Author Topic: 3DS MAJOR price drop incoming + tons of free games for early adopters?  (Read 38584 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I will be picking up a 3DS tomorrow evening.

I will be getting it online & registered tomorrow nite.

I will be getting my price guarantee in no less than 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
A lot of mainstream websites were reporting the news too, not just gaming sites.

Well, I've seen lots of stuff about the price drop, but I haven't seen too many non-game outlets report on the ambassador program.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline GaMMa

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
I remember waking up and the price drop was the first story I read. I was thinking this was some kind of April Fool's joke or something. Then I saw we're getting 20 free games and I thought it was too good to be true.

I think Nintendo has a lot of work ahead of them to make this console successful. The mainstream media is blaming "poor" sales on iPhone and Android games. As far as I can tell Nintendo hasn't officially acknowledged these games are a threat. I could see the handheld gaming market going the way of cameras and MP3 players. The market is going to continue to shrink as more people get smartphones. If Nintendo made a console that could answer phone calls I think they'd see great success in America.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
I remember waking up and the price drop was the first story I read. I was thinking this was some kind of April Fool's joke or something. Then I saw we're getting 20 free games and I thought it was too good to be true.

I think Nintendo has a lot of work ahead of them to make this console successful. The mainstream media is blaming "poor" sales on iPhone and Android games. As far as I can tell Nintendo hasn't officially acknowledged these games are a threat. I could see the handheld gaming market going the way of cameras and MP3 players. The market is going to continue to shrink as more people get smartphones. If Nintendo made a console that could answer phone calls I think they'd see great success in America.

Before NIntendo starts freaking out over the smartphone industry, they should address the 3DS's biggest problem now, games. Even the DS had a couple exclusive/non-remakes come out for it shortly after launch. I think it is really jumping the gun to blame it on the mobile market, especially considering how well the DS is still selling and has sold. Let's face it until the mobile market has decent controls for traditional games (aka not touch screen controls) there will always be a reason to pick up a handheld like PSP Vita or 3DS. I love my iPhone 4 but it is far from being a replacement for handheld systems, it is great for more casual games but if I want to play a traditional game, the 3DS/DS will win everytime and I doubt I'm the only one.

It is strange people keep on harping on the mobile market being the problem when the DS/PSP were still seeing good sales even up to a couple of months ago. That indicates people still want handhelds like that, and that there is another problem that needs to be addressed with 3DS, which is, as said before games, especially since the other concern by some, price, was addressed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:16:27 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
I hope there's a DSi XL price drop on the horizon, I still play plenty ds and have tons of games on my backlog :D

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
I hope there's a DSi XL price drop on the horizon, I still play plenty ds and have tons of games on my backlog :D

I doubt it, because at this point Nintendo would want to convert potential DSi sales to 3DS sales especially with how 3DS is going to be $20 more than a DSi and the same price as an XL. It's more critical for Nintendo to grow the 3DS user base, and for consumers they esentially get the best of both worlds since 99% of all DSiWare is available on 3DS.

Also, at this point a DSi is not worth buying unless you're in the camp of how DS and DSi games played on 3DS look "worse" than they are when played on a DSi/DSi XL. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:53:02 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
unless you're in the camp of how DS and DSi games played on 3DS look "worse" than they are when played on a DSi/DSi XL.

yeah thats basically the reason why im still looking at a dsi XL, I have big hands so the ds lite gives me cramps

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS MAJOR price drop incoming + tons of free games for early adopters?
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »
It'd be a bad idea to keep the DSi XL price the same as the 3DS. Nintendo is already having a tough enough time differentiating the 3DS from the DS/i, so selling them at the same price doesn't illustrate the superiority of the 3DS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
Amazon has the 3DS available right now for $216, so you could get almost half the price drop and still get the 20 free games.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Cosmo-Black/dp/B002I096AA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312206106&sr=8-4
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »
If the goal is to get more 3DS's out into people hands I would not drop the prices of any of the DS's further.  I also lower my outgoing supply to them to retailer making it harder for people to find a DS.  Just phase the whole DS line out since the 3DS has BC.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
It'd be a bad idea to keep the DSi XL price the same as the 3DS. Nintendo is already having a tough enough time differentiating the 3DS from the DS/i, so selling them at the same price doesn't illustrate the superiority of the 3DS.

It'd be a fun, if expensive, experiment, though: with price being equal, what is the real-world level of demand for the 3DS vis-a-vis its predecessor?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
If the 3DS can do everything that the DSi can do plus more, then there may not be a reason to keep it on the market. The only reason would be to offer a model at a lower price, but if they are not going to do that, then there's no reason to keep the DSi on the market. The DS Lite can play GBA games, but at this point that probably doesn't mean anything to potential buyers. There's a rumour that production has stopped on the DS Lite, and I haven't seen any in a while so it may be true, but it isn't confirmed.

Amazon has the 3DS available right now for $216, so you could get almost half the price drop and still get the 20 free games.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Cosmo-Black/dp/B002I096AA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312206106&sr=8-4
*stomps foot*

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »
I saw a DS Lite at Walmart today, along with a big sticker on the case advertising the current price after they lowered it a couple of months ago. They kept making the GBA SP for a few years after the DS came out, and it kept selling really well. The DSi still sells well, so they may not want to drop it yet.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:52 PM »
Yeah, it could be risky to drop the DS line, but Nintendo really wants to (and kind of needs to) get the 3DS userbase up. Since the 3DS offers everything the DSi can do plus so much more, would anyone not buy a 3DS who wanted a DSi but they're not available anymore? It'd be a bit of an aggressive move, but it could help spur 3DS sales further.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
It could backfire though. When Sega launched the Saturn in 1995 (1994 in Japan), they killed support for the Genesis despite the fact that it was still selling well. It would be a gutsy move, but could end up costing them money. Maybe reduce the price and have it marketed it as a secondary system. I would always recommend someone get a 3DS instead though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2011, 01:15:45 AM »
When Sega launched the Saturn in 1995 (1994 in Japan), they killed support for the Genesis despite the fact that it was still selling well. It would be a gutsy move, but could end up costing them money. Maybe reduce the price and have it marketed it as a secondary system.
That's not really a fair comparison though, particularly since the Saturn was not backwards compatible. And they did relaunch the Genesis as a secondary system, in a way -- the Sega Nomad.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »
Got my 3DS from Best Buy..... $270 After tax!? I almost returned it 5 minutes later....

I can only imagine the people that brought it up to the counter and saw the total and then took it back to the shelf and left the store. I contemplated buying a game too, but I think I'm tapped and will wait or a sale and my free games instead.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:12 AM »
I'm hoping Target has another one of those buy 2 games, get 1 free deals like they did last year.

I played around with the 3DS a bit today. The battery life pretty much sucks out loud. I flat-out asked the guy in the games department how the price matching policy works and he said if Nintendo drops the price, Best Buy has to honor it though I may end up with a Best Buy gift card which is fine, I was planning on buying my new phone from Best Buy anyway. Yeah, I'm exploiting the system. I'm okay with it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2011, 02:06:21 AM »
I posed it to them as a hypothetical question

"If I bought a.... Sony Bluray player, and then 2 weeks later Sony dropped the price of that Bluray player $60 everywhere, would you make up the difference?"

He said they would honor it within 30 days, so I bought it.
(My sister, who works @ BB, already confirmed it for me last week, but a second opinion never hurts)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »
I posed it to them as a hypothetical question

"If I bought a.... Sony Bluray player, and then 2 weeks later Sony dropped the price of that Bluray player $60 everywhere, would you make up the difference?"

He said they would honor it within 30 days, so I bought it.
(My sister, who works @ BB, already confirmed it for me last week, but a second opinion never hurts)
Alright,

1.  I heard back in the day BB workers had a generous discount.
2.  I watch Toys R' US because they are fond of Buy one Get One Half off
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
1. Best Buy's "generous" employee discount ended on Sunday.
Most employees no longer have the only perk of working there and now have little reason for dropping their right back into the store.

2. I'm waiting for that TRU sale. Amazon just had one, but the selection was limited to crap.
Once a nice sale starts, Amazon will usually match it. The best part is when all the stores stagger their sales and Amazon does their best to match it, but Amazon has to start charging tax in CA soon, so I don't know if I'm still gonna go the Amazon route unless it's still cheaper.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
The relevant law already went into effect last month, but Amazon shut down their associates program in California to continue avoiding paying/charging CA tax.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »
Alright then, I can continue not paying tax and getting free shipping from Amazon.
All is still good in the world of online shopping.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
I feel messed over because I think I had to pay taxes on my last few Amazon purchases.

Ah ha.  They didn't.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:03:02 PM by Ceric »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
Technically you are still required to pay those sales taxes. The only difference is you pay them on your tax return at the end of the year instead of directly to Amazon. I am not sure how many people get in trouble for not doing it though. And California is already working on changing the law to make Amazon have to collect sales tax because they ship products to California (so they still do business in the state).