Author Topic: Wii is 2 years old  (Read 13361 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Wii is 2 years old
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:57:32 AM »
Well it has been two years since Wii launched at took the world by storm.ITT I would like to hear your launch stories and what Wii games you have purchased in the time the Wii has been out.

My story of getting the Wii is full of excitement,disappointment, and euphoria.

It was about a month before the Wii came out and I remember getting excited!I didn't have enough money for the Wii at launch.So I picked up my preorder of Red Steel at launch.Black Friday rolled around I had enough.So I walked down to Target at 5:00am and looked for one.No luck there. I took the bus and went to Walmart and it was the same story as Target.Gamestop was close so I went there.They sold their last Wii about 30 min before. Undeterred I went to Best Buy.By this time it was about 11:30 am so it was getting late for BF shopping.I had no luck there or at Circuit City. On my way back I looked in another Target.No Luck.I got home and I was disappointed. Nearby I found out that someone was selling a Wii.They wanted $325 for it so I had some money to make. Finally when I made the money one of my friends handled it and I was under the impression that I would have a Wii soon. After about a week or so I wanted to find out where my Wii was.So I got to talking with my friend and it turns out this guy had gotten arrested for drug charges after my money went to this guy that had my Wii.Needless to say I was mad.I would have to continue my search for a Wii.So  I called up all of the stores I went to on Black Friday in the days and weeks after.I tried everyday till I found out that Gamestop was getting shipments at 1:00 on December 1st.He told me that Fed Ex would bring some in the next shipment So I was excited!As I was reaching the mall where Gamestop was located I saw a Fed Ex truck and a UPS truck.I was in the backseat so I squeezed my self out and ran towards Gamestop. When I arrived I told the associate about the trucks that I seen. It turns out that FedEx was for the PS3 and UPS was Wii. I was waiting intently for my Wii.I got one Finally! As I looked at my receipt I saw the name Nick. I first thought about St.Nick.It was a Christmas miracle.:)

In the time after I got my Wii I have gotten.
Trauma Center:SO,MKA,MP3:Corruption,No More Heroes,Castle of Shikigami 3,Okami,Boom Blox,Zack&Wiki,Elebits,RE4:Wii Edition,SNK Arcade Classics:Vol 1,Samba De Amigo,Mario Kart Wii,Mario Super Sluggers,Zelda:TP,RE:The Umbrella Chronicles,Super Mario Galaxy,Mario&Sonic,SSBB and TOS:Dawn of the New World.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:59:36 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wii is 2 years old
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:17:48 AM »
I think Capcom should give the Wii something nice for its birthday. Something like a port of RE5

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:56 AM »
I remember the launch day. I went to the train station early to be there for the first stores opening in the nearby city but then I started thinking about it some more, decided that the only game I wanted, Zelda TP, was better on the GC (camera controls!) so I just went back home. A week later or so my father played a demo of Wii Sports boxing and decided we need to buy a Wii so he paid the preorder money (50€) for the next batch. I think we got the Wii a day or two later.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:58:33 AM »
Stood outside Myer on launch day, there was a large crowd. I was talking to this guy about vidya games. Store opens, most of the crowd rush over to the CD section. Turns out Myer had a promotion where the first 100 of some...one's new album came with a free ticket to see their live show.

So, there were six of us there at launch for the Wii. Myer had no idea what we were talking about, they never even bothered to unpack the Wii's, games or accessories in advance so we had to wait around for about half an hour. Then I bought the Wii with Zelda, Rayman, Monkey Ball and Wii Play.

Played Zelda for a few hours, ended up selling it about two weeks later. Monkey Ball and Rayman are no longer with the living either. Only Wii Play remains from launch! Wii Sports was so incredible though, God damn. I have enjoyed many vidya games on the Wii.

- BIG DAMN TRUCKS
- Kororinpa
- Boom Blox
- Ghost Squad
- Disaster: Day of Crisis
- de Blob
- Eledees
- No More Heroes
- House of the Dead 2&3 Return
- Williams Pinball Hall of Fame
- Mario Kart Wii
- NiGHTS: JoD
- Wii Sports
- Bomberman Blast
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
- Gottlieb Pinball Classics
- Alien Crush Returns
- Lost Winds
- Toki Tori
- Resident Evil: UC
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Oneechanbara Revolution
- Wario Land: Shake Dimension
- Endless Ocean
- Virtual Console opening the doors to the likes of the TG-16 which was never released here. Also Sin & Punishment

Not bad for a console with no games.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 05:06:01 AM by Infernal Monkey »

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 07:26:08 AM »
I got mine on launch day and it's easily been my favorite console of this generation. I'm really enthused by the number of fun games there are on the system.
I'm also glad it's blowing everything else out of the water sales wise so hardcore gamers get their panties all wadded up. I hope wii fit and animal crossing sell five millions plus copies and Wii Pro Nails Shoppe comes out next year and sells another couple million.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »
I got mine in March of 07 when people were going crazy for the system. I didn't want to get ripped off so I went to the Nintendo Store (plus they were the only ones who had it) and stood online for three hours. This was a unique situation because it was a Monday morning and I was still sore from getting punched out at a performance gone wrong. There was also a nor easter passing through so I stood outside in the pouring rain with a black eye.
I ended up getting Zelda along with the system. I called out from work for the next few days and enjoyed it. What's real funny is that when I was setting it up the cat watched the pointer for a good two hours. Cats love the Wii!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:59:02 AM »
I've probably told this story a million times so heres the short version, just to share it with Maxi and any other new readers.

I got mine on launch day, though I didn't think i would cuz of the crazy day I had...

I wake up early, drive to the train and hop on it to get to Manhattan for work, which i had to be at extra early. I was working at the Nintendo World Store, and being the Wii launch and all they needed every employee possible and as early as possible. Now I don't remember the time I had to be there, or anything like that but I DO remember the words i uttered when i walked up to 48th St. "Holy ****".

I knew that being the Nintendo World Store on Wiis launch day there'd be a line but i didnt expect anything so freaking massive. It was almost as big a shock as meeting Reggie a few days prior. I get to work and they have me doing a few different things; unpackaging bags and setting them upen next to the register so the cashiers could move the lines faster, or they'd have me unpacking Wii's from the shipment boxes and moving them out to the sales floor. The best thing they had me do was go outside and work the line. Take a count of how many people there were up to a certain point so we knew the cut off, so sadly everyone after that point wouldnt get a wii since we'd be sold out. I remember not even being cold though the temperatures were freezing out, but being close to so many nintendo fans (and you knew who they were) and just the excitement of being part of the launch was keeping me warm. I walked around talking to fans, answering questions for parents, meeting tons of new people. It was freaking awesome to say the least.

After that morning rush ended, it was back to normal and my job was simple: WiiSports gaurdian; basically i'd show people how to play, and was getting paid for it. Tons o' fun! At the end of the day there were a few wii's left over for the employees that pre-ordered... i wasn't one of them. In fact i had no preorder anywhere because NWR suggested pre-ordering would be useless, that thered be tons of wii's for everyone. Oh well. I did pick up Zelda and Red Steel at the end of my shift, with my small discount there.

Earlier in the day I'd called my mom and told her to keep an eye out for a Wii if she was out shopping, if she saw one to pick it up and i'd pay her back. I was very casual about the whole thing because i thought it'd be easy to get a wii, again because NWR said so. I'm glad my mom was able to find one (two actually!) cuz obviously NWR was wrong. When i got home my wii was waiting for me, i made my Mii all giddy (even though i'd made dozens at work) and played some wiisports (even though i was burnt out on the game from playing it so much at work! lol). I didnt get to play zelda till that weekend after, but its ok cuz.. yep, you guessed it.. i also played that at work!

I'm too lazy to list the games i've gotten since then. I'll edit this later to include it though, maybe.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »
nintendo has been a successful casual gamer company for 2 years
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:37:28 PM »
BIG DAMN TRUCKS

Best game on Wii.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »
Has anybody done anything to commemorate the 2nd birthday of the Wii?Like replaying the games you got at launch or anything else?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 01:25:12 AM »
Anything that has happened in the 2 years of Wii's launch date is fair game. So talk about whatever you want.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 02:30:45 AM »
nintendo has been a successful casual gamer company for 2 years

The NES launched two years ago? Whoa!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 12:02:10 PM »
Here's the original Wii GET thread.  There are some fun memories in there, all right.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
Ah, good memories.

And for some NOT-SO-GOOD memories, here's the Wii FAIL-GET thread, which is almost as fun as the Wii GET thread UPB just posted.

edit: Man, there's a lot of angst in that thread. BEWARE!! But we can all laugh about it now, right? ...Right?? :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:29:40 PM by decoyman »
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
Ridiculously epic.

Epic indeed.  ;D  Good story!

I'm curious--have you made good on your threat?

Aside #1: Bear in mind that she could have told us this information several minutes earlier, because it was blatantly obvious what we were we had lined up to get. Instead, she chose to make us watch her get a Starbucks, unlock the door, turn on everything in the store, and take her sweet time doing it. All the while she knew that she had no consoles. That’s TERRIBLE customer service, folks, and EB Games/GameStop will never get another dime of my considerable gaming budget because of it. Their entire chain is dead to me. There are plenty of places where I can buy games without having to deal with rude, inconsiderate, and unfriendly employees.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 03:21:33 PM »
While it doesn't feel weird for the Wii to be two years old it does feel weird to me that I've now owned it for well over a year.  I got Super Mario Galaxy for Christmas last year and yet the Wii itself seems like a new addition to my house.

I got the Wii shortly before Metroid Prime 3 came out so summer 2007 I guess.  I didn't have any interest in the Wii at launch since I have a Gamecube and didn't need to drop a few hundred bucks to get new hardware to play Twilight Princess.  I ended up getting the Wii pretty much once I was able to find one.  Superstore got some in one day and I hesitated in getting one.  At that point there still wasn't anything released yet I was interested in.  Well a few days later they didn't have it anymore so I decided that with Metroid due in the pipeline I best take the next opportunity I got, otherwise I might be stuck.  So for the next month or so when I was in Superstore doing my grocery shopping I would alway check the electronics section just in case.  When I found a Wii I don't recall it being a routine grocery shopping trip.  I recall going there for one quick emergency item and ended up coming back with a Wii.  It was very different then my Gamecube purchase which was calculated and had months of anticipation.  That week I had no idea I would buy a Wii and didn't care if I did or not.  It was just "better get this now for when Metroid comes out" and that was it.  It was hardly on my mind at all.  So it was weird to phone my brother out of the blue and tell him I had a Wii.  He thought that was pretty cool.

I think things have gone by so fast just because 2007 and 2008 have gone by fast for me for personal reasons unrelated to videogames.  I'm hoping by the time the Wii turns three it will have felt like it took a long time to get there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »
I've barely played the Wii in the almost 2 years since I bought it (I got Gamecrazy's 3rd shipment in early December). I only play through the current new game I buy then it sits and collects dust. I played the hell out of the N64 and Gamecube, though to be fair I was in junior high and high school resceptively. The only game that really impressed me was No More Heroes and I'm sorely disappointed in Brawl which was supposed to be my crack for the next 5 years.

Now, this isn't to say that I think a 360 or PS3 would've been better choices. I'd probably play them just as much if not less. Rather, it's the games. Nothing wows me though I still regularly buy games that look interesting and I have fun with them. Maybe, at the ripe old age of 24, I've grown spoiled, but I remember being floored by Ocarina of Time.  Honestly, I've the most time into the DS and not just because I've had it longer.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »
For me I don't spend as much time with the Wii as I did my Cube because for me a lot of Nintendo's big franchises have grown stale.  Like the games are still good but, dammit, I've DONE this before.  It's not that interesting anymore.  However the new stuff is like Wii Fit and Wii Music which I care about even less.  The "core games" seem to all be sequels.  And I'm limited on third party games because the third party support sucks (though the third party games I do have all rock).

The Wii is LONG overdue for a big awesome new first party IP for core gamers.  As far as I can tell no such game exists or has been announced.  We need something new that's as special as Zelda and Mario.  On the Gamecube Pikmin was this for me and on the N64 it was Rare's games.  This is why the Conduit is getting so much hype, when it really wouldn't on another console.  There just isn't anything like it on the Wii and though the genre is well established, it's a new IP and that's exciting.

I think Nintendo REALLY underestimates how exciting that is.  Little Big Planet and Gears of War didn't exist last gen but when they were revealed Sony and MS owners went nuts.  Now you can point out sales and say that Wii Fit crushes them all in sales and LBP was a bomb or whatever but sometimes you just have to throw your really devoted fans a bone and get them excited.  It creates good will with your customers.  It makes them feel like you care about pleasing them.  And sometimes, like with Halo, that exciting new IP becomes a huge franchise of its own.  This whole "Nintendo is neglecting the core" attitude exists because Nintendo hasn't done that yet.  When they try to impress us they bust out a 20 year old franchise that gets less exciting with every sequel.  And when they show something brand new and they sound really excited about it it's a non-game.  Franchise games feel like a token effort.  "Crank out a new Mario sports game and that'll shut them up."  They'll always be "lol casualtendo!" until they routinely make new AAA material for core gamers.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »
2007 and 2008 have gone annoyingly fast
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
Ian, Nintendo did exactly that with Disaster, but nobody bought it, so they probably aren't going to try again.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »
Ian do YOU have a idea for a game that fits your criteria?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »
I think Nintendo REALLY underestimates how exciting that is.  Little Big Planet and Gears of War didn't exist last gen but when they were revealed Sony and MS owners went nuts.

Well that's just wrong.  Nobody owned a 360 when Gears of War was revealed in August 2005.  And Little Big Planet started off as some kind of Home download toy that had to be converted to a full disc game because Sony didn't have much else and were failing pretty fast.  Sony said they were aiming that game towards the casuals anyway, but then suddenly it became a "hardcore bone" or whatever.  It's funny that you bring up Halo, because Halo is about to be milked out as a series.  I guess it'll have to be 20 years old before it gets "stale."

Franchise games feel like a token effort.  "Crank out a new Mario sports game and that'll shut them up."  They'll always be "lol casualtendo!" until they routinely make new AAA material for core gamers.

And, in case you missed their October conference, Nintendo threw several bones, in the form of Punch-out, Some swordy game called Dynamic Slash, Cosmic Walker, Beautiful Ocean, Sin and Punishment 2.  Particularly Punch-out, a game with more cameo appearances than actual games, has many people very excited, despite being a "20-year old franchise."  These are all games not intended for the stereotypical Grandma Gamer and you conveniently don't mention them because they obliterate this ridiculous strawman argument.  Quit trying to be a demagogue for people that do not agree with you.  Seriously.  Stop.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »
Ian, Nintendo did exactly that with Disaster, but nobody bought it, so they probably aren't going to try again.

If they just shift the marketing money for WiiMusic to Disaster it might have sold better

It would sell better than Wii music anyway :P

The wii, well I've never bought so many games for a console in its first two year lifespan, then again only just a year ago I had a moderately decent income for the first time in my life. I like the console but I feel its potential at this point will never be tapped. It will happen sadly too late and too close to the launch of wii 2 with whatever Zelda or Mario or something Nintendo does next, because third parties are stupid. I say overall I'm actually dissapointed. And is everyone's fault, from gamers to third parties to Nintendo themselves, but it has been ok anyway.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »
PS3 owners really didn't go nuts for LBP at launch. Sales are average at best for it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144