Author Topic: Silicon Knights.  (Read 32637 times)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2003, 05:26:01 PM »
Maybe Dennis can clear this up?
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2003, 06:08:34 PM »
Wow.  Denis Dyack was here.  Well, let me just say that it is always a joy watching someone play Eternal Darkness for the first time.  They'll never know what hits them no matter how much you try to prepare them.  Eternal Darkness symbolizes the right direction for gaming.  Its all about the symbiosis of content and gameplay.  Thank you Silicon Knights!

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline The_Gannondork

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2003, 07:04:58 PM »

Maybe Dennis can clear this up?

i dont think so. I reckon all he did was see the topic name, made a few casual replies and what do you get? a bit of hype for the sequel. I dont blame him, when i heard that ED didnt sell well i thought their was no justice left in the world. No offense, but especially in America

Mantorok was described as the corpse god wasn't he? It's been a while since I have been able to play the game. But yeah, I would agree that he is the god of death.

Yes he was, but i kept on getting the feeling that he wasnt all bad, actually i felt a bit sorry for him, especially when he ate his own gaurds to stay alive and having pious gimmick on how the mighty have fallen. O well hes a tough bastard, and he turned out a bit better then pious in the long run.

Btw, which reminds me, you know the sound he makes when Pious attacks him? it is the exact same sound as the velocirapter(spl?) in conkers bad fur day.

I always hoped you could summon him in the boss fight. It would of been cool seeing a big octapus kick the others asses.

I didnt know about stabbing the gate keepers from behind, i always attacked them up front with one hit, then run back quickly before they slashed me. it worked, but took like 5 minutes and was hella hard. i should of known their was a better way.
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Foolish boy, Do you even know who i am?

I am Gannondork, and one day I will rule the world!

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2003, 06:53:25 PM »
If you look at some of the carvings on the temple before you get to Mantorok it doesn't make him look all that nice of a God either.

Offline John Squire

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2003, 08:51:39 PM »
NOTE: Yellow is the complimentary (or opposite) colour of Purple[/p].    Each is the absence of the other.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2003, 09:04:11 PM »
Reading this thread makes me realize how much I missed in the game and how much more close I should pay attention when I start it back up again. I left off part way through the 2 time. I went through green first, I think I chose red this time.

I wonder how many laughs Denis is having if he is following this thread with all of the theories being tossed around. I know it has peaked my interests again.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2003, 10:20:32 PM »

Originally posted by: John Squire
NOTE: Yellow is the complimentary (or opposite) colour of Purple[/p].    Each is the absence of the other.

On what level are you talking about colors here? My guess would be pigments (red + blue = purple, but no yellow type deal, yes?). Another point of view to consider is light, where yellow is a mixture of red and green, and an absence of blue (TVs only have red, blue and green dots). Still another point of view is neurological (the only place where color actually has physical meaning) where there are six "colors." Long story short, the eye has three types of cones, right? These cones are not red, green, and blue (they're really redish, blueish, and greenish). Because you don't have enough neurons to wire every individual cone, the cones are grouped, with the center portion of the group being one type of cone and signaling the brain when stimulated, and a surrounding region of a different type that actually suppresses signals from the center when stimulated. When all is said and done there are exactly six different types of regions possible in your eye. I'm not sure of this, but I'd guess that color of light each type of region is most sensitive to is: red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow. The reason it is possible for a TV to only use red, green, and blue is because the different types of region actually overlap in sensitivity (so when a red region is stimulated, a magenta region is stimulated a little too). In this kind of structure, yellow is still opposite blue, red is opposite cyan, and magenta is opposite green. Violet/purple is a mixutre of blue and magenta (though mantorok was, if anything, redish violet or possibly even magenta). I could see it though. The opposites share something in common, but are the opposite in some other important way. Like Xel and Mantorok: they're both chaos, but the latter is physical and the former is not (directly). I can't think of a way to similarly balance Ulyaoth and Chatturga at the moment, but this gives you a framework for another triad (perhaps yellow beats magenta beats cyan beats yellow for balance [goes the opposite direction on an HSV color wheel).

Another detail I just remembered: if you check the pantry door before you find the Tome, the symbol on the door is Mantorok's rune. Is there a reason for that one, or just filling for the fact that the player hasn't chosen a path yet?

BlackGriffen

Offline Tael

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2003, 10:44:22 PM »
BlackGriffen - I'd say he was referring to a colour wheel.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2003, 12:08:56 AM »
BlackGriffen: Sorry bro, but you lost me after quoting John Squire.

But all these theories could point to a sequel, or a prequel even, and with the advent of multiple projects at SK, ED0/2 could be possible.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline JP

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2003, 06:25:20 AM »

Hey, its been a while since I've played, so excuse me if I say something ignorant.

But, at the end, I'm sure all of us were ready to beat the game, not experiment. When summoning the god opposite of the path you chose, would it be possible to summon Mantarok? Purple defeats the rest right? So, in theory it should work, but what would it do to the story, if it could be done?

Someone tell me if its possible & if so, has anyone done it.
JP

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2003, 06:35:06 AM »
When Pius wounded Mantorok he sealed the ability to summon with the god's rune. So no in Eternal Darkness its not possible to summon Mantorok himself. (Accually Pius did Mantorok a favor by "traping" him, he didn't get involved personally in the paradox that ensued.)

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2003, 07:52:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Tael
BlackGriffen - I'd say he was referring to a colour wheel.

Yeah, I'd figured as much. I was mostly pointing out: one, there is another view to take (light) where yellow is actually opposite blue, and two, neurologically there are six "pure" colors, giving a sort of a reason for another triad.

Termin8Anakin, sorry I lost you. I tried to make the explaination as simple and clear as I could in text. I would probably need diagrams to explain it better. Suffice it to say, in your brain there are six colors, and all the others are mixes of those six, despite the fact that it is possible to make any color using just three (red, green, blue in the case of light, cyan, magenta, yellow in the case of pigments).

BlackGriffen

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2003, 07:59:56 AM »
i think he was just screwing with you guys. trying to make this post active with all types of crazy ideas and such.
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2003, 09:09:41 AM »
i just went and played it again and i noticed those electric pool things on the floor that hurt you as you walked on them were yellow. Just thought that was interesting.
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Offline NoVisAnima

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2003, 09:25:43 AM »
What about the magick that makes the enemy's bodys dissappear, that also happens to be of a yellow colour.

Offline lsteamer

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2003, 05:18:22 AM »
Ok, Here is the Deal.
I'm About to Finish High School & Chose what to do Next, And I am SURE I want to Work on the Gaming Industry, No doubts About it. It's something I find Real Passion For.

But I really Don't Know where should I continue my Studies, For Game Design/Development what courses should I take?

You Guys As one of the Most Talented & Respected Programming Houses In the World have My Admiration And My Quality Standards are your Quality Standards, so I'm Interested on what you have to say.
Again, I'm Not Just a Geek Who Plays Videogames 24/7, I'm avid Reader, have Interest for Quality Movies & Arts in General.
I am Working, Studying and Currently Learning a 3rd Language. The Point I want To Give is that I have My mind Well Set, And I know What I'm Doing, So I know That I want To Join The Industry.

My Mail -Don't Know if this is Allowed, But If you can Help me- lsteamer@hotmail.com  
"We Race, We Die. There is no Beauty Anymore"

Offline LRonHoover

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2003, 08:17:00 AM »
Inside the tome on your spells list page, there are five "slots" on the top where your available power runes are located. We can only use the first three. I'd assume the other two slots are for higher power runes similar to what Pious uses to summon his more wicked creatures. I guess i'm trying to point out that ED's world is much larger than what we explored in this game, and that a sequel or even a prequel could be done easily without having to make up far-fetched events for cohesiveness.
robray

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2003, 11:47:05 AM »
Digipen is a good place to study, but I think you have to have good grades.

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2003, 11:58:55 AM »
Isteamer...lol, you don't know how alike we are, i too am learning a 3rd language, and just today I put in add in the newspaper for a C++ tutor. And as i said in a post earlier, I'm learning Maya which will be the new 3d art programme used by companies such as SK in the near future.

I have been paying alot of attention to SK over the past couple years as a possible place to work for, because though i live in NZL, i have a Canadian passport. It's nice to see Denis coming onto forums like these, hes the only developer i have heard of that's actually bothered to do that. I just recently visited the SK website, and saw that they prefer hiring people who have no experience in the industry ( same as Zoonami, yet another country i have a passport for!). I hope Denis comes back to this thread, and perhaps give a bit of advice to us ( if he's in a good mood ) on how to get our finger tips in the industry.

Btw, the voice that tells the fire fighter to blow up the bridge is'nt Mantorok, er i dont think anyway. Because after just getting the Mantorok ruin i noticed it's voice is'nt deep, but more of a hushed whisper.
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2003, 01:10:40 PM »
POSSIBLE SPOILERS*******

Originally posted by: LRonHoover
Inside the tome on your spells list page, there are five "slots" on the top where your available power runes are located. We can only use the first three. I'd assume the other two slots are for higher power runes similar to what Pious uses to summon his more wicked creatures. I guess i'm trying to point out that ED's world is much larger than what we explored in this game, and that a sequel or even a prequel could be done easily without having to make up far-fetched events for cohesiveness.

I thought that Pious just used a Summon spell with many "Pargon" (Power) runes to summon his Black Guardian, his alignment was always the color that he chooses in Chapter 1.

Mantorok is the 4th rune that you can use.

People are saying that the fifth rune is of a yellow alignment (Mr. Dyack even hinted at this)

Now my hopes for a second ED: I want backstory on the first man thrown into the cemented mess of bodies.

Finally, someone mentioned the bodies dissapearing due to Yellow Magick... this could be a Greater God of Life/Death (a Creator of sorts) .... or SK needed a cool effect for the bodies to dissapear, so they had the yellow deal goin on.  
I'll shut up now...

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2003, 07:03:18 PM »
Their are countless different ancients SK could create so easily. Examples....(white or yellow) A ancient of life that is now known as the god, his servant that weilds powers similar to pious is obviously, Jesus....

(black) Then of course his nemesis (Satan) who is the ancient of corruption.

etc etc etc etc etc......I mean, SK could rewrite history with all the possiblities. You can have the most complex magik system ever put into a game. With tonnes of different new ruins, and the possibility of multiple new ancients SK could gain a bloody cult following similar to the likes of pokemon, all consuming what SK throws at them.

I mean sure, a yellow god is enough for a sequel, SK made ED with enough holes and gaps that they could make multiple sequels and prequels and still hold an as interesting story line as the origanal. Think about it, ED isn't a one off origanal game, but SKs own unique franchise
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2003, 08:01:53 PM »
Something else to consider is the magick system. The runes came in three classes: nouns, verbs, and adverbs. The verbs all took a direct objects (the subject of the magickal "sentence" was always 'I'). The adverbs were either the god runes or the pargon rune. Just imagine how much they could expand this system. For instance, verbs that don't take a direct object (like "float," "grow," or "move"). Or maybe giving some verbs the ability to take verbs as objects (like adding spell casting enemies, and then you could "protect" from other spells). You could also expand the adverbs, or even add adjectives (with things like "for a long time," "briefly," "far away," "small," "quickly," etc.). Last, but certainly not least, they could make runes that are impossible to memorize (because they are constantly shifting in appearance), and expire after one use. I know that ED's whole system was never based on a scarcity model, but this is one way they could alleviate the fact that regenerating MP made the game too easy (say, make healing spells too slow to use in combat without a "quickly" rune, and make "quickly" runes one timers).

BlackGriffen

Offline The_Gannondork

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2003, 08:21:58 PM »
Heh...your right, SK could make a new language with what they have here. The whole healing thing that made the game to easy could be easily fixed (and add more scare factor) is that they could have monsters follow you, like they would in real life.
Trust me, their would be nothing more freakier then have a bone theif stalking you room from room, you dragging yourself ever slowly and the bone theif lining up for the pounce.....
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH

Offline LRonHoover

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2003, 09:05:47 PM »
Stimutacs; I am refering to the additional pargon placements. the most powerful spell one can cast uses seven components, four of which are pargon. there are two empty slots which i'd assume are for larger spells, similar to what Pious uses.
robray

Offline JP

• View Profile
Silicon Knights.
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2003, 08:01:20 AM »
I just want to say that ED is mostly backstory for the current story of Alex. Some people are saying its too easy, but I felt this game was akin to reading a book. There should be difficult situations for the characters in the game, but it shouldn't be made too hard for the reader/player to get to the end.

I feel that ED just sets up the story for an ED2...sort of like Star Wars Ep4 being good enough by itself (as compared to the other eps) to be the first movie in the series, but really just setting up this entire SW universe. Now that the ED universe has a reference point (the ED we all have & love), stories do not have to have a complete arc. They have to have AN arc, but it doesn't have to be as all-encompassing as ED - which touched on so many places & characters (playable chars, gods, demons/zombies, god helpers, & pious, who gets his own category).  

I'm loving us all  bouncing ideas off of each other.
And special mention to the poster that brought up the yellow when bodies disappear.
JP