Author Topic: Wii is 2 years old  (Read 13357 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Wii is 2 years old
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »
2007 and 2008 are years that went by so fast for all of us, because those were years we spent playing with our Wiis. As the saying goes, time flys when you're having fun. What could be more fun than a little Wii Play? :)
is your sanity...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 01:39:57 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games I've ever played, and that's more than enough for me to love my Wii.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:02 AM »
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is the new game I can play for the rest of the generation.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 04:55:49 AM »
PS3 owners really didn't go nuts for LBP at launch. Sales are average at best for it.

Sounds like it was a game for the narrow definition of the hardcore (whiners on the internets) then...

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 05:26:08 AM »
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is the new game I can play for the rest of the generation.
I would have to agree Pro. I am not done with it yet but with the monster collecting aspect of it. I think you could craft tons and tons of combonations. Figuring everybody's story out in relation to the original.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »
I got my Wii on November 18th for my Birthday.  My party was running around trying to get a line to buy one, and every line was too long and the stores already commented on not having enough.

So resigned to just finish the party at my house with my friends...and my best friend since elementary school stayed over.  I woke up early around 6:00am or 7:00am and jumped in my car driving around again.  The line at target was too long, and the line at Best Buy was even worse.  I heard that Circuit City had Wiis, and there was no line.  So I drove up there, and a guy standing out in front of the store was giving out vouchers for the Wiis they had.  I literally got the LAST voucher, no lie...and so I took the treasure home with me, and slept another hour and a half, because the store didn't open til 9:00am. 

I bought Super Monkey Ball, Twilight Princess, and Excite Truck.  Unfortunately Super Monkey Ball was a huge disappointment, but it did fill a multiplayer party game gap for awhile.  Sega just screwed up on the controls of the main game. 

Twilight Princess was a great game I loved, and Excite Truck was a good filler game.

Now I have:  Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Brawl, Excite Truck, about 30 Virtual console/Wii Ware games, Zak and Wiki, Geometry Wars, Guilty Gear, Boom Bloks and a few more. 

I have loved my Wii, and I can't wait for several more years of Wii goodness.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »
Unfortunately Super Monkey Ball was a huge disappointment, but it did fill a multiplayer party game gap for awhile.  Sega just screwed up on the controls of the main game.
WTF, I feel the exact opposite, main game is AWESOME, good solid controls and amazing music and levels, while the majority of the multiplayer games were an unplayable mess. Regarding the controls after lots of time with the game I was seriously doing zen-like things with it just by instinct I could never do in the original two SMBs, though maybe the jump helped add that wow factor. I got it a few weeks after Wii came out with Red Steel and I had amazing fun with both. Lots of late nights playing Banana Blitz, mastering the levels and getting insane replays, and Red Steel was an awesome experience. The games I got at launch though were Wii Play, Sports and Zelda. Amazing times. Wii is like something i'd pull out of one of my dreams and say "I want this to exist", but it's real.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »
Ian, Nintendo did exactly that with Disaster, but nobody bought it, so they probably aren't going to try again.

What?  A game that isn't even announced for North America?  This is the big new IP from Nintendo that's supposed to convince me Nintendo isn't neglecting core gamers?  Nobody bought it?  How the hell could we?  It hasn't been released yet!  Japan may not have bought it but Japan's tastes in games now SUCKS anyway and North America gamers shouldn't be punished because the Japanese market no longer has any taste.

On the horizon we've got Punch-Out (sequel) and Sin & Punishment 2 (sequel) and then a bunch of stuff that probably won't ever leave Japan and on the Cube would be considered B level territory at best.  I'm excited about those sequels but I want something new and I want it to be one of Nintendo's big AAA titles for the year.  And from the Nintendo devs that MATTER like Retro, Intelligent Systems or EAD not the b-teams like Skip or N-Space.  You guys must know the difference between a major release and a minor one.  Why Super Mario Galaxy is a big deal but Captain Rainbow isn't.  And it isn't because one's a sequel and one isn't.  I'm talking GOTY candidate stuff vs. rental.

If Miyamoto revealed some new IP he created and it was clearly targetted at core gamers and it was going to be Nintendo's big release of the year it would show to me that Nintendo actually cares about more than the blue ocean group.  I want it so that if I discount the non-gamer stuff the release schedule of the core gamer first pary games is identical to the Cube's before Nintendo abruptly abandoned it for its last two years.  You can't possibly look at this barren Christmas season for the Wii and tell me that the core gamer release schedule has been unaffected by their focus on non-gamers.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
Unfortunately Super Monkey Ball was a huge disappointment, but it did fill a multiplayer party game gap for awhile.  Sega just screwed up on the controls of the main game.
WTF, I feel the exact opposite, main game is AWESOME, good solid controls and amazing music and levels, while the majority of the multiplayer games were an unplayable mess. Regarding the controls after lots of time with the game I was seriously doing zen-like things with it just by instinct I could never do in the original two SMBs, though maybe the jump helped add that wow factor. I got it a few weeks after Wii came out with Red Steel and I had amazing fun with both. Lots of late nights playing Banana Blitz, mastering the levels and getting insane replays, and Red Steel was an awesome experience. The games I got at launch though were Wii Play, Sports and Zelda. Amazing times. Wii is like something i'd pull out of one of my dreams and say "I want this to exist", but it's real.

Oh the multiplayer games controls were horrible...but there were some great games that were playable.  Monkey Wars, The Hang Gliding game and such. 

But, it hurt my wrist to play the main game.  I don't know why Sega didn't just let you hold the controller in the classic controller position.  2 hands for more stability, and no need to twist your wrist.  I really love the main game of Monkey Ball, and bought the game for that...but the controls were horrible. 

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 02:32:58 AM »
Quote from: Ian Sane
What?  A game that isn't even announced for North America?  This is the big new IP from Nintendo that's supposed to convince me Nintendo isn't neglecting core gamers? 

Is it? I thought it was a video game. Import it and shut up, you cry baby.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 03:01:22 AM »
You can't possibly look at this barren Christmas season for the Wii and tell me that the core gamer release schedule has been unaffected by their focus on non-gamers.
Mary, mother of Jesus, man..... this again? Nintendo isn't neglecting core gamers because they have released more of their own core games within the same time frame than they did on the Gamecube. See, I don't buy this "focusing on non-gamers" nonsense because the way I see it, Nintendo is releasing everything we've come to expect Nintendo to release in addition to more casual affair like Wii Fit.

And 3rd party support is better. On Gamecube, publishers might as well have just released empty boxes, all 7 of those games. Sure, there's a ton of crap out on the Wii from 3rd parties, but there's a ton of crap on 360 and PS3. Boobs and violence don't make crappy games suddenly not crappy anymore. The ratio of good to bad games on each system are probably pretty close. I only fault the Wii lineup for its abundance of last generation ports (which have slowly become less frequent) and even then, a good game is still a good game. I'm glad that, for example, Okami was released on the Wii.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
Eh, don't bother, Adrock. Ian's got his trolling down pretty damn well. He baits with the same thing every single thread, no matter what it's actually about. He can derail anything. Then he'll proceed to ignore the replies he quotes and copy+paste his initial post. Endless loops.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 02:09:58 AM »
On the horizon we've got Punch-Out (sequel) and Sin & Punishment 2 (sequel) and then a bunch of stuff that probably won't ever leave Japan and on the Cube would be considered B level territory at best.

We have a lot more than that on the horizon, Ian. Haven't you realized by now that studios are constantly working on stuff? Nintendo doesn't just pay them to sit around and shoot nerf balls at each other. When a studio like Retro wraps things up with an AAA title like Metroid, they immediately switch gears and begin work on something new. Just because stuff hasn't been announced doesn't mean its not on the horizon. The problem is video games take months or years to develop, so give it time.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 02:48:52 AM »
Well, the games Ian hates so much take less than a year to develop but he's not going to buy anything that takes less than two anyway.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »
I think we should all do an Ian and use selective posting, quoting and reading, and skip all his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »
see what you started Maxi..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »
I will keep that in mind Mario.

Any more stories of how you got the Wii? Also what games have you played on Wii?Also have you gotten someone to purchase a Wii?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
I will keep that in mind Mario.

Any more stories of how you got the Wii? Also what games have you played on Wii?Also have you gotten someone to purchase a Wii?

Nope. My story was cut and dry. I did get my gf a wii for her birthday this past August, along with wii fit since she liked playing mine (and i liked watching.. mmm) but that wasn't hard at all. I walked into a GS one day after work cuz its the closest place that sold one, asked if they had a Wii, which they did but no Wii Fit. The latter i ended up getting the next week, with a similar story: walk in, ask, paid for it. No hassle.

In the two years after release i have more games for my Wii then i ever had during my Cubes lifespan. To be fair, i think my GC collection is still technically bigger, but thats because i keep picking up some used games every now and again, stuff i missed out on the first time around. Thats even with a few games i sold (in order to get new wii games:)), but those were disposable titles i won't miss anyway (Tony Hawk games for instance).

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »
I got 5 people to get a Wii. I had my Birthday party at a friends apartment complex. I brought over Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, and Super Mario Galaxy. I used Mario Kart to sell the controls. Lots of people wanted a Wii after they got their hands on it.
Another group of friends are getting a Wii for Christmas.I recommended De Blob and Wii Music.I am also giving two of my GC games to them DDR:Mario Mix and Harvest Moon:Magical Melody.I don't play those that much and they would enjoy it more than I.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
We have a lot more than that on the horizon, Ian. Haven't you realized by now that studios are constantly working on stuff?

Of course they're always working on stuff but if you don't know what they're working on how do you know if you can be excited about it?  They might be working on the greatest game ever or it might be super lame non-gamer crap.  There was a time I didn't know what EAD was working on and then it turned out to be... Wii Music.  For all we know Retro is currently working on Metroid Prime 1 & 2 with remote controls and that's their next project.  Anything after that is years away.  Well that would certainly suck, wouldn't it?  Or they could be working on something absolutely awesome and for the first time isn't related to Metroid.  You never know and these days I can never assume any Nintendo dev is working on something worthwhile.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »
Then get excited about the stuff that is announced rather than complaining that you don't see pictures of a half-running prototype. I'm pretty fucking certain you'd still complain if they just announced the name and you'd complain even more if they showed pictures from their current development build that will be seriously unfinished and unpresentable. Do you want a bunch of pictures with debug outputs and placeholder graphics? That'd just leave a bad first impression and make people hate the game before it's even done. First impressions are important, you can't just half-ass them to rush them out earlier. The game's far off, noone cares if you announce it a year or three months before release by the time it's out.

Also you are whining that you don't know everything a single, specific developer does. Perhaps you should look at the other developers that have announced something? I don't see you caring much about Dynamic Slash, for example (which is being made by Sandlot, a company that makes games that are just distilled awesome).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:47:35 PM by KDR_11k »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »
Also you are whining that you don't know everything a single, specific developer does. Perhaps you should look at the other developers that have announced something? I don't see you caring much about Dynamic Slash, for example (which is being made by Sandlot, a company that makes games that are just distilled awesome).

I don't care because Dynamic Slash sounds like small potatoes.  It's made by a company I had to look up just now to even figure out who the hell they are.  They've released only like two games in North America and those are obscure b-title at best.  Odds are Dynamic Slash may not even be released here, much like Disaster.  Obscure Japanses developer + no announcement regarding a US release = I don't care.  Now if things change and we start finding out more info about it and it is annouced for US release then I'll pay more attention to it but for now I don't care.

My argument is merely that I don't see the big Nintendo "we give more than a token effort about the core" gesture and until Nintendo's big guns actually reveal what they're working on I'm not going to see it.  I'm in a "show me" mood and if the best new IPs for core gamers you can show me are potentially import-only titles from minor devs, well that's not enough.

If Sony or MS fans were pointing to such laughably minor titles as big can't-miss games on the horizon you guys would make fun of them and justifiably so.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2008, 09:08:22 PM »
Of course they're always working on stuff but if you don't know what they're working on how do you know if you can be excited about it?
Except that you do. For example, and by no means is this the only example....

Nintendo: We're working on a new Zelda game.
Ian: What on earth are they working on?
Nintendo: Zelda.
Ian: How frustrating?! That could be anything.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »
How many years have I been here and Ian Sane says his opinion about Nintendo, mixed with some intelligent and sometimes not intelligent analysis and then we all bash Ian for bashing Nintendo.

It is such a cliche of this board that it should almost be a standard sitcom joke. 

I almost here the canned laughter in the distance.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 11:01:20 PM »
Somehow there's no webcomic yet.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.