Author Topic: Virtual Console Details Exposed  (Read 12901 times)

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console Details Exposed
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 08:02:09 PM »
Hooray, I'll never see TurboGrafx games ever, thanks region restrictions!

Although I am pleased that I'll be able to use my Hori GameCube pad to play my SNES games, that works out great.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE:Virtual Console Details Exposed
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 09:11:26 PM »
As was said a few posts ago you still may get the games even if they were not orginally released in your territory. Its up to the orginal owners and/or Nintendo depending on how popular the service is the games may be given new life and ported to the area.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 10:13:21 PM »
When people talk about a hack for being able to download games from Japan, how exactly would that work.  I dont really know too much about all this Tech stuff but I just want to be able to download the older Fire Emblems.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 01:15:01 AM »
They may find there way here. But it would work simular to what they did with the Xbox they modify the MAC in the system, to one that are found in Japan.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 03:22:58 AM »
I hope publishers or even developers will spread games to regions they weren't available in before. After all there won't be any licensing issues if noone licensed the distribution rights for that region anyway.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006, 04:38:55 AM »
There's still hope at getting Terranigma in the U.S.! ;_;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2006, 04:47:06 AM »
Ah, right, Terranigma. I hope S-E jumps on board so we'll get that game. Never played any of the SNES action RPGs myself (mostly due to a general lack of funds in the SNES era) so I've got quite a bit of catching up to do (and not only with the SNES, I never had a NES, N64, PC Engine or Mega Drive).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2006, 06:42:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: Arbok I really can't understand why they won't let the "Classic Controllers" play Gamecube games... unless they would prefer us to use the GCN ones.

Because the Wii doesn't know it isn't a GC when it's emulating a GC.

There's basically a GC built into the top of the Wii. Funny how it didn't cost Nintendo that much while Sony needed the PS3 to have a PS2 built in...

They'd need to reprogram the GC hardware to utilize the bluetooth interface that both the classic controller and the Wiimote use.

When it's running in GC mode, something tells me that it is, for all intents and purposes, a GC, minus the GBA Player and the network adapter.

Because Nintendo has a similar architecture.  Yeah, somewhere it was stated that things would be clocked down to be similar to the speeds of the GC even.  Also from what I've read from the Linux on Cube project pretty much the cube had a bootloader and the setting screen.  It would literal just start your code and you take it from there.  Yeah it be weird playing games designed with the cube controller in mind with teh classic controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 06:54:21 AM »
The Wii and GC are based on pretty much the same fundamental architecture.  Code compiled to run on a given architecture is compatible with other systems running the same architecture, but not on systems running different architecture.  It is not emulation, it just runs.  PS2 and PS3 are based on totally different architectures, code written for one does not work on the other.  That is why the GBA had an original GB built into it, the GBA architecture was not compatible with code written for the GB.  Same with the DS having a GBA built into it, or the GC GBA player basically being a GBA without the screen.  You can think of it in terms of the new intel Macs.  Code written for PowerPC-based Macs does not work natively on an intel-based Mac (i.e. without hardware emulation).  They code has to be recompiled to work on intel/AMD-based processors because they are based on fundamentally different processor architectures.  However, programs that run on, say a Pentium 2 will also run on a Pentium 3, Pentium 4, Pentium M, Core Duo, Core Solo, (ideally) AMD chips, and any other processor based on the same architecture.  The processor may not be able to run it well, but it is fundamentally compatible.  Similarly, ATI and Nvidia chips are based on the more or less the same architecture, so games written for one (ideally) work with the other.

However, it is not just a matter of the processors, it is a matter of the other hardware as well.  GC games are written to interact with GC hardware like the GC controller ports and GC controllers.  Without some sort of hardware virtualizer that makes one controller appear to be the another to the games it would not be possible to get it to work.  The problem is that the GC games most likely take over the processors and use them for their own purposes.  It may be very difficult to get the CPU to run code for a controller emulator like that while they are running code for the GC game at the same time if the GC game has been given complete control over what the CPU does already.  
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2006, 08:46:30 AM »
In principle that is true, but all Nintendo would have to do is update the firmware for the GC portion in order to make use of Wii hardware.  Nintendo chose not to do this for the GBA on DS (firmware is identical to a real GBA except for a single byte to determine hardware it's running on), and it looks like they decided not to put any time into it for GC on Wii either.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2006, 09:09:43 AM »
well, i give it two months before its hacked wide open and we download games from torrent sites.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2006, 09:13:12 AM »
Well, I won't download games from torrent sites, you dirty rat!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2006, 11:03:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
There's still hope at getting Terranigma in the U.S.! ;_;

It never came out in the U.S.? That sucks so badly I can't even fathom the pain I will be feeling if they don't release it for the VC in North-America. Nah, I won't feel any pain, but it will still be pretty lame.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2006, 11:38:30 AM »
I have an order in for two Classic Controllers, and I don't know if I should cancel it or not.  I don't have Wavebirds, so maybe I should still buy them.  My reasoning there is that I'd rather have wireless controllers instead of my wired GameCube controllers, and since the Classic Controllers plug into the Wiimote that solves that problem right there.  If I bought Wavebirds it would cost me more, and I'd have a ton of GC controllers lying around.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 11:40:34 AM »
Will wavebirds still work with the Wii, I wonder?

Originally posted by: therat
well, i give it two months before its hacked wide open and we download games from torrent sites.

Heh, agreed.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2006, 11:46:50 AM »
For the billionth time, yes the Wii allows Wavebirds...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2006, 11:49:12 AM »
Sorry, just never seen the question answered before.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2006, 12:57:19 PM »
Yeah I also think IGN is getting sick of that question. When they were showing off the Dev unit they procured they showed a picture of it with the Wavebird adapter. And the caption read something like see it fits perfectly.

Offline AManatee2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2006, 03:09:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Whatever happened to the USB storage alternatives?

Indeed. The USB storage can still be used for pretty much any saves, right?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »
NOPE HAW HAW HAW

Yeah, you can't save on USB storage device, not initially at least.  It's possible that in the future a firmware upgrade will allow it, but don't your breath.  Sorry.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2006, 05:58:25 AM »
Everyone talking about "cracking" the VC: Why?! All of the ROMs that will ever be available on the VC are currently trivial to find online and download for free. The whole point of the VC is to offer a legal way to play those games. If you want to use a GCN controller for your emulated games, go ahead and buy a GCN-USB adapter (actually, I don't know if they exist, but they probably do).

The VC games will probably just be a ROM along with a signature saying that Nintendo verifies that Wii#NNN is authorized to play this ROM. Whether or not it is encrypted does not matter. The Wii would simply refuse to play ROMs with that signature, and that would be secure. In order to crack it, you would have to modify or remove the signature check, which, if Nintendo is smart, would be handled in ROM, not in the flash. I guess if it is handled by the flash, then it would be possible to modify the VC software to ignore the check and just play any downloaded ROM (put into the Wii VC format).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2006, 06:49:42 AM »
"Everyone talking about 'cracking' the VC: Why?! All of the ROMs that will ever be available on the VC are currently trivial to find online and download for free. The whole point of the VC is to offer a legal way to play those games. If you want to use a GCN controller for your emulated games, go ahead and buy a GCN-USB adapter (actually, I don't know if they exist, but they probably do)."

Technically you can pirate import games as well but many of us still obtain import games legally.  For me at least I want to buy some games that originally were never released in North America.  Finding some way to bypass the region limitation but still being able to purchase the game allows me to get the game I want without stealing it.  What we really want is something like we have now where we can just import a game and everything is legal.  That sadly is probably not possible with the VC.

Odds are the "solution" will be illegally downloaded roms.  Any solution to bypass region coding would probably just allow free games period.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2006, 07:35:06 AM »
If you want to use a GCN controller for your emulated games, go ahead and buy a GCN-USB adapter (actually, I don't know if they exist, but they probably do).

Lik-Sang used to make and sell those (SmartJoy was a part of them) but as we all know Sony nuked them.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2006, 08:01:43 AM »
The VC will be near impossible to crack without permanently crippling your Wii.

You do realize that Nintendo has some ulterior motives for the WiiConnect24 thing right?  It's the perfect piracy prevention.  They can check your Wii out whenever they want!  perverts!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »
If I remember the article correctly you can play with gamecube controllers. It just that if there is a Wii controller on it has priority over the Gamecube controller. (Which gives credence that they just use a chip that reconizes Gamecube Games and allows access to the Gamecube functions.