Author Topic: Game Journalism  (Read 127465 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: The 3rd Party Wall of Shame
« Reply #575 on: February 28, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
I'm wondering if NSMBW will have any affect on Galaxy 2. In Japan absolutely not, but in America and else where? I feel like Mario Bros Wii allowed people to rediscover Mario again for the first time in over a decade. Maybe, just maybe they will try and take the next step up to 3D.

I doubt it, they had three generations to get acquainted with 3D Mario.

I understand that, but i'm wondering if a 2D console Mario will bait them in for Galaxy 2. Imagine if the commercials show like 50% 3D and 50% 2D? Or imagine on Galaxy commercial that shows almost nothing but 2D segments. That would really "trick" some of the uninformed. 
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 28, 2010, 04:04:34 PM »
This is the first time that a 2D and 3D Mario game have existed on the same system, so it could be very interesting indeed to see what effect that has on 3D Mario sales.

And since when were sales of 3D Mario bad? Super Mario 64 sold 11 million copies so obviously lots of people got acquainted with 3D Mario right away. Plus the Nintendo 64 and especially GameCube sold worse than the NES and SNES so there were less people to sell 3D Mario to. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is being released onto the best-selling Nintendo home console ever, so I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the best-selling 3D Mario game.

Offline Aielyn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 28, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
I'd argue that if a game can't surpass its predecessor, then it couldn't have been as good as the predecessor, and thus doesn't deserve the status, anyway.

A sequel can only surpass its predecessor by appealing to more people. Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't appeal to more people than Galaxy 1.
As Mop it up pointed out, the install base is larger, now. Plus, NSMB Wii will have primed more people for the game.

If it doesn't outsell the first Galaxy, then it's not a system-seller at all, and using movie-based terms, I wouldn't call it a blockbuster, either. A sequel on the same system as its predecessor should outsell that predecessor, due to larger install base of the system. If it doesn't, it can't be as good as the original. This is, of course, assuming that the brand isn't destroyed by the first title, so that people don't buy the second one.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 28, 2010, 09:40:50 PM »
I'd argue that if a game can't surpass its predecessor, then it couldn't have been as good as the predecessor, and thus doesn't deserve the status, anyway.

A sequel can only surpass its predecessor by appealing to more people. Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't appeal to more people than Galaxy 1.
As Mop it up pointed out, the install base is larger, now. Plus, NSMB Wii will have primed more people for the game.

If it doesn't outsell the first Galaxy, then it's not a system-seller at all, and using movie-based terms, I wouldn't call it a blockbuster, either. A sequel on the same system as its predecessor should outsell that predecessor, due to larger install base of the system. If it doesn't, it can't be as good as the original. This is, of course, assuming that the brand isn't destroyed by the first title, so that people don't buy the second one.

Since when has buying the first game in a series constituted buying the sequel? And even further how does not outselling the first galaxy even come close to questioning the quality of the game?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 28, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »
^this.

Yeah...the correlation didn't make sense to me either.

P.S. It's called a NUTBUSTER
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 28, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Does anyone know any other major publishers that haven't been covered by the Wall?

Offline Aielyn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 28, 2010, 11:44:12 PM »

Since when has buying the first game in a series constituted buying the sequel? And even further how does not outselling the first galaxy even come close to questioning the quality of the game?
It's not that buying the first game constitutes buying the sequel. It's that, with a larger install base, it should be capable of selling at least as many copies, if equal in quality. Those who bought the first but don't buy the sequel should be offset by those who buy only the sequel, due to a larger install base.

Obviously, one must remember the distinction between the game's quality and its success. For instance, maybe Darkside Chronicles is a better game than Umbrella Chronicles... but Umbrella Chronicles came closer to being a system-seller (although it wasn't one). Just as a blockbuster movie isn't just a good movie, but a movie that breaks records at the box office, so too is a system-seller a game that goes beyond just being quality.

BlackNMild2k1 - Marvelous Interactive/Rising Star Games has been missed... although, their wall would be one of the few that I'd be tempted to call a "wall of <something other than shame>". Their games have consistently been niche, but their support of the Wii is clear-cut, and only one game on the list would fail to be considered at least decent (and even that one, I'm not sure of). Also, Atari hasn't been listed, nor has Disney, Hudson, Koei, LucasArts, or Warner Bros.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 01, 2010, 01:15:13 AM »
BlackNMild2k1 - Marvelous Interactive/Rising Star Games has been missed... although, their wall would be one of the few that I'd be tempted to call a "wall of <something other than shame>". Their games have consistently been niche, but their support of the Wii is clear-cut, and only one game on the list would fail to be considered at least decent (and even that one, I'm not sure of). Also, Atari hasn't been listed, nor has Disney, Hudson, Koei, LucasArts, or Warner Bros.
Thanks. Is anybody willing to make a Wall for any/all of those companies?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 01, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
While looking at yesterday's Best Buy newspaper ad-packet I thought, how neat, another store with the $30 Endless Ocean + Wii Speak bundle; then right below that I see that Spongebob's Boating Bash is coming out tomorrow, bringing THQ's Spongebob count to six.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 01, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »
Isn't Hudson published by Konami?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 01, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
Isn't Hudson published by Konami?
Konami owns some stake in Hudson, but it doesn't stop Hudson from publishing their games under their label.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?