Author Topic: Episode 497: 8 Minifigure Heads in a Duffel Bag  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 497: 8 Minifigure Heads in a Duffel Bag
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »

LEGO Radio Free Nintendo the Video Game, coming 2019 to Switch.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/43603/episode-497-8-minifigure-heads-in-a-duffel-bag

Jonny decided to join us to discuss LEGO City Undercover this week. While a guest is always nice, sometimes it comes with unforeseen costs...namely some lost audio in the first segment. Please Understand.

Jon kicks off New Business with some more thoughts on Nintendo Switch, and the announced January Switch event. Greg considers a return to Pokemon, with a look at the Sun and Moon demo. He also acquired an original copy of Thunder Force III, just in time for Sega to announce its addition to Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3. Guillaume is looking to engage in more random acts of violence, so he tries out RetroActive alumnus River City Ransom. Jonny goes on an adventure with Dragon Quest VII; we don't spend a lot of time on it - it's Dragon Quest. James closes out New Business with thoughts on bloody adventure game Corpse Party; he is struggling, to say the least.

After the break, it's time for our RetroActive for LEGO City Undercover! We talk about the humor, the gameplay, the style, and...
...the load times. Thanks to everyone who played along with us!

We'll be back to a traditional episode next week, so you can load our inbox with your questions!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Episode 497: 8 Minifigure Heads in a Duffel Bag
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:27:41 AM »
I haven't even listened yet but had to give special due and my continued apologies to Gui for having to deal with my mangled audio file in the first segment. Editing this show is a tough job even when everything goes right. I used to be more vigilant about my recording gear, but retirement has dulled my wariness of the technology and how easily we can misuse it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »
"The loss that keeps on losing"

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:53:16 PM »
If you're wondering how to sink Pokemon XY's framerate, go to Route 20 and get in a horde battle against Trevenant.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:42:32 PM »
Sorry if this is a spoiler, but wow! The LEGO City Undercover discussion felt so incredibly negative.

Not going to argue with the criticism: it's warranted, and any points I might disagree with are either subjective or require you to get far enough into the game to unlock different features or abilities.

In the end, I just enjoyed what the game did offer enough to overlook the flaws. For me, the humor and production values were consistently strong enough to justify our time with the game - of course, as a parent with two young kids that might change my perspective. It also helps that I tend to compare it against other LEGO (and other family-friendly) games instead of general open world games that might have a different focus.

Shame that you guys had to spend so much time slogging through a game that you (mostly) didn't enjoy.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »
Really enjoyed the Retroactive. I didn't have time to get and play LEGO City Undercover, but the discussion has me interested in getting it soon.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
On pokemon and it's garbage framerate...

From what I've been told, the pokemon models they use for X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, and now Sun and Moon are actually very high poly to essentially try and stave off the need to really do much touch-up on them. the reason they look bad is because everything in those pokemon games has this weird Aliased effect to still sorta make it look like pixel art. Still, X and Y's engine was very unstable. the framerate dips happen in Lumiose city and various other places that use the over the shoulder perspective or have lots of NPCs around. if you turn the 3D on during battles, the framerate tanks, if there's more than 2 pokemon or if certain pokemon with complex designs are on the field, the framerate tanks.. hell, the framerate even tanks during the super training mini-game, which makes that kinda hard to use. usually the hardest framerate hits come from triple battles and having it in 3D.

There does seem to be SOME engine improvement for x and Y, given that we're keeping trainer models loaded while battles take place and such, but yeah. it's unclear if there's any performance enhancement going on with New 3DS or not.

Also, I'm... not going to blame you on River City Ransom, Gui. :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:50:50 PM by ClexYoshi »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:52:36 AM »
Also, I'm... not going to blame you on River City Ransom, Gui. :P:

You're not doing it right.
 ;)
NNID: ejamer

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 02:46:58 AM »
Also, I'm... not going to blame you on River City Ransom, Gui. :P: :

You're not doing it right.
 ;)

He also sounds like he enjoyed it a little more this time around after taking the Nintendo Power approach to it. River City Ransom was important for it's time, but I can't necessarily give it an instant recommendation... especially if you find 2D Beat 'em ups shallow.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 11:52:19 AM »
Sorry if this is a spoiler, but wow! The LEGO City Undercover discussion felt so incredibly negative.

Not going to argue with the criticism: it's warranted, and any points I might disagree with are either subjective or require you to get far enough into the game to unlock different features or abilities.

In the end, I just enjoyed what the game did offer enough to overlook the flaws. For me, the humor and production values were consistently strong enough to justify our time with the game - of course, as a parent with two young kids that might change my perspective. It also helps that I tend to compare it against other LEGO (and other family-friendly) games instead of general open world games that might have a different focus.

Shame that you guys had to spend so much time slogging through a game that you (mostly) didn't enjoy.

The funny thing is, despite how apparently aligned my feelings are on the game with James Jones, I don't regret playing it.  I think the game is worth playing IN SPITE of my grievances of the world feeling largely uninteresting, gated, etc for the very exact reasons you find it worth playing - because they clearly took time and effort into the humor, dialogue, and silly homages they insert into the game.

James hit on another nerve I didn't realize I had for the game - for me, sandbox games have to be inherently enjoyable to just traverse from one point to another, and while I had limited fun getting little lego cars to explode, the general modes of transportation were largely uninteresting to me.  I've been spoiled by Spider-Man 2 and inFamous with how much sheer fun there is in scaling through the entire city.