Author Topic: Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom Announced  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom Announced
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »

Surprisingly not announced for the Famicom's anniversary

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43496/nintendo-classic-mini-famicom-announced

Japan will not be left out of the classic small hardware party this fall, as a Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom has been announced.

Similar to the Classic Mini NES announced this summer, the Famicom unit will release in Japan on November 10 for 5980 yen. The base unit will come with two controllers that dock into the system and much like the Famicom, are hard-wired. An AC adapter will not be included in the mini Famicom box.

The game lineup will be similar, but there have been some Japan-specific changes.

• Nintendo published: Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario, Excitebike, Ice Climber, Kirby's Adventure, Mario Bros, Metroid, Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • 3rd party: Castlevania, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Galaga, Ghosts and Goblins, Gradius, Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, Pac-Man, Super C
  • Classic Mini Famicom exclusive: Yie Ar Kung Fu, Atlantis no Nazo, Solomon's Key, Tsuppari Sumo, River City Ransom, Final Fantasy III, Mario Golf Club, Downtown Street Challenge

The Nintendo introduction video below also confirms a 4:3 and "pixel perfect" mode for game display.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom Announced
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:38:30 PM »
Ooh... River City Ransom and Final Fantasy III are both fantastic games to have included - I'm jealous!
But overall, I think that the Western lineup of games is more appealing to me; probably not a surprise as those are the games I have more familiarity with and nostalgia for.

Which set of exclusives do you prefer?

Reminder of what the NES Classic Mini exclusive games are:

* Bubble Bobble
* Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
* Donkey Kong Jr.
* Final Fantasy
* Kid Icarus
* Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
* StarTropics
* Tecmo Bowl

Anyone else surprised that Super Mario Bros 2 is the USA game, while the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 isn't included?  Seems weird, but maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:43:20 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ochan30

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:58:53 AM »
Honestly the R1 NES inclusives seem to be more varied and relevant to the other games released. For example were getting Donkey Kong Jr., and Castlevania II which are proper sequels to the games on the console. Also stuff like Bubble Bobble, Star Tropics, Kid Icarus and Punch Out are FAR more relevant in the NES's history compared to the more obscure Japanese choices.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:50 AM »
Obviously the hardwired controllers won't be Wii compatible, but what about the expansion controller port? Is it just for decoration, or is it a functional port for Wii Classic Controllers too?

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »

Anyone else surprised that Super Mario Bros 2 is the USA game, while the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 isn't included?  Seems weird, but maybe that's just me.

That is weird... At first I figured it was due to the Lost Levels being a Famicom Disk System exclusive and they're specifically marketing this as recreating the original hardware... But Zelda 2 and Metroid were Disk System exclusives too, plus the footage of Zelda 1 is clearly from the original Disk System version. And speaking of Zelda 1, I couldn't help but notice Controller II had the mic feature dummied-out, if they're using the original version, won't that screw things up since the Pols Voices were immune to arrows in it?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
They're probably looking for variety and want all 30 to be unique which is why the Japanese version of SMB2 isn't in the Japanese version since it's too similar to SMB1.  All the series with sequels in both collections have a sequel which is different from the original it's based off of.  Probably why MM2 is the only game from that series in the collection while Castelvania got 2 in the Western release since the second Castelvania is pretty different from the first.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 12:33:48 PM »
The system sure looks cool but won't those controllers be ridiculously tiny?  I think the NES Mini has got it beat in that department.

Final Fantasy III is a big exclusive for this.  If the NES Mini had a translated version of FF3 I would buy it just for that.  But I don't expect NOA to go to that kind of trouble for a quick 'n' easy nostalgia product.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:40:04 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
The Western version certainly seems overall superior. Those tiny controllers look rediculously uncomfortable. The fact that our version's controller is full-sized and Wii compatible more than makes up for the fact that theirs comes with both controllers out of the box.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
The system sure looks cool but won't those controllers be ridiculously tiny?  I think the NES Mini has got it beat in that department.

It may work in the Japanese market. But otherwise, you'd have to be a child or a... no, better not make that reference publicly.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 09:29:19 PM »
Save it for the Funhouse, Shaymin. We got a thread there that will fulfill your needs.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
I don't recognise most of the different games, but I wouldn't mind having an official translation of the NES version of Final Fantasy III. I know it will never happen though.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 10:27:07 PM »
I'd much rather have the western game selection, but Yie Ar Kung Fu might arguably top the entire list in terms of nostalgia. That game was huge at the bodega near my elementary school.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:18:55 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile