Author Topic: DSi XL Unboxing  (Read 17969 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
DSi XL Unboxing
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=22787

We were lucky enough to receive our DSi XL for review from Nintendo today. You know what that means! Time for another unboxing.  I'll even throw in some comparison images for good measure.  The first thing you'll notice about the box is that it is, in fact, extra large.  It also comes with three pre-installed DSiWare titles; Brain Age Express: Math, Brain Age Express: Arts and Letters, and Photo Clock.    

The first thing you see when you open it up is the extra large packet of documentation.  Inside is a quick start guide, thick operations manual, club nintendo information, etc.  After removing the first layer of cardboard, the XL, power adapters, and jumbo stylus are revealed.    

This is my first time laying eyes on this thing and I have to say, "Damn, it is huge."    

Here we go. It's time for the entire DS lineup, one after the other.  Look how it's evolved!    

Well there you have it.  It's one big DSi.  This one is going to head out to James.  Look for his review on the site.  I'm sure he'll also discuss it during an upcoming new business segment on RFN!  I'll leave you all with one last epic comparison image.    

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: DSi Unboxing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
The pixels are huge. They hurt my eyes. :-/

On the plus side, my DSi pixels will actually seem small for a couple hours.

Seriously though, I'm not really a fan, though I did appreciate the additional space for using the stylus in Brain Training.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:08:02 PM »
The only reason I might want a DSi XL over a different DS is because its larger size might make it more comfortable. Though in those shots, it actually looks like the original DS may be the most comfortable due to its thickness. Speaking of, what did you do to that poor original DS? It's filthy!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »
It doesn't look like it's that much bigger than the original DS based on those photos.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
thats pretty sweet, i am thinking that i may want one. or maybe wait for ds2 in a few months, maybe 6-8 or a year?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »
Why is someone who doesn't have much--if any--experience with a DSi reviewing the DSi XL?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »
Why is someone who doesn't have much--if any--experience with a DSi reviewing the DSi XL?

Because why would someone need two DSis?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »

If I had two of them, I could do two picross puzzles at the same time! I need another DSi and another copy of Picross!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
To trade all their DPPt Pokemon to HGSS, duh!

This is my first time laying eyes on this thing and I have to say, "Damn, it is huge."
That's what she said.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
I didn't say that person had to keep the system--ship it off to Mr. Jones when you're finished.

I already own a DSi.  While I don't plan to purchase an XL, I'd like to hear from someone in my position why I might want to reconsider.  I believe James still uses his DS Hevy--of course the XL is going to be a huge improvement.  If he were making a more incremental step--from the DSi or even the Lite--his opinion of the system would certainly be affected.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
Well, that makes his opinion unique, since most journalists probably are going from the DSi to the DSi XL.

Plus, Pale has a DSi, and you got his lovely (but brief) opinion on it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »
I didn't say that person had to keep the system--ship it off to Mr. Jones when you're finished.

I already own a DSi.  While I don't plan to purchase an XL, I'd like to hear from someone in my position why I might want to reconsider.  I believe James still uses his DS Hevy--of course the XL is going to be a huge improvement.  If he were making a more incremental step--from the DSi or even the Lite--his opinion of the system would certainly be affected.

What exactly is there to know that you can't assess from a picture? If you already own a DSi, I would think that you are already familiar with all of the features of an XL outside of size. With size being the defining feature, it seems logical that just about any review of this device would mention it and ergo give all the insight that a DSi owner would nee. Plus, I think the bulk of the upgrades are going to be coming from DS lite owners.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

Why wouldn't I? :p
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
Haha Pale got his dig in about the pixel size.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »
The pixels are huge. They hurt my eyes. :-/

Does the XL literally hurt your eyes? That is a pretty big complaint if it is true.
Bless you, my child.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:54 AM »
I'd like to know that too.  It seems ridiculous that that could even be possible... It's not like you're straining your vision like if the pixels were too small.  The only thing that could really "hurt" the eyes is brightness, and that can be turned down and has nothing to do with pixels.  I've spent several hours playing DSi and it certainly doesn't hurt my eyes.  And even if it did, all you have to do is hold it farther from you.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 12:13:26 AM »
The pixels were literally stabbing him in the eyes. Did none of you see the picture of him with bleeding eyes?

It wasn't just a DSi XL unboxing, it was an DSi XL mugging.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:17:51 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »
I guess he got PixlBit.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 12:53:05 AM »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 01:35:34 AM »
I think he meant hurting his eyes like the resolution of PS1 game. Or an Atari 2600 game. The enlarged pixels were ugly.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:03 AM »
I think he meant hurting his eyes like the resolution of PS1 game. Or an Atari 2600 game. The enlarged pixels were ugly.

Well that isn't kind! Just because someone or something is plus-sized doesn't mean you have the right to say hurtful things! DSi XL, you are beautiful, you are more sensitive than other DS's and certainly more modest with your toned down-colors.
Bless you, my child.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:59 AM »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 06:19:25 AM »
So the American version doesn't come with the 6-in-1 dictionary?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »
Hurting my eyes was just because i feel like everything is out of focus when I play on it.  I'm sure part of that is because I'm used to holding the DS a certain distance from my face, and that's just too damn close with this thing.

If I got accustomed to holding it further away, it would probably be better, but that just seems silly when I'm perfectly happy with how I hold my normal DSi.  That's why I think this product is useless, but that's just my opinion.

It is stunning though, just as a piece of technology goes... I just don't like actually using it.

All these impressions are based on about a 2 hour blast through several DS titles.  It's all boxed up ready to ship out to James now.

I did forget to include one image.  I took one of the DSi and DSi XL screens next to each other.

---------------------

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: DSi XL Unboxing
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 01:14:39 PM »
What?! No GBC in the group picture? :P
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978