Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 141  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 141
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
Enjoy a rare three-man podcast as we polish off Secret of Mana.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=18169

Episode 141: Lindy Won't Fit!    

Download in AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

Download in MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)    

Jon is out of town this week, but the rest of us soldier on without him for a slightly shorter episode.  Greg has started Final Fantasy IV and has impressions of Space Invaders Extreme 2, plus news on the fate of Fatal Frame 4.  James has decidedly Old Business -- he bought a Virtual Boy!  Jonny is enjoying the new Prince of Persia, but he has some issues with courtship and marriage in Dragon Quest V.    

The latter half of the show begins with the conclusion of our Secret of Mana discussion.  We got a bit farther in the game, tried out the multiplayer, and talk more about the game's influences, including the obscure and wonderful Crystalis for NES. Your forum comments center on the multiplayer feature, and it brings up an interesting subject: does it work in spite of, or because of, the grinding aspects?    

Finally, we read a few of your emails and get into topics like high-speed SD cards, British game characters, and Virtual Console discounts.  Jon will return next week as we pay tribute to Super Metroid on its 15th anniversary!    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!  

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 141
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
I'm excited for this one more so than others for some strange reason. It's been a long weekend for me.

D/Ling now.

I did listen to 103 again for fun and I have decided that it is my favorite episode ever  :D
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »
You made Vertical Force sound good. Makes me want to try and find a Virtual Boy. The only experience I have with one is playing a demo system at a KB Toys way back in 1995 when I was 9 years old.

There were other LED colors available at the time. Yokoi selected red because it was the cheapest at the time to use. He originally wanted it to be full color but realized it would be way too expensive.

I knew that the games came with a recommendation to stop after 15 minutes or so, but I never knew they had a option to have the game automatically pause for you.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
You made Vertical Force sound good. Makes me want to try and find a Virtual Boy. The only experience I have with one is playing a demo system at a KB Toys way back in 1995 when I was 9 years old.

There were other LED colors available at the time. Yokoi selected red because it was the cheapest at the time to use. He originally wanted it to be full color but realized it would be way too expensive.

I knew that the games came with a recommendation to stop after 15 minutes or so, but I never knew they had a option to have the game automatically pause for you.

Think of it being similar to the 'take a break' screens in Wii Sports except a lot more frequent.

I got a VB for $24 plus a good number of games for $5 a pop during it's market downfall.
There are enough people on the forums that it would be neat to have an episode of RetroActive where we all played the VB plus whatever games we can get our hands on.

Here is a great site that chronicles anything and everything involving the VB and has a lot of information on the abandoned VB demos and projects like Star Fox, Goldeneye 007, Mario Land and Donkey Kong Country 2. Bet y'all didn't know some of those games were in development!
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:35:50 AM »
Good to hear Jonny fixed the SD card issue. Who wants to write Crimm a fan letter?

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Who wants to write Crimm a fan letter?

I'm terrified.  I knew saying that was a tragic decision the minute after I said it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
Yeah for some VB love. I played mine a year or so back and the graphics still hold up really well when it comes to the 3D effects.

BTW Mr. Wormhead seems to be a sleepy head during the podcast.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:07:38 PM »
James is driven by passion.  He really hits his stride when discussing Ace Combat, Pokemon Mystery Anything, Ubisoft, or Sony.  Otherwise you'll poke the bear and get mixed reactions, depending on whether he's hibernating or not.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
I played the heck out of my Virtual Boy.  I think I got it for $15 when a local store was trying to get the things off of their shelves.  The employees even warned me that the system was dead.  But I knew what I was buying.  Now I have a decent number of games.  I played Wario, Red Alarm, Tennis, Galactic Pinball and 3d Tetris to death.  I also picked up the AC adapter so I could lose the huge battery pack.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:59:56 AM »
I think James should just start up a second podcast, one where each episode is about 3 minutes long, and James just rants without breathing straight through.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 01:53:57 AM »
I liked the in depth discussion about the Virtual Boy. I've never been able to try one, and it always gets mocked whenever it's brought up. It's nice to hear that there's some good games with unique ideas on it.

Also enjoyed the Secret of Mana discussion. I have it on my wii, but I'm not that far into it and couldn't join the discussion. I'd love to play it one day with my friends.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 02:10:55 AM »
James is driven by passion.  He really hits his stride when discussing Ace Combat, Pokemon Mystery Anything, Ubisoft, or Sony.  Otherwise you'll poke the bear and get mixed reactions, depending on whether he's hibernating or not.

I just need to take up drinking before we record from now on.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Tybo68

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 04:41:58 AM »
That's a good idea. I want to see you guys actually have another episode like 103. That WAS and still IS the best podcast I have ever listened to.
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 06:46:21 PM »

I just need to take up drinking before we record from now on.

Isn't that what IGN does half the time on Game Scoop? Sometimes they go a bit overboard but they are funny to laugh at.

That's a good idea. I want to see you guys actually have another episode like 103. That WAS and still IS the best podcast I have ever listened to.

QFT I'm keeping it permanently on my iPod.
Let Crimm "host" another 'cast sometime. Or we could give him his own show  :D

Didn't you guys say that there was an attempted forum member podcast that failed to materialize. I've been dabbling in podcastery and am interested in helping start that if it has stalled.
My Game Collection

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 01:56:01 AM »

That really was traumatic to record.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Tybo68

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 04:11:16 AM »

That really was traumatic to record.
I'm guessing the editing process was just as traumatic?
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »
I might not have edited that one.  Maybe I did, but I don't remember doing it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:16:41 PM »
I might not have edited that one.  Maybe I did, but I don't remember doing it.

He's feigning a memory lapse. I think he did edit it!
My Game Collection