Author Topic: Dragon Quest V  (Read 10007 times)

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest V
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:55:10 AM »
I'm looking to pick this up next month. I skipped DQ IV, so that I wouldn't want to try V when it came out. Has anyone else picked it up yet?
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Dragon Quest V
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:29:50 AM »
I haven't picked this up yet but I was reading My Febuary NP. The RPG special issue.I haven't played any DQ games.So I might pick this up.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:44:10 AM »
I haven't picked this up yet but I was reading My Febuary NP. The RPG special issue.I haven't played any DQ games.So I might pick this up.

I am the same as you Maxi, I have NEVER played a DQ game but I am really tempted to get IV or V.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 04:36:03 AM »
I don't know if you have a subscription to NP Golden but issue 230 has a interview with Yuji Horii.The cover is Castlevania:Order of Ecclesia.He talks about DQ4-DQ6.He states that DQ 5 is his favorite in the series.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:59:48 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »
IV is really good, but V is better from everything I've read.  I'll pick it up when Amazon has a Gold Box price drop to $20 (as they did with both FF IV and DQ IV).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
I'll be getting it shortly.  Didn't want to start it while I'm still enjoying Retro Game Challenge so much.  I'll probably pick up DQV and Puzzle Quest: Galactrix together.  So many DS games...
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »
I'm still playing DQ IV and I'm not sure how far along I am, but as soon as I finish it I will get on to V. I can't wait, I'm really into Dragon Quest IV- it's stolen most if not all my game time!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »
I would have to highly recommend both.  I recently finished IV so I picked up V as soon as possible.  You do not need to have played 4 to understand anything about 5 although there are a few references in names and things (Psarologist). 

The biggest difference gameplay wise is that in V you can sometimes recruit monsters that you defeat and they join your party and level up with you.  It is really cool to get all the monster special abilities as options for you to use.  Right now my party has a slime, a powie wowie (yeti) besides my characters as well as others I don't use. 

If you don't want to go out of your way you will simply recruit monsters naturally when you defeat them but if you like to have everything or get the best you can try and get more or all of them.  I don't go out of my way for monsters and I still have a lot though.  I haven't gotten very far but it is great right now.

Offline Tybo68

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 02:20:02 AM »
This is the first DQ game for me and I'm impressed so far. The music is wonderful. I'm not very far in but if I like the rest of the game I'll probably buy IX when it comes out.
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline SirSniffy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
Just got this yesterday, and so far I am impressed. I still wonder if I should have bought DQIV first though. I think the script is fantastic thus far. The enemy animation is amazing on the DS, it even rivals the original PS2 incarnation to a degree.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 02:27:30 PM »
Like DQ:IV, and FF:IV I will be waiting until I can find it for 20. The last 40 dollar square game I bought was FF:III even though I did enjoy it, it was not worth 40 and no DS games should cost more than 35.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 11:56:15 PM »
I'll keep an eye out on a deal for V.  If I remember correctly, I got DQ IV for $20 off of Amazon.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 12:22:10 AM »
I'll keep an eye out on a deal for V.  If I remember correctly, I got DQ IV for $20 off of Amazon.

That's what I did, also I got FF:IV for 20 off of Overstock.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »
I just picked this up for my birthday a half hour ago. I've opened it, but have yet to try it. I'm very excited to try it out, though. I just keep hearing great things about it.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
Well first of all Happy Birthday!
I can't wait to hear from you about the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 11:46:46 PM »
It has been so long since I played a new RPG, I probably should grind a bit more in DQV because I keep getting my behind kicked in the haunted castle place.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 01:48:27 AM »
Well first of all Happy Birthday!
I can't wait to hear from you about the game.

Thanks! So far I've only made it to the first town. I really like it so far, though. I can't wait until I get into the real meat of the game.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
Woohoo beat the first boss. So far I'm enjoying the game quite a bit even if it does have random battles.

Offline SirSniffy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »
I just beat the first boss too! This game is such a pleasure to play. And there are no motorcycles, trains, spike haired German emo bitch boys, silver doo dads, hoodies, sneakers, or zippers to be found. This is just what I needed to help revitalize my love of classic RPGS.

How much do you guys <3 Bianca?
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
For those who have played this game a lot: who did you choose to marry?  Was anyone else a little put off by how this part was handled?  Suddenly three girls line up and wait for you to propose to one of them.  You barely know two of them, and the other hasn't had any kind of romantic discourse with you prior to that point.

I chose Nera because she seemed nice.  Bianca was getting on my nerves with her country girl attitude and annoying accent, and Deborah is just scary (though she would probably be a good fighter).  Maybe this says something about my taste in women...  Anyhow, I'm interested to hear what you all thought of it and what your experience was like afterwards.  My (game) wife is currently pregnant and out of the party.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline SirSniffy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »
For those who have played this game a lot: who did you choose to marry?  Was anyone else a little put off by how this part was handled?
Well, I have made 3 save datas so I can try them all. I actually prefer Nera...she looks the best, and she is a decent mage. Bianca is balanced fighting and some magic, Deborah is mostly a fighter character.

I think it was handled okay. Bianca is your childhood sweetie, and Nera is the bride you won for being a hero. It's pretty common that a champion of a kingdom be offered the hand of the princess of that kingdom. And Deborah suddenly wanting to marry you was probably due to her idea that she has a right to everything...even what Nera has.  I have JUST done this part, so you are farther than I am...but I love this game so much!

Nera looks the best out of all three of them actually. She looks better in the party as well.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »
For those who have played this game a lot: who did you choose to marry?  Was anyone else a little put off by how this part was handled?  Suddenly three girls line up and wait for you to propose to one of them.  You barely know two of them, and the other hasn't had any kind of romantic discourse with you prior to that point.

I chose Nera because she seemed nice.  Bianca was getting on my nerves with her country girl attitude and annoying accent, and Deborah is just scary (though she would probably be a good fighter).  Maybe this says something about my taste in women...  Anyhow, I'm interested to hear what you all thought of it and what your experience was like afterwards.  My (game) wife is currently pregnant and out of the party.

Jonny fears strong women.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 02:15:04 AM »
I don't think any of them could be considered strong of character, given the way they submit to your decision.  Bianca seemed too much like a sister; otherwise, she seems to be the one most strongly recommended by the game, considering you spend much more time with her than the other ladies.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 05:27:06 AM »
Considering this game is a version of a game first made on the SNES, Players didn't really put much stock into the romantic subplots as they do these days, Jonny.  But in all honesty DQ IV was the game with the more developed characters, each with their own chapter and "thing" to do (which served as a sort of RPG Challenge.  What if you only had a fighter like Ragnar?  Only a Mage and a Healer?  Survive Taloon's Chapter as he randomly does weird stuff?).

What amazes me about both of these games, particularly DQIV, is the depth that they enjoyed on consoles as basic as the NES.  A lot of the things we think are modern conveniences and innovations of the RPG genre, were actually old hat and been there, done that on the NES.  Even grim tones, like the hero/heroine's chapter in DQIV (Yikes.  And we thought modern games could get dark and depressing)

I played my brother's copies of these games on a lark and found myself mysteriously enjoying an old-school RPG, despite my hatred of grinding (which rears it's ugly head in the late stages of both games, sorry to say.)  And maybe it does have something to do with the fact that the characters are a little more simply portrayed than today's brooding, gravitas-laden, store-bought tragic heroes.  And that's thanks to the Toriyama art that always makes things simple for the viewer (which is not to say bad.  there's a reason Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are the most popular Japanese Cartoons this side of Pokemon.)

As far as the female characters... eh... that goes back to the medieval thing of courtship (which is why the father gives you a dowry, as a "payment" for taking on the responsibilities of a wife, and consequently a burden of another mouth to feed, should that be one of your concerns and one of the "ways you see it.")  It is kind of sudden, but then again, so is most romance in fiction, and watching relationships develop on screen is tiring enough sometimes, but "playing them?"  And besides, the world is about to be destroyed, or something.  Time's a-wasting!

As a final note: does this Toriyama guy like Playboy Bunny costumes or something?  They are all over these games.  Which is not to say I mind (grr-r-r-rowl), btu their frequency is more than a little disturbing.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 12:44:32 PM »
As a final note: does this Toriyama guy like Playboy Bunny costumes or something?  They are all over these games.  Which is not to say I mind (grr-r-r-rowl), btu their frequency is more than a little disturbing.

I'd say he does, but I think all Japanese artists do.  Those bunny costumes show up in just about everything.