Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455226 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1025 on: July 19, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
After reading his post on Miiverse about how we're getting close to the end of the newcomers, that's makes me think, that in itself could be trolling.He could still have like 10 more folk to announce not including veterans. Roster might hit 50+

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 19, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
After reading his post on Miiverse about how we're getting close to the end of the newcomers, that's makes me think, that in itself could be trolling.He could still have like 10 more folk to announce not including veterans. Roster might hit 50+

Unless they're mostly clones, 10 more newcomers is pretty high.  We're less then 2 months away from the Japanese release and there's still a lot of veterans left to show as well.  Sakurai likes to troll, but this is one of the cases where I imagine he's telling the truth so he can control the disappointed some will have when he eventually reveals the whole roster. 

He probably doesn't want a repeat of Brawl where people thought there were still more newcomers left only to be disappointed when the final game only had 3 they didn't know about.  He's trying to get people ready now by saying not many are left so when he eventually shows the last video, people will know this is it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 19, 2014, 06:37:10 PM »
Oh the roster will be above 50 for sure but the majority of the unknown characters will be veterans for sure.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 20, 2014, 04:27:34 AM »
Oh the roster will be above 50 for sure but the majority of the unknown characters will be veterans for sure.

Even that I wouldn't be so sure of.  Looking at the select screen I think the most likely is 10 rows across with 5 columns, leaving 50 select spots total with the bottom right being random like the demo's and Brawl.  In that situation we would have 49 selectable characters, just one short of 50.

The only way we get above 50 is if there's 9 rows with 6 columns, which would make 54 select spots with 53 characters total.  Problem with that is assuming the only veterans cut are Ivysaur, Squirtle and Snake, that would mean there's 6 more newcomers to hit that number.  Before the Robin/Lucina reveal it was only one newcomer per video, with Lucina sounding like the only direct clone exception making that video having 2 newcomers probably an exception as well.  Sakurai said before that video we were nearing the bottom of new video's which are normally just one new character.  Unless Sakurai's definition of near the bottom is greater then 5, having that many newcomers is just not happening.

I know some people keep wanting more and more, but right now, there's probably only 2 newcomers left to reveal, Shulk and Chorus Men.  Maybe a third we don't know about if Lucas got cut, but right now it looks like 49 selectable characters is the most realistic number, unless Sakurai was either lying about being near the bottom of new video's or he plans on revealing a bunch of Lucina style clones in them.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 20, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »
49 is still a ridiculously large roster for a fighting game. Of course, I still want more, but I'm also far more impressed by the newcomers here than in Brawl. Sakurai also went back and fixed Zero Suit Samus as well as attempted to make Bowser more than a for-shits-and-giggles character.

If we're still going with the Gamatsu leak even after Chrom was (literally) kicked to the ground, I would like to see at least 53 total characters because I think the Zelda series should get a legitimate newcomer. Toon Link (justifiably) replaced Young Link, but they didn't take advantage of what makes him unique from regular Link. Also, I'm not entirely convinced that Snake doesn't return. We're dealing with two of the biggest trolls in the industry. Sakurai has been silent on the subject of Snake and Kojima says he's not involved. Does he have to? More importantly, can we trust him?

By my count, take Brawl's roster minus Ivysaur and Squirtle, that's 37. Plus Mewtwo (just having some fun), that's 38. So far, Wii U/3DS have 11 newcomers (or 13 if Mii Fighter get a separate box for each type), that's 49. If there are more newcomers left, additional spots are needed and four more newcomers isn't too hard to imagine. This is also assuming the game has an even grid as Melee did not.

Something to keep in mind: Melee had 14 newcomers, Brawl had 18 newcomers. If Wii U/3DS only gets two more newcomers, that will be the fewest amount of additions in the series. I understand that the larger the roster the more difficult balancing becomes. I'm just mentioning this for discussion's sake. I wonder how many more newcomers Sakurai could reasonably include.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »

Even that I wouldn't be so sure of.  Looking at the select screen I think the most likely is 10 rows across with 5 columns, leaving 50 select spots total with the bottom right being random like the demo's and Brawl.  In that situation we would have 49 selectable characters, just one short of 50.

The only way we get above 50 is if there's 9 rows with 6 columns, which would make 54 select spots with 53 characters total.  Problem with that is assuming the only veterans cut are Ivysaur, Squirtle and Snake, that would mean there's 6 more newcomers to hit that number.  Before the Robin/Lucina reveal it was only one newcomer per video, with Lucina sounding like the only direct clone exception making that video having 2 newcomers probably an exception as well.  Sakurai said before that video we were nearing the bottom of new video's which are normally just one new character.  Unless Sakurai's definition of near the bottom is greater then 5, having that many newcomers is just not happening.

I know some people keep wanting more and more, but right now, there's probably only 2 newcomers left to reveal, Shulk and Chorus Men.  Maybe a third we don't know about if Lucas got cut, but right now it looks like 49 selectable characters is the most realistic number, unless Sakurai was either lying about being near the bottom of new video's or he plans on revealing a bunch of Lucina style clones in them.

See that's all assuming everything has to line up perfectly. Judging by the demo there is no reason why a row of 10 can't be above a row of 11 but still centered to fit symmetrically. Even if that weren't a possibility I am absolutely expecting character DLC. The base roster may sit at 49 or 50 but I'm betting at least 52 characters total.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 20, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »
Knowing Sakurai, I wouldn't be surprised if he put in an odd number of characters, like 53, with the grid making it look like there are still more to unlock.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 20, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
Knowing Sakurai, I wouldn't be surprised if he put in an odd number of characters, like 53, with the grid making it look like there are still more to unlock.

THIS! Also I pretty sure there will be some sort of amiibo exclusive fighter that would fill those other spots. And just when you think 50+ is a lot, Naruto Shippuden 3Full Blast has like 80+

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1033 on: July 20, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
Hey... Where's Wario? :Q
Made you look ****.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1034 on: July 20, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
Just because we are nearing the end of the newcomers, doesn't mean we will not get are return fighters.

But I actually expect several of the old fighters to be locked away as unlockable fighters.  It is the perfect system.  Let people play as the new character right off the bat...but unlock some of the older character people know and love.  If the roster they have shown today is the starting roster then Ganondorf, Wario, Mewtwo, and any other characters that are not yet shown are unlockable that would be pretty cool.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1035 on: July 20, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
Didn't Sakurai say he was running out of videos? As in not necessarily characters?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
Also, running out of videos doesn't necessarily mean running out of newcomers. Sakurai could keep a few new characters a secret until the game launches and just not have videos for them because the game is out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1037 on: July 21, 2014, 12:06:36 AM »
I know he said he was running out of videos, and that can be taken several different ways.  And the fact that several of the videos introduced 2 new characters (the Pokemon video and the Fire Emblem video) it doesn't surprise me that he is running out of new characters to show.

I could see a Zelda video that shows off a new character and also confirms old characters.  My post about characters hidden away is that, it is better to actually hide returning fighters not newcomers, because people want to immediately play the newcomers, so let them. 

Right now there are several returning fighters that have not been announced, that we all assume will be returning.  Wario, Ness, Gannondorf,

and there are several that people assume may come back:  Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer...so why not lock them away until later?  Let them be the secret characters...that would be great fun to me.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:38 PM »
I didn't know Mii fighters were restricted to online friends match only. Seems kinda chessy

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 21, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
I didn't know Mii fighters were restricted to online friends match only. Seems kinda chessy

Nintendo clearly listens to RFN and took Greg's description of his Mario Kart encounters with BJ to heart.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1040 on: July 21, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
Also, running out of videos doesn't necessarily mean running out of newcomers. Sakurai could keep a few new characters a secret until the game launches and just not have videos for them because the game is out.

That's what I was getting at.  We have no real indicator to suggest how many more newcomers are left. And we all know Sakurai is the master of misdirection.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
Not sure when they posted this on the Super Smash Bros. website, but here's some detailed info on character creation and custom moves. The most interesting bit to me is this pic:

I wonder if it checks to see which hats you earned in Streetpass Mii Plaza. I have so many hats!

I just bought my new TV on Friday. I'm so ready to suck at this game!

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 26, 2014, 02:10:51 AM »
Edit: double post sorry.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:13:31 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 26, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »
Did anyone watch the tournament? I did good for a while and lost to the guy who eventually became the winner!

Please tell me you guys saw that strange man in a Mario hat making faces?! I think it's someone you all know well...

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:27 AM »

All hail your new turtle overlords.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 26, 2014, 04:58:15 AM »
The stream was really rough at first but found its footing as the hours went by. It was nice to see so much of the 3DS version and at such a high frame rate on Twitch.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 27, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »

So uh I had a good time at the tournament. Get a load of that handsome devil in the Mario hat. Isn't he handsome?

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 29, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »
Not Enough CaterBaby.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1048 on: July 29, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
DAT FACE THO
Looks at the Caps lock button... :@
Made you look ****.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 29, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
Wait, the trollmaster knows the "for" should be a "4". Even in the title.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:10:22 AM by Nile Boogie Returns »