Author Topic: New Legend of Zelda Game Coming to 3DS  (Read 16843 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
New Legend of Zelda Game Coming to 3DS
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »

Some original Zelda love coming to the 3DS this holiday season.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33887

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past 2, an original title for the Nintendo 3DS, is making it’s way to the Nintendo's handheld in winter 2013 in the West and in 2014 in Japan. The game features a top-down view in 3D environments, looking similar to the Wind Waker remake screen shots from earlier in the year. The Legend of Zelda also features a unique ability that allows Link to portray himself on a wall to resemble a painting. This allows players to reach many different areas and opens a variety of options for puzzles.

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline DanteZX

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past 2 Coming to 3DS
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »
Gotta say I love the new mechanics that nintendo came up with. I just hope dungeons don't become extremely hard now. Ugh, I'm getting water temple flash backs all of a sudden. >.<

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: New Legend of Zelda Game Coming to 3DS
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
This looks amazing ! What's left for E3?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »
How happy am I that this wasn't another remake? Super duper hyper happy. Top down, nice art style and interesting mechanics looks to make worthy new Zelda. Can't tell for sure but looks like there is no Phantom or Tracks touch controls either, yay!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline DanteZX

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
The only thing left for E3 is to focus on the Wii U, and get this train rolling again.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »
This looks amazing ! What's left for E3?

Exactly what I'm thinking! They really have such massive momentum with 3DS right now, I guess all the E3 announcements will be Wii U based.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »
This is a pretty big announcement, but I'm going to wait on more details before I decide whether I'm getting it. It just feels kind of desperate to name-drop Link to the Past so readily in that Nintendo Direct.  Sure, I liked Link to the Past (albeit not as much as some here), but I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the idea of possibly returning to that world again.  I would have preferred a new Zelda set in its own world (which this could still be).  Still, I'm sure it'll be a good game if you can actually use the sticks & buttons this time, unlike Nintendo's last few 2D perspective handheld Zelda titles.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:52:46 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »
Dang that looks HAWT

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were still 3D games with an isometric perspective. This new Zelda is entirely top-down.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
Wait, North America gets it before Japan? Weird. That would be like Japan getting Halo 5 before America.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
I would've rather seen an announcement for Majora's Mask, since I still haven't finished that game due to limited TV access. Playing it on a portable, with enhanced graphics, would be a dream for me.

But Zelda games are always fun (even the touch-based DS releases) and this game could be interesting with the switch between an overhead 3D character and the flat painting aspect. Hopefully they don't water down the puzzles too much to appeal to the masses.
NNID: ejamer

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »
From the trailer Nintendo uploaded, the puzzles look fine. I wonder if Anagnim is coming back.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »
Oh man this looks great!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
Wait, North America gets it before Japan? Weird. That would be like Japan getting Halo 5 before America.

We got Twilight Princess before Japan.

ejamer, im glad the pro-MM fanboys at Zelda Informer were wrong in worshipping that unknown Spanish retailer. Besides MM not being a good game IMO, there was no chance of 2 Zelda remakes in a 3 month period. Plus, Aounuma said the 3DS would get a new Zelda game before they even considered any more remakes for it.

I'm not a big fan of ALTTP, it was OK. So i'm not that excited about this news (EarthBound coming to the North American Virtual Console is much bigger news to me), but im new games is never bad.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
Not really.  Zelda has slowly but surely been shifting to a series that is more believed in the West.

The general art style is a little to clayie for me and the Camera seems a little overly zoomed.  Still looks interesting but the Camera thing could stop me from getting it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
ejamer, im glad the pro-MM fanboys at Zelda Informer were wrong in worshipping that unknown Spanish retailer. Besides MM not being a good game IMO, there was no chance of 2 Zelda remakes in a 3 month period. Plus, Aounuma said the 3DS would get a new Zelda game before they even considered any more remakes for it.

Majora's Mask was certainly different and I can understand why some people wouldn't like it, but I liked it a lot. In fact I thought it was more interesting than Ocarina of Time. Unfortunately, timing has just never worked out that I could sit down and play through to the end on either the N64 or Virtual Console.

Hopefully a remake will still happen at some point in the future - that way the people who want it will be happy, and those who don't can play this cool new Zelda game instead. Everyone wins!
NNID: ejamer

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
I just thought Majora's Mask was boring, and the 3-day time limit killed any chance of exploration.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
The title (Link to the Past 2) lacks creativity, but I still came. Besides Zelda II, the games have never been numbered.

I was hoping a new 2D Zelda would use sprites, but I'm not upset. This is awesome news.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »
The title (Link to the Past 2) lacks creativity, but I still came Besides Zelda II, the games have never been numbered.

I was hoping a new 2D Zelda would use sprites, but I'm not upset. This is awesome news.

That sounds weird coming from a gamer...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
It didn't sound weird coming from your mom.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
Lame. Anyways I really hope Anagnim comes back as the villain.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »
If there's normal controls (they can keep the crappy touchscreen controls as an option if they want), then I'll get this when I buy a 3DS for Pokemon X/Y.  But if it plays like the DS games I won't.  Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda game I don't own and it's because Phantom Hourglass's controls drove me up the wall.  I was seriously figuring that crappy touchscreen controls were the future of 2D Zelda.  If this controls normally then it's great that Nintendo doesn't feel the need to force the touchscreen when it isn't needed.  The 3DS has lots of options and features and Nintendo should be confident in that.  Flexibility is a great selling point, forced usage is not.  The value is that the touchscreen is there if you need it.  Both the 3DS and Wii U have lots of control options and the wide variety of OPTIONS is the great thing there.

Realistically I felt like Minish Cap was pretty much like playing A Link to the Past 2.  LttP ain't just some Zelda game, it is arguably THE Zelda game.  Associating a new title directly with it really raises expectations and Nintendo better understand that.  This will not be able to get away with being merely a decent Zelda game.  Because it directly references an earlier title I can't help but wonder if this is going to be New Legend of Zelda.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »
You know what I just noticed? This isn't WW Link or any of his latest 3D console designes, this Link looks like classic Link from the first few games.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »
I noticed that too when I watched the short clip. I wouldn't have minded the game using Wind Waker art since it suits the 2D Zelda, especially after Four Swords Adventures. The colors could stand to be a bit more vibrant like Wind Waker. They look kind of drab.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
The colors look drab? It looks like the exact palette from the SNES game.

I'm so surprised at all the negativity coming from this board post-Direct. I thought you guys would be more excited.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.