Author Topic: 2010 NHL Playoff thread of upsets  (Read 6870 times)

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
2010 NHL Playoff thread of upsets
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:24:38 AM »
Seriously, how about them series openers? You've got Ottawa beating Pittsburgh, Montreal beating Washington, Buffalo beating Boston, Colorado beats San Jose (the only one I called) and Phoenix beating Detroit. Now I'm sitting here watching Ian's Canuck's losing their grip in a 2 all game against Los Angeles. I love playoff hockey, everybody is trying so hard that anything can happen.

Come now, I want to hear predictions about who will take home Lord Stanley and arguments about whether Crosby is better than Ovechkin and blind accusations about how the Sharks will never win because Joe Thornton can't figure it out in the playoffs. I'm not completely surprised that nobody is talking about this, but come on! It's playoff hockey! It's great!
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 NHL Playoff thread of upsets
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:34:16 AM »
I'm a huge Sharks fan, so as you can imagine I'm prepared the worst, and have put myself into a bunker mentality.

I expect nothing from them, honestly.  The way they lost game 1 didn't surprise me in the least.  Scored on with less than a minute left off of Rob Blake's skate?  Sure!  Why not?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:37:26 AM »
Don't forget my Flyers beating New Jersey. The defense kept giving them chances, but Boucher was playing out of his mind; if he plays like that the whole playoffs we'll win the cup. You've gotta love playoff hockey, and the Flyers being competitive and Washington being beatable gets me even more excited.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:58:55 AM »
Washington being beatable?  Try Washington being BEATEN.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:59:56 AM »
Ah yes I forgot about the Flyers. To be fair though, I always thought that would be a close series so it didn't register as much of an upset to me. Neither did the Buffalo Boston game, but it was right in front of me at the time so I put it in there. If the Flyers can get out of the series quick then they'll fare much better in the next round. It's going to be a physical series against the Devils and a long series will be draining on anyone who comes out into the next round.

I think that I would like to see a rematch of last years cup final, if only because it was so good last year. On the other hand I would like to see a Canadian team go to the finals so I pull for Vancouver because I'm from Toronto and I hate Ottawa. HOWEVER, I'm also pulling for the LA Kings because of Wayne Simmonds, who I used to play with when we were 13-15. I decided to get an education, he's playing in the NHL.... I hope he does well though, it's cool to see someone you know.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »
I'd love to see the Habs go to the Cup again just for old time's sake.  Either the Habs or Toronto, just because T.O. would go absolutely berserk if Toronto even came close to making the playoffs, let alone playing for the Cup.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:05:34 AM »
Yeah, I don't think the leafs thing will happen for a while, but when it does, I'll be downtown in the think of it. Unless of course I'm eighty years old, which is possible. I'm a leafs fan, but I'm not an idiot, I know they're bad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 01:22:34 AM »
Washington being beatable?  Try Washington being BEATEN.

I know, I was saying that Washington losing proves that it is possible to beat them, something that I didn't think would happen this early in the tournament. If Montreal can beat them then anyone still playing Philadelphia, next round can beat them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
Now I'm sitting here watching Ian's Canuck's losing their grip in a 2 all game against Los Angeles.

How long after you posted this did the Canucks score the game winner in overtime? :)  Craziest thing was Luongo getting his stick caught in his pads but not giving up and sweeping his glove to keep out a puck on the goal line.  There was concern about his recent play but if he's going to make mega saves like that I think we're fine.  Though LA's Quick had some awesome saves too.  It's not going to be easy.

Buffalo and Vancouver are the only teams that I figured would win their first round matchup that won the first game (though we still have to see what Chicago does).  The Sharks loss just deflated the crowd.  Those fans have no tolerance anymore.  When the Avs scored that goal with like 30 seconds left you just got this "we're fucked" vibe from the crowd.  It's only one game but the reaction was like they had been eliminated right then.

Here in BC there is a lot of Canuck fever right now.  There's serious expectations to win the cup since Henrik Sedin just got the Art Ross trophy.  A lot of Canucks are having career seasons.  My expectations of them are to just make it to the final four.  They made it to the second round last year, making it to the third this year would give us hope for next year.  You don't have to win every year but at least look like you COULD win every year.

All three Canadian teams won their first game.  CBC must like that!

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:01:53 PM »
I only caught the Sharks and the Penguins games yesterday, but they were fantastic. Sharks win in OT after having two tying goals called back and finally tying it up in the dying seconds of the game. How about that Galiardi for Colorado. The Pens game was amazing too, and Crosby is an animal.

I'm curious Jon, why do you like the Sharks? I've never been able to be into them, but I also really don't like Thornton.

If they weren't going up against my old team mate, I would be pulling for Vancouver all the way. I think they have a reasonable chance this year (I thought they did last year too, but they're in even better shape this year) but I think they're going to have a tough time against Chicago. The Sedin's are really out of control, but the Black Hawks are going to hit anything that moves.

Washington and Vancouver are playing tonight, so it's going to be more good hockey. Did I mention that I love playoffs.

Offline iDraTion

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
GO FLYERS!!! And I love the attempt to evade the jinxing gods, apparently it worked.  Boucher's been playing well, but the loss of Carter and Gagne is gonna hurt, and hopefully Laperriere is fine.  Laminar blood flow coming out of the face is never good.

Caps are gonna be tough, but I thought we played the Pens pretty tight the last two years.  We got some great potential, real potent offense, we just needed to improve on defense, which certainly looks like we have already in the post-season.  Penalty killing's been great too.  Kovalchuk is no Ovechkin, but we did well shutting him down thoroughly.  Let's hope the Habs force a game 6 tonight.

Good to see some hockey fans on here; hockey's gotta have the best post-season of any sport out there. 

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »
Yeah, that Kovalchuk trade wasn't such a hot move by Jersey in the longrun, eh?

Canucks play tonight.  The other night I went in feeling no optimism and just kind of dreading the game.  And it was a hard game to watch.  I kept switching from "YES! YES! YES!" to "NO! NO! NO!" as they would tie it and then go down again.  But they played really well when they made the comeback.  We got some great saves from Luongo and Sedin just deciding "**** it, we need a goal" and just going out a get one is that sort of playoff leader stuff you want from your top guys.  I'm actually looking forward to tonight's game since the series is tied again.  Let's hope we can play like last game's third period for the whole game.

Still nervous about the penalty kill though.  For a while it was like a Canuck penalty was an instant goal for LA.

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »
That disallowed goal by Daniel Sedin was a terrible call. And yeah, Canucks have got to get their **** together on PK. I won't be able to see the game tonight which is too bad because it's going to be a good one. Luongo is taking a lot of flak, but I think he's been playing pretty well, that big save was really a game breaker.

Kovalchuck is still a good trade for the devils. Their top scorers just disappeared in the playoffs, like Marty said, they never elevated their level of play and you can't win in the post season unless you do.

Also I'm glad that this thread got revived.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
Yeah, I can understand why people would call the Devils stupid for making that trade, but the reason they lost is because they couldn't score.  So maybe trading for one of the top 10 scorers in the league wasn't so crazy...

Well I lost 4 players in my pool last night, and I've basically lost both my goalies so I'm toast.  Unless the Caps light it up through the finals, that is.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »
Yeah, I can understand why people would call the Devils stupid for making that trade, but the reason they lost is because they couldn't score.  So maybe trading for one of the top 10 scorers in the league wasn't so crazy...

My basic logic is that if you're going to pay for a rental player, it has to produce results.  Now not everyone who gets a rental each year is going to win the cup since only one team can.  But you should contend.  The Devils didn't need Kovalchuk to lose in the first round.  You don't need anyone to do that.  It's a hindsight thing but if you take that risk and not go deep, it's a real waste.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
If they'd been lucky enough to face someone else they might have done better; the Flyers have had the Devils' number all season.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
My love affair with the Sharks was more of a reaction against everybody else's love affair with the 1992-1993 Leafs than anything else.  I couldn't stand that team with old-ass Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, and goon-squad Tie Domi.  Everybody that crapped all over the Leafs in the 80's hopped on the bandwagon, so I became surrounded by obnoxious Leafs fans.  I had followed hockey as a kid and was an Oilers fan back then (who wasn't), but I hadn't followed it for most of my childhood.  My high school buddies got me back into it, but I didn't really have a "favorite" team, so I picked the complete polar opposite of the Leafs: the Sharks.  Their first few years in the league they were AWFUL, but it didn't bother me.  My loyalty was assured when they started sticking it to Detroit in the playoffs.  As a side note, Joe Thornton also happens to hail from my home town of London, Ontario, so that's one more reason for me to be a fan.

It was good to see the Sharks pound the Avalanche in game 5, but I've seen this before.  I have hope, but as a jaded Sharks fan here's what I expect.

(First, let me say that I called the fact that the Sharks would win big in game 5.  That was their "make you think they have it back on track" game, that lulls you into a false sense of security before their ultimate odds-defying failure drops you into the soul-crushing abyss of disappointment).

Game 6: Hard-fought game that will be 1-1 at the end of regulation.  It will go into double overtime, and the Sharks will lose on some flukey goal from a no-name Colorado player.  This will immediately have everybody buzzing about the "up-and-coming" Avalanche, including profiles on their "scrappy" young players who "don't know enough to know they shouldn't be here".

Game 7: Everybody expects some epic showdown, but instead it's 4-0 Colorado after the first period.  Nabakov is pulled, and Griess starts the second period.  The Sharks buckle down and score a couple of goals to make it 4-2 - again, making you think that they might have a shot - but eventually succumb to an empty-net goal at the end of regulation for a 5-2 dream-killing final.  And again, some "up-and-coming", "scrappy" Avalanche player who "doesn't know enough to know he shouldn't be there" gets a hat trick.  This ensures that a lengthy video montage of said Shark-killing hat trick will be played every time his name is mentioned in subsequent series over the course of the playoffs, and will thus repeatedly drive the bitterness and sheer lunacy of the Sharks' first-round defeat through the hearts of Sharks fans everywhere over the next two months.  And then at the end of the playoffs when they show that "Wow, that was an amazing playoffs" video montage, the hat trick will be shown one more time, just to snuff out any leftover hope Sharks fans might have had.  And I'll probably see it next year too, making the cycle of hatred complete.

But I'm not bitter.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:01:09 PM by NWR_Lindy »
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 02:31:39 AM »
I hate to say it, but that sounds surprisingly realistic...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »
Truly epic collapse by the Capitals; maybe my friend's onto something when he talks about the curse of the President's Trophy. Bring on the Bruins!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
I hope this Ovechkin vs. Crosby debate is officially DONE.  And I used to think Ovechkin was the better player and he certainly has a more entertaining personality.  But Crosby led his team to the finals, lost, and then brought them back to the finals the next year and won. He scored the Gold Medal winning goal while Ovechkin's Russian team didn't even medal.  The Pens beat the Caps in a playoff series last year and now we see the Pens moving on to the next round while the Caps are upset.  You can point out that Crosby has found success on a great team but Ovechkin's teams in both the NHL and the Olympics have been great as well.  But Sid's teams have gotten the results that matter and Ovie's haven't.  At this point it's pretty damn easy to say who has had the better career.

The Caps losing has not helped my playoff pool though.  Fucking Semin totally disappeared and now he's eliminated after only getting me two points!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 02:40:27 AM »
This is what I get for not being around too much. I totally missed this thread. Oh well, I'll just quickly chime in a couple points. Thank you Canadians for making an easy trip to the finals for the Penguins. I really thought the Pens and Capitals would have to face each other in the Conference Finals and really wasn't sure how that series would turn out. The Capitals seem to play a lot differently when facing the Penguins. They seem to care a lot more for those games. At this point, I expect a Pittsburgh/Boston conference final with Pittsburgh having the edge.

It's interesting. Boston hasn't really changed much from last year aside from a different goalie. They were expected to be dominant this year like last year because of it but it didn't happen. Know they are getting healthier and playing more like it was expected. Now it looks like they are going to have the playoff run they should have had last year. Of course, it helps that Philly is hurting right now as well.

In the west, I'm expecting a Sharks/Canucks Conference final with the Canucks moving on. Most people weren't picking the Sharks to win the cup and expect them to choke like usual but I had a feeling this might be the year they do break through. Of course, the Red Wings are going to be a very difficult oppenent and with Heatley hurt, Marleau sick and Thornton still staying quiet, it might not happen. That topline is like a bomb missing the timer. It's going to go off one of these years when no one expects it and just storm the playoffs. It's like A-Rod. He went something like 5 or 6 years without producing in the playoffs and then last year, it finally happened and his play helped propel the Yankees to a World Series. Maybe it's going to be another year yet for that topline. And with that line hurting, I'm giving the edge to Vancouver.

So far, they've shown they are not going to quit with some come from behind victories and their topline is playing at a new level this year and Luongo seems determined to make up for last year and I think the Olympics gave him a big boost of confidence again as well. I have to say I'm actually happy for the Canucks with regards to the Sedins. With their contracts expiring last year and people not really sure what would happen, it's great that Vancouver was able to resign them and that Henrik then went on to have his best career year and lead the team like he has. Often, a team will lose players like that in free agency or they don't live up to the contracts but it all worked out great this year for them. It doesn't happen to often so it's great for the fans.

If it is a Canucks/Penguins final, I'm really not sure who comes out on top. The one game they played this year is no indication either. Pittsburgh had to play their third goalie and after about 4 goals they put in a goalie with a one-game tryout contract. So, it will be a brave new world. Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself but I'd like to call it now and see what happens.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 03:07:38 AM »
We may have lost Carter and Gagne, but don't give the series to Boston just yet.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 03:43:10 AM »
True enough. Philly did overcome the two goal deficit to send it to overtime so there is definitely fight left in them.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »
So were the Canadiens making things easy this afternoon?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »
I had given up on the Flyers' season when they went down 3-0, but now it's 3-2, and I'm beginning to believe we may just show Boston fans what it's like to be on the other side of coming back from 3 down.

J.P. Corbran