Author Topic: Not a hater but... (future prediction)  (Read 101735 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Not a hater but... (future prediction)
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 07:03:46 AM »
Who takes 4-5 hours to commute?

If I'm moving I'll probably go past 300 outlets in4-5 hours. Malls, Airports, and bus stations even have charging spots now.

I'm going to spend most of my time playing it docked, and if I'm out and about there is going to be an outlet to plug it into.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:13:57 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 07:13:25 AM »
Who takes 4-5 hours to commute?

Who suggested anyone takes 4-5 hours to commute?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »
The battery supposedly has a life of 4-5 hours. Complaining about not having the battery last, and how that will ruin it as a system for commuters suggests that people need to have it for 4-5 hours for commuting.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:27:21 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
It suggests the thing constantly needs charging, which is an added hassle. Here's the Switch on the go, remember to charge it, put it in its protective case so it doesn't get scratched put the case in a bag because it's too big to go in a pocket. OK, now on the bus, unzip your bag, reach in and take your Switch case out, now take out the Switch and boot it up, great, now I can sit and play on this thing that's the size of a box of chocolates for 15 minutes until it's my stop, then put it back in its case, put that back in my bag and off I go, simple! ... OR, OR, check this out, I just reach into my pocket pull out my phone, [tap, tap], i'm playing a game, here's my stop? [tap], it's back in my pocket.

You are living in a fantasy world if you think people are going to choose the Switch over a phone to game on the go.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 08:05:34 AM »
Finding an outlet in densely populated northeast cities isn't easy (especially if you aren't purchasing something) and it's also an area where commuting could be affected by battery life. It doesn't take much to wrack up an hour or more each way on public transit between waiting and actual travel. If the Switch battery also precipitously loses its charge when not in use like the 3DS battery, you could run into a problem on the way home. Many people work in professions in which adult video gaming is looked down upon, or in communal locations without plugs for employee use, or insecure environments, or with employers who don't allow electronic devices, or are frequently out in the field during the work day, etc., so workday re-charging is legitimately not an option for many people.

I frankly don't know enough about the industry to know if the 4-5 hour battery life will impact the success of the device but I do think it will impact a broad class of consumers. However, since the problem already exists for many of these same people, they probably already have portable power banks. I typically carry separate banks for my phone and 3DS. They may need to upgrade their banks though. I was able to get away with dollar store ones until I got the 6+ and 3DS.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 08:11:53 AM »
It suggests the thing constantly needs charging, which is an added hassle. Here's the Switch on the go, remember to charge it, put it in its protective case so it doesn't get scratched put the case in a bag because it's too big to go in a pocket. OK, now on the bus, unzip your bag, reach in and take your Switch case out, now take out the Switch and boot it up, great, now I can sit and play on this thing that's the size of a box of chocolates for 15 minutes until it's my stop, then put it back in its case, put that back in my bag and off I go, simple! ... OR, OR, check this out, I just reach into my pocket pull out my phone, [tap, tap], i'm playing a game, here's my stop? [tap], it's back in my pocket.

You are living in a fantasy world if you think people are going to choose the Switch over a phone to game on the go.

For me it would depend on the length of the trip and whether I had a seat. You are probably correct about a lot of environments, but in others, like waiting at a station, Amtrak, or on a bus with front facing seats, whipping out the Switch should be as easy as using a tablet.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »

I know what you're saying, but 15 minutes is a decent chunk of time. It's damn near a full episode of Seinfeld. Furthermore, would you not play while waiting for the bus?

I commute with the metro and it takes roughly 30 minutes to get into the city. Playing a Switch would be a significant time-waster.

Still, I get your point. It's not as portable as a 3DS or your phone. However, I think people will understand that despite  it being a bit cumbersome, it solves two problems at once.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:34 AM »

If the game is really compelling, you wouldn't bother with the phone game. I had a game gear, which had the SHORTEST battery life. It was also cumbersome, but I carried a back pack. I used to carry it around everywhere and play strategy RPGs. It was great to have on vacation. If you get 4-5 hours then you're not going to worry about your battery being drained in the middle of play. Most game sections are not that long. As I was saying, there will be outlets, but you probably wouldn't rely on them. The only way you're going to have a problem with the battery is if you're homeless.

Also,I have a tablet that is the exact same dimensions as the switch tablet. It fits in my pocket. Note: I don't wear skinny jeans. I have room in my pockets for a phone, a wallet, keys, a ds, a tablet, a bunch of old receipts, movie tickets, and change. I also have room for jewels.

Also, unzipping the front pocket of this is not hard. You don't need a case.  But you could also fit it in the pocket too if you wanted one. Do you put your phone in a case before you put it in your pants pocket? No. IS that even an issue when you can get a screen protector? No.

With n64 and game cube I used to lug that over to friends houses. Now we have advanced consoles we can take anywhere. We can play online, or if I'm at a party we can play locally. I think people are underestimating the multiplayer aspects of it too.

Well before Pokemon GO came out, when I was in college I used to take my original DS around with me. If I saw someone with a DS we'd play Mario Kart. If It was lunchtime or during my breaks I'd connect to the wifi and play online. The DS came out in 2004. iPhone's were not out until 2007. When the DS came out the only things using Wifi was laptops and DS. Thinking about it. Mario Kart Switch is going to be GIGANTIC. Even if someone doesn't have a switch they can still play. That's nuts. Splatoon and Smash bros will be big too.

During Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, when I was waiting in line and then waiting (like 45minutes) for the movie to start once I was seated, we played Pictochat and Mario 64 with some strangers.

I predict one of the reasons Breath of the Wild took so long, and Switch took so long is because Nintendo employees were goofing around and playing multi-player switch games. I'm thinking about it. This might be the next Goldeneye for multiplayer.

Can you imagine if the systems came with Mario Kart?

We're all worried about Nintendo making us buy Mario Kart all over again, but what if that game was the pack in? That would automatically sell Switches. Someone comes around to a party, plops their switch down on a table "hey you want to play switch?" "sure" boots up mario kart 2player mode. Fun is had. "I want one"
Person buys one. You guys play again. But this time you got your own screens. Still 2 more people want to play.The cycle continues. You got 12 people playing.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:39 AM »
To be fair, the same people who play games on their cell phone are NOT the same people who would buy a DS or a GBA anyways. I mean they just aren't.
It like how the people who do all their TV on Netflix aren't buying Blu Ray discs. It's two different types of consumers.
But kids drive the market, 3DS was priced a little high but it still sold well to kids and families would love to have more gaming options that keep the TV free and ways to spend time together. This will be huge based on that aspect alone. All that takes is the right price and the right game.
Playstation is entirely different it's billed as an ultimate gamer machine, it does everything a hard core gamer wants and any casuals that pick it up are just icing to Sony. Same for Xbox. Nintendo caters to a different market and Switch looks like it can really cater well to their largest userbase and still appeal to the ultra hard cores who have to own everything and those that like Nintendo but want more than just a handful of games.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »

If the game is really compelling, you wouldn't bother with the phone game. I had a game gear, which had the SHORTEST battery life. It was also cumbersome, but I carried a back pack. I used to carry it around everywhere and play strategy RPGs. It was great to have on vacation. If you get 4-5 hours then you're not going to worry about your battery being drained in the middle of play. Most game sections are not that long. As I was saying, there will be outlets, but you probably wouldn't rely on them. The only way you're going to have a problem with the battery is if you're homeless.

Also,I have a tablet that is the exact same dimensions as the switch tablet. It fits in my pocket. Note: I don't wear skinny jeans. I have room in my pockets for a phone, a wallet, keys, a ds, a tablet, a bunch of old receipts, movie tickets, and change. I also have room for jewels.

Also, unzipping the front pocket of this is not hard. You don't need a case.  But you could also fit it in the pocket too if you wanted one. Do you put your phone in a case before you put it in your pants pocket? No. IS that even an issue when you can get a screen protector? No.

With n64 and game cube I used to lug that over to friends houses. Now we have advanced consoles we can take anywhere. We can play online, or if I'm at a party we can play locally. I think people are underestimating the multiplayer aspects of it too.

Well before Pokemon GO came out, when I was in college I used to take my original DS around with me. If I saw someone with a DS we'd play Mario Kart. If It was lunchtime or during my breaks I'd connect to the wifi and play online. The DS came out in 2004. iPhone's were not out until 2007. When the DS came out the only things using Wifi was laptops and DS. Thinking about it. Mario Kart Switch is going to be GIGANTIC. Even if someone doesn't have a switch they can still play. That's nuts. Splatoon and Smash bros will be big too.

During Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, when I was waiting in line and then waiting (like 45minutes) for the movie to start once I was seated, we played Pictochat and Mario 64 with some strangers.

I predict one of the reasons Breath of the Wild took so long, and Switch took so long is because Nintendo employees were goofing around and playing multi-player switch games. I'm thinking about it. This might be the next Goldeneye for multiplayer.

Can you imagine if the systems came with Mario Kart?

We're all worried about Nintendo making us buy Mario Kart all over again, but what if that game was the pack in? That would automatically sell Switches. Someone comes around to a party, plops their switch down on a table "hey you want to play switch?" "sure" boots up mario kart 2player mode. Fun is had. "I want one"
Person buys one. You guys play again. But this time you got your own screens. Still 2 more people want to play.The cycle continues. You got 12 people playing.

Geez, reading this got me all hypeHypeHYPE!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 06:05:09 PM »
To be fair, the same people who play games on their cell phone are NOT the same people who would buy a DS or a GBA anyways. I mean they just aren't.

The people who play games on their cell phones WERE the same people who would buy a DS or GBA. I remember how it would be common place to see a DS or a GBA on the tube, now dedicated consoles have been 99% replaced by phones.
This is quite a weird place to discuss this because it's such a pro-Nintendo echo chamber. It reminds of when Kimishima was interviewed by the Wall Street journal shortly after the Switch announcement. They asked him why he thought Nintendo's shares had dropped 8% following the reveal and he had no answer. He was genuinely baffled. These people really can't see the problems ahead and are doomed to make similar mistakes that they did with the Wii U. The future of mobile gaming IS mobile phones. If Nintendo wanted to do well in the mobile market they should release a bluetooth controller for $20 that holds the phone and distribute games that way. Yes they have to give a slice of the profits to Apple/Android but at least there's profits to share. This will not be a widely used portable gaming console, so what does that leave? An underpowered home console with added manufacturing costs and weak third party support. Wake up people! The breadcrumbs are so close together on this one, how can you not see the way this is going to go?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 06:59:47 PM »

Stockholders know even less about video games than girl gamers. They only care about making money right this instant; the lack of price, launch titles, or release date could just as easily be attributed to the stock drop. However, aside from the Pokemon GO explosion in July, it's still the highest it's been in 6 years. Mobile games are for the toilet. Get N or get off the pot.
#LuigiDudeTruthBomb
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 08:54:40 PM »
Yes, your phone should be able to play good games. Unfortunately, phones can't do that, and we still live in a world where even PC users have to optimize their device to play games at their highest settings. This is the reason consoles still have a place in the market- the software developed on them SHOULD be optimized for the console. This is why emulators still have trouble playing certain games from the fifth generation.

On the other hand, however, the truly portable (or very old) consoles can be emulated on PC, because they were designed to be simplistic and single-purpose devices. Phones need to be able to do a number of things, and that's why it will be a while before mobile gaming encapsulates the entire gaming market. This is why, eventually, Nintendo will have to consider making a mobile device that plays their games if they want to keep their titles exclusive. What the Switch does, however, is two very important things- it will have a strong lineup of console-sized games that can be taken other places, and it also has the ability to have more than one person share in the gaming without owning the device.

The third thing that the Switch could do to massively increase its appeal is dock with other home devices universally. If I can take my Switch with Mario Kart or Smash over to my friend's house and he has the necessary controllers but not the game, we have effectively shared our library, since I can simply plug my Switch into his dock and play all my games.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »
The third thing that the Switch could do to massively increase its appeal is dock with other home devices universally. If I can take my Switch with Mario Kart or Smash over to my friend's house and he has the necessary controllers but not the game, we have effectively shared our library, since I can simply plug my Switch into his dock and play all my games.

That has been rumored and I hope it's true.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 10:36:27 PM »

Stockholders know even less about video games than girl gamers. They only care about making money right this instant; the lack of price, launch titles, or release date could just as easily be attributed to the stock drop. However, aside from the Pokemon GO explosion in July, it's still the highest it's been in 6 years. Mobile games are for the toilet. Get N or get off the pot.
#LuigiDudeTruthBomb

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:45 AM »
I just watched the Jimmy Fallon clip. My first impression is that it will be easier to use on the go than the 3DS. It looks like you will be able to tuck your elbows in while you are playing and rest your hands in your lap. The 3DS is much more comfortable to use with armrests.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »
... The future of mobile gaming IS mobile phones. If Nintendo wanted to do well in the mobile market they should release a bluetooth controller for $20 that holds the phone and distribute games that way. Yes they have to give a slice of the profits to Apple/Android but at least there's profits to share. This will not be a widely used portable gaming console, so what does that leave? An underpowered home console with added manufacturing costs and weak third party support. Wake up people! The breadcrumbs are so close together on this one, how can you not see the way this is going to go?

Yes and no.

Gaming on mobile phones is still a very different landscape than dedicated gaming consoles.  The hardware is more expensive, offers less predictable performance for developers, and remains less kid-friendly.  The games have a huge, but mostly disengaged, potential audience who have been trained to pay extremely low prices for games - if they pay at all.  Your argument that Nintendo needs to move in that direction might be true, but the argument that they need to make the move now is (in my opinion) premature.

Nintendo is still sitting in a different niche, and I think they are comfortable with that choice at the moment - although there does seem to be shift coming in their approach.  It's hard to say how long they'll stay true to older ideas instead of looking to make a big switch in their business approach.  But for the short-term, dedicated gaming still makes sense: it's viable in the marketplace, and it's what their company has been built to do.
NNID: ejamer

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »

The people who play games on their cell phones WERE the same people who would buy a DS or GBA. I remember how it would be common place to see a DS or a GBA on the tube, now dedicated consoles have been 99% replaced by phones.
This is quite a weird place to discuss this because it's such a pro-Nintendo echo chamber. It reminds of when Kimishima was interviewed by the Wall Street journal shortly after the Switch announcement. They asked him why he thought Nintendo's shares had dropped 8% following the reveal and he had no answer. He was genuinely baffled. These people really can't see the problems ahead and are doomed to make similar mistakes that they did with the Wii U. The future of mobile gaming IS mobile phones. If Nintendo wanted to do well in the mobile market they should release a bluetooth controller for $20 that holds the phone and distribute games that way. Yes they have to give a slice of the profits to Apple/Android but at least there's profits to share. This will not be a widely used portable gaming console, so what does that leave? An underpowered home console with added manufacturing costs and weak third party support. Wake up people! The breadcrumbs are so close together on this one, how can you not see the way this is going to go?

No this isn't a pro-Nintendo chamber as you call it, it's a place where people of all walks who happen to enjoy Nintendo discuss the happenings of Nintendo.

Dude if you think I am some blind Nintendo fanboy you haven't been reading my comments AT ALL or you are too new here to know me. First I am NOT a Nintendo fanboy, I am not even pro-Nintendo as you call it. And newsflash, I game on my cell phone *AND* I DO NOT OWN a Nintendo handheld.

There might have been some overlap, as in there were people who were casual gamers that picked up a dedicated machine for HANDFUL of games, when the price was right, to play on the go. Those were a NICHE, small numbers, they were not the massive number of dedicated fans who buy dedicated hardware.

Those people migrated to cell phones, sure, but they were NOT a significant portion of the market at all. Now you keep quoting some Japanese executive from Japan, first mistake, assuming America is the same as Japan.

Second mistake you keep assuming we are all die hard ultra pro-Nintendo when we certainly are not. I have gone on record countless times not just criticizing but openly stating I have disdain for the N64, the Wii, and the Wii U. I have gone on record to call the 3DS and over priced machine that does not justify it's own existence, countless times.

The Switch is not the 3DS! That is your second mistake. It is a new console that does both, appeals to both.

Now I won't dig deep into this again but you are flat wrong, FLAT WRONG, when you say the countless masses of casual gamers that game exclusively and casually, usually sticking to one or two very simple games like Tetris, Candy Crush, or something along those lines, are the SAME massive numbers of people that picked up the GBA and the DS. They were a sub-set of that market. You want proof, look at the 3DS, it is tracking slightly below the GBA, it's about 15 million behind it, GBA was sold both at a time when cell phone games didn't even exist or were expensive, BTW the N-Gage was around then and in direct competition with GBA so...

Next the DS, okay the DS picked up a lot of those people sure but so did the Wii. Now many of those people, which you lump into ONE large homogenous group which is also false, there are lots of subsets of the larger market, maybe take a class in marketing and learn a little about demographics and the like before you lump everyone into two camps, pro-Nintendo dedicated gamers and everyone else. Ass.

Then, well the Switch is NOT a portable device first. It is a dedicated gaming TABLET that you can hook into your TV or take on the go , it is literally the first of its kind. There have been other devices that were similar, tablets that could connect to a TV and use controllers but this is the FIRST DEDICATED gaming tablet to be marketed to the masses for gamers of all markets, casuals and dedicated.

Finally, if I am PRO-Switch it is because I am anti-Nintendo. The thing is such a balls ass perfect product it will attract everyone, mark my damn words. As the gamer on here that HATED the N64, the Wii, the Wii U and the 3DS I can assure you that if *I* and everyone i know that thinks like *I* do, mostly heavy leaning Playstion fans, are excited for this thing, bet your ASS everyone else will be too.

I could break it down by demographic and audience but I won't, I will just say your flat wrong of your assessment and quoting what goes on in Japan is pointless, I don't live in Japan I don't give a **** what goes on there and if this thing sells well there, which it WILL, and it sells well here which I assume it will, then its going to be big.

HOW big is the question.

I stand by my prediciton of 90 million, that is roughly the size of the Nintendo fanbase, the entire united fanbase that includes kids who want a cheap gaming machine, hardcore fans that love their franchises, casual that only want one or two games (M) who get everything else they want on Playstation or Xbox, the moms that ate up the Wii, because they game on tablets doesn;t mean they want to game on a tablet, again PC gaming was big when everyone had a PC in their house, it has shrunk in some ways because people do their computing on the tablet, those that used the PC as a gaming/media device, did so because they had no alternative, those days are gone, now only people gaming on a PC are die hard PC gamers, which consequetly still make up enough MONEY even if not numbers, to matter.

Which takes me to what does matter. Soccer moms who buy a tablet do so out of necessity, they need a portable device with access to facebook and email that they can browse the web, mostly shopping amazon, pay bills and netflix, those moms do game on the tablet, because it's convenient. But they have kids, kids that one to game on the tablet too, so what does the mom do, buys her kid a 3DS, that kid is going to now be getting a Switch in stead. Game set and match, The RAT because I don't need your damn facts or opinions to win arguments I just go by my own gut observations and thats just how I roll. SO have fun not playing Switch when everyone you know will have two.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
Well, I think that's a bit of an over exaggeration.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2016, 01:27:09 PM »

#LuigiDudeTruthBomb

I wish he'd stuck with the thumbs down. It would have been funnier. It surprised when he first came out with an immediate thumbs down but no sooner was my brain registering that Miyamoto was actually dissing Jimmy when he began turning it to thumbs up and then it clicked that it was all just a joke. But I liked that shock I had at first that Miyamoto meant business.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
Also, I find it funny how Reggie is taking center stage and talking to Jimmy. Miyamoto gets a big introduction and they let him have a moment and even play with the band while Bill Trinen who is also there gets no introduction and is only allowed to just sit in the audience to translate for Miyamoto. He really is the Donny of the group.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:09:43 AM by Linkle Link »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2016, 07:00:56 PM »
The other thing about Bill is: Whenever corporate goes to visit he is the easiest one for them to talk to. They probably hang out with him.

Also, anyone who says this is a pro-nintendo echo chamber hasn't spent much time here on the off seasons. Many of us, are generally pretty pessimistic considering Nintendo's history. Myself, I'm more optimistic than usual, because I see for once they are doing a lot of things right. Nintendo does minor things completely wrong regularly, but it seems like they are on their A game.  Our resident pessimist Iansane is even more optimistic than normal. His big thing was Nintendo doing something really gimmicky that repels developers, but he saw this and was like "well, this is fairly practical". If Ian is optimistic, that's a good sign.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
The problem with mobile gaming with cell phones is that you need dedicated buttons and control sticks with more complicated games.  The more accessible input mechanics (buttons analog stick shoulder buttons) the more interesting games you can create.  But nobody wants that for their phone.  As an add on you can not design games expecting people to have that.  Even in the somewhat close ecosystem of the apple tablets and phones you still have to prepare your game for maximum backwards compatibility.  Android market is even harder.

Computer gaming is getting more accessible but it still isn't as easy as console gaming.  Console gaming a standard is there and if you have the system you know you can play the game.  The Switch is a mobile console, but it is also a home console.  If you never want to use it as a mobile device you don't have to.  However, you do have that option.  Also you have a better version of off screen play for playing at home when you only have 1 TV...so really is almost optimal as a at home console than a to go portable. 

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2016, 09:37:34 PM »
I agree with much of your post, but I'm coming at it a little differently. I anticipate spending very little time using the Switch in TV mode, but since TV-only consoles aren't viable for me at any price, being able to occasionally play it on TV, and having that play already be optimized, is a big bonus. From what I've read/heard, it seems I already use my 3DS primarily like a WiiU gamepad anyway.

I concede that there are lots of on-the-go situations where I wouldnt use the Switch, but I also wouldn't use my 3DS either. However, as a consumer, mobile gaming to me includes things like hotel stays, overnights at friends/family, airports and waiting rooms, and other situations where phone/tablet gaming isn't sufficient to provide me with a rewarding experience. The Switch appears to be a massive upgrade on both phone and handheld gaming, so it has me getting excited about video games in a way I haven't been in at least ten years.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
As the present time, it's hard for me to envision the Switch selling well. But there are too many unknowns to make a good prediction. It isn't just the games that will matter, but I think things like the price of games will determine how many 3DS owners buy into Switch, and things like its online features will determine how much of the PS4/XBONE crowd would be interested. Too little to go on right now.