Author Topic: The ESA's arguments against letting people recreate dead servers are hilarious.  (Read 2592 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/preservation-or-theft-historians-publishers-argue-over-dead-game-servers/?comments=1

recreating servers for old games "places the copyright owner in the position of having its current releases and rereleases compete with unauthorized access to its older games, and also may diminish consumer demand for subscriptions to legitimate video game networks."

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Unfortunately current Copyright Law is woefully inadequate to deal with this kind of issue and the ESA lobbies for the corporations, which have 0 incentive to preserve their works beyond seeing how it could spring more cash for them in the future.

The important thing is that publishers and the ESA have already lost this battle. Even if they freeze museums out the internet will still win out in the battle of preservation.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Yeah, discontinuing use of a part of the game indefinitely messes with my original purchase. If a company can't run their own servers forever than the people should.

I would argue the propriety of this this falls into public domain by adverse possession or adverse abandonment.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile

The ESA's arguments against letting people recreate dead servers are hilarious.

recreating servers for old games "places the copyright owner in the position of having its current releases and rereleases compete with unauthorized access to its older games, and also may diminish consumer demand for subscriptions to legitimate video game networks."

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.