Author Topic: Game Journalism  (Read 127619 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: The 3rd Party Wall of Shame
« Reply #550 on: February 18, 2010, 04:07:51 AM »
Stratos is correct, Megaton went from a sociolectical thing among a couple forumers to an industry term
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 18, 2010, 05:02:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure the first Megaton announcement was that of Wind Waker
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 18, 2010, 05:30:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure the first Megaton announcement was that of Wind Waker

It's been a while, but IIRC the first "Megaton" announcement was for a game really called "Megaton" that never released out of Japan.  At the time, people just assumed when they heard the name that it would be something more than it was.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 18, 2010, 05:58:36 AM »
Maybe it was a game announcement. All I remember clearly was the disappointment...and people constantly asking if any new announcement since was 'Teh Megaton!".
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
I believe "Megaton" originally was used to describe how powerful atomic bombs were. The "megaton" would refer to how many million tons of TNT they were equivalent to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaton
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 18, 2010, 01:51:01 PM »
Wait I remember it being about some Japanese magazine promising some announcement during the fall months.....maybe. Either way it doesn't suit the word we're trying to make up.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 18, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
I believe "Megaton" originally was used to describe how powerful atomic bombs were. The "megaton" would refer to how many million tons of TNT they were equivalent to.

Yeah, and that makes it difficult to do a google search for the term's inception related to gaming.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »

Yeah, and that makes it difficult to do a google search for the term's inception related to gaming.

Not really, so long as you know how to phrase your search terms.  2-3 minutes on Google produced this handy little link for me that should clear things up nicely.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 18, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
I was just being lazy and searching for 'megaton'.

Nice link. So 'megaton' is really another way of saying something is 'Much Ado About Nothing' ;)
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 18, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
I just got the idea from Halbred in the MM4 talkback thread, but how about MegaBuster!?

combo of Blockbuster and Megaton
meaning Hyped Up Big Release

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 18, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »
to answer a question of what a blockbuster game is

a game so appealing that everyone rushes out to buy it for 1 or more of 5 reasons
1 Everyone Agrees it will be awesome based on trailers
2 it was reviewed well and you should get it
3 its actually fun, because you tried it
4. Your friend bought it and you should conform
5. It is pretty(graphically) and you can't resist shiny things(whether the game is fun or not)
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »
To answer a question on what a blockbuster game is...

1 Super Mario Galaxy
2 Super Mario Galaxy
3 Super Mario Galaxy
4 Super Mario Galaxy
5 Everything else Nintendo made
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 27, 2010, 04:25:25 AM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/third-party-puzzle-article

Another attempt at figuring out just WTF third parties are doing wrong, Fahey suspects they're too inefficient to allow making Wii games cheaply enough to really take risks.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 27, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
I reiterated the Wall of Shame over on Gaf and got some pretty good responses.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20002670&postcount=907

I hope one of them follow through and make a wall for every publisher. Those GAF people can be pretty motivated sometimes (DudeBro)

edit: Michael Pachter Agrees with the 3rd Party Wall of Shame/Nintendo Wall of Glory

Pachter: I continue to believe that the Wii audience will buy good games, and think that third parties have done a poor job of making them for the Wii. There are a handful of exceptions (my favorite is Zack and Wiki), but most third party Wii games just plain suck. The third parties don't appear to be giving the Wii owner what he/she wants, which is an approachable, high quality game. The bulk of titles are shovelware, and once a Wii owner has a bad experience with a poorly crafted title from a third party, they are even more likely to return to buying only Nintendo products. This is most definitely NOT Nintendo's fault; they can hardly be blamed for making consistently good games. It's the fault of studios that think it's ok to make a lousy game and put the word "party" in the title.
source
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:19:01 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 27, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »
It's pretty sad that Gaf of all places is far more receptive to the Wall of Shame than here.

And that's not Pachter. It has to be an imposter.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Aielyn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 28, 2010, 03:24:38 AM »
Hi, first time post, joined just because I was getting frustrated at seeing everyone miss the obvious term for the gaming equivalent of a blockbuster.
It's called a System Seller, everyone. They're games that are so good, so desired by people, that they'll go and buy the system for that specific game. Few games truly achieve system-seller status.
Anyway, those walls of shame are quite revealing. I only wish it were possible to get budget data, so that you could re-generate the walls from the developer/publisher perspective, and see how much money would be saved by cutting out all the shovelware, and how much would be able to be fed into the decent games to make them great games. Heck, there are some games that could have been system sellers, if they'd been given the appropriate budget.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 28, 2010, 04:39:46 AM »
I reiterated the Wall of Shame over on Gaf and got some pretty good responses.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20002670&postcount=907

I hope one of them follow through and make a wall for every publisher. Those GAF people can be pretty motivated sometimes (DudeBro)

edit: Michael Pachter Agrees with the 3rd Party Wall of Shame/Nintendo Wall of Glory

Pachter: I continue to believe that the Wii audience will buy good games, and think that third parties have done a poor job of making them for the Wii. There are a handful of exceptions (my favorite is Zack and Wiki), but most third party Wii games just plain suck. The third parties don't appear to be giving the Wii owner what he/she wants, which is an approachable, high quality game. The bulk of titles are shovelware, and once a Wii owner has a bad experience with a poorly crafted title from a third party, they are even more likely to return to buying only Nintendo products. This is most definitely NOT Nintendo's fault; they can hardly be blamed for making consistently good games. It's the fault of studios that think it's ok to make a lousy game and put the word "party" in the title.
source

I have to agree with Urkel. That statement is logical, realistic, and true; it can't possibly have been said by Michael Pachter.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 28, 2010, 06:09:09 AM »
Hi, first time post, joined just because I was getting frustrated at seeing everyone miss the obvious term for the gaming equivalent of a blockbuster.
It's called a System Seller, everyone. They're games that are so good, so desired by people, that they'll go and buy the system for that specific game. Few games truly achieve system-seller status.
Anyway, those walls of shame are quite revealing. I only wish it were possible to get budget data, so that you could re-generate the walls from the developer/publisher perspective, and see how much money would be saved by cutting out all the shovelware, and how much would be able to be fed into the decent games to make them great games. Heck, there are some games that could have been system sellers, if they'd been given the appropriate budget.

But is system seller broad enough to describe all the titles we are referring to? What of sequel games that are made for fans of the first? How many people will buy Galaxy 2 that haven't picked up Galaxy 1? Or Gears of War 2 and Gears 1?

Good thought for a term, though.
My Game Collection

Offline Aielyn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 28, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »

But is system seller broad enough to describe all the titles we are referring to? What of sequel games that are made for fans of the first? How many people will buy Galaxy 2 that haven't picked up Galaxy 1? Or Gears of War 2 and Gears 1?

Good thought for a term, though.
I'd argue that if a game can't surpass its predecessor, then it couldn't have been as good as the predecessor, and thus doesn't deserve the status, anyway.

And I'd argue the same regarding movie sequels - if the sequel isn't pulling in anyone who didn't watch the first one, it's not really busting any blocks, if you don't mind the tortured terminology.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 28, 2010, 09:05:06 AM »
I'd argue that if a game can't surpass its predecessor, then it couldn't have been as good as the predecessor, and thus doesn't deserve the status, anyway.

A sequel can only surpass its predecessor by appealing to more people. Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't appeal to more people than Galaxy 1.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
You have to consider that the Wii userbase is now much larger than when Super Mario Galaxy was released. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who recently bought a Wii who will buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 instead of the original, thinking that it is pretty much the same game but better.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 28, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
I'm wondering if NSMBW will have any affect on Galaxy 2. In Japan absolutely not, but in America and else where? I feel like Mario Bros Wii allowed people to rediscover Mario again for the first time in over a decade. Maybe, just maybe they will try and take the next step up to 3D.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 28, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
I think sales of Galaxy 2 in America will at least double that of the original due to the massive user base this time around.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 28, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
I'm wondering if NSMBW will have any affect on Galaxy 2. In Japan absolutely not, but in America and else where? I feel like Mario Bros Wii allowed people to rediscover Mario again for the first time in over a decade. Maybe, just maybe they will try and take the next step up to 3D.

I doubt it, they had three generations to get acquainted with 3D Mario.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 28, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
I wonder if Gamestop is going to allow a discount on the first game if you preorder the sequel.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.