Author Topic: Game Boy Classic Edition, Game Boy Mini?  (Read 14925 times)

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Game Boy Classic Edition, Game Boy Mini?
« on: May 21, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »
Do you think Nintendo will actually create a Game Boy Classic Edition? If so what games do you think it will include? Do you think it will feature HDMI output to keep with the tradition? Do you think it will end up having a functional screen and be somewhat fully portable?

What games do you want to see? What games do you realistically think will make it despite your best wishes? What games are you absolutely certain won't make it but would be pleasantly surprised if they did?

Do you think if they do a Game Boy Classic Edition they will follow it up with others? Should we expect a Virtual Boy Classic Edition in the future? When do you think Nintendo, the Internet and gamers will grow tired of these micro consoles? Do you think Sony will ever jump in with a proper Playstation Classic Edition? Are there any others, besides Neo Geo, Sega and Turbo Grafix that make sense? Have fun.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Game Boy Classic Edition, Game Boy Mini?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
The tough thing about a Game Boy classic edition is that both the original Game Boy and the Game Boy Color have extremely robust libraries. If they were to make a classic or mini, I would want a number of games from both.

In terms of Game Boy:
DK 94
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Link's Awakening
Duck Tales
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2
Legend of the River King
Metroid 2
Mole Mania
Tetris
Castlevania 2
Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2, 3
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow

Game Boy Color
Bionic Commando
Bomberman Quest
Crystalis
Lufia
Mario Golf/Tennis
Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid
Pokemon TCG, Pinball
Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal
Dragon Warrior 1, 2, 3
Mario Bros. Deluxe
Wario Land 2, 3
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
Game Boy Classic Edition should cover OG Game Boy and Game Boy Color in a Game Boy Pocket sized unit but colored like the OG Game Boy with a color/backlit screen. OG Game Boy games should have Super Game Boy palette options including peasoup green.

Game Boy Virtual Console games cost less than NES and SNES games. Going by the NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition games/pricing, maybe maybe 40 to 50 games for $80. No HDMI but include a micro-USB/USB-C port for quasi-link cable functionality (namely for Pokemon).

Nintendo wouldn’t do this, but if they included a camera in like the bezel, one of the “games” could be Game Boy Camera. “Smile! You’re on Game Boy Camera.”

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:46:19 AM »
My gut reaction says it's inevitable, but I don't know how much extra cost built-in screens and all that adds to the package.  Might be niche if the price ends up over $100 where Nintendo would clearly want something that hits mass-market appeal.

Game Boy Classic Edition should cover OG Game Boy and Game Boy Color in a Game Boy Pocket sized unit but colored like the OG Game Boy with a color/backlit screen. OG Game Boy games should have Super Game Boy palette options including peasoup green.

Hit the nail on the head of what I was going to suggest.  If they gate an OG game boy classic edition to just game boy games, then I hope there's a toggle to enable some of the color swaps you could do with OG game boy games on the game boy color.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
I was thinking they would just exclude the screen and make it hdmi. I know that defeats the purpose of recapturing the true meaning of the Game Boy but if it's purpose is to keep in line with the rest of the Mini consoles, and we have Super Game boy and Game Boy Player both previously allowing Game Boy games on a TV, I would fully expect this, if it happens, to connect to a TV. They could throw in any old tiny screen with low res it doesn't have to be expensive, it doen't need to be color either I mean the original Game Boy didn't use a modern screen either. I would rather the screen just be for show not functional.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
I think it needs to be portable to really meet customer expectations.  Otherwise they might as well make it look like a SNES Classic with a Super Gameboy sticking out of it (which I would find cool but the general public would not understand).  I would want it to be the size of a GBC but with the classic Game Boy styling.  Backlit color screen, modern rechargeable battery, HDMI out and a port to connect a NES/SNES Classic controller (only needs to be one since the Game Boy is single player).  PokĂ©mon is an obvious inclusion so they also need some sort of link cable functionality, if not between units then online.  You couldn't include PokĂ©mon without allowing for trades.  Either that or you include both Red and Blue on the system and offer some method to trade between them.  Not quite as nice as trading with others but it would at least allow a single player to catch 'em all by playing both versions of the game.

I would love it to offer Super Game Boy borders and palettes when played on the TV (don't see how that would work on an internal screen as it would have to shrink the playable space to make it fit).  Of course it needs to have the option to also pick GBC mode and some later GBC games have exclusive GBA features so you need to offer a way to run it in that mode as well.  I would not expect Nintendo to take it that level of detail.  They would probably just make a GBC emulator and run everything in that mode.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
I was thinking they would just exclude the screen and make it hdmi. I know that defeats the purpose of recapturing the true meaning of the Game Boy but if it's purpose is to keep in line with the rest of the Mini consoles, and we have Super Game boy and Game Boy Player both previously allowing Game Boy games on a TV, I would fully expect this, if it happens, to connect to a TV. They could throw in any old tiny screen with low res it doesn't have to be expensive, it doen't need to be color either I mean the original Game Boy didn't use a modern screen either. I would rather the screen just be for show not functional.

I personally think it being playable without a TV is pretty important, BUT I wouldn't complain if they added some kind of HDMI port at the bottom to allow TV play  ;D .

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
A Game Boy Classic would certainly be tricky, since making it an actual portable would mean the cost to produce it is significantly higher than the NES and SNES ones. The most expensive component would be if it had a rechargeable battery. I s'pose they could just make it run on AAs, but I'm not so sure people are nostalgic for the battery-munching quality of older handhelds, hee hee.

I also feel like it would be a tougher sell at the $80 price of the SNES Classic, so being able to make it $60 would be ideal. Though I may be underestimating the nostalgia for the Game Boy and people's willingness to pay for these games. With the higher production cost though, it could reduce the number of games in it. I doubt it would have more than 30, but it may be more like 25.

I would expect to see the game list populated with mostly Nintendo titles, maybe all of them if they can't get third-parties on board. If there are a few third-parties titles, my guess is they will be the ones which sold the best on the 3DS VC.

Game Boy Virtual Console games cost less than NES and SNES games.
If you're including GBC though, those games are priced $4.99 or $5.99, the same or a dollar more than NES. And the Pokémon games are priced $9.99 each so I have my doubts they'd be in a Classic edition.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17:40 PM »

Game Boy Virtual Console games cost less than NES and SNES games.
If you're including GBC though, those games are priced $4.99 or $5.99, the same or a dollar more than NES. And the Pokémon games are priced $9.99 each so I have my doubts they'd be in a Classic edition.

Same could be said about the NES and SNES classic pricing structure compared to virtual console as well, though.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 12:26:21 PM »
I'm confused, what are you trying to say? My response was comparing VC prices, not the Classics prices.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 01:08:00 PM »
While I’d prefer to play on a TV, Game Boy Classic Edition would have to be portable since the entire point is to replicate the experience of playing the original. An HDMI port for the purpose of playing on a TV would require a controller port which would likely be the same Wii Remote port in both the NES and SNES Classic Editions. I don’t see how that’s doable in a Pocket/Color sized unit.
That’s fair though I don’t see the point of doing this without Pokemon. I was trying to justify an $80 MSRP by adding more games though perhaps 20 to 30 GB/C games in a unit with a screen and lithium ion battery does that.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
The idea of making the system portable already raises so many questions about production costs and battery life and whatnot that I'd rather just forget about it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 02:38:17 PM »
I would think that the added cost of putting in a back lit, color screen and rechargeable battery would raise the price of such a thing to ~$100 ($99.99).  I'm assuming Nintendo wants a decent mark up on it as well.

But I would hope Nintendo would add more games to the device in order to increase the value to consumers.  So, I don't think 40 games would be entirely unreasonable.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »
See, I am not seeing this as a replacement to a fully functioning Game Boy like most of you, It's a novelty product it really doesn't need to be portable at all. I know t defeats the purpose but Game Boy games are on the Wii U virtual console, there is a precedent with Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy and as a novelty item appeal to collectors it doesn't need all that fancy compatibility Ian brought up, it just needs regular Game Boy games, 30 or so, looks like an original and yes if they keep it the same size as the original, which is much larger than people tend to remember, using modern tech they could still make it portable. And they could do it with a color screen but forget backlit that wasn't a feature on the original so it's out. Also it doesn't need a battery at all its a novelty item designed to be played at home on a TV or sit on a collectors shelf. Screen, yes, battery not necessary.

It seems like most of you just want a modern Game Boy emulator, that already exists that defeats the purpose of a novelty product this isn't a mass market replacement for 3DS/Switch. It just needs to LOOK like a Game Boy and play Game Boy games, preferably on a TV because 1, 3DS already has the Roms for on the go modern gamers, and 2, it's a novelty toy.

TO Ian, oh I would totally buy a SNES Super Game Boy Classic too. I doubt Nintendo would think that far though. But I can see them doing something. I think the market has already gotten to the point they are expecting these to be an annual thing now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 10:08:51 PM »
I think it would become a hard sell to mass consumers to pitch a re-make of a portable console as decidedly not portable device.  And then what would you do for controllers?  Or would you have to plug the unit into an AC outlet and your TV while you hold it?  That doesn't seem like a fun experience.

And emulators for the NES and SNES also existed, but it didn't stop those from happening. There's still a TON of novelty in a GameBoy Pocket/Color-sized device that plays all those old games. 

And it doesn't have to replace the 3DS the same way the NES and SNES Classics didn't replace the virtual console on the Swit-oh no wait.  Never mind that last point.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 11:24:55 PM »
Yeah that's probably true. I guess this isn't really a practical product to produce at a mass market price point.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 11:58:07 PM »

Yeah that's probably true. I guess this isn't really a practical product to produce at a mass market price point.

No! Don't kill my hope!

Here are the OG (Original Gameboy) specs:

Technical specificationsCPU Custom 8-bit Sharp LR35902 at 4.19 MHz. This processor is similar to an Intel 8080 in that none of the registers introduced in the Z80 are present. However, some of the Z80's instruction set enhancements over the 8080, particularly bit manipulation, are present. Still other instructions are unique to this particular flavor of 8080/Z80 CPU. The IC also contains integrated sound generation.
  • RAM: 8 kB internal S-RAM (can be extended up to 32 kB)
  • Video RAM: 8 kB internal
  • ROM: On-CPU-Die 256-byte bootstrap; 256 kb, 512 kb, 1 Mb, 2 Mb, 4 Mb and 8 Mb cartridges
  • Sound: 2 pulse wave generators, 1 PCM 4-bit wave sample (64 4-bit samples played in 1Ă—64 bank or 2Ă—32 bank) channel, 1 noise generator, and one audio input from the cartridge. The unit only has one speaker, but headphones provide stereo sound.
  • Display: Reflective STN LCD 160 Ă— 144 pixels
  • Frame Rate: Approx. 59.7 frames per second on a regular Game Boy, 61.1 on a Super Game Boy
  • Vertical Blank Duration: Approx 1.1 ms
  • Screen size: 66 mm (2.6 in) diagonal
  • Color Palette: 2-bit (4 shades of "gray" {light to very dark olive green})
  • Power: 6 V, 0.7 W (4 AA batteries provide 15–30+ hours)
  • Dimensions: 90 mm (W) Ă— 148 mm (H) Ă— 32 mm (D) / 3.5″ Ă— 5.8″ Ă— 1.3″
  • Weight: 220 g

Tell me with a straight face you can't make one of those at mass market prices, 29 years later  :@ 

I'd love a Gameboy Mini and these would make a great and very likely list:

DK 94
Super Mario Land
Link's Awakening
Duck Tales
Kirby's Dream Land 1
Metroid 2
Mole Mania

In addition, my own picks:
Tennis
Baseball
World Cup Soccer
Golf
F-1 Race
Alleyway
Dr. Mario
Kirby's Pinball Land
Radar Mission
Battletoads
Pocket Bomberman
Mortal Kombat (why not)
[no way are they throwing in Pokemon]

and maybe one more each of action, rpg, & sidescroller and you've got a very appealing, diverse, and nostalgic handheld. That'd be what, 22 games? Right in the sweet spot. Ya got lots of sports, some platformers and adventure, puzzle games, a few third party games, and a bloody fighting game that parents will love. I'd definitely buy that, but would I pay more than $60 when a 2DS is a little bit more? And what about multiplayer?

Also, there are tons of great GBC games, so I think they'd make a separate mini just for that.

Comment below if you think I missed something and thanks for reading.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:46 AM »
See, I am not seeing this as a replacement to a fully functioning Game Boy like most of you, It's a novelty product it really doesn't need to be portable at all. I know t defeats the purpose but Game Boy games are on the Wii U virtual console, there is a precedent with Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy and as a novelty item appeal to collectors it doesn't need all that fancy compatibility Ian brought up, it just needs regular Game Boy games, 30 or so, looks like an original and yes if they keep it the same size as the original, which is much larger than people tend to remember, using modern tech they could still make it portable. And they could do it with a color screen but forget backlit that wasn't a feature on the original so it's out. Also it doesn't need a battery at all its a novelty item designed to be played at home on a TV or sit on a collectors shelf. Screen, yes, battery not necessary.

What I see the "classic edition" consoles as are a nostalgia trip + easy way to plug-in and go with classic games I loved as a kid.  And for me as a kid, the Game Boy is just as much about where I was playing it (my sibling's baseball games, on long trips, when my parents were using the TV) as it is playing the games itself. 

That's why personally, the only way i'd bite is if it were a handheld.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »
I’d imagine the hardware in a Game Boy Classic would be the same as the NES and SNES Classic. It shouldn’t be difficult to shrink it down to fit it into a Pocket/Color sized shell. Even with a rechargeable battery and low resolution screen (and headphone jack if Nintendo wanted to throw us a bone), Nintendo absolutely can release it for $80 and still turn a profit. It could even throw in a camera just for Game Boy Camera and still hit a mass market price.

For comparison’s sake, the battery in the DSi was $1.70 toward the bill of materials. The cameras in the DSi were like $4.50 for both. The screens in the DSi were $21.95 for both. DSi was released almost a decade ago. Point being, similar (or worse spec) components are even cheaper today.

Anyway, I suggested combining the OG Game Boy and Game Boy Color games because I’d rather have the DX versions of games such as Link’s Awakening and Wario Land II. There definitely are enough games to release separated Classic Editions. And I suppose it’d be asking a lot to have three Zelda games. What would Nintendo even do with Pokémon?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 11:06:23 AM »
I didn't the added items would be that cheap.  I wonder if Nintendo would do anything with the GB Camera software?  Like make a color/DX version of it.  The GB Camera was cool when it came out because there was nothing like it.  But we've had what 15 years of cellphones with cameras?  The photo quality wouldn't exactly do it for a modern audience.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »
I can't imagine this actually happening, but think it's a cool idea - especially if they managed to get GBC compatibility.

My dream list of games, some which definitely won't happen, would look something like:

Super Mario Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land
Revenge of the Gator (or Kirby's Pinball Land)
Link's Awakening DX
Mole Mania
Gold
Tecmo Bowl
Operation C
Tetris
Kid Dracula
Donkey Kong 94
Final Fantasy Legend II
Gargoyle's Quest
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Balloon Kid
Gradius: Interstellar Assault (or R-Type)
Mega Man V
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »
There's already some empty space inside the shells of the NES and SNES Classic, so yeah, the innards could definitely fit inside of an original Game Boy shape, and probably a Pocket or Color if they wanted it to look like that instead.

I think if any Pokémon game(s) get included would depend on how much GameFreak thinks it would take away from sales of those games on the 3DS VC, where they make more money off the games. I know these classic systems are targeting a different audience but it's still something they might be worried about. I'd bet that if any get in, it would just be Red and Blue, leaving the rest on 3DS.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
What I'm starting to think Nintendo really needs is a handheld VC.  Make it a GBA SP like device with 20 built in games plus the ability to add VC titles via an online store.  These days people are playing emulators on their phones anyway so Nintendo might as well try to meet that demand with a retail product.  Now having this on the 3DS would have been ideal but now its on its last legs, there doesn't appear to be a successor and the Switch isn't pocket friendly.  A low cost pocket handheld just for retro games could find an audience.

Or maybe due to the extra cost of making a handheld GB Classic they need to expand it to GB, GBC and GBA games to give it more games and thus more value in the eyes of the consumer.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »
The weird thing is Nintendo could have done this with the NES and SNES Classic Editions. It would only require at least an Ethernet port and additions to the UI to take users to the eShop.

Instead, Nintendo released the NES Classic Edition, saw how obscenely easy it was to hack, then just fucking released the SNES Classic Edition the very next year anyway with the exact same hardware and absolutely no additional security measures whatsoever.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 10:46:04 AM »
The current rumor is that Nintendo is actually planning a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition which would be a Classic Edition masquerading as one without Rare games but that’s another thread.

On the list of things that should happen but most likely won’t: the ability to link a Game Boy Classic Edition to a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition for Pokemon Stadium.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »
The current rumor is that Nintendo is actually planning a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition which would be a Classic Edition masquerading as one without Rare games but that’s another thread.

Based on some of the stuff they've done recently I think Microsoft would be open to making a deal to put Rare games on the N64 Classic. Whether Nintendo would be willing to approach them about it is a different story.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
I wonder how they'll handle the controllers.  The NES Classic controllers never came back in stock, iirc.  And the SNES Classic came with two.  Expecting an N64 mini to come with four, sounds almost unreasonable, especially with the ability to sell different colors.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
Gameboy Classic should just be a regular GBA with built-in games.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
These weren't mentioned yet:
- Wave Race (1990). It holds up okay; there's some minor skill involved. And while the slalom mode has never been good, it'd add a much-needed racing game to a potential Game Boy Mini - and I'm not sure if F-1 Race will be allowed by the FIA for example.
- Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (1991). Nintendo has been lightly pushing the franchise ever since Smash Bros. Brawl, and re-issued this on 3DS.

- Mario Picross (1995). It's picross, aka digital crack, with Mario in it too.
- Harvest Moon (1997). More opiate for the masses.

If they'll go for a Game Boy Color Mini right away, watch 'em make a deal with WayForward to get the original Shantae on it.
Pokémon Pinball, TCG and Puzzle League are all good candidates too. And if it won't have Mario Tennis, there will be riots in the streets.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »
The N64 classic has to support four controllers.  If it doesn't the whole thing is practically pointless.  But it couldn't possibly come with four controllers.  Aside from the cost, N64 controllers are huge compared to NES and SNES ones.  Imagine how big the box needs to be to include four controllers.

Though there are other minor complications with the controllers in general.  A big part of N64 controllers was multiple colours.  No one owned four grey ones, you had an array of colours.  So do they reproduce that?  Maybe the system comes with a grey one and you can buy three other colours?  Do they have rumble built in?  I wouldn't expect a separate rumble pak but a lot of N64 games support it and it would make sense to include the feature built in, but that adds to the cost of the controller.  And finally what analog stick would we get?  The N64 analog sticks are trash.  They deserve credit for being innovative and influential but they're not up to the standards of even the generation that followed.  In 2018 you can't sell controllers with analog sticks like that.

The NES and SNES come from an era where consoles are fairly simple.  The controllers are really just digital buttons - no analog, no rumble, no motion control.  The consoles don't have any OS and there is no internal storage or memory cards.  And the games are all small cartridge ROMs.  The biggest obstacles are lightguns and multitaps but those are optional accessories that most games don't support so it was easy to ignore them.  With the N64 things are starting to get a little complicated for a cheap dedicated console.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
I think the N64 mini/classic is a bad idea no matter what.
Remove Rare, remove all the games not happening due to licensing issues, companies that are gone, etc., you aren't left with enough games to justify it. Even if you get 100 percent of the 1st party titles, that's a small, library even for a console like this with very little variety.

Then, as Ian mentions, the cost issue of supporting 4 controllers. No, they will not contain rumble as that was an optional feature. They also can get around needing memory cards by using internal save states, that won't be an issue. The trick is four controllers. No way it works without that function, no way it's cost effective with it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
Rumble may have been optional, but that was a huge selling point for some of the games.  They would be weird to not have it.

I think Nintendo could negotiate with Microsoft to get some Rare games on the thing.  They seem like they'd be open to it in a case like this.  I don't think it would cannibalize sales of Rare Replay or the XB1.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »
I think Star Fox 64 would be a bit odd to some people without the Rumble Pak. It's the game which introduced the accessory to many people and may be tied to their nostalgia of Star Fox 64.

Something which can help with controllers is if they still use the same controller port as Wiimotes like the previous Classics, allowing Wii Classic Controllers to be used. The system would have to include button mapping for that to work well, though. Of course, cramming four people around this thing with four corded controllers doesn't sound very ideal. I'm not sure that's something people are really nostalgic for, so I hope that any N64 Classic's controller cords would be at least as lengthy as the original controller.

When a second controller was added to the base N64 system package, it was Atomic Purple, so that would be a good choice for a second controller.

On the list of things that should happen but most likely won’t: the ability to link a Game Boy Classic Edition to a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition for Pokemon Stadium.
Or at least have the GBC stuff unlocked in Mario Tennis.

Even with a rechargeable battery and low resolution screen (and headphone jack if Nintendo wanted to throw us a bone), Nintendo absolutely can release it for $80 and still turn a profit. It could even throw in a camera just for Game Boy Camera and still hit a mass market price.
By the way, I know this is straying a bit, but this got me wondering: If what you say is true, then what made the Wii U GamePad cost so much to manufacture? Or was that nothing but a PR line from Nintendo?

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
Rumble may have been optional, but that was a huge selling point for some of the games.  They would be weird to not have it.

I think Nintendo could negotiate with Microsoft to get some Rare games on the thing.  They seem like they'd be open to it in a case like this.  I don't think it would cannibalize sales of Rare Replay or the XB1.

You misunderstood what I was saying, rumble is essential but it doesn't require the rumble pack they can make the controllers without having to sell expensive add ons, which I can assure you they will not do not even for the nostalgia.

The zapper was absolutely essential to the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt experience yet that was not included with NES classic.

I am also not sure Microsoft wants to help Nintendo right now. It made sense last generation when Xbox 360 was dominating and Windows still had basically a monopoly on gaming and desktop users. Things have changed, they are in a much more desperate situation and the Xbox One is about to be lapped by the Switch and there won't be any catching up after that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:32:29 PM by segagamersteph »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
By the way, I know this is straying a bit, but this got me wondering: If what you say is true, then what made the Wii U GamePad cost so much to manufacture? Or was that nothing but a PR line from Nintendo?
If I remember correctly, the bill of materials for the GamePad was estimated to be about $80 and the screen about $25 of that. CNN Money didn’t itemize the rest, including the battery in a lump of $25 for miscellaneous non-motion control stuff. The GamePad was the priciest component of the Wii U, but it didn’t come close to the $180 Nintendo was selling replacements for at launch. I think Nintendo wanted people to view it as a luxury item.
The zapper was absolutely essential to the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt experience yet that was not included with NES classic.
The Zapper requires a CRT television to work. With the HDMI port on the NES Classic Edition, Nintendo expected people to play it on HDTVs. It could have ported the Wii U Virtual Console version, but that would require a Wii Remote and Sensor Bar. More importantly, that just isn’t in the spirit of what Nintendo was going for.
I am also not sure Microsoft wants to help Nintendo right now. It made sense last generation when Xbox 360 was dominating and Windows still had basically a monopoly on gaming and desktop users. Things have changed, they are in a much more desperate situation and the Xbox One is about to be lapped by the Switch and there won't be any catching up after that.
If anything, I feel as if that makes Microsoft more likely to help Nintendo. Licensing software to a stand-alone device with the software locked to it is an easy buck as well as free advertising.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 11:12:57 PM »
If anything, I feel as if that makes Microsoft more likely to help Nintendo. Licensing software to a stand-alone device with the software locked to it is an easy buck as well as free advertising.

Look at it from MS's perspective: You can't really do anything with Diddy Kong Racing, so letting Nintendo use the Rare characters is free money.  Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie would be trickier, since they're both in the Rare Replay, but that could possibly get people to check out the subsequent games in those series on the XB1.  Or, if the Rare Replay has run its course, still squeeze a few more dollars out of it.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 01:18:02 AM »
Nevermind, sorry.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:53:23 AM by segagamersteph »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »

Okay what Nintendo can definitely release on an N64 classic:
-1080 Snowboarding
-Donkey Kong 64 - Nintendo will have the rights to this surely. Maybe they'll cut out the arcade port in it.
-Dr. Mario 64 - This never hit Europe, could be a mild curiosity?
-Excitebike 64 
-F-Zero X 
-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - Liked, but not a classic.
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina - Gotta be.
-Legend of Zelda: Majora - Needs to be there too.
-Mario Golf - Could see this getting the axe, Mario Tennis is just more iconic.
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party 1, 2 and 3 - I think they might just put one on there, likely the first?
-Mario Tennis - Birth of Waluigi.
-Paper Mario
-Pilotwings 64
-Sin & Punishment - Takes the Earthbound/Star Fox 2 'curiosity' slot.
-Star Fox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wave Race 64
-Yoshi's Story

Depending on the whims of the Pokémon Company:
-Pokémon Snap - Could see this make the cut, it was also on Wii VC right?
-Pokémon Stadium 1 and/or 2 - Loses a lot of appeal without crossplay with Pokémon Red/Blue
-Pokémon Puzzle League - Never came to Japan, weirdly enough.
-...Hey, you Pikachu??? - Needs a mic, won't happen.

Japan-only releases they won't include:
-Animal Crossing
-Custom Robo & Custom Robo V2

Without Rare you're missing:
-Diddy Kong Racing - This is a weird one, can Rare/Microsoft block this?

-Perfect Dark - I think this one's too intertwined with Xbox now.
-GoldenEye 007 - not happening due to licensing.
-Mickey's Speedway USA - licensed game, won't happen.
-Jet Force Gemini - ...maybe if MS play ball? Not iconic though.
-Blast Corps - ...maybe? Not iconic enough either though.
-Banjo-Kazooie - Don't see it happening sadly, probably the second-biggest loss.
-Banjo-Tooie
-Conker's Bad Fur Day - Would be hilarious if only this of the Rare games made it.
-Killer Instinct Gold - Xbox One launched with a version of this right? Don't think many will miss it.

Third party additions I could see happen:
-Bomberman 64 - Was on Wii U eShop. Konami has a lot on N64 but how willing they'd be?
-Castlevania 64 - Again, up to the whims of Konami. They might wanna keep this one dead.
-Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - this came to virtual console twice, must be a good relationship.
-Harvest Moon 64 - Came to virtual console on Wii U, Natsume wants to keep this brand relevant.

-Rayman 2 - Ubisoft puts this on everything if it can.
-Ridge Racer 64 - Was internally developed & published by Nintendo I think?
Does Nintendo have rights to Argonaut games? Buck Bumble was published by Ubisoft...

Conclusion: Nintendo has ~20 games if it puts everything it has on one. That's acceptable (NES mini had 30, SNES just 21). Without Rare though there's not a single FPS, and there's just one RPG if Ogre Battle doesn't work out. No puzzle games unless either Dr. Mario or Pokémon Puzzle League makes it; both were regional exclusives. No fighting game besides Smash Bros.

I thought it would look worse tbh, but there's still many titles people associate with N64 that aren't here: Cruisin' USA, Turok, Star Wars, Top Gear Rally, Tony Hawk, none of the sports/wrestling titles, and obviously Rare's contributions. No crappy 3D fighters sadly, and honestly not very many 3D platformers unless they get Banjo and/or Rayman.
I think they can stand to miss a few of those for sure, but GoldenEye and Banjo-Kazooie are the most obvious losses.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:46:16 AM by Steefosaurus »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »
There was a Diddy Kong Racing port on the DS that removed the Rare characters, so it's possible.  But who knows if Nintendo would put in the effort for the N64 ROM.  MS could block use of the characters, but like I said earlier, it's free money that hurts MS in no way.

Also, I think DK64 made it a VC release at some point.

There could be some potential surprises if there are any english translations of JPN only titles that never made it out.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »
Yeah DK64 is on Wii U VC for sure. I agree that Diddy Kong Racing should be possible and Microsoft could gain a bit from it too.

If there's a translation for Animal Crossing... That alone would sell it for a lot of people I think. I would bite if they get Treasure to put Bangai-O on. There's an English version of that for DreamCast, or hell just keep it Japanese, I wouldn't mind. That's not their audience for these minis though...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »
Conker made me think of another factor - the ESRB.  Nintendo would not want one of these Classic systems to get an M rating.  Not an issue on the NES due to their strict censoring policies at the time.  The SNES was a little more open and had some M rated third party titles like the Mortal Kombat sequels and Doom but usually everything was in the E to T range.  The N64 was fully in the ESRB era so it was a lot more common to get M rated games.  So even if Nintendo still had the rights to Perfect Dark, it would make the N64 Classic M rated so it's no good.  Same with the Turok games.  Same with the N64 port of Resident Evil 2 (which otherwise would be a great title to include).

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »
That's a great point, I hadn't even considered.  I wonder if Nintendo could get the ESRB to re-review these games?  Surely, modern sensibilities would bring a few of the M ratings down to T.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »
That's a great point, I hadn't even considered.  I wonder if Nintendo could get the ESRB to re-review these games?  Surely, modern sensibilities would bring a few of the M ratings down to T.

Does the ESRB re-review re-releases like that or just stick with that they had before?  I think the point can be made that what was considered a detailed graphic depiction of violence on the N64 just looks like a blurry, blocky mess today. :)  No system gives me more of a shocking "we thought THIS looked good?" reaction than the N64.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 04:08:15 PM »
I don't know if it's an ESRB policy, or a situation where no one bothered to try.  Like, there wouldn't really be a point unless you had a reason to want a lower rating.  I doubt they would though, plus it'd be on Nintendo to pay for it.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
You think Mario Tennis is more iconic than Mario Golf? Mario Golf came out first and my brother played it a lot. Mario Tennis came out near the end of the 64's lifespan and, although it introduced Waluigi, we only played it once as a rental. Never a big tennis fan. With the Cube, same thing. Played a lot more of Mario Golf and never played Mario Power Tennis on it. Even with the 3DS, Mario Golf was a bif release for me. I always thought and felt it was the bigger sports title and it seems to have the greatest run of quality releases.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
Huh, funny, for me it was almost the exact opposite. Played Tennis way more, rented Golf once or twice. Distinctly remember that Golf felt kinda odd, there were some non-Mario characters in there iirc? The bonus mode felt more like minigolf than a real spin on the formula. It was fun yelling at other players during their turns though! I think Golf was just a bit boring ultimately, you had to wait for your turn and scroll along the field with the grid, zoom it in and back out...

Meanwhile Tennis had the more immediate multiplayer (4 player doubles!), brought back Daisy, made Shyguy, Boo and others playable. I'll admit though, my experience with the Golf games is limited to like 2 weekend afternoons. Never got around to picking it up on GameCube and it still goes for like 18 bucks today. Maybe I should pick a version of it up sometime, which is the best regarded?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 05:38:33 PM »
I think Mario Golf is better for single player but Mario Tennis is better for multi. I never played Mario Golf with more than myself, everyone always wanted to play Tennis instead.

Maybe I should pick a version of it up sometime, which is the best regarded?
World Tour on 3DS, you won't regret it.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
There was a Kotaku article a couple weeks ago that went through the history of Mario Sports and it's worth pursuing if you've got the time as it's pretty spot on with all it's assessments of the Mario Sports subsection of games. Someone in the comments made the observation that Mario Golf is like a Turn Based Strategy Game and Mario Tennis is like a Real Time Strategy Game. You're preference of which you think is better or how you like to play may influence which of those franchises you prefer more. I've got no problem waiting a turn (especially since you can heckle the player as you wait) and I prefer TBS over RTS so that may be a factor in why I've always felt Golf superior.

Mario Golf 64 does have non-Mario characters which did seem odd. It might have something to do with the GBA version. Mario Golf 64 is pretty much a traditional kind of Golf experience. Toadstool Tour started to add some more Mario type elements like warp pipes into the some of the experience and tours but still stayed pretty close to traditional golf in most of the game. World Tour really starts to lean into the fantasy and Mario elements and mixing those into the Golf experience which I like. It gives each game a different flavor and keeps things interesting.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
I thought that the characters in Mario Golf were from Camelot's Hot Shots Golf series, or at least they have some similarities to those characters. Still an odd inclusion though. It's sort of like a crossover game.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2018, 07:02:46 PM »
I played Mario Golf with my friends and we didn't even know Mario Tennis existed, for what it's worth.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 05:37:17 AM »

Does the ESRB re-review re-releases like that or just stick with that they had before?  I think the point can be made that what was considered a detailed graphic depiction of violence on the N64 just looks like a blurry, blocky mess today. :)  No system gives me more of a shocking "we thought THIS looked good?" reaction than the N64.

From what I remember about the ESRB and ratings they tended to rate games that were not rated before like NES games on the Wii Virtual Console or if it was a game that is new to the region.   I haven't really seen any instances where there was a rating change between different time periods.   

I guess the easiest metric too test this would be to check a newly rated game from the 90s after the ESRB was and any game collections with that game.    Quick check of Mortal Kombat 2 and it had a MA-17 or 17 rating. The Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection which was released in 2011/2012 was rated M and had the first 3 MK games in it which all back in the day had a M rating.  So there doesn't seem to be much precident for changing of ratings over time.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »
Thanks for that analysis!  I wonder if those games having ratings tied to them already led to the collections being rated M instead of the collection getting a completely fresh rating.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »
That is probably the case as the content hasn't really changed much if at all.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2018, 10:20:00 PM »
While to some extent standards maybe have changed, I think the violence as depicted in the Mortal Kombat games is still shocking enough to a child to warrant remaining M rated. I would say the same for the N64 games. Remember the ratings aren't there for us, we're grown adults we can handle it, they are there for parents not wanting to expose their children to images they might not be ready for. Every parent/child is different.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2018, 10:28:21 PM »
MK2 just had a warning on the box, the ESRB didn't exist at that time (I bieve the ESRB was officially a "thing" just a couple days after it was released on SNES/Genesis - the Saturn and PlayStation versions had an M rating). Midway Arcade Treasures 2 was also rated M because it had MK2 and MK3 on it. Any MK game would still be rated M today. They all feature realistic graphic violence, decapitation, etc.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2018, 03:41:30 PM »
Rather than a Game Boy classic, I much rather have a new 3DS classic/collector/retro edition with a Game Boy cartridge slot capable of playing every pre-switch handheld game they've ever released and be able to download GB/GBC onto to the system memory.

Another idea that would sell like crazy would be a <$50 Game Boy classic + scientific calculator combo device.
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 07:06:12 PM »
For the ESRB, I think they do re-rate games which are re-released. Although the only example I can think of where a rating was changed is with Earthbound. It received a T rating for its VC release, whereas its original release on the SNES was KA (Kids to Adults, the old name for E for Everyone).

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
If Nintendo is going to do it they need to do it right. Release GB with only OG games, then GBC for the fans, GBA and then a Super Game Boy Mini for the weirdos like me.