn
« Reply #1475 on: July 03, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »
Thoughts about Willie Cauley-Stein signing on the cheap in Golden State? I rarely see the Kings play, but he always looked good when I caught a game. Getting a young big like that super cheap seems like a huge win for the Warriors?
Excellent signing because the Warriors’ lack size. He’s a raw talent that can use a better situation to take his game to a new level. Additionally, this is exactly what I meant when y’all were dunking on guys who sign for the minimum (though I think Cauley-Stein signed for slightly above the minimum). Players who take less aren’t always just end of the bench guys. It depends on what else they can get that don’t have monetary value. The Warriors can offer Willie Cauley-Stein meaningful minutes/a chance to rebuild his value on a winning team, structure, veterans with championship pedigree, probably a better training staff than the Kings, definitely a better coaching staff etc. etc.

Cauley-Stein’s agent subtly blamed the Kings for his client’s stunted development. It doesn’t matter if that’s on the Kings or Cauley-Stein himself. Maybe his ceiling is “good role player” rather than star, and that’s okay. Ultimately, he gets a fresh start in a better situation than the cesspit that the Kings have been for nearly 20 years. Players will take less if a team can provide intangibles. Cauley-Stein gets to learn from Curry, Thompson, and Green who are going to hold him accountable the way he wasn’t on the Kings. That may be the best thing he can do for his career at this point then he can reenter free agency next year in a better place professionally and (hopefully) get the contract he wants.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:30:10 AM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1476 on: July 03, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »
Looks like the Suns have cleared the nessessary cap space to sign Rubio outright.  Suns sent Josh Jackson, De'Anthony Melton and two second round picks to the Grizzlies.  This does make some sense for the grizzlies since they are rebuilding. Grizzlies are sending over Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter. Korver is likely going to be bought out.

Only Okobo is left on possible players that need to be moved.

Lineup for the Suns:  PG - Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson, Ty Jerome, Jevon Carter, Jalen Lecque
SG - Devin Booker, Cameron Johnson
SF - Kelly Oubre Jr., Mikal Bridges
PF - Dario Saric, Frank Kaminsky
C - Deandre Ayton, Aron Baynes
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 03, 2019, 08:25:10 PM »
Looks like the Suns have cleared the nessessary cap space to sign Rubio outright.  Suns sent Josh Jackson, De'Anthony Melton and two second round picks to the Grizzlies.  This does make some sense for the grizzlies since they are rebuilding. Grizzlies are sending over Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter. Korver is likely going to be bought out.

Lineup for the Suns:  PG - Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson, Ty Jerome, Jevon Carter, Jalen Lecque

I'm going to laugh if after ALL that, Korver ends up right back on the Jazz again.  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1478 on: July 03, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »

I'm going to laugh if after ALL that, Korver ends up right back on the Jazz again.  ;)
Reports are saying the Lakers, Bucks and 76ers are the front runners for Korver from what I have  read.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:53 PM »
So Jalen Rose is "99% certain" that Kawhi is heading back to the Raptors. Which sounds to me like nobody outside of Kawhi's camp has any idea yet - although with warnings from Kawhi's camp that teams shouldn't leak any information maybe that's not accurate?

Feels like his decision is in the home stretch now though! Fourth of July announcement maybe?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1480 on: July 03, 2019, 09:54:23 PM »
So Jalen Rose is "99% certain" that Kawhi is heading back to the Raptors. Which sounds to me like nobody outside of Kawhi's camp has any idea yet - although with warnings from Kawhi's camp that teams shouldn't leak any information maybe that's not accurate?

Feels like his decision is in the home stretch now though! Fourth of July announcement maybe?
Yeah I think lots of folks are just speculating at this point.  Jalen also said that Kawhi was going to the Clippers a few days ago with I think Butler. So we shall see. I guess his uncles birthday is on Friday so I kinda expect a decision either tonight or tomorrow.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1481 on: July 03, 2019, 11:27:54 PM »
Okay so I guess Kawhi isn't deciding tonight or tomorrow. If we get past the 6th then the AD trade goes through and the Lakers can only offer 27 mil to prospective free agents.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: July 04, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »
Happy Independence Day to my neighbors in the south.
Hope you all enjoy the celebrations, stay proud of your country, and be brave enough to fight for what you believe in.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 04, 2019, 10:55:11 AM »

It would be like that one commercial where that MLB player kept getting traded. During practice, then while getting ready to play, and then while on the plane headed to his next team.
I tried to find the video, but had no luck. LOL

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1484 on: July 05, 2019, 08:50:59 PM »
Well the free agency moratorium ends at Noon EST tomorrow and if the AD deal goes through then the Lakers have less money to offer Kawhi and/or any prospective players who does want to go to the Lakers they will have less to work with.  Now I don't know if the Pels, Hawks and Wizards will want to wait or not past the moratorium period tomorrow.  The League is waiting on Kawhi to make a choice now that he has met with all 3 teams. From my understanding Kawhi is in San Diego celebrating his uncles birthday today.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: July 05, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »
I’m sure Leonard is aware of the Lakers cap situation. He’ll either make his decision in the next 12 to 14 hours or he just doesn’t care about losing out on a few million dollars if he picks the Lakers (imagine being that rich). The Anthony Davis trade probably doesn’t become official at noon on the dot. All trades must be conducted with all teams involved on the same phone call with the league. A lot of trades are happening tomorrow so it’ll happen at some point, but there’s some leeway if Leonard continues dragging his feet past noon.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1486 on: July 05, 2019, 11:32:59 PM »
Looks like the Pels, Hawks, and Wizards will delay the trade if Kawhi doesn't decide on Saturday.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1487 on: July 06, 2019, 12:51:48 AM »
Just saw this.  21 different players and 6 teams is connected one way or another with the AD trade.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 06, 2019, 01:54:54 AM »
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147383197640134656?s=20

lol

On the bright side, now the Lakers have all the cap room they can use to sign--bwahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha...

EDIT: OH **** PG TO THE CLIPPERS TOO

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147383639036092416

EDIT 2: Kawhi pushed George into joining the Clippers and PG then requested a trade. Get fucked Russ.

OKC actually got a good deal. 4 unprotected 1st rounders. 1 protected 1st rounder, 2 pick swaps.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:05:39 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 06, 2019, 02:04:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147383197640134656?s=20

lol

On the bright side, now the Lakers have all the cap room they can use to sign--bwahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha...

EDIT: OH **** PG TO THE CLIPPERS TOO

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147383639036092416

is that legit?

Kawhi to the Clippers?
OKC trading PG13 to the Clippers for a substantial haul of picks?

The West gonna be so wild next season if that's true. LOL

edit: It's Legit...
"The Clippers are sending the Thunder four unprotected first-round picks, one protected first-round pick and two pick swaps"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:12:22 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 06, 2019, 02:30:29 AM »
The Lakers just gave Danny Green 2 years, 30 mil.

Good job, Rob.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1491 on: July 06, 2019, 04:31:56 AM »
Kcp coming back to the Lakers. 2 year/ 16 million and Javal McGee is returning 2 year/8.2 mil deal with a player option.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1492 on: July 06, 2019, 08:11:53 AM »
Well with these moves from the Lakers they have 11 mil left in cap space.

The Lakers do need a starting point guard and maybe Lin or Trey Burke is an option there. Get Caruso back on the qualifying offer and sign Rondo for the minimum.  The other option is maybe have Lebron run point with Danny Green at the SG, Kuzma as SF, AD as PF and McGee at center if they don't get Cousins with the exception or vet min.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: July 06, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
Collective sigh of relief from the rest of the league.

Leonard to the Clippers alone didn't make much sense to me. Max Kellerman was calling that team title favorites. With Paul George, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Everything I said about the Lakers trading a bunch of picks for Anthony Davis applies to the Clippers. They won't need those picks as long as they have guys people want to play with. There's value in the buy out market and minimum salary players looking for playing time/title contention etc. etc. I won't say I'm not disappointed. Leonard on the Lakers would have been amazing. Still, I like competitive basketball, and the balance of power is a lot more even now.

The Lakers are doing fine filling out the roster. The 2020 free agent market is not great so signing Danny Green, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, and JaVale McGee to two-year deals makes sense. They're positioning themselves to have the latter two with Bird Rights in 2021 when LeBron James can opt out. All three are tradable assets. The Lakers currently have eight players. A lot of the splashier names are off the board, but I wouldn't want to sign some of those guys to the contracts they got in either years or dollars depending on the player.
Help me with the math; I was an English major. I have the Lakers with about $5 million plus the room MLE left. I would definitely bring back Alex Caruso. I'm sure the Lakers are looking into DeMarcus Cousins, Quinn Cook, Trey Burke, and Marcus Morris. If they get all of them, that's still a solid roster. The Lakers are likely holding out hope they can eventually snag Andre Iguodala and Goran Dragić on the buyout market. The Grizzlies and The Heat are currently exploring trades though.

I expect the Lakers to sign Carmelo Anthony. I don't have to like it. You can't make me.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 06, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
I'm just thinking about all the potential playoff matchups next year in the West and I get bummed out. One of these teams is going to be stuck with an impossible series in the FIRST ROUND. End playoff seeding by conference already.

EDIT: Also Russ and PG13 to the Raptors was on the table.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27131637/sources-fear-lakers-dynasty-drove-clips-deal
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:35:00 AM by Soren »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 06, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »
The Lakers signed Quinn Cook, two years $6 million.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1496 on: July 06, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »
Collective sigh of relief from the rest of the league.

Leonard to the Clippers alone didn't make much sense to me. Max Kellerman was calling that team title favorites. With Paul George, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Everything I said about the Lakers trading a bunch of picks for Anthony Davis applies to the Clippers. They won't need those picks as long as they have guys people want to play with. There's value in the buy out market and minimum salary players looking for playing time/title contention etc. etc. I won't say I'm not disappointed. Leonard on the Lakers would have been amazing. Still, I like competitive basketball, and the balance of power is a lot more even now.

The Lakers are doing fine filling out the roster. The 2020 free agent market is not great so signing Danny Green, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, and JaVale McGee to two-year deals makes sense. They're positioning themselves to have the latter two with Bird Rights in 2021 when LeBron James can opt out. All three are tradable assets. The Lakers currently have eight players. A lot of the splashier names are off the board, but I wouldn't want to sign some of those guys to the contracts they got in either years or dollars depending on the player.
Help me with the math; I was an English major. I have the Lakers with about $5 million plus the room MLE left. I would definitely bring back Alex Caruso. I'm sure the Lakers are looking into DeMarcus Cousins, Quinn Cook, Trey Burke, and Marcus Morris. If they get all of them, that's still a solid roster. The Lakers are likely holding out hope they can eventually snag Andre Iguodala and Goran Dragić on the buyout market. The Grizzlies and The Heat are currently exploring trades though.

I expect the Lakers to sign Carmelo Anthony. I don't have to like it. You can't make me.
Lets assume these are flat contracts with no bonuses and the Lakers have spent 30 mil of the 32 mil. However since the Lakers have signed 4 players using the cap they get back the minimum roster holds. So that is 3.6 mil and then the 2 mil and that leaves 5.6 mil and the room exception of 4.9 mil. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 01:21:49 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: July 06, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »
Aww... That's a shame for the Raptors. I don't know what the thought process was from Kawhi; maybe Toronto was never really in it, maybe they would have retained him if the George trade fell through. Either way, it feels like they left everything on the table and Leonard just preferred to go home.

Lakers are doing a nice job with (I think) smart contracts post-decision. If the two stars stay healthy, should be a fun team to watch and their ceiling looks much higher than a year ago.

Clippers look great. People might be down on them dropping all of those draft picks, but barring significant injury issues those picks won't be very high anyway and I'd give up long-odds draft picks for two bonafide superstars any day. 

I feel bad that the (Clippers) traded away SGA. He looked really good last year, and would have been a great fit with the team going forward. How scary would SGA, George, and Leonard as your starting front court for the next few years look? And I liked the way that LA was developing him as a player... not sure how that will go in OKC.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 06, 2019, 01:07:12 PM »
Just finished a good article about this offseason's signings. Apparently, the current NBA Commissioner's been trying to get rid of NBA "superteams", and we seem to be at the point where that is the case.

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-free-agency/2019/7/6/20684174/2019-nba-free-agency-los-angeles-clippers-kawhi-leonard-paul-george-steve-ballmer-adam-silver-parity

It should be a really interesting season next year with at least 4 teams in both conferences having a legit shot at making the Finals.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: July 06, 2019, 01:46:29 PM »
So who are our best guesses at Title Contenders in the East and the West for this upcoming 19/20 Season?

Top 5 in each conference (will the East have that many?).

In the West I can already see:
Clippers
Lakers
... (Jazz? Blazers? Rockets?)
Warriors

In the East:
:tumbleweed:
76ers
... I have no idea what happened in the East...
... Pacers, Bucks?

Someone clue me in, I didn't follow all the trades