Author Topic: Dragon Quest Builders - Welcome to MineQuest  (Read 8688 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest Builders - Welcome to MineQuest
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »
Yeah! The demo really sucks you in.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 09:51:30 PM »
Also, in DQ Builders 2 news, they are introducing angled blocks and first person perspective. First person mode will come in handy for inside buildings.

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/dragon-quest-builders-2-details-story-evolved-building-elements

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:53:05 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:08 PM »
Yeah! The demo really sucks you in.

It really does!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 02:46:14 AM »
Angled blocks? Thats an interesting change.

Even though I liked the game, I dont want to play the sequel any time soon.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »
Just beat Chapter 3.  I tend to be unable to play this in short bursts, I've missed my stop on the metro recently because of the second boss fight.  Also, missed a few bed times.

I agree that the combat could use some tweaking.  As for the hunger mechanic, it does get to be an annoyance once you can make enough food to carry a might-as-well-be infinite supply.

One thing about Chapter 3 is that it was tough for me to get to the colossal coffer.  The wood supply being limited until the second teleportal, when there are so many materials to gather made the first part annoying to me.

And I'm really digging the variety in the objectives for each chapter.  Makes each one feel unique.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 12:20:09 AM »
Well people, the much anticipated Sequel is out now in Japan, and there is a demo! I downloaded it and was able to muddle through despite not knowing the language.

It starts out different than the first game, more story focused. You're a prisoner on a ship, then you end up on a mystery island with another guy who helps you in whatever you are doing. I get the impression that having your squad help you gather resources is a big focus in this game.

The controls and menu are revamped, not sure I like the new style as much, but I would need to play the game more to know for certain.

You don't seem to be a master builder, but you have recipe book of sorts that you store things you can build. I gathered more resources and new recipes didn't appear, so I'm not sure if that's a limit of the demo.

Can't wait for the full version to come out in America.

https://youtu.be/m-CL0mWh8qU
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:37:17 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
I hadn't realized it was out in Japan already. I might check out the demo. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
English Translation! Releasing Jul 12th 2019!

https://youtu.be/LIDqrb4YzVg

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »
I have the first one sitting on my shelf, but keep putting off playing it. I plan to get the sequel because of the multiplayer, but would like to go through the first one before that happens. Really like what I have seen so far.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »
You should! It's a really good game to just sit and play for a while or even pick up in short bursts.  Once you get into it, it really hooks you and you could probably move through it fairly quickly.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »
Yeah, its just every time I go to start it I decide to just play Minecraft instead because of the multiplayer. Mayb e this weekend.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »
Doooo it!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
I did this weekend, and I have not been able to put it down. It has most everything I wish was in Minecraft and then some. My wife and sister are intrigued by the game, so looking forward to the sequel with multiplayer even more.

What is the story with the first abandoned castle you can find just past the Hammerhood Heights? Where you learn how to build the spiked wall defenses? You come across multiple warnings of how horrible that castle is, but you show up and find two ghosts and an incomplete version of Cantlin Chronicles. The was a note nearby in a cave with a corpse talking about how they barely escaped, and a note in the castle from a kid worried about people disappearing and how the 'adults' had summoned the author and was worried about why they did. Did they resort to cannibalism or turn into monsters? I'm tempted to just start digging under the castle and see if I find anything else.

For complaints, I just wish there was a bit more control to how you build. Giving a first person perspective would have fixed this. It is frustrating when you can't quite aim where you want for digging or building. Also, there needs to be a better way to quick move items back and forth similar to Minecraft. The QoL features make using controllers so much better in MC, and I actually prefer using a controller with MC over a mouse and keyboard because of them. Give me some of those QoLs for Builders and I will be very happy.

I do love how you get the uber chest and extra items go straight to there when you run out of space. Also, automatically pulling mats from your chests in town when crafting is so convenient.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
I did this weekend, and I have not been able to put it down.

Another convert!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »
I think the first abandoned castle is Cantlin. Cantlin was a city that had a Golem that protected it. It's from the mainline games: https://dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/Cantlin

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:46 PM »
Read a preview of the sequel and it sounds like all of my complaints will be addressed. Adding a first person mode, improving combat, local and online multiplayer, more of all the good stuff, swimming and flying, water manipulation and crop growth.
My Game Collection