Author Topic: Episode 66: A True Peace in Space  (Read 9859 times)

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 66: A True Peace in Space
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »
I'm loving the Metroid discussion here, as well as the differing opinions surrounding Other M. I want to know though, what do you guys want from a new Metroid? What style and for which console? Or should there be a Metroid-break?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
2D game on 3DS. Ideally, kind of like Other M played and felt like but more like Zero Mission/Super Metroid e.g. no first-person gameplay.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
I'm loving the Metroid discussion here, as well as the differing opinions surrounding Other M. I want to know though, what do you guys want from a new Metroid? What style and for which console? Or should there be a Metroid-break?

I cant speak to other M since i haven't played it (although like i said earlier if i find it dirt cheap I'll get it) all I know is that if they insist on having a story this time they should actually show Samus bounty hunting, like the bosses could be the targets she's chasing or whatever. Not having samus loose all her items at the start while finding new/original upgrades would be nice too.

the core gameplay of other m, like the 3rd person full 3-d but still restricted like 2-d seems like it would work fine (minus the point and click adventure, i don't need to play the game to know that sounds terrible), I also really like the WiiU scan visor/map idea that somone suggested in the podcast (although i cant remember who said that)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:05:44 PM by Lithium »

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »
I recommend people pick up Super Paper Mario that haven't.  I loved it.  Combines classic mario gameplay with rpg elements.  Instead of the boring "my first rpg" combat of the others.  The story is enjoyable as well.  The space levels were a nice tease when I was anticipating Mario Galaxy.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
That last Nintendo Selects game you guys couldn't remember was Animal Crossing: City Folk.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
I want to know though, what do you guys want from a new Metroid? What style and for which console? Or should there be a Metroid-break?
I don't know if it should happen, but I do think it will be a while before we see another Metroid game. If I remember rightly, Metroid Other M is one of the most expensive games Nintendo have ever published, and I don't think it sold well enough for them to consider it worth the investment. So the next Metroid is going to be much lighter on story simply because it won't have the budget for CG scenes.

As for gameplay, I'm hoping that it will be a more refined system from Other M. The only issue I had with it were the controls, so if they tighten those up and allow use of the Wiimote and Nunchuk, it would be fine. It should be on a real planet, with larger, more open worlds. I'd want it on a home system, not a portable, so I guess it'd be the Wii U and not the Wii. But hopefully Wiimote + Nunchuk would still be an option.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:29 AM »

Super Paper Metroid...make it happen, Nintendo!!!  :D
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
Please no.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »
What, no mention for the great pick-up-and-play game that is Metroid Prime Pinball? All sarcasm aside, it's a fantastic pinball version of the first Prime game, and a fairly solid, if unorthodox, pinball game in its own right. I highly recommend giving it a try, if you can find a copy someplace.

As for the series overall, I also love how the latest Sakamoto games have made Samus more agile, but I absolutely loathe and detest Fusion and Other M's idiotic decision to limit where you can go next. I don't mean their telling you "go here next" (although I prefer the Prime games' approach), I mean their " you can ONLY go here next" idea. It's extremely un-Metroid to me. Fusion's otherwise good enough to overcome that, but Other M...is not. I don't think I'm ever going to bother beating Other M; the first four hours have really turned me off to the game. Glad I only spent $15 on it!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
I want to know what this Horse DS game is. I do not see a review for a Horse DS game.

My son like Horses.  I like EBA.  It could possibly work.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 08:04:24 AM »
I've always had the opposite experience of some of the people on the podcast.  While I love the original Metroid and Super Metroid, I've always had trouble actually making it through any of the Prime Games, even though I own all three of them.  I don't know why, other than I find the considerable time investment to be an obstacle these days.

Super Paper Metroid...make it happen, Nintendo!!!  :D

Please no.

Then how about Samus' Epic Yarn?  The antagonist could threaten to "tear the very fabric of space and time." :P:

Seriously, though, I agree it will be quite a while before we ever get another Metroid.  I would enjoy it if Nintendo would get over there "prequellitis" and get back to making a true narrative sequel, but I'd honestly be more satisfied with another 2D platformer on the 3DS.  I'm hoping that either Metroid or Super Metroid will make 3D classic status, because I will be getting those.

noname...I recently found Metroid Prime Pinball at a used books and games store, but I haven't really played it at length.  I guess that I need to give it another go.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »
Metroid II: Zero Mission (or whatever you'd call it). Though I've never played the first Zero Mission, so I'd just be happy with it coming to the 3DS eShop.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
Finally listening to this...

I enjoy how Andy and I both have similarly written reviews of Let's Golf 3D, but when we talked about them, I came away more positive and he came away more negative.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »
I recently found Metroid Prime Pinball at a used books and games store, but I haven't really played it at length.  I guess that I need to give it another go.
Good man!  ;D   Please let me know what you think: I don't know too many others who I can discuss it with.