Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey - No spoilers or I'll punch your face in!  (Read 22348 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Odyssey - No spoilers or I'll punch your face in!
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2017, 03:31:52 AM »
This is true. And I really like Galaxy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »
I still vote Breath of the Wild for game of the year, but I won't be disappointed if Odyssey wins. Anything else will be a crime, though. It's a shame that PUBG is even being considered, game of the year is about a quality game, not a popularity contest.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »
I still vote Breath of the Wild for game of the year, but I won't be disappointed if Odyssey wins. Anything else will be a crime, though. It's a shame that PUBG is even being considered, game of the year is about a quality game, not a popularity contest.

If PUBG wins GOTY for any publication, all it means is that they gauge GOTY based more on how much fun they personally had than the quality of the game itself.  I don't personally have a problem with THAT - intent of a game is to have fun, right?

Giant Bomb has been not subtly implying that they would seriously give their GOTY to PUBG, which makes sense both from the fact they're straddling the middle ground between gaming news and gaming personalities, and they played a LOT of the game through the year, much like they did last year with Hitman. 

I don't think there's much sanctity in gaming "news" outlets anymore, but if they are ones trying to take themselves seriously, I don't think PUBG has an argument for that spot.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
Does Game of the Year really matter?

It’s a nice marketing buzzword, every company would take it. For Nintendo, I’m sure, more than anything, they’re glad Zelda and Mario worked out so well for Switch, and it has a template for launching consoles in the future. Overwhelming people with great content is critical in the first year. The bar has been set pretty high though.

Personally, I think Breath of the Wild is the better game even though Super Mario Odyssey has kept me far more engaged and ready to return to its world. Since progression is much more quantifiable in Odyssey, it’s easier for me and my gaming habits to stick with it. I can play for an hour and feel like I accomplished a lot whereas I need hours to feel that way in Breath of the Wild. I don’t always have several consecutive hours to devote to gaming, often because I’m busy begrudgingly dealing with real responsibilities and sometimes because I don’t have it in me at the moment.

It should be noted that I felt Zelda is far greater need of a change and that is playing a major role in my opinion of it. No other game has filled me the same sense of wonder which can’t be understated. I don’t want to take anything away from Odyssey as there’s still plenty of wonder. Even though I would have been happy with a mere sequel, I’ll gladly take the most refined 3D Mario I’ve ever played.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:54:00 PM by Adrock »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
Does Game of the Year really matter?

No, not in the slightest.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
If they did the Game of the Year stuff when they should (after 12/25 at the minimum, preferably in the next year) then we're not having this discussion, right?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
If they did the Game of the Year stuff when they should (after 12/25 at the minimum, preferably in the next year) then we're not having this discussion, right?

Early Thanksgiving, Early Game of the Year.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:57 PM »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 06:14:42 AM »
Nintendo of Russia has made this ad:

It's amazing.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
That's pretty cool but also sad...I think?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »
That's pretty cool but also sad...I think?
Why.

I really-really love it. In 30 seconds they captured the tumultuous time right after the collapse so well and there are so many details that are so right, like the ugliest carpets on the walls, stupid boy-band posters, obligatory piano that seemingly everyone had back then for some reason to torture kids and neighbours.

You can even excuse artistic liberties like him playing videogames while at the post in the army.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
Joseph Anderson posted a rather savage critical analysis of Odyssey that picks the game's "time-wasting bullshit" apart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJx5xt2cB0

It's rather lengthy, Anderson tends to err on the side of tediousness in order to prove his point, but I was curious to hear others' thoughts of this.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »
All videogames are time wasting bullshit.

News at eleven.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
2 hours is a long time to waste on an incorrect opinion.

I did see one video about why the moons in the game were "worthless" with the gist being that you only need a small percentage of available moons to progress, and the moons you collected from previous levels have no bearing on whether or no you can progress during the story.  I thought the overall point was a bit asinine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »
He has a point, however. Many of the Moons in the game require absolutely no usage of Mario’s movement options, making the game nothing more than a scavenger hunt with a number of ridiculous objectives.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2018, 11:41:59 PM »
He has a point, however. Many of the Moons in the game require absolutely no usage of Mario’s movement options, making the game nothing more than a scavenger hunt with a number of ridiculous objectives.

But most of those can be gotten pretty fast as you explore the world as you look for more advanced content which the game still has a lot of.  Many of these Moons being called time wasting bullshit are usually rewards for the player exploring the game and discovering something new, which I don't see a problem with for game that's suppose to be more exploration based.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2018, 04:06:42 PM »
All videogames are time wasting bullplop.
This is (just about) how I feel as well.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »
There are just too many moons in the game for me to be phased by a large number of them being easy to find.  If you're a completionist, the reward isn't going to come from each individual moon but from getting a wide swath of them.  And like Luigi Dude says, the easy ones are mostly rewards for exploring.  There's usually other stuff to do once you find the easy ones too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
Poor Luigi.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
Here is a photo I snapped with the new neon filter:

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
Hey I have 880 moons. I think I finished the typical last super hard level of 3D Mario games but I'm not sure. Is 880 it?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »
880 is the total number of unique moons across all of the lists, yes. To reach 999, you have to buy the rest from the shops.

Luigi's Balloon World is a great way to earn coins for those moons, and any remaining costumes you have left to buy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
So I finally just beat the game yesterday...well, I beat Bowser, I should say - and now I'm not so sure if I'd keep BotW as game of the year. I guess no one ever awards a tie, but if there were ever two games that deserve it, it would be BotW and Odyssey. The "final" possession you get to do is so awesome, and I actually laughed out loud a couple times during the cutscene that follows it. Hard to believe that I've only found around 1/3 of the moon and there are still more kingdoms to unlock.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »
I dunno. Whereas Korok Seeds are made as a sort of ancillary goal, something the player isn’t supposed to go out of their way to do but still has clever implementations throughout the world, Mario’s Power Moons are kind of haphazardly and lazily distributed across worlds, with only a fraction requiring real platforming skill and technique and even fewer being legitimately clever. It’s pretty disappointing in retrospect in ways that I feel Breath of the Wild succeeds at. And the latter of the two isn’t even a collect-a-thon platformer.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2018, 08:39:40 PM »
Yeah I'm not saying it's the amount of moons that makes it on-par with Zelda, it's just the whole experience of the game. Like, where the hell did Bowser get that dragon? Is it just a Dark Souls/Skyrim reference? Some of the 2D sections blew my mind too. Visually the game is pretty amazing, too. Makes me feel that they could have pushed BotW a little bit more (maybe adaptive resolution up to 1080p) on Switch.