Author Topic: Episode 250: Five Long Years  (Read 13456 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 250: Five Long Years
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »

Brace yourself for the RFN meteorite about to land on your face.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/27155

Are you ready for some podcast? All our rowdy friends are coming over to help us celebrate five years and 250 episodes of this little show. But first, we've got a relatively brief New Business in which Greg evokes one of our earliest jokes, Jon parses one of them Bomberman downloads, James mounts and blades with Mount & Blade, and Jonny gets magical for the first time in a while.

After the first break, we return with TYP in tow for a sweet trip down memory lane. This is where you'll hear numerous behinds-the-scenes tales, production secrets, and favorite episodes from the RFN crew and our most frequent guest. We had a blast reliving old times, and fans of the show will hopefully take just as much delight in this retrospective.

Finally, we've got the complete 2.5 hour recording of the live call-in event, sandwiched right into this already beefy episode. Dozens of fans showed up to congratulate and ask us questions, and we had just as much fun as during last year's Child's Play telethon. You'll even hear from a few NWR callers, some old and some brand new!

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 250: Five Long Years
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
4 and Half Hours !!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D

WOW.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
In it for the long haul. Thanks for the show!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »
I know at least 2 hours I can skip.  A re-listen couldn't go with the epic chat.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
I know at least 2 hours I can skip.  A re-listen couldn't go with the epic chat.

The chat was that good? I'm Jealous. I completely forgot about the podcast.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this! Good job!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:26:04 PM »
My iPod is ready.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
Between this and the 5.5 hour episode of Hardcore History I just downloaded, I've got a lot of listening material for jogging and chores. :)
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »
I wasn't going to say anything about the t-shirt the site owes me, as I thought it might get awkward. I suppose I have even more reason to want to wear it now than I did then.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
For anyone wondering, that song in the middle is "Five Long Years", best known as an Eric Clapton cover in the 90s, although the original is much older. That's definitely me singing, but I think the harmonica you hear is another player. It was recorded a few years ago, so my memory is spotty, but I recall there being a quite large ensemble on stage that evening, including an electric violinist named Lionel Young (he is AWESOME) and a second harmonica player in addition to myself. I did play on that song, but my solo was much earlier in the 13-minute track.

The second song you'll hear, near the end of the episode, is Ty Shughart's "More and More" from his days as King of the PGC forums.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 11:37:23 PM »
Wow, I'm glad my audio turned out well for my call-in. That was a spur of the moment set-up, but I think it went well.

Happy 5th Birthday Guys! You are by far my favorite podcast of them all.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 12:05:37 AM »
Great job, fellas. You're a quarter-way to Episode 1000.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:03 AM »
Coincidentally, yesterday marked 30 years of Donkey Kong.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:10 AM »
Best Nintendo videogame podcast out there, bar none.

Long live RFN!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Tybo68

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 12:56:03 AM »
I wasn't back in town to be on the call-in show I but can more than appreciate the super podcast. Have listened every episode for years. Here's to hopefully talking about Episode 500 in five years when you will be discussing what I think Nintendo's final step to Wii brand will be:

Wii U and I (that should at least be their online service name)
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 02:48:04 AM »
Very cool to hear your behind-the-scenes stories. The March of the Muscles reconstruction was especially funny - evidently, Greg must have done a good job, because I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when listening to that segment (well, apart from the weirdness of the game in question).

Not very cool to hear my own voice. That was upsetting. I'm dismayed that I still sound like a British paperboy from the 19th century.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 03:12:51 AM »
Happy Birthday, guys! I'm at the episode name part. I'll never forget, my first episode was Tito, Use the Dagger! I'm also proud to have requested the DK Rap in the live show.

Offline Goldmund

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »
Thank you for countless hours of information, insight, dispute, hilarity and rage.

Offline tyrian3

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
This is the best podcast in the world, and I'm 2 for 2 as appearances on live shows!
the streak shall continue!  ;D

also, I finally managed to do the mario voice on air, even if I was super-excited and it didn't come out too good. Hope it was funny anyway :)

Still thanks to James, Karlie and TYP for helping me overcome the tech difficulties! Also, I'm glad Jonny remembered me being the first call-in on the previous live episode!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:17:09 AM by tyrian3 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
Very cool to hear your behind-the-scenes stories. The March of the Muscles reconstruction was especially funny - evidently, Greg must have done a good job, because I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when listening to that segment (well, apart from the weirdness of the game in question).

Not very cool to hear my own voice. That was upsetting. I'm dismayed that I still sound like a British paperboy from the 19th century.
You do.  I will know call you Luke.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
I had to re-record my audio for a podcast I did at PixlBit with Gaijin Games' Alex Neuse. That was a bitch to do.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
I have Comments and lots of linking but I'm holding that for a while.

Offline Tybo68

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
Just listening to the podcast, I second a Majora's Mask RetroActive, I think it would be easier for people who are intrigued by the game to get into it without getting confused and quitting. It took a long time for me to play, but I'm so glad I played it.
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »

I didn't think that, but I can tell you its never cool to hear your own voice. It is physically painful for me to listen to myself. There is always something you wanted to say "better" or "differently." Some phrase your stumbled over or some inflection that sounds pained.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »
I didn't think that, but I can tell you its never cool to hear your own voice. It is physically painful for me to listen to myself. There is always something you wanted to say "better" or "differently." Some phrase your stumbled over or some inflection that sounds pained.
Or in my case I sound like a girl to the outside but a reasonably Manly Man to myself...  What is all this hair good for if I'm only heard...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 10:56:22 PM »
Just listening to the podcast, I second a Majora's Mask RetroActive, I think it would be easier for people who are intrigued by the game to get into it without getting confused and quitting. It took a long time for me to play, but I'm so glad I played it.
Yeah...I started it way back when, but I think the timing was wrong for me, I guess.  I was initially turned off by the time limit and just moved on to other things...PS2 launch games (even though most of them not worth the effort) and FF IX, which was also released in 2000.  I think I only progressed to the second temple; people speak so highly of the game now that I regret never getting around to giving it a second chance. 

I plan to get around to it, anyway, but thought I'd request it since suggestions were being solicited.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:00:41 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost