Author Topic: Bad Connection Speed on Switch?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Bad Connection Speed on Switch?
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »
So, I tried to play the Mario Aces demo and the connection was terrible.  I couldn't move my character around.  I just my connection speed, and it was paltry.  I ran a speed test on my computer and that prompted me to reset my router.

Another speed test shows 78 Mbps down and 75 up.  However, the Switch still shows only 26/15 Mbps.  They're both on the same network.  Is the speed on the Switch capped?  Or might there be something wrong with my Switch?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:38:13 AM by Wino »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Connection Speed on Switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
From what I've seen from other people (and my own), the Switch speeds are always slower than people's connection with other devices, so I think the Switch is slower, for whatever reason.

Were you testing connection in docked mode or handheld? If you move the Switch closer to your router, do you get faster speeds?

One configuration tip I've seen for Switch is to change the MTU value from 1400 to 1500.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 04:10:12 PM »
It's docked and the only thing between it and my router is my cable box. :(

I usually rely on the ethernet when docked, but changed the setting to see if that was it.

Changed that MTU value and got 21.1/10.9

How big a difference are you seeing on your Switch vs other devices?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
If I remember rightly last time I checked, my Switch was 45/35ish, and my computer was 90/45ish. Ping was around 30ms on Switch but 15ms on laptop. I know it was around a 50% drop for Switch, at least for the download speed. My ISP has faster downs than ups for some reason, I think that's just the way the service works.

When I changed the MTU thing for me, the speed went up a little, but I don't think it works for everyone based on their service and such.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
Ah, ok.  Changing back to my ethernet helped a little.  50% is quite a lot, but it looks like it's picking up.  Currently at 37.2/22.9

Thanks for the tip!