Author Topic: Episode 638: Eaten by Buster Wolf  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 638: Eaten by Buster Wolf
« on: September 08, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »

A direct, multiple events, and a special guest!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/51653/episode-638-eaten-by-buster-wolf

THIS is the kind of momentous episode where I'll let the episode do the talking. There's so much content that we just can't document it all. This definitely isn't me trying to get out of writing up a long article

With Greg out celebrating the the freedom of Antonio Brown, we're joined for this journey by former host of RFN Jonathan Metts.

Jonny starts the show with a some of the many games he played at PAX West 2019. We couldn't get through them all but we did talk:

• Haven
  •  
  • Super Meat Boy Forever
  •  
  • Skater XL
  •  
  • WaveBreak
  •  
  • Trials of Mana
  •  
  • Time Travel Adventure (Playdate)

After a break, we turned our attention to last week's Nintendo Direct. There's a ton of news, but most pressingly we now live in a world where they're making a sequel to Deadly Premonition and also Nintendo is probably going to try to sell you a bicycle tire with some Joy Con attached. Oh, and Terry is here to scream broken English at Kirby.

Finally, we catch up with Guillaume, who was able to get some hands-on time with some of Nintendo's holiday offerings.

• Switch Lite
  •  
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  •  
  • Witcher 3
  •  
  • Link's Awakening
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 638: Eaten by Buster Wolf
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 04:54:40 AM »
It was interesting to hear Jonny talk about the Playdate. Im still very interested in getting a Playdate, even though it probably isnt quite worth the money.

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
Awesome hearing Johnny!

Btw i don't think Banjo plays anywhere near DK. Hes a high skill character IMO.

A lot of his moves other than the forward B are tricky to use. Even the forward B can be avoided easily.

check out some high level Banjo play and that backwards bomb is the one of if not the best tool in your kit.

You can use it to recover. you can use it to control space and you can use it in a lot of creative ways. You can even grab it and hold shield and i'll damage anyone near you but it won't hurt you.

Hes probably not top tier but he's tons of fun.

Cautiously optimistic about Luigis Mansion? lol. Such a negative view. lol. The 3DS game was amazing and the Switch game looks great too. Weird that you add a cautiously optimistic line. lol.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:11:50 PM by Kobeskillz »

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »
yeah SNK is huge in Mexico. Huge.

I used to go to TJ almost weekly as a kid to visit family and me and my cousins would play this non stop in the local arcades, local mart store (one in every corner practically) and then on home consoles as well. SNK fighting games and metal slug was a religion in mexico with some amazing amazing players.

So while america was like who? Latin america was probably going nuts!!!! this character is legit and deserves a spot.

Smash is big in latin america and i see it getting bigger. some of the top players are from latin america. Zero, Mk leo etc.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
The only places I ever encountered SNK cabinets as a kid weren't at arcades, but at little side rooms at places like laundromats, hotel pools, and Pizza Huts, 90% of the time coupled with a Playchoice-10 cabinet.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
Cautiously optimistic about Luigis Mansion? lol. Such a negative view. lol. The 3DS game was amazing and the Switch game looks great too. Weird that you add a cautiously optimistic line. lol.

Dark Moon was pretty good but I had my issues with it, that I didn't repeat on this podcast. In that game you ended up going back again and again to the same mansions for various missions, and if you wanted to collect those gems or get a high score, you basically had to search each hiding place again and again, which got repetitive.

The additional gameplay mechanics in 3 make me hopeful there will be more variety in terms of puzzles and that maybe Next Level won't feel the need to pad the playtime in the same way.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 02:08:56 PM »

Dark Moon was pretty good but I had my issues with it, that I didn't repeat on this podcast. In that game you ended up going back again and again to the same mansions for various missions, and if you wanted to collect those gems or get a high score, you basically had to search each hiding place again and again, which got repetitive.

The additional gameplay mechanics in 3 make me hopeful there will be more variety in terms of puzzles and that maybe Next Level won't feel the need to pad the playtime in the same way.

Yeah the Dark Moon mission structure was lame compared to the originals but other than that the game was absolutely great. If the game turns out to be great we all win. I'm looking forward to it. : )

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
If you want to hear about Dark Moon, there is a Patreon exclusive podcast all about it that was published in August.