Author Topic: Six months in, thoughts on Switch?  (Read 18186 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Six months in, thoughts on Switch?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm still waiting on Nintendo to give me a reason to want a Switch. So far, I've only seen games that I would buy if I HAD a Switch, but nothing that justifies the $300+ coat of buying one yet. All the indie games I largely can & have gotten on other platforms. Mario x Rabbids looked interesting, but I hear it fizzles out halfway through. Splatoon 2 & Xenoblade 2 are just more Splatoon & Xenoblade, from the looks of things. Mario is just more Mario, even if it's a return to my type of Mario. Besides, I'm wary of buying a console for just one game after being completely disappointed in the Xbone after buying it for Sunset Overdrive.

Not sure what will interest me in the Switch, but I suppose I'll know it when I see it. Maybe Prime 4.

What I see so far is a solid, but not exactly exciting, lineup.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:30:47 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
The Wii U didn't drop in price because it used a lot of custom hardware components that never came down in price, which limited what Nintendo could do. The Switch uses mostly off the shelf hardware, which should be a lot more likely to drop in price.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »
I finally got my switch yesterday with mario+rabbids and bought golf story. I got to say that i didnt expect to enjoy the system so much. The hd rumble caught me by surpise how good it feels. The portability aspect is another deal breaker. I imagine how much fun its going to be to be able to play skyrym on the go. Cant wait to play Mario Oddessy.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
I decided to buy a Switch instead of a new EpiPen.

...I may be regretting this already...

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2017, 05:53:45 PM »
Why? Are you allergic to it?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
I decided to buy a Switch instead of a new EpiPen.

...I may be regretting this already...

Just don't lick the cartridges!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »
Why? Are you allergic to it?
You know the coating on game cards which makes them taste bad? As it turns out, the coating is made from crushed-up bees.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
As that ridiculous list suggests, I absolutely adore the Switch. From a hardware perspective it's my favorite game system ever and I'd prefer to play just about everything on it

This about sums up my feelings on it too. I love the quick start aspect of the system and the flexibility. While I vastly prefer docked mode, it's great to know I can just grab it for a trip too real quick (literally it uses the same charging cable as my Galaxy S8 so don't even need to take an extra cord).

My only regret with it is that I bought a physical copy of Mario Kart for it.. in hindsight, digital would have been so much better since pretty much every trip I want to play it with others but will often have a single player game in the card slot.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
So I know it's a few months late, but I'd like to chime in.

The Switch is a bit of a conundrum, to me. On one hand, I never intended on getting one, at launch. That opportunity was gifted to me by some very charitable people, but I would have been satisfied playing Zelda on Wii U, as a sort of swan song for the system and hopefully closing a chapter on gaming in general. But, I did get a Switch, and while my library of games is rather small at the moment, I really love the system and what it does. Specifically, it gives me a reason to take it anywhere and play with other people. When I say "play with other people," however, I will list one caveat, which is that it doesn't really have any multiplayer games that have enduring longevity.

ARMS team battles are a mess. Mario Kart 8 isn't really compelling. Splatoon 2 is a slippery slope that requires far too much time investment. I personally love Snipperclips, but finding someone to play with is an uphill struggle. I want to get the DLC but again, it's hard to justify when the people I surround myself with don't find it all that addictive or enjoyable. What it needs is something that isn't just gimmicky, but also has great pick-up-and-play options. I love showing other people my Switch- even though I recently returned Splatoon 2 and now only have two full-size games in my library, those two games are so fantastic and fun that it is always exciting to show off. For me personally, however, I'm gonna need those JRPGs, and a few other landmark titles like Prime 4, Doom, Smash Bros., and maybe Pikmin before it can attempt to take the place of the Wii U in my heart.

I love my Wii U.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »
So, I decided to bite the bullet yesterday & get a Switch, due mainly to the industry's recent aggressive push against SP games. As I noted before, my biggest hangup with the Switch was the price.

Well, after getting rid of my 3DS & all my 3DS & DS games, I managed to get the price down to $186 for the Mario Bundle + Zelda, and that was pretty acceptable to me. I never liked or wanted to play the 3DS anyway.

Mario's fun, as expected, but I'm kind of shocked at how half-finished the Switch is. There's no download manager, something even the Wii U & 3DS had. You can't pause downloads at all. The Switch also won't tell you how big files being downloaded ARE, all of which are major issues for me right now on a limited tethered connection.

Mario was also a digital download, which was just fantastic considering that, but thankfully I had the bandwidth. I couldn't see the box when I got it, so I just didn't know beforehand that I'd have to wait 3-4 hours to play it.

The eShop right now is a total cluster****, with no categorization or sorting options to make finding ANYTHING easier. One of my favorite things to do when I first get a system is to go look at all the demos. There's no sort for that, despite the 3DS having this. I had to go look at a GameSpot article to find a list of Switch demos. Incidentally, there aren't very many "new" demos, either, though Octopath is neat.

Speaking of, Snipperclips' demo can go die in a fire, the way it kept forcing my controls to 2P & horizontal layout IN THE SYSTEM MENU, with no option to fix it except going into the system menus & recalibrating.

The Switch also seems to be a colossal resource hog. Even PSN on my connection would download a 5.6 GB file faster than 3-4 hours, and while Mario was downloading NO other game systems I had could connect to my network. Maybe that's just my weak network, but my PS4 & Xbone never had a problem sharing a network.

Speaking of downloading issues, there doesn't seem to be a great way to just set the Switch idle to do downloads. "Sleep Mode" is just the Power Off state. There doesn't seem to be a Standby Mode where it does updates but isn't fully on & doesn't have to be monitored.

My first impression of the Switch experience right now is that it feels pretty half-assed. I still need to pick up Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, &...I dunno, maybe Arms when I have more money.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:34:05 PM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »
I've never had bandwidth issues while downloading on the Switch.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2017, 03:08:19 PM »
I've downloaded games in sleep mode a few times now, no issues like you're describing there.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »
I've downloaded games in sleep mode a few times now, no issues like you're describing there.

*shrug* All I know is that every time I've brought my Switch out of Sleep Mode, I've had to manually reconnect to my network because it disconnected in Sleep Mode.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »
Have you updated to the latest firmware?  I think I remember having connection issues initially, with Splatoon demos, but not after the game launched.

Thinking about it, the solution there was to power off the system completely to reconnect.  So, I'm not sure if it was the same issue you're having.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
Have you updated to the latest firmware?  I think I remember having connection issues initially, with Splatoon demos, but not after the game launched.

Thinking about it, the solution there was to power off the system completely to reconnect.  So, I'm not sure if it was the same issue you're having.

Yeah, I made sure I was up-to-date but I'll doublecheck when I get home. It's increasingly sounding like the Switch just doesn't like mobile networks.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
It very well could, particularly with your router's setup or just general brand. I've seen that complaint online before.

I will say I even purchased Super Mario Odyssey from my internet browser on my laptop, and the game downloaded without me touching the Switch. Granted it was the predownload, but I turned it on the day after, it verified the software's release, androgynous that was it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
So six...err almost eight months in and Switch has the #1 and #5 highest rated games of all time. pretty god damn impressive. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 01:59:14 AM »
So six...err almost eight months in and Switch has the #1 and #5 highest rated games of all time. pretty god damn impressive. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

And apparently to be in the top rankings you have to be a Zelda, Mario or Grand Theft Auto game.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2017, 02:12:30 AM »
Switch Mario Galaxy 1 with Mario 64 and I'd actually be ok with that list although I think OoT is a but dated and would switch that with BotW at least for top Zelda.

Coming in at #13 is the first GameCube game on the list and it's Metroid Prime. I think the list could use more GameCube games also but c'est la vie.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
And apparently to be in the top rankings you have to be a Zelda, Mario or Grand Theft Auto game.

So if Nintendo can just get a port of GTAV with Mario and Zelda Amiibo support, we could have the first 100% rated game then.  :cool;
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
Grand Theft Smash Bros.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
I've been having a problem with the Switch not charging the Joy-Cons until they get down to the red bar. Apparently they only like to charge when the system battery is also charging, but I don't take it out of the dock. They also don't charge past half way this way. This means that sometimes when I take them off, they happened to be just above red and quickly die.

So I guess I'm going to need the charging grip then? It now makes even less than zero sense that the Switch doesn't include the charge grip. I guess they really want to force people to use it as a handheld, hee hee.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
That’s strange. According to Nintendo’s website:

1. Undock the console and detach the Joy-Cons.
2. Press the Sync button on each Joy-Con for one second to reset them.
3. Unplug the AC adapter from both ends to reset it.
4. If the console’s charge is almost out, charge it for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
5. Attach the Joy-Cons and connect the AC adapter directly to the console and to the wall
6. On the Home screen, select ”Controllers” to check the battery.

Also, check for any damage on anything. If none of that solved the charging issue, you may have to get it repaired (nooooooooooo...)
I don't take it out of the dock.
I’d recommend taking the console off the dock when not using it. Apparently, the warping issues are caused by keeping the console docked all the time.

I didn’t get the charging grip, but I did get an extra AC adapter for charging the Pro Controller.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
I've been having a problem with the Switch not charging the Joy-Cons until they get down to the red bar. Apparently they only like to charge when the system battery is also charging, but I don't take it out of the dock. They also don't charge past half way this way. This means that sometimes when I take them off, they happened to be just above red and quickly die.

So I guess I'm going to need the charging grip then? It now makes even less than zero sense that the Switch doesn't include the charge grip. I guess they really want to force people to use it as a handheld, hee hee.

Nintendo tends to be really good about returns so if you can't resolve it another way you may want to contact them.

Anway, in regards to what I think of the Switch, I think it has had one of the better first 6 months in the last several console launches. PS4/Xbox One/Wii U all had pretty average lineups within 6 months but Switch so far has several games I am really enjoys such as BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart Deluxe, along with games I want to play such as ARMS, Splatoon 2 and the upcoming Xenoblade next month.

I seldom play the system in handheld mode though since the need seldom arises but it is nice to have that feature. Still appreciate the suspend mode on Switch far more than any other console, it is nice to almost instantly get back into a game where you left off when the console is turned on, not to mention having a clean user interface (especially compared to Xbox One's which is so cluttered and chaotic to navigate).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:51:33 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »
My problem is not a defect, it is the way the system is designed to work. You'll notice the documentation tells you to charge the Joy-Cons while the console is charging, so if the console is full then they won't charge past half. They charge fully when the console charges.

What might be an actual defect is that sometimes, the buttons I press on the right Joy-Con are delayed or ignored. That could be tough to fix though, if Nintendo can't replicate the issue.

I’d recommend taking the console off the dock when not using it. Apparently, the warping issues are caused by keeping the console docked all the time.
I find it tough to believe that, we're talking about warping metal here. I think some Switches were already warped as a defect, and it just took a bit before people noticed. I'll need to see some actual evidence that the dock caused it before I believe it.