Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Review Revisit  (Read 2331 times)

Offline AdmanAbou

• Glittery Cowboy Pooh Bear
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Review Revisit
« on: June 25, 2016, 07:00:19 AM »

How does the HD release of Twilight Princess hold up to the rest of NWR's staff?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/42930/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-review-revisit

The second Zelda HD re-release to arrive on the Wii U, Twilight Princess was met with pretty warm responses upon it's release in April of this year. But then again, it's always gotten positive reviews - Jonathan Metts back in 2006 gave Twilight Princess a perfect score. This time around, site director Neal Ronaghan reviewed the HD re-release, citing that while it doesn't do too much to make the game better, it does "offer the definitive version of a 10-year-old game and in the process, makes it control and look like a modern game". Two staff members, Matt West and Adam Abou-Nasr along with two other contributors are here to give their take on the game. Does it match with Neal's review, or are there some new takes on what is considered a classic title?

Adam Abou-Nasr, Associate Editor: When Twilight Princess first came out, I had never beaten a 3D Zelda. I had certainly played every Zelda game before, but I was too young and scared to have faced Ganon in so many dimensions. I mostly played Zelda games to escape into a fantasy world. I liked the colors and the music, cutting grass, playing mini-games, and messing with the animals. Twilight Princess lost me fast. My family always called it “The Legend of Zelda: Toilet Paper.” The “long tutorial” people so often complain about extends into the first three dungeons; Link explores an empty world that feels familiar and uninspired. There’s an abandoned cowboy town with a handful of children. Hyrule Field is confusing. Everything’s dull and dark and boring.After getting the Master Sword and rocketing through the air and into the desert, I took a second to look around. Link, in a deep-green tunic, holding a Hylian shield and Master Sword, looked like Link. I started to appreciate the intricate design of Hyrule field. The music grew familiar. I found the mini-games! The next three dungeons were some of the best in the series, each introducing a fun new item to the franchise. It’s hard to be down on the opening I held grudges against for so long after playing through the delightful middle third. I’ve all but forgotten the tedious “Tears of Light” missions. The next two dungeons are just okay, with one being way too long and the other being way too short.

Matt West, Associate Editor: Having only ever played the Wii version of Twilight Princess, bad waggle controls and all, my prior relationship with this game was a complicated one. While I’m of the opinion that every 3D Zelda game is an absolute masterpiece, and the pinnacle of video gaming experiences, Twilight Princess would always rank dead last whenever I made a list of them. It’s not that I didn’t love the game when it launched alongside the Wii in 2006; it’s just that it felt like a step back to me after the greatness of Wind Waker. For one, the waggle controls didn’t help, and the game also tried to adopt a darker, muddier art style that just didn’t look good even when it was new a decade ago. As someone who loves the cel shading in Wind Waker, and the impressionist inspiration in Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess has always lacked imagination in its visuals, in my opinion. All this coupled with the fact that Twilight Princess might have the longest, least interesting tutorial section in any Zelda game, and I rarely felt as if I needed to replay this game.

That said, the Wii U version does away with a LOT of my complaints about the original game. The visuals, while still not as pretty and full of life as Wind Waker or Skyward Sword, pop more thanks to the improvements made in the jump to HD. The waggle controls are gone, but the good motion controls in the bow aiming sections remain. The map and inventory screens have been moved down to the GamePad for a more convenient experience, and now you only have to catch one fish for the cat in Ordon Village instead of two! Some of my grievances with Twilight Princess remain, however. The world is still barren, and often feels lifeless when you’re travelling from place to place. The pacing of the story and gameplay has always felt a little bit off, and still does here. But the negatives far outweigh the positives; Midna is the greatest sidekick in the series, the double clawshot still feels great to use, the gameplay is still fantastic, and the dungeons… The dungeons in Twilight Princess might be some of the best in the entire series. The game is worth playing through just to experience them by themselves.

Austin Learned, Contributor: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess introduced a new mechanic which allowed Link to take on the form of a wolf, a trait the game itself shares. Twilight Princess is a unique game, in that a version exists on three different systems, each with a very different interface. Years ago, when the Wii was in its infancy, I couldn't wait until I owned the new system to play the new game so I played the first version on the Gamecube. It was straightforward and comfortable to play, and felt like a fitting next step from Ocarina of Time. I wouldn't play the game again for years, but when I did, it was a whole new experience on the Wii. A completely different controller was just the start, Link's swordhand and the entire world map were flipped, the new control scheme combined with an odd sense of deja vu were enough to create a new experience with a fun, occasionally frustrating, challenge. Even more years have gone by, and I haven't played the game again. Yet, another version of Twilight Princess exists on the Wii U, and I happen to own that system. I think it's time to give that game another play, and with another new controller that is still similar to the most comfortable version in the Gamecube, it might combine to be a fun, nostalgic experience, with a bit less of the frustrating challenge thrown in.

Daniel Claro, Contributor: Twilight Princess was the first Zelda game I’ve played since Ocarina of Time. It’s been a while as my Nintendo days have been limited since Nintendo 64. The game starts off in similar fashion, at least from what I remember with Link being the main character. I personally never understood why they called it Zelda as it always centers around Link, but that’s just me.

The thing that really sets this game apart from previous titles is the ability for link to transform into a wolf and have a whole different set of abilities. In the beginning these abilities are used for certain areas whereas Link’s human abilities are used for others. Later on in the game you can switch between human and wolf forms on a whim which grants you essentially the best of both worlds. Some temples/dungeons, hidden areas, and “side quests” are even dependent on both abilities working in tandem. All the events start as the twilight begin to invade and corrupt the spirts of Hyrule. This leads to Link having to restore the spirits to their original form by completing a series of temples dedicated to each of the four spirits. Then the main goal becomes restoring the shards of the Mirror of Twilight to allow them to get to the twilight realm. After that is completed the objective becomes finding the remaining pieces of the fused shadow which you’ve already started to accumulate. Zant winds up holding the final piece. With the Fused Shadow in tow Midna now has the power to break the seal on Hyrule Castle and confront the puppeteer behind it all.

Throughout most of the game the villain behind everything is Zant, who originally was next in line to rule twilight realm. Instead Midna became the ruler of the twilight realm for obvious reasons. In the end though the main baddie is Ganondorf which granted Zant his powers until he became strong enough to escape the twilight realm. The final battle between Ganondorf has multiple phases in which you not only fight a possessed Zelda but fight with her in another phase. All in all as it felt very similar to Ocarina of Time for me I thought it was a very fun game that had me coming back and playing for hours continuously but mostly for the story than anything. The convenience of the WII gamepad helped big time with inventory and equipment management. There are many fun side quests as well but unfortunately the additional items, armor, extra hearts, etc. don’t come in very handy in the end which doesn’t provide a sense of accomplishment for all the time spent acquiring them. I felt the game was fun but too simple. Once you learned a boss’s strategy they were generally extremely easy to beat. Some of the Dungeons though did prove a little challenging at times especially when you are unaware of a new game mechanic.

@Advntrbuddy01

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Review Revisit
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »
I will just say that Twilight Princess is vastly superior to the crap known as Majora's Mask (which is easily the worst 3D Zelda). Twilight Princess is still a great game.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »
I will just say that Twilight Princess is vastly superior to the crap known as Skyward Sword (which is easily the worst 3D Zelda). Twilight Princess is the best 3d Zelda of them all.
Fixed that for you.

Seriously though, let me show you what makes Twilight Princess absolutely brilliant in one screen shot.

When you first return to the village as Wolf Link there's a guy who tries to fend you off with a falcon. Once I dealt with that I decided to see what happens if I tried to summon the falcon myself and then bird literally swoops down and apologizes for attacking you.

They could have easily gotten away with not bothering to include that but they went the extra mile to wedge that in there anyway.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 09:03:57 AM »
Despite not finishing Paper Mario, I started Twilight Princess last night. It took me a little over two and a half hours to get to the first dungeon. That was painful. If I remember correctly, the best part of the game is right after the first dungeon to right before Snowpeak Ruins. I forgot how dour the game is. Despite Midna's general levity, everything is so excessively gloomy. Nintendo did a complete about face from The Wind Waker. "Oh, you thought the last game was too colorful. Check out how dark and gritty we can be."

I don't remember Epona and Wolf Link being so unwieldy. The controls just feel so weird. Based on these early impressions, I think I'll always like but not love Twilight Princess. It reminds me of why I wanted the series to go in a different direction and why I welcome Breath of the Wild. Twilight Princess stalls a lot in the beginning; there's so much waiting. It doesn't trust players with even basic game mechanics. If anything, I think that's its greatest sin. Yes, even more than its insistence to latch onto series tropes such as keeping Ganondorf (or a Ganondorf-like character the main villain) even when the game would be fine or even work better without ramming him in players' faces. A Twilight possessed Zelda could have easily been the final boss. The last true Zelda game was A Link Between Worlds, and it did the same exact thing in addition to shitting all over series lore (why you don't just use the Lorule equivalent of the Master Sword is beyond me). Hilda could and should have been the final boss thematically and narratively. A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game otherwise.

What's encouraging about Breath of the Wild so far is that it seems to be taking the best part of A Link Between Worlds and trying the fulfill the promise of the original Legend of Zelda. You're given complete freedom to explore even at your own peril. Stray too far into an area you're not ready to be in, and the game gets harder rather than artificially preventing you from going there. Sure, the main villain is this "Calamity Ganon." However, I'm hoping that he's defeated mid-way through the game. What better way to throw long-time series fans for a loop than to say "Ganon is the villain. Just kidding, now you really don't know what's going to happen. Good luck."

But I digress. To me, Twilight Princess tried too hard to be Ocarina of Time when what I wanted was for it to be more like The Wind Waker which at least had the illusion of freedom. It also was lighthearted yet serious when it had to be. Twilight Princess has been a Debbie Downer from the beginning. I just want to give it a hug. From what little I saw of Breath of the Wild, there's a sadness to the world but that sadness doesn't permeate the tone of the world if that makes sense. The world seems like it's in ruins. The game doesn't dwell on the fact; it encourages you to find out why. Twilight Princess didn't get that. It feels like the moody, emo teenager of the series.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 09:46:03 PM »
I think TP HD is easily the second best Zelda after Wind Waker HD. It feels like a real sequel to OoT and I think TP is better in almost every way. It has a bigger world, improved combat and more interesting items.