Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 240563 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
Perm, just like every other place in the world, Alaska CAN be a shady place if you go to the "wrong side of the tracks." Here in Anchorage, we have various areas (boroughs) where you don't want to be caught alone after nightfall. The other major cities--Eagle River, Wasilla, and Palmer--aren't too bad. Low populations, although Wasilla "allegedly" has a thriving druggie culture.

Alaska is basically divided up by town. Anchorage is where the "city folks" live. Wasilla is for rednecks, Palmer is for farmers, Eagle River is for right-wing zealots, Girdwood is for hippies, and Homer is for fishermen.

Total generalization, I know, but it works out most of the time. :-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
I mostly avoid the stores. They occassionally have a good sale but that's rare and usually their 2 for 30 deals only apply to shovelware and games I already have so I can't find even 2 games for those. Other than that they tend to be fairly expensive (with the exception of points cards which are cheapest there), the unwrapped boxes with tons of stickers are annoying and the used games cost too much to even contemplate (I bought two games used, one was defective (A GBA GAME!), the other worked fine but I only took it because it cost half of what the new one would have cost). As far as I can tell they don't try to push stuff you don't want on you here.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 04:29:18 PM »
One time I asked the clerk for a Nunchuk attachment for Wii, and she had no idea what I was talking about.

Never trust bitches working at a Gamestop store. 99% of the time, they have no clue what they're talking about because they were just hired due to titties.

First off, I'm not really sure if they have any standards as to what condition they will accept a game in, as I've gotten a few disc games which were scratched to all dirty floors and couldn't be read at all.

We do, but I know for a fact that not everybody at all stores bothers to look at the discs. I always do, and if it's too scratched up, it gets a defective trade, and gets sent for resurfacing. Sure, some slip by because frankly, there isn't enough time to actually test every game that comes in, but usually I can figure based on what the disc looks like.

Once I did a little experiment to test my suspicion that they put non-working game returns back on the shelf, by marking the game I had returned. Sure enough, when I went back a week later there it was sitting on the shelf. I guess they will continue to attempt to sell it until they sell it to somebody who wouldn't be bothered to return it.

You should have asked to talk to the manager when you saw that. Whoever did that should be written up. Defective game returns get a defective sticker, and get sent in for resurfacing.

I never buy new games from them any more because you never know if you'll get a sealed copy or not.

Sure you do. Ask if they have any copies that are shrinkwrapped, and don't buy any that are on the shelf.

EB Games was better than GameStop. Even after the buyout, they still had better prices and store setup.

Fundamentally untrue. After the buyout, all EB Games prices and policies were identical to those of Gamestop. As someone who works at an EB-turned-Gamestop, I was there for the transition.

These days I only go to GameStop when I'm looking for GameCube games, as they're used prices on Wii games are barely less than new.

Prices are based on demand. Wii games are the hot thing right now, so prices are slow to drop. Less popular games drop faster. NMH is $17.99.

What really bothers me though is that they've started putting the price sticker underneath the plastic cover and on the paper insert itself

That INFURIATES me, and I get all sorts of pissed off everytime I see it. I always put the sticker outside, because why in the name of GOD would you put it inside? What's the POINT? Ruining perfectly good cover art? Sorry no.

Anyway, what you said at the beginning is true. Experiences at Gamestop are like experiences at any store. Completely dependent on what store and who works there. I like to think that my Gamestop is pretty balls, because we have a bunch of awesome, friendly, and knowledgeable people working there (aside from my assistant manager, that ho), and my store manager isn't afraid to make the call to go with customer service over store policy. (which is how every retail outlet should be run, TBH. Customer service is by far the most important factor in a retail setting)
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »
Never trust bitches working at a Gamestop store. 99% of the time, they have no clue what they're talking about because they were just hired due to titties.
Okay seriously, that is just uncalled for.

Defective game returns get a defective sticker, and get sent in for resurfacing.
How long does this process take? It was a week later when I saw the game (possibly a couple days more than a week, I don't remember exactly), so would it have been possible for the game to be sent and returned within that time?

After the buyout, all EB Games prices and policies were identical to those of Gamestop.
Did this happen at every store the very instant the buyout took place? The EB Games around here didn't adopt GameStop's pricing for at least a few months after, if not longer, though they still accepted my GameStop card.

Prices are based on demand. Wii games are the hot thing right now, so prices are slow to drop. Less popular games drop faster. NMH is $17.99.
I guess GameStop isn't competing with eBay. Games like Super Mario Galaxy are still only $5 less than new, though on eBay the game can be found for at least $20 less than new, sometimes even more.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:14:11 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »
While I wouldn't be so blunt, there's some truth to that. Not that girls necessarily have no idea what they're talking about, but is it really too difficult to imagine that some girls are hired to be door whores and nothing else? Gamestop, at least every single one I've been to, is notorious for harassing people as soon as they step foot in the store. Because the demographic is primarily male, the idea is that they'll react more positively to any young moderately attractive female, especially one who's moderately well endowed. I'm not joking either and I don't mean to offend. That's just the way things are. See, I'd be skeptical too except my friend's girlfriend got a job at Gamestop a couple years ago. She doesn't know that much about gaming, but she fairly top heavy (and Asian... yeah, your guess is as good as mine). Were there more qualified applicants? Probably. Now, I'm not saying this happens everywhere, all time time, but my point is that it happens, probably more often than it should.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 07:19:22 PM »
For the record, S_B's girlfriend is a highly capable employee that owns all three systems and has a vast knowledge of gaming, especially music and fighting games, so there are exceptions. Another example was a girl who noticed my pre-order of Samba de Amigo and Soul Calibur IV and we talked about classic Dreamcast games and how there weren't that many 3D fighting games on the systems (this was at the time, now both consoles have a sizable amount of fighters in their rosters).

Maybe I am just lucky and got Gamestops that don't fit the stereotype. It seems I might be the minority on this...

And yes, cut down on the sexism guys. The girl is likely there for a living so there's no need for generalization or insults.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 07:28:39 PM »
Maybe I am just lucky and got Gamestops that don't fit the stereotype. It seems I might be the minority on this...
It's hard to say, in the big scheme of things this sampling of people here is infinitesimal compared to the number of GameStop stores and customers.

I've probably been to at least 15 different GameStops around my area, and as far as the employees went, only 2 of those had bad employees. Not terrible, just bad. They are both in a neighborhood that's kind of shady to begin with, so I guess it comes with the territory. Really, my problems with GameStop have nothing to do with the employees, and that's why I think it is a bit unfair to lump them all as incompetent, rude, lazy, ignorant, or whatever.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »
It's hard to say, in the big scheme of things this sampling of people here is infinitesimal compared to the number of GameStop stores and customers.

I've probably been to at least 15 different GameStops around my area, and as far as the employees went, only 2 of those had bad employees. Not terrible, just bad. They are both in a neighborhood that's kind of shady to begin with, so I guess it comes with the territory. Really, my problems with GameStop have nothing to do with the employees, and that's why I think it is a bit unfair to lump them all as incompetent, rude, lazy, ignorant, or whatever.

I agree, that's way I always say that if you are going to hate on a store, hate on its policies, services, deals and such and leave the employees alone. And even if your bad experience happened because of a bad employee its unfair to lump ALL of them in the same category. Many are just working for a living and the least they need is more whining customers.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 08:18:41 PM »

It's not uncalled for because it's true. Yes, there are some girls working at Gamestop that actually know what's up, but they're in the very small minority. Gamestop makes a regular practice of hiring girls as eye candy, with no consideration for their knowledge.

As for the turnaround time, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that the distribution is random after resurfacing, so in all likelihood, they just put the game you returned back on the shelf.

And yeah, the price change wasn't immediate, so I was wrong on that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:25:49 PM by Dirk Temporo »
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
It's not uncalled for because it's true.
Maybe so, but there are unoffensive ways to make such statements. Though given the circumstances I suspect your intent was to be disrespectful.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
Amanda at my local gamestop is smart, knowledgeable and is probably the best employee there. Well endowed she is not either. What I can tell you is that there are many of the male workers who are pretty clueless, in fact the BEST employees I've found at Gamestops have been women. It is disgusting when a woman is considered attractive she got the job only for that. Grow up, it is attitudes like that which limit the amount of female applicants to jobs that seem to walk over some people's manly hobby. I'll tell yah there are quite a few male employees scattered around in Gamestops that sure aren't knowledgeable, I wonder if they were hired for eye candy as well?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:54:21 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »
Amanda at my local gamestop is smart, knowledgeable and is probably the best employee there. Well endowed she is not either. What I can tell you is that there are many of the male workers who are pretty clueless, in fact the BEST employees I've found at Gamestops have been women. It is disgusting when a woman is considered attractive she got the job only for that. Grow up, it is attitudes like that which limit the amount of female applicants to jobs that seem to walk over some people's manly hobby. I'll tell yah there are quite a few male employees scattered around in Gamestops that sure aren't knowledgeable, I wonder if they were hired for eye candy as well?

Got to attract that 51% female DS user base, right?  ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 01:42:16 AM »
Good employees are nice, but I basically never walk in a gamestop without knowing what I want and intend to buy, or how much I'm willing to splurge. That way, they can make all the recomendations to me that they like, and I'm ready with a polite "no" and a clear detailed answer on what I want instead.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 02:34:07 AM »
Good employees are nice, but I basically never walk in a gamestop without knowing what I want and intend to buy, or how much I'm willing to splurge. That way, they can make all the recomendations to me that they like, and I'm ready with a polite "no" and a clear detailed answer on what I want instead.

That is pretty much how you should do it any time you are buying a more expensive product at a store.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 05:10:33 AM »
in fact the BEST employees I've found at Gamestops have been women

That begs of the question of what defines "best."

It is disgusting when a woman is considered attractive she got the job only for that.

No it isn't. BECAUSE IT'S TRUE. Just because you're ignorant and blind to the truth doesn't make it any less so. Hot chicks get hired at Gamestop to attract neckbeards. No, not all of them are hired for that reason. Are some of them? F**k yes they are.

Grow up, it is attitudes like that which limit the amount of female applicants to jobs that seem to walk over some people's manly hobby.

No, what limits the amount of female applicants to Gamestop is the fact that MOST WOMEN DON'T CARE IN THE SLIGHTEST ABOUT VIDEO GAMES. Do you know the M:F ratio in an average day at Gamestop? It's EASILY 10:1, and that's counting the girls who come in because they were dragged by their boyfriends.

And GP, I know you can't stand me and think I'm some woman-hating pig or some such, but honestly I'm not. In general I'm a pretty nice guy. I just get wound up easily, and tend towards brutal honesty, especially on the Internet. (yeah yeah epenis or whatever the kids are saying these days) But I expect the same could be said of you (not a bad thing). Honestly I hope you don't harbor any real feelings of disdain for me, but if you do, that's your perogative.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:29:46 AM by Dirk Temporo »
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2009, 05:28:43 AM »
in fact the BEST employees I've found at Gamestops have been women

That's because you're an obnoxious feminist and can't resist any opportunity to say "HEY I'M A GIRL AND I PLAY GAMES"

It is disgusting when a woman is considered attractive she got the job only for that.

No it isn't. BECAUSE IT'S TRUE. Just because you're ignorant and blind to the truth doesn't make it any less so. Hot chicks get hired at Gamestop to attract neckbeards. No, not all of them are hired for that reason. Are some of them? F**k yes they are.

Grow up, it is attitudes like that which limit the amount of female applicants to jobs that seem to walk over some people's manly hobby.

No, what limits the amount of female applicants to Gamestop is the fact that MOST WOMEN DON'T CARE IN THE SLIGHTEST ABOUT VIDEO GAMES. Do you know the M:F ratio in an average day at Gamestop? It's EASILY 10:1, and that's counting the girls who come in because they were dragged by their boyfriends.

Point A) Actually it tends to be other people who have mentioned that she is a girl, not her.

Point B) Just because something may have some truth to it doesn't mean it is not disgusting or wrong.

Point C) 51% of the DS user base would be proving your statement wrong. I would be willing to bet you don't see a lot of girls in GameStop of their own free will is because they don't like being harassed by guys who get all excited by seeing a member of the opposite sex remotely close to their taste in hobby.

They are human too and should be treated as such.
My Game Collection

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 05:38:13 AM »
At the risk of starting another sh*tstorm, I would like to point out that her MySpace address is "sophiagirlgamer"

Also, my mom owns a DS and I can safely say that she doesn't care about video games. Owning a video game system doesn't mean that you care about video games, ESPECIALLY if it's a Wii or a DS, both of which were built from the ground up to target (drum roll please)

PEOPLE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 05:56:58 AM »
I wouldn't say they don't care about videogames. They just don't care about them in the same way you or I care. They have different tastes. Try telling my mom not to play Pop Cap games. She's hooked on them. Try telling my friends parents and sister that they don't like games. They love Mario & Sonic @ the Olympics to death and still play it over a year later all the chances they get and they got excited when they heard that the Winter Games sequel is coming out. Those aren't poeple who don't care about games, they just don't obsess over them the same way you and I do.
My Game Collection

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »
I think the points here are getting a little skewed. Whether or not women care about video games is irrelevant to the point Dirk is trying to make. The fact of the matter is that the majority of shoppers at Gamestop are male, regardless of whether or not this is fully indicative of the market as a whole. As such, some stores hire some women with certain traits to possibly coax a purchase out of their more typical consumers.

I don't see why this is such a stretch. Does anyone cry foul at E3 when they have booth babes hanging all over the predominantly male gaming media in order to garner their interest in any given game? How about girls at car shows? Car interest tends to be male dominated, so they hire attractive women to sell the product.

Now do any of you honestly think that most of the girls at these shows actually know anything about what they are helping present? So again, why is it a stretch that a video game store would do something similar to help attract business to their store. Of course no one is making the point that every girl at every Gamestop is hired for this reason, but simple logic dictates what Dirk is claiming. While I think he could've expressed his opinion more eloquently I do feel that there is some truth behind his statement.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 03:14:44 PM »
I guess I'm lucky that the only issues with GS here are their pricing and their treatment of the goods, the employees are fairly normal.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »
I'm not denying that there are female employees who were hired simply because they're female, though I highly doubt the percentage which Dirk Temporo mentioned is true. My point was, there are less offensive ways to make such statements and I find it hard to take anything of the such seriously. Of course, Dirk Temporo has made it clear that he has no intention of being respectful, so I'm just wasting my time. Besides, I should have known to ignore his statement as 99% of all men are insensitive jerks.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »
What Mr. Jack said.
And yes, cut down on the sexism guys.
Who are you referring to?
Point A) Actually it tends to be other people who have mentioned that she is a girl, not her.
She is? What in the world? Alert the presses.

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 01:32:22 AM »
I find this thread shocking!  Particularly:

They love Mario & Sonic @ the Olympics to death and still play it over a year later all the chances they get and they got excited when they heard that the Winter Games sequel is coming out.

Nobuddy likes Mario & Olympic Sonic At Games!  Fact! 
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 01:37:20 AM »
I find this thread shocking!  Particularly:

They love Mario & Sonic @ the Olympics to death and still play it over a year later all the chances they get and they got excited when they heard that the Winter Games sequel is coming out.

Nobuddy likes Mario & Olympic Sonic At Games!  Fact!

Seven million people say otherwise.
My Game Collection

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »
99% of all men are insensitive jerks.

Hell yes they are. I am of the opinion that 99% of the population in general just sucks. Whether or not that number includes me, I couldn't say, but I like to think not. Despite being extremely blunt (people get offended too easily. Nothing offends me so I just roll with it), I do my best to help people and generally be a decent human being. I hold doors for everyone, stop every time I see someone broken down on the side of the road, and really just try to love my fellow humans.
-Travis Touchdown