Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 696099 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1225 on: December 05, 2016, 04:52:07 AM »
On obtuse puzzles in La Mulana: the most absurd ones are nearly at the end and so you don't even know the full extent of it.

I highly recommend not to even bother with giant scales room and with yellow medicine and just look it up. Mantras -- another late-game BS puzzle are actually very to cheese so they're okay.

miniboss in the Twin Labyrinths that seems impossible with my current equipment (I think I've got about half the items/weapons)
If you talking a time-stopping bird, you can kill it without specific item (there is even achievement for it) -- it just requires a study of it's patterns and a bit of premonition on your part.

There are just too many of them, and even my expanded recorder filled up almost immediately. At this point, they mostly seem way too vague to be worth thinking about, and several I've only realized what they meant after I randomly or intuitively uncovered the secret.
Make notes, it's much easier than clunky in-game recorder.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: December 05, 2016, 07:43:08 AM »

Agreed, although wish I came to that conclusion sooner when I was playing.

Despite some issues with the decidedly old-school and sometimes obtuse design, La-Mulana remains one of my favorite WiiWare games because it accomplishes exactly what it set out to do, and kept me busy exploring the in-game world for quite a few hours, always trying to solve that next puzzle and progress a little bit further.  (For reference, my other favorites include Fluidity, World of Goo, the Bit.Trip series, and Lost Winds games. Good company, even if La-Mulana clearly isn't at the top of that list.)

Isn't La-Mulana 2 supposed to be out soon? Or maybe it already is? I remember it had a KickStarter a couple of years back, and the game must be getting close.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 05, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
Continuing with my playthrough of Red Dead Redemption.  I just got to the point where you cross the border to Mexico.  That raft mission I found completely miserable, particularly because 1) they give you almost no good option for cover, and 2) I've for the life of me cannot figure out the right brightness/contrast settings to make everything visible in this game.  The second I adjust everything to look clear, I go to another area where everything is a dark, muddled mess.  I'll need to fiddle around with it more.

That said, after the mission, the transition with the song backdrop felt awesome.  This game is doing a good job of making you feel like you're on a sprawling epic.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: December 05, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
I gave up on Super Mario 3D World. I got bored. So I moved on to Super Paper Mario. I got bored with that real quick so I moved on to Mega Man 8. I got bored real quick so I put in Gremlins DVD and had more fun with that than all those games.

Gamer is not the best word to describe me, compulsive collector who used to be a gamer maybe.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: December 06, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
I gave up on Super Mario 3D World. I got bored. So I moved on to Super Paper Mario. I got bored with that real quick so I moved on to Mega Man 8. I got bored real quick so I put in Gremlins DVD and had more fun with that than all those games.

Gamer is not the best word to describe me, compulsive collector who used to be a gamer maybe.

If you enjoy movie commentaries, I recommend the RedLetterMedia commentary of Gremlins ;)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1230 on: December 06, 2016, 03:45:05 AM »
Just finished CoD MW2.
I know, i know, i said i hate CoD and i do, the new ones.
I love the original and world at war. But i hate pretty much every other one. But my friend said this one has one of the greatest plot twists of all time! And i mean it has a good twist don't now about all time though... Still i enjoyed my time with it, so that's saying something. That for once i wasn't burned by CoD.
Made you look ****.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 06, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »

If you enjoy movie commentaries, I recommend the RedLetterMedia commentary of Gremlins ;)

I do like movie commentaries but I hate that guy, he hates Star Wars and that's not excusable.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 07, 2016, 03:06:56 AM »
On obtuse puzzles in La Mulana: the most absurd ones are nearly at the end and so you don't even know the full extent of it.

I highly recommend not to even bother with giant scales room and with yellow medicine and just look it up. Mantras -- another late-game BS puzzle are actually very to cheese so they're okay.

miniboss in the Twin Labyrinths that seems impossible with my current equipment (I think I've got about half the items/weapons)
If you talking a time-stopping bird, you can kill it without specific item (there is even achievement for it) -- it just requires a study of it's patterns and a bit of premonition on your part.

There are just too many of them, and even my expanded recorder filled up almost immediately. At this point, they mostly seem way too vague to be worth thinking about, and several I've only realized what they meant after I randomly or intuitively uncovered the secret.

Ha, thanks Azeke, that makes me feel a little better about this. I've saved (but spent more than) eight hours in the game now, and hit my breaking point a little bit back. I felt walled-in, but had access to a main boss (Bahamut) that I couldn't beat, and thought it was a bottleneck. So I looked up tips about beating it, and saw the axe mentioned as the best approach. But I didn't have the axe, and apparently I should! I tried to look up a hint, as I was pretty sure I hadn't found any clues about it, and of course just saw the answer immediately: it was behind a breakable wall in a random room that I thought I had already stress tested. And using it I could beat the fish boss. And felt weird and shitty about it.

From there, I pushed out a good bit further (and spent like a fucking half-hour getting the chain whip), but have now gotten deeper into the mirror worlds, and again don't know what the hell is going on, but know where I can keep pushing. As a corollary, a big chunk of this post-Bahamut progress was accidentally figuring out the giant statue behavior after screwing with the sky disk. Here I had thought it wasn't activated, because I was overthinking the clues!

So basically this game is driving me crazy and I'm developing the Helsinki Syndrome alluded to. I technically haven't cheated on a puzzle/progress yet (unless I did that unwittingly with the axe, but even still it seems to be optional), but good goddamn do I wish I had the clue-referenced upgrade to fast-travel to the mirror zones. Temptation to cheat rising.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 07, 2016, 08:42:12 AM »
"Cheat" isn't the right word in this case. I much prefer "collaborative puzzle solving".

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 07, 2016, 07:58:14 PM »
I started Chrono Chross today. It's not exactly a game with a golden reputation but it seems like it should be a fun time.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 08, 2016, 12:06:50 AM »
Let me know how well it plays. I picked it up new a few years back and never got around to playing. I liked the design choices, but was bothered about the lack of connection to the first title. I might jump in soon if it is still in a "playable" state (not too terrible load times, not so jaggie I could be cut by someone's hair).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 08, 2016, 12:46:54 AM »
The problem with Chrono Cross is it never should have been a sequel to Chrono Trigger.  The gameplay is great and the soundtrack is amazing but the connection to the first game is just terrible and makes the overall story a mess.  The story should have been it's own unique thing which it was at first and was pretty good until it tries to connect with the original at which point it jumps the shark straight to the moon after that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 08, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »
So they should have done what Fire Emblem/Zelda/Mario/Final Fantasy do and just make each game a stand-alone story (obviously not counting direct sequels). Could have been the start of the Chrono series, a place where Square could feel free to experiment with the RPG formula versus the almost archaic Dragon Quest.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 08, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
So they should have done what Fire Emblem/Zelda/Mario/Final Fantasy do and just make each game a stand-alone story (obviously not counting direct sequels). Could have been the start of the Chrono series, a place where Square could feel free to experiment with the RPG formula versus the almost archaic Dragon Quest.

That's exactly what they should have done.  The original Chrono Trigger worked perfectly as a standalone story and didn't need to be expanded on.  Had Cross been it's own thing we could have had a pretty interesting series of unique RPG's.  Instead the decision to say "**** you" to the Trigger fanbase by the **** they pull in the second half of Cross pretty much killed the franchise.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 14, 2016, 11:38:53 PM »
"Cheat" isn't the right word in this case. I much prefer "collaborative puzzle solving".

Well I've definitely cheated now. I beat my 5th boss and got into the Tower of the Goddess, but couldn't figure out how to turn it on with the water system from the clues. In one sense I overthought it, because I thought the lake that was referenced wasn't the same thing as the sky spring area. But in another sense, I probably never would have figured it out. It involved climbing down into a breakable pot (which I didn't know was anywhere near possible in terms of interaction in this game), and walking through a false wall that even after the fact I don't see how the clues pointed to.

So I made it like 13 hours and have officially given up on solving **** myself. Azeke was 100% right about the scale room, which as far as I know I didn't find more than two clues about the weight system for a one-chance puzzle. After breaking on the Tower of the Goddess, I soon also broke on the fruit of Eden puzzle, which I actually am kind of angry at myself about, because I was close to "getting" it, but didn't realize you could scan certain kinds of background details.

On another spur, I finally found the mother statue, and went through the room with the multi-color sperm flying around, and tried to use the statue on it, but it didn't work. So I looked it up, and it turns out I was doing the right thing, but just didn't do it enough times, or something? I give up.

I'll see if I even have the dexterity to finish the game with guide support. As of now, I am in a way kind of in awe of the construction and complexity of the game, but it's so fucking obtuse that I kind of also hate it. And really a lot of my frustrations could be alleviated with a much better log system. It really wouldn't take anything away from the project to be able to actually review the data you collect without having to manually write every little thing down in case it turns out to be important hours down the line.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 15, 2016, 03:49:02 AM »
Monae: Quarter-Genie Quadling

I get it. Shantae will never be as good as Metroid, so why put so much effort into Metroid-like maps? Instead of having interconnected, labyrinthine maps and dungeons (what I considered to be the highlight of the franchise), Quarter-Genie Quadling is an action platformer centered around gated power-up acquisitions contributing to developing level design... sort of. See, QGQ uses these gated power-ups to siphon players through specific set-pieces while leaving other areas untouched, for better or worse.

The problem with this idea is that, while QGQ utilizes some clever transformation tricks in order to slowly trickle new areas for the player, there's some particularly boring implementations of the idea in the form of "genie rooms" that serve as straightforward and boring gates to additional power-up abilities. They're aesthetically bland atop lacking any sort of creativity, which is odd, considering a lot of charm of Wayforward games comes from their unique flair. In fact, a lot of what is on display here is pretty standard for the Shantae series, but that means it's "standard" Wayforward. The dialogue is as sharp and quirky as ever, the locales have some interesting gimmicks and do a good job of telling a narrative. And yes, there's some transformations, too.

But in every way that QGQ takes a step forward for the franchise- turning it into a "exploration action platformer," stripping down the previously-convoluted sidequest design, and amping up the amount of transformations, there's just as many odd choices that either remain glaringly old-fashioned, or just straight-up bizarre: the over-reliance on dialogue despite levels having clear narratives, the generic boss design that strays from transformation usage and becomes ridiculously damage-sponging, the odd gating of power-up expansions and some very disappointing and useless additions, and Wayforward's morbid fascination with STEALTH MECHANICS. And then, there is the most damning and backwards design choice of all, being a lack of mapping in an exploration- and backtracking-heavy game design. While the nooks and crannies you may find in levels and the way they are slowly revealed is pretty novel, not having the ability to keep track of secrets already found and paths not worth retreading save for a completion-chart on the world map is disappointing.

I'm nearing what the characters in QGQ are calling the "END" (in typical, Wayforward fourth-wall breaking fashion), I have only played as Shantae herself, and I know that there are other modes to explore once done. I might be jumping to conclusions a bit too soon, with the remaining two modes possessing a hefty chunk of unique content that will provide a Sonic 3 and Knuckles sort of expansive experience, but so far, QGQ is an acceptably tame, and imperfect, Kickstarter project. It's cute, and the visuals are certainly top-notch, but it does little to evolve the series in any sort of meaningful direction. Shantae and the Pirates Curse remains a superior title in my eyes, but again, these are developing opinions.

Long story short: unless you already enjoy Shantae games, this is a hard sell, but even if you do, you'll find little outside of dialogue and fundamental mechanics that feels familiar.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 28, 2016, 12:56:48 AM »
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

I've never actually played through this game before, which is a shame, because it's absolutely amazing. I'm probably close to halfway done (3 pendants and 3 crystals), but this could end up rivaling Ocarina of Time for greatest of all time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 30, 2016, 03:24:52 PM »
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

I've never actually played through this game before, which is a shame, because it's absolutely amazing. I'm probably close to halfway done (3 pendants and 3 crystals), but this could end up rivaling Ocarina of Time for greatest of all time.

Yeah, it's probably about 10 years since I first played Link to the Past myself. It was the first Zelda game I played and it was the GBA version. I felt stupid for having missed out on it all the years I grew up with an SNES. Same thing with Super Metroid. I was addicted to Link to the Past for a week or so as I fully beat it. Wanting more Zelda action, I then went with Wind Waker and ended up liking it even more. Followed that up with Ocarina of Time a bit later and then Twilight Princess before going on a long break from the series. But Link to the Past got it going. I loved exploring through that game. I'd poke every wall for a possible hollow hiding spot and dig up all the ground to make sure I didn't miss a secret somewhere along the way. The light and dark world concept. It still holds up well after all this time. If I hadn't started playing Majora's Mask 3D in the past week and half, I'd have probably named it my second favorite Zelda experience but, depending on how I feel when I finish up MM, it may drop down to 3rd.

Majora's Mask is the first Zelda game since Wind Waker that I thought could challenge it for the number one spot of favorite Zelda game. However, now that I'm about 75% done the game, I don't think that's going to happen. Still, it's really reinvigorated my interest in Zelda games again and made me excited about playing other games I've yet to get to in the series. It's a great twist on the formula which is something Nintendo's sometimes struggled with in trying to keep the series from becoming stale.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 01, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »
Shovel Knight: Finally got around to it, now I see why everyone is in love with this game. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Dark Souls 3: Just from 5 hours in, it is better the Dark Souls 2. Not Bloodborne or DS1 level, but still enjoyable.

Xanadu Next: If anyone ever liked any of the Ys games or Legend of Zelda, give this game a shot. It is extremely good and the plot setting is fantastic. You unravel the mysteries of the island you are on through tomes and memoirs you find. The lore I've seen so far is really good and classical fantasy. Gameplay is top-down perspective, you use your mouse to move and attack. Keyboard to quick select spells/skills and to quick use items.

This a Falcom game through and through. And that is a good thing.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 01, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
Super Metroid (SNES)
Similar to my LttP story above. Never played this seriously before, and it's absolutely amazing.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: January 03, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
Super Metroid (SNES)
Similar to my LttP story above. Never played this seriously before, and it's absolutely amazing.

I had played Super Metroid for a few hours and remember really liking it, but put it down and never picked it back up for some reason.  I should go back to that.  Have you beaten it?  Or are you still working away at it?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 03, 2017, 10:51:34 AM »
Still working at it. Don't think I'm too far in right now...Have Power Bombs, Dash, Ice Beam...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 03, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »
Still working at it. Don't think I'm too far in right now...Have Power Bombs, Dash, Ice Beam...

Playing both Link to the Past and Super Metroid for the first time over the holidays makes me envious - definitely a lot of great gaming there!

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 04, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »
Started playing Final Fantasy VI (Vita) for the first time in anticipation of having some down time starting Friday due to a vasectomy.  After 1 1/2 hrs in, I can say this much:

The pace of the storytelling and events so far are going at such a breakneck speed, which is a welcome thing.  At that point, I've already gone through 3 boss battles and a second dungeon.  A GREAT reason why they can do this is the opening scrawl of world building around the events , and the game giving a 1 or 2 sentence summary of a character's background before being introduced as a party member.  The downside of this is that the character relationships seem inorganic and trust exists between party members for flimsy reasons at the moment, IMO.

This game looks gorgeous for a game of its time, and the Vita screen is a perfect method to play this in.  The music is great too, but the vita speakers leave something to be desired.  Oh well, headphones for me.

Didn't realize how much I missed turn based RPG combat. 

Maybe it's just me, but I find the dialogue a bit silly/bad, even for older games standards.  Maybe bad translation? 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 06, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
I started playing Stardew Valley, though I'm torn as to whether I should keep playing or stop and wait for the Switch version. As i was led to believe, it's a really good Harvest Moon clone, and that's a style of game I'd much rather have on a handheld. The problem is if the Switch version is coming at or near launch it'll be coming around the same time as the new Story of Seasons, and I don't know that I want to be playing two Harvest Moon games at once.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent