Author Topic: Episode 195: Cause I'm the Taxman  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Episode 195: Cause I'm the Taxman
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »

There's one for you, nineteen for me.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/41745/episode-195-cause-im-the-taxman

Welcome to the first Connectivity episode of 2016!

This week Adam, Nick and Carmine chat about what they got up to over the holidays, with a tangent on eShop tax. After the break the trio dive into the main topic, micro-transactions in Nintendo games.

The musical selections on this episode include the Snowflake Mountain from Diddy Kong Racing and I Am Impact from Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon for the Nintendo 64.

Connectivity has joined twitter, so be sure to follow @ConnectivityNWR to be up to date on any announcements. We are wanting more listener participation, feel free to ask questions, they may show up in the show!

Send us your listener mail by clicking here.

Thanks for listening.

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 195: Cause I'm the Taxman
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:59:42 PM »
you got my hopes up in that you got Christian Whitehead in for an interview since he's now helping with engine optimization for an announced Wii U title.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »
I have yet to put ANY money into Badge Arcade and i play almost every day.

You underestimate children when saying this isn't the game for them, most of them know VERY WELL about F2P games by now and if you there is a way to play without paying anything, they WILL find it. and Badge Arcade is VERY lenient with it's free plays.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »
you got my hopes up in that you got Christian Whitehead in for an interview since he's now helping with engine optimization for an announced Wii U title.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

Actually, I do want to start doing some interviews, so maybe thats something to look into for down the road.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 12:54:28 AM »
Christian "Taxman" Whitehead is the fellow responsible for the excelent Sonic CD remaster that Sega put out, as well as the enhanced iOS Sonic 1 and 2 ports.

He's helping Strife on development for Freedom Planet 2.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:01:25 AM »
Yeah I am aware of his Sonic work, I havn't kept up with his more recent happenings.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »
I actually love the new super Mario Bros DLC. Coin Rush mode was my favorite part of the game my wife and I kept beating each other's high scores and the DLC for that game made it so that we enjoyed it longer.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
I have yet to put ANY money into Badge Arcade and i play almost every day.

You underestimate children when saying this isn't the game for them, most of them know VERY WELL about F2P games by now and if you there is a way to play without paying anything, they WILL find it. and Badge Arcade is VERY lenient with it's free plays.

I have no doubt that there's a vast swath of players who are in no danger at all from Badge Arcade and similar setups. BUT, I also believe that there is a significant group out there who we need to be aware of as more vulnerable or susceptible to the lure of microtransactions, especially when coupled with the tried and true psychological mechanisms designed to make us want to buy them. Nintendo is a company that should value its good relationship with players of all ages, and calls itself family-friendly, so I think there's a higher need for safety valve mechanisms in place just in case for that vulnerable population.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.