Author Topic: Wii U eShop HYPE thread. More than 2D platformers!  (Read 83095 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U eShop HYPE thread. More than 2D platformers!
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
Release dates!

Guacamelee! - July 2 ($14.99)
Armillo - July 3 ($6.00 for the first 3 weeks, $8.00 afterwards). This is a timed Wii U exclusive.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
Does this game need any more hype?

Yes.

Shovel Knight - $14.99 (Console Exclusive)
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »
I need that game in my life.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
So... How about those not-2d platformers? Because all I see on the eShop is boring **** and it's getting me depressed. Mostly because the 3DS eShop is so vastly superior.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
I've beaten Shovel Night and I only read some of the preliminary Kickstarter stuff.  I should have watched that eShop trailer.  It gives away a good chunk of the game and would have saved me some trouble.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
I've beaten Shovel Night and I only read some of the preliminary Kickstarter stuff.  I should have watched that eShop trailer.  It gives away a good chunk of the game and would have saved me some trouble.

Yeah, I'm a little mystified at the the glowing reception this game has received. It looks and sounds good, but the gameplay is fairly shallow and I'm almost done at the 3 hour mark, and I regret having spent $15. Mega Man 9 is a better retro NES title. Burned me again, indie game world!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »
It has a glowing reception because it's a great game. One that isn't the million sequel to a series that should be dead. It took the best parts of classic NES titles and removed all the bad **** to make something that even I can enjoy. And I'm the type to despise NES platformers. Yuck. You two are literally the only people who aren't impressed with Shovel Knight.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
So... How about those not-2d platformers? Because all I see on the eShop is boring **** and it's getting me depressed. Mostly because the 3DS eShop is so vastly superior.

What titles do you have already Evan? What are you looking for? 3D movement only?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 12:57:49 AM »
I have Child of Light, Abyss Wii U, Nano Assault Neo, Scram Kitty, Runner 2, Trine 2, NES Remix, UNEpic and Pokemon Rumble U.

3D movement would be nice but that's pushing it since that's such a development investment. I dunno, Nano Assault Neo and Pokemon Rumble U are satisfying but lack a bit of depth. Wacky titles like Liberation Maiden that aren't really long but present a variety of challenges and unique gameplay would be nice. Actually, just original content would be nice.

I have heard Squids Odyssey is pretty good but I'm hesitant. Most new releases look equally bland.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 02:12:19 AM »
Get Stick it To the Man, Great production values and worth a few hours. It's a comedy adventure with some annoying but brief platforming.

I'm also enjoying Edge as a 3D puzzler

How to Survive looks like an interesting overhead 3D action shooter.

Ittle dew is a top down Zelda that has gotten good reviews.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
It has a glowing reception because it's a great game. One that isn't the million sequel to a series that should be dead. It took the best parts of classic NES titles and removed all the bad **** to make something that even I can enjoy. And I'm the type to despise NES platformers. Yuck. You two are literally the only people who aren't impressed with Shovel Knight.

It's super easy, so I'm guessing that's what you're fired by. The soundtrack is genuinely great, though. I think the game might have been more successful overall if it actually did try to ape Mega Man more directly, with all of the eight boss stages available from the beginning, with a discoverable order of difficulty. As is, the relics are kind of useless outside of the generic fireball and invincibility phase item, and the chalice boosts are somewhat gamebreaking in that they are far easier to come by than Mega Man E tanks. Maybe I'm "playing it wrong" but I'm going to use the resources the game gives me to avoid dying repeatedly and having to replay sections. That's the design, yo.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:07:42 AM by MagicCow64 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »
I didn't find Uncharted very easy. The shooting against a group of enemies got me.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
Adventure games irk me with their lack of engaging gameplay. However, I am curious about EDGE and How to Survive, but Ittle Dew doesn't sound like it fulfills it's price with poor mechanics and puzzles and a brief playtime.

The 3DS eShop filled a void in my soul while the 3DS had no releases, but the Wii U eShop has no original, exclusive content that appeals to me. I'm tired of 2D platformers and score chasers- unless it's exceptionally well made. It sucks that Hex Heroes is so far off because that game looks legitimately unique, and most RPGs or titles with a decent story to invest in are a ways off or simply don't exist.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
Also, I think you mean "millionth".

Buddy, there's no need to call out a typing mistake. I see there far too often around here with other users. Yo gonna call out their mistake too? No? Because that was utterly useless if you want me to see your point, for my sake and your's. Why should I listen to your points (as good as they are), when you childishly corrected my mistake?

Idiocy aside, you made some good points. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of the genre so I really don't have a base of comparison to classic titles.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
Okay, okay. Some people like Shovel Knight and some don't. However, the only reason I'm interested in the game is because it seems like the Wii U equivalent of Mutant Mudds- simplistic controls and design with multiple challenges layered atop their core mechanics.

Still, I guess I haven't found that "one game" that actually appeals to me yet. There's been a lot of games I've bought, but none feels original, substantial, or interesting enough to fall in love with.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
Just beat Shovel Knight, and that final sequence was a cakewalk. I beat the gauntlet on the first try with no ichor or phasing, and the final boss in two tries, though using the phasing a bit. Put 4:30 or so into it with a 85% completion rate. Honestly, I would wait for this to go on sale, I think $15 is too big an ask unless you're into getting the achievements or doing speed runs.

@evan_b It's somewhat comparable to Mutant Mudds in its retro design approach to core mechanics, but Mudds is also much harder to clear. I'm not wild about either game, but Shovel Knight probably wins out due to the music and visuals.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:08:22 AM by MagicCow64 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »
MY POOR ESHOP THREAD

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
@evan_b It's somewhat comparable to Mutant Mudds in its retro design approach to core mechanics, but Mudds is also much harder to clear. I'm not wild about either game, but Shovel Knight probably wins out due to the music and visuals.
Upsetting to hear about the difficulty of Shovel Knight. Mutant Mudds is, to me, a definitive retro-designed game with lovely music and a satisfying 100% challenge, which I will probably attempt with Shovel Knight, though Mutant Mudds was around the same price at release and is updated with new levels that have made it an amazing experience. I've pretty much mastered the mechanics of Mutant Mudds so I'm not feeling too optimistic about Shovel Knight now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
Yo gonna call out their mistake too?

I think you mean "you" and "mistakes". And no, because nobody else around these parts is as needlessly aggressive and insulting when discussing topics that should engender no personal animus, and thus I have no desire to twist their tails in return.

I wasn't aggressive until you were. I've been good since I got back until you spewed your **** in here.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 12:06:21 AM »
MY POOR ESHOP THREAD

Sorry dawg, I broke my "ignore Oblivion despite deliberate provocation" vow. I will edit my posts and suggest that Oblivion do the same.

@Evan_B Yeah, the thing with Mudds is that it's similar to Yoshi's Island, where if you don't get everything as you're going along it feels like you're not doing it right. With Shovel Knight, it turns out I missed ~10 musical scores, but 100%-ing that is more a matter of playing through the stages again and making sure I slash every wall and try to jump over every screen, which doesn't particularly interest me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:11:41 AM by MagicCow64 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Hey! Hawt new Wii U eShop game! Overlooked! Not a 2D platformer! First person! In fact, I'm not sure... what it is. Very psychological, some horror and explorations. This is my jam! I'm running around like Dear Esther in pseudo-Tron world with some creepy cards about purgatory. $15! I bought it with my free Mario Kart 8 game points!

Master Reboot

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
It looks intriguing. Let us know how it turns out!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
So Two Tribes just announced RIVE, a shmup aimed at all three consoles.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:10 AM »
Where the heck is telsagard? That and 90s arcade racer?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
I was wasting my Club Nintendo coins last night and decided to check out the eShop...such a sad place.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA