Author Topic: Blue Dragon (360)  (Read 12691 times)

Offline The Traveller

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Blue Dragon (360)
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:38:16 PM »
Wow this game looks fantastic! I think this and Mistwalkers other rpg will be the final push into picking up a 360 when either of these games hit. This looks way better than any of the latest FF titles, cant wait!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Blue Dragon (360)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:48:25 AM »
I'd wait until I've read reviews. Remember, this is Hironobu "Story is more important than gameplay"* Sakaguchi. These could easily end up being pretty turds.

*= Yes, he said that.

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:03:14 AM »
Well..remember it is a traditional rpg, I dont think gameplay will be hugely innovative. But still if its anything like chrono trigger it will be great.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 03:31:45 AM »
This is also being developed by Artoon, yet another reason to have a "wait-and-see" attitude...

And please, for your sake, don't set your expectations as high as Chrono Trigger...You'll just end up extremely disappointed... =(
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 06:14:14 AM »
Traditional in the D&D or traditional in the dungeon crawl&grind sense?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 06:38:34 AM »
I am excited about this game but I don't own a 360 and won't for the foreseeable future. (¢ to my name)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:43:32 AM »
This is the game that could make me buy a 360... I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that though as I want to save my money.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 10:08:52 AM »
Pfft. Just dig out a Final Fantasy game, play it for a bit then put it back on the shelf again to restore your understanding that Sakaguchi is overrated.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
Depends on what FF game we are talking about. FFIV or FFVI are great, FFIX is almost great.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Blue Dragon (360)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 10:48:56 AM »
The first Final Fantasy was the best if you ask me.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 11:39:45 AM »
I liked what I played of FF7.  Am I a bad person?
GOREGASM!

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 11:44:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot
The first Final Fantasy was the best if you ask me.

Indeed, the original is the only mainline Final Fantasy I've really cared for either. 11 was fun for like a month... way too rigid equipment standards for a serious MMO though.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 08:11:29 AM »
Oh dear, I HATE the original Final Fantasy now.  Way too much level grinding and a terrible magic system.  After a few Super NES games showed me that level grinding was boring, I traded my copy of FFI for a pack of gum.  However, that's just personal taste for you.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:54:06 AM »
What type of Gum?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 12:56:11 PM »
I watched some gameplay footage of this game from IGN...it looks ok, it looks just like the typical JRPG game, nothing new, but if the emphasis is story and the gameplay is not enticing enough then whats the point of getting this game.

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 02:03:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
I liked what I played of FF7.  Am I a bad person?

Yes it makes you a very bad person. If it wasn't for FF8 and FFX-2, FF7 would be my least favorite Final Fantasy game ever. Although I don't think its possible for me to despise any game more than FF7. The insane hype versus the reality of the game was beyond disappointing.
Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 12:53:54 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
After a few Super NES games showed me that level grinding was boring, I traded my copy of FFI for a pack of gum.

I hope you traded it for good gum, like Cola flavour. (NOT Vanilla Cola flavour, it's not the same.)

Moving on - I was kind of hoping that Blue Dragon was going to be action-RPG.  I like an RPG where you actually get to hit things.  My favourites were Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Soul Blazer, and Brain Lord was fun too (if not only because of the WACKY TITLE).  Oh well, maybe one day another nice Action RPG will arrive again.  Maybe.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »
Did they even have Vanilla Cola back then?

And I agree, Action RPGs are better. Not necessarily because they're realtime but because there are no transitions for battles and you can avoid a fight. Nothing is more annoying than having to run through an area with random encounters, even if the enemies in the encounter pose no threat or you can easily run away, the whole transition, loading, etc takes way too much time in most games.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 02:48:27 PM »
There are only a few select "real" RPGs that I like - I just can't handle selecting attacks rather than actually playing.. Some Action RPGs are great, though.

Moving on - I was kind of hoping that Blue Dragon was going to be action-RPG. I like an RPG where you actually get to hit things. My favourites were Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Soul Blazer, and Brain Lord was fun too
You forgot Tales of Symphonia
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 03:14:33 PM »

Did they even have Vanilla Cola back then?

Vanilla Coke? That's been around since forever. Young Whippersnappers. Back in my day, soda jerks added our cola flavorings by hand, and that's the way we liked it.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
Yes Papii.

The idea of the mini-game battle system intrigues me even though I seem to miss most of the games that use it.  I don't mind random battles but  I do like more interactivity within my game.  So it requires more then just a button press to do things.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 07:32:09 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
There are only a few select "real" RPGs that I like - I just can't handle selecting attacks rather than actually playing.. Some Action RPGs are great, though.

Moving on - I was kind of hoping that Blue Dragon was going to be action-RPG. I like an RPG where you actually get to hit things. My favourites were Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Soul Blazer, and Brain Lord was fun too
You forgot Tales of Symphonia

Maybe if Tales were an Action/RPG...  

Since you still go into a separate battle screen, I'd consider the game an "RPG with action elements."

(<3 Terranigma so much...SO MUCH...If I had to pick one game to be on the Virtual Console, Terranigma would be it!)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
Does that make Link an "RPG with action elements" too?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 07:34:49 PM »
No, because Zelda has absolutely NO stats what-so-ever...If it doesn't have stats, it's not an RPG...

(Except for Adventure of Link, duh...)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »
I thought Link had stats of some sort.  The rest of them definitely not.  But it's been lets see... over 10 years since I last played it.  So I'm going to assume I was mistaken.