Author Topic: Game Journalism  (Read 130167 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The 3rd Party Wall of Shame
« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2010, 04:39:35 PM »
I'm not saying that we don't get some good games too, but we can't be blamed for not wanting to wade through all the **** if they don't even want to throw us a rope.
I'm happy with lots of the games I own 1st & 3rd party, but I can't be expected to go out and just buy whatever just because they(Big name Publisher) released it and it has their(Big name Publisher) label on it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
I look around and I see a lot of complaining. But since the beginning of this generation, I've been excited about the third-party offerings for the Wii. I've always made clear this excitement level, and acted on it.

There are 69 games on the wall that are in my collection. This doesn't even include third parties who aren't represented on the Wall. That's over a little more than 3 years of the Wii's life.

As a Nintendo-fanboi, I have found an average of 23 GAMES A YEAR from this supposed Wall of Shame that have captured my interest.

How many of the complainers have tried to be part of the solution, instead of part of the problem? Of the games from this supposed wall of shame, I have the following:

Ubisoft

Red Steel
No more Heroes
Dawn of Discovery
Broken Sword
Red Steel 2 (purchase intent)
The Dog Island
Far Cry Vengeance
No More heroes 2
Rayman Raving Rabbids

Activision

Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition
Tony Hawk's Downhill jam
Guitar Hero 3 Legends of Rock

EA

Dead Space: Extraction
Spore Hero
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Boom Blox
Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
My Sims
My Sims Kingdom

Zoo Games

Sea Monsters

THQ

de Blob
Deadly Creatures

Majesco

Wild Earth: African Safari
Zoo Hospital
Cooking Mama: Cook off
A Boy And His Blob
Blastworks

Sega

Alien Syndrome
Ghost Squad
The House of the Dead 2 & 3
The House of the Dead Overkill
Madworld
The Conduit
Sonic & The Secret Rings
Sonic & The Black Knight
Nights
Let's Tap
Mario & Sonic At the Olympic Games

Konami

Target terror
Deca Sports
Elebits
Dewey's Adventure
DDR Hottest Party

Take-Two

Manhunt 2
Bully
Carnival Games
MLB Power Pros

Namco Bandai

Soul Calibur Legends
We Cheer
We Cheer 2
The Sky Crawlers
Klonoa
The Munchables

Capcom

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Zack & Wiki
Harvey birdman
Okami
Spyborgs
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (purchase intent)
Monster Hunter Tri (purchase intent)

Square Enix

Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers

Some may call this the third-party wall of shame. It's true that there are many games on there I have little interest in buying. But there are at least 69 games on there that I already have. Some were less than satisfactory. Most weren't.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »
Wow, nice. How's that Sea Monsters game? I watched the Discovery Channel special, which was pretty good.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
If anything, this thread smacks of elitism, like 99% of the games in the Wii library aren't good enough for the sophisticated gaming palates around here.  Heck, even when a third party game gets Wii GotY from a press outlet, it's still not good enough.

For those waiting for third parties to "get their act together" on Wii, you can stop pining.  It ain't gonna happen, not this generation.  That's why I think threads like these are pointless...it's like complaining about Nintendo themselves making more casual-oriented games than "core" games.  It's not going to change no matter how bad you want it to, so at some point you gotta stop complaining, accept it for what it is, and move on.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »
Wow 69?  That should satisfy anyone!  Enough with the pity party and enjoy what you already have. Myself, I still need to finish Geometry Wars Galaxies.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
If anything, this thread smacks of elitism, like 99% of the games in the Wii library aren't good enough for the sophisticated gaming palates around here.  Heck, even when a third party game gets Wii GotY from a press outlet, it's still not good enough.
I don't think anyone here is claiming all 3rd party games are bad.  Most readily admit there are some high-quality 3rd party games.

The problem is there is an abnormally high crap-to-quality ration in the Wii's 3rd party line up.  Close your eyes and pick 10 games at random from the first post in this thread.  Chances are 9 of them will make you cringe just thinking about them.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 11, 2010, 05:56:43 PM »
Why is the point of this thread so often over looked?
the few of us that get it can only restate it so many times and then here come the rebutters missing the point yet again.

Just re-read what vudu posted since everytime I attempt to explain it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 11, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
As consumers we ultimately hold the power to change the situation, but it would require us to be organized and determined to make it happen. Writing letters and signing petitions is one thing we all could do to try to convince 3rd parties to support the Wii like they should, and another thing we should do (if we aren't already) is boycott the shovelware games. Make it clear to 3rd parties that they can make this crap, but we aren't going to buy it. We want quality games or they can just leave entirely. We don't want crap. That is the message we need to be working harder to make clear to these jerks.
is your sanity...

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 11, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
Jerks?  Really?  If you don't like it don't buy it. Are they showing up to your house uninvited with a basket full of crappy poets for you to buy?  That, would make them jerks.   

Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 11, 2010, 06:45:42 PM »
*rousing applause*

Well said, sir. Mario Galaxy 2, Other M, Monster Hunter Tri, maybe Wii Zelda, it's gonna be a helluva year.

Great list!  I'm personally looking forward to all of those games.

Oddly enough, each of them is 1st party but one.

Umm.. what was the point of this thread again?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 11, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »
Jerks?  Really?  If you don't like it don't buy it. Are they showing up to your house uninvited with a basket full of crappy poets for you to buy?  That, would make them jerks.

Crappy whats?

No, they're being jerks because they are throwing temper tantrums and blaming everybody else because they've fouled their own brand names and they don't want to lose their jobs, so they are looking for a scapegoat.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #386 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »
Monster Hunter Tri is a Capcom game, of course.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 11, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
...and that would be the one non-first-party game I mentioned.

Anywhoo, I think several others have said and re-enforced the initial point of this thread over and over. Everyone seems to know why third parties are having such a hard time with the Wii except the third parties.  It's not just *one* thing, either. It's a combination of things.  This thread was just highlighting one of them - the fact that a company will slap their logo on virtually any product and call it a day.

Several people have called for Nintendo to set stricter standards for Wii games - I counter with this - Why doesn't >insert third party here< set these standards for themselves?

Life is like a box of chocolates. Let's put 60 chocolate candies in a box. We'll label this box E-Ubivision. 8 of these chocolates are going to be filled with your favorite filling ever. The next 12 are going to be filled with something you personally don't like, but others might. The other 40 are going to be filled with dog poo. How many you gonna eat?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #388 on: February 11, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
Ah, sorry, didn't see your "but one."

Remember back when Nintendo doled out that "seal of quality?" Good times.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 11, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
Kairon just posted a nice shopping list for me...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »
The merits of the Nintendo Seal have been discussed already once, but since you brought it up again, I'd like to point out that some of the worst NES games came from companies that did shady stuff to get around Nintendo's limits (like creating fake sub-companies so they could release more games).

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »
Also, I apologize for any incendiary comments I made earlier on this thread.   EasyCure, I hope that I didn't make you feel like you weren't welcome here.  Most of you guys have been active here longer than I have, and I hope you all understand that I think dissenting opinions are valuable at a site like ours.  We need discussion, discourse, debate.  The problem as I see it is that there's so much of it, and the comments have become so goddamn snarky (I'm at fault here too, before you point fingers) that the discussion goes from polite to attack in no time flat, and that's unfortunate.

*looks at sig*

[quote from EasyCure]Add the following to my post :P ;)[/quote]

I didn't really want to comeback to this particular thread, but the rest of the forums are pretty quiet, and since you called me out by name, I needed to at least respond to you.

If simply posting an image of every shitty game on a system is enough to prove your point, then why do third parties succeed on the DS?

Because they also release many high quality titles on that system (as they did on PS2) so chances are better of an uninformed consumer standing at a wall of games to pick something decent. Price might also be an issue, as $20-30 for a portable game is an easier pill to swallow than $50+ for a console game. Thats just my two cents though.

Trust me, the last thing I'm trying to do is "fence" off a potential new regular with my "PhD" in "Penis" usage (I forget where that tag even came from, I think it was a comment Easycure made).

Oh no you don't, don't go pinning that one on me! When I said that it was already in your title!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 11, 2010, 08:18:03 PM »
As to the issue of the ratio of good games to bad games being completely out of balance, I'm in agreement.  It is out of balance.   I'm really not convinced the ratio is any better on DS, but I'll admit that it is better on PS2.

The root of the issue is that I think we have fundamental disagreements as to WHY this has happened, and I'm not going to kick-start another five pages of this thread by getting into that here. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
The root of the issue is that I think we have fundamental disagreements as to WHY this has happened, and I'm not going to kick-start another five pages of this thread by getting into that here. 
So you'll be starting a new thread? Inquiring minds want to know!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 11, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
Given what's happened here, another thread would only be flamebait.  If you want to send me a PM, I'll talk about it there.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 11, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
Call me crazy, but I don't see how anyone really considers this thread really got out of hand.

It's a shame when people don't want to have conversations on the forums - you either have a low opinion of your fellow forum members or of your own opinion. :(

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 11, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
No, we've just already had this conversation before.  We've had it for years now, and I don't have the energy to rehash it again.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 11, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »
...but you have the energy to rehash it over PMs?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 11, 2010, 09:59:05 PM »
Writing a PM doesn't include being told I'm wrong 30 times. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:11 PM »
So... Either you think your opinion is so wrong, everyone will rub it in, or you think us forum members are so bad we'll hammer your opinions for no good reason...

Whichever it is, the main outcome is that we have no conversation. Yay!