Author Topic: Wii U Logo for E3 2012 Confirms the Name Is Final  (Read 23173 times)

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Logo for E3 2012 Confirms the Name Is Final
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »
Or we could just do what my parents do and just call it the "Nintendo".

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »

Yes, because that wouldn't be confusing at all.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 12:01:41 AM »
Yes, because that wouldn't be confusing at all.

Offline DEDwyer64

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »
I really have no problem with the name staying "Wii U" but I think the so called "hardcore gamers" will still look at it like it's a child's toy. The word "Wii" being in the title will most likely keep these gamers away (referencing the original Wii). This is a stupid decision on Nintendo's part and even though there is still a possibility that it could bring in some new Nintendo gamers, it is very slim.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »
I don't think "hardcore gamers" are going to be swayed by the name. If the system has games they want to play, they'll buy it, regardless of what it's called. If their problem is with Nintendo, a "cooler" name isn't going to change that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 01:19:13 AM »
Is there anyone who really *likes* the name?  I'm not talking about "I'm okay with it." or "It's better than what anyone else has come up with." - I mean you really, really like the name?

I pretty much feel the same way about it as I do with the Wii.  I don't like it, but I'll still be in line to get one day one because I don't buy a system based on the name...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 01:34:28 AM »
Who "really, really" likes the name Xbox 360, or Playstation Vita, though? Game console names are pretty dumb across the board if you really think about it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
No one "likes" the name Wii U, but they dont have to - they'll buy it anyway!
As long as "regular folk" can see it's different, they'll be fine.

Does anyone have any better suggestions for the name? (I don't!)

But honestly Super Wii..I always thought this was a joke, who in the right mind would bring back 1990's terminology!? Plus it makes it sound like a toy, rather than a family entertainment thing.
Wii 2, slightly better but then remember why the 360 wasn't called the XBox 2....

I think the most important thing for them to do is make the casing of the Wii U very different, the fact that the new model Wii (without GC support) doesnt come with a stand is not helping them!

I'm personally hoping for a new more elegant Wii U case and some cool looking game cases that helps them stand out from the Wii shovelware piles.
If the game boxes look exactly the same but with a "U" up top, now that is gonna be confusing as hell in places like Walmart etc, you're gonna get Grandmas buying NSMB Mii and giving it to their grandchildren with a Wii.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 01:44:33 AM »
When you really look at them, the vast majority of console names have been kind of dumb. I mean, really. Whether you referred to it as SNES or Super Nintendo Entertainment System, it's not exactly catchy. Gamecube, Dreamcast, Xbox? They're all pretty bad.

Wii and Wii U  might be the worst offenders, but they're certainly not the only badly named consoles out there. For me though, the Wii U problem is three-fold.

Firstly, unlike other console names like Gamecube, Xbox, and Dreamcast, Wii U doesn't naturally break up into two syllables when being pronounced. As a result it somehow sounds more, for lack of a better word, flaccid. It's just not as crisp or as intelligible as something like Gamecube.

Secondly, it's terrible branding. Not only does the name 'Wii U' seem ambiguous in terms of whether not it's an upgrade to the Wii or a brand new console, I feel the Wii U icon is similarly confusing. I'm not even sure that it's immediately apparent that the symbol after 'Wii' is supposed to be a U.

Lastly, the choice to use 'Wii' in the name at all seems like a misnomer. The Wii name certainly carries influence among certain casual gamers, a market Nintendo would no doubt wish to retain; but as much as Wii was popular between 2006 - 2010, today it's connotations are less positive and epecially so for core gamers. If Nintendo do genuinely wish to win back core gamers, branding this new console as a successor to the Wii would seem to me at least to be a mistake.

Gouge away.

Offline Trogdor915

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »
Just give us the WiivolUtion.
Oh well, i'm used to Wii U by now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 01:57:19 AM »
No one "likes" the name Wii U, but they dont have to - they'll buy it anyway!
As long as "regular folk" can see it's different, they'll be fine.

Does anyone have any better suggestions for the name? (I don't!)

Perhaps Nintendo should just be really brazen about it and call it what it will be to many people. The Mario Box. The system that has Mario. They could even bring back the gamecube design, paint it yellow and plaster a '?' on it.

I can see the adverts now.
"The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Revenge. Only on The Mario Box."
Gouge away.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 02:12:43 AM »
I liked GameCube.  And "N64".  And "NES".  ("Super Nintendo" is okay).  "Game Boy" is great, but a lot of that might have been age, now mixed with nostalgia.  "Game Boy Color" is fine with me.  "Game Boy Advance" always seemed a little awkward, but forgivable.  "DS" and "3DS" are good names (didn't care for "DSi" - too "iPod" rip-off-ish).  "Virtual Boy" was a great name, but that might be taking too much nostalgia from the "Game Boy" name.

On the other side of things - "Master System" is a great name.  "Genesis" as well.  Don't like "Mega Drive"... sounds clunky.  "Saturn", meh.  "Dreamcast" I've always liked.  "Playstation", I could take or leave.  I've never liked "XBox", as I've always detested anything with the letter "X" thrown into it, much like wordz with z on the end.  "Vita" is a great name, but "PlayStation Vita" is icky.

"Wii" and "Wii U"... I just really, really dislike - even more than "XBox".  I just don't like them.  I never have and probably never will.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 02:43:21 AM »
Super Wii.

You know that when you wish upon a star, that star is millions of light years away and is probably already dead? Just like your dreams.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 02:49:37 AM »
I liked GameCube.  And "N64".  And "NES".  ("Super Nintendo" is okay).  "Game Boy" is great, but a lot of that might have been age, now mixed with nostalgia.  "Game Boy Color" is fine with me.  "Game Boy Advance" always seemed a little awkward, but forgivable.  "DS" and "3DS" are good names (didn't care for "DSi" - too "iPod" rip-off-ish).  "Virtual Boy" was a great name, but that might be taking too much nostalgia from the "Game Boy" name.

On the other side of things - "Master System" is a great name.  "Genesis" as well.  Don't like "Mega Drive"... sounds clunky.  "Saturn", meh.  "Dreamcast" I've always liked.  "Playstation", I could take or leave.  I've never liked "XBox", as I've always detested anything with the letter "X" thrown into it, much like wordz with z on the end.  "Vita" is a great name, but "PlayStation Vita" is icky.

"Wii" and "Wii U"... I just really, really dislike - even more than "XBox".  I just don't like them.  I never have and probably never will.
^^Agreed tenfold.

I don't hear too many people say it, but I've always called it the "Super NES." I hear most people around here, or even online, say "SNES"...or even "Super Nintendo." But I've never called it that. Always been the good ol' Super NES for me.

I despise the Wii name. Imagine what the French have to go through! Ugh. And Wii U is just an abomination. Not only does it use the ridiculous name and continuation from the previous generation, but it also adds in the absurd transformation of the word "you." I hate it! And the "U" doesn't have anything to do with the design of the console! Absurd! Gah, it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Nintendo HD
Nintendo Stream
NES6
Nintendo Revolution (yes, I know it's the Wii project name)

The above are much superior names compared to the goofy tripe that is the Wii name. Nintendo marketing/advertising in the last 10 years has been full of the most heinous crap that the human eyes and ears have seen and heard. It's awful -- and they're completely out of touch with what is "marketably" cool.

There. Glad I got that out of my system. Continue on now. :P: :
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 02:54:56 AM »
Is there anyone who really *likes* the name?  I'm not talking about "I'm okay with it." or "It's better than what anyone else has come up with." - I mean you really, really like the name?

I pretty much feel the same way about it as I do with the Wii.  I don't like it, but I'll still be in line to get one day one because I don't buy a system based on the name...

Smite me if you dare, but I really like the name Wii U now. I certainly enjoy the way it looks more than the actual sound, but I still think the name is cool.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 03:01:46 AM »
I too like the name.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 03:10:14 AM »
I am going to have to side with Caterkiller and Oblivion on the name. I really like the name. Also Insanolord has a point with the name. A cool sounding console name isn't going to change peoples minds if it does then well they need to get their priorities straight. Games are what matter for consoles.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 03:18:49 AM »
And the "U" doesn't have anything to do with the design of the console!
Yes, it does. It's "you" as in your personal tablet. The U is even set inside a tablet shape.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 03:25:11 AM »
A rose by any other name....

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »
I can honestly say I at least saw this coming. :D There really wasn't any major reason to change the name in the first place.
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline Taffypool

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Just call it the Nintendo Fiil already and call it a day. Nintendo, Super NES, 64, Gamecube, Wii -- stick with tradition and come up with something different, even if you're leaning heavily on the double-i branding of the Wii.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
Who "really, really" likes the name Xbox 360, or Playstation Vita, though? Game console names are pretty dumb across the board if you really think about it.

The Atari Jaguar and Sega Dreamcast had cool names. It seems like the consoles with the coolest names always do the worst, and the ones with the crappiest names sell the best.

Anyway, the name may be final, but I at least hope they change the appearance of the console to look a lot less like the Wii than the prototype they showed off at E3 last year. If their intention is to confuse people then that design was perfect, but if they want people to think the Wii U is more than just a Wii revision then something different is needed.

As for the Wii U name, yeah it sucks... but that's what stickers are for. Just slap a sticker over the Wii U logo and your console can become anything you want it to be. The only limit is your imagination (and the stickers you have).

I am going to have to side with Caterkiller and Oblivion on the name. I really like the name. Also Insanolord has a point with the name. A cool sounding console name isn't going to change peoples minds if it does then well they need to get their priorities straight. Games are what matter for consoles.

Games are what matter for consoles, but do you know what matters for games? Market share. You don't want to give anyone a reason (no matter how stupid) to avoid your product. Maybe to you the name doesn't matter and maybe you think those people who it does matter to are stupid, but here is the thing: if they aren't buying the console then the success of that console is impacted, and like it or not this in turn effects you because it effects what third party support there will be.

The best example I can think of is the TV series Firefly which I really loved, but a lot of people never even gave it a chance because its a hybrid between science fiction and a western, so it tended to alienate both markets and both avoided. So the series ended up being cancelled and I suffered because of that.

It was stupid that people didn't give Firefly a chance, but it still effected me. And that's why I'm using that as an example of the Wii U and its name. If the console bombs because people don't give it a chance then it will effect you. Maybe the reason they won't give the console a chance is stupid, but stupid or not it will be a bad thing for you, me, all the Nintendo fans, and of course Nintendo themselves.

You say games are what matters and with that I heartily agree with you, but a stupid name like "Wii U" can have an adverse effect on that... so yes, the name does matter, because games are what matters, and you don't want to give people even trivial reasons to avoid your console because less market share means less games.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:23:37 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Gaviin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
How 'bout we get back to the NES moniker?  Get a little history/nostalgia, while using a name that can be reused for future consoles (NES 3, NES 4, etc.), which would give that name recognition and logical progression of versions that consumers like and understand.

Just a thought.  :)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »
They could have called it the Nintendo Tittybomb and it wouldn't have affected the "core" gamer crowd one iota. While there could well be people who claim they'd never buy something called the WiiU, these aren't the people that were going to be persuadable by Nintendo anyway.

The only thing that's going to win over that crowd is if the tablet controller is actually an important leap forward in functionality. Will you need a controller screen to be the best at Black Ops 3? If the answer is no, and the experience isn't transformative, then things will keep muddling along the way they have been with Nintendo viewed as the family console. Which is fine, it's a durable branding association, kids need safe products, and it can keep Nintendo alive for another gen, hopefully.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
While there could well be people who claim they'd never buy something called the WiiU, these aren't the people that were going to be persuadable by Nintendo anyway.

Nintendo could win that crowd over. It would take more than a simple name change to do it, but it could be done if they were serious about it. What Nintendo is lacking (and I've said this many times in many threads) is their own exclusive FPS franchise. Sony has Killzone and Resistance and Microsoft has Halo and Gears of War. Nintendo has nothing at all in this genre, and that's a huge void in their franchise offerings. Nintendo has pretty much every other genre well represented, but this one is sorely lacking and should be addressed. If this were addressed along with a name change then the "core" crowd could be won over.
is your sanity...