Author Topic: Iwata Discusses Online Plans  (Read 6515 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Iwata Discusses Online Plans
« on: May 21, 2003, 09:23:01 AM »
And it's not just the usual dismissal, either.

In a Los Angeles Times article supplied by Reuters, Nintendo Co. Ltd. president Satoru Iwata has offered a bit of insight into Nintendo's online plans.

The article focuses on whether consumers are willing to pay for online features, and how much they are willing to pay.  Of course, this has been a major issue for Nintendo all along, as their main concern is how consumers will pay for and how Nintendo can profit from online games.

"I don't think its reasonable to make someone pay for a game and then make them prepare a network connection and charge a monthly fee," Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, told Reuters recently.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's Iwata said his company was working on a service that would not require users to cough up regular fees for games.

"In the near future we are hoping to announce something that addresses this issue," he told Reuters.

Be sure to click the link above to read the full article.

Thanks for Bryan McGovern for the tip!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline SatansNemesis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 09:53:27 AM »
They could set up a network simmilar to tunneling. Thats why they have gamespy hooking up with them. They set up a special network that connects consoles together and treats it like a LAN except over the internet connection. So in theory any game that could do LAN could also be played online.
How viable could that be?  
What kind of Flame Warrior are You?<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html">http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html[/url]

Offline sycomonkey

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 10:30:14 AM »
I've actually heard some pretty strong rumors that Nintendo contacted Gamespy or whoever did the tunneling thing for Xbox and asked for simular software.  And that they were definatly designing something like that, except without the whole tunneling thing.  From what I understand it would work a lot like most PC games work, in that you would have a gamecube being the server, and you would connect to other (read: your friends) gamecubes by typing in the IP or maybe by searching a central database.  This would mean that Nintendo could provide Online play to those who want (and it would be really easy to make it compatable with games designed for LAN) without having to incur massive bandwidth and thus be forced to charge for it.
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata Discusses Online Plans
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 10:40:20 AM »
How you guys hear this stuff, I'll never know, but that's pretty close to what we've heard.  Nintendo is working with GameSpy on this tunneling stuff and trying to make it work without using a PC.  We'll keep you up to date.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 11:04:11 AM »
Actually, you guys are talking about two completely different applications for GameSpy's networking tools.  That's where this confusion is coming from.

GameSpy TUNNEL is for games that have LAN play, but not Internet.  Tunnel uses your PC to act like a console, passing the network packets through the internet.

The tools GameSpy is making for Nintendo's games have NOTHING to do with "tunnelling".  It's going to be full-on internet play, no PC needed.  Saying that the "tunnel" will be included on the disc is not at all accurate, since no tunnelling would be necessary at all.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 11:40:14 AM »
Oh sure, now you know something about this online ability, Rick. I'm glad to see you say something about it, though. Even after GCA's interview with Gamespy, I remained a little skeptical about the specifics of the online abilities of Nintendo's games that feature LAN capabilities.

From what Gamespy's representative said, it definitely sounds like these games will have online capabilities if you just hook the internet up to it and use that as your network connection by selecting LAN from inside of the game.

That's greatif that's exactly what it is.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 03:05:59 PM »
hmm.... While it sounds good I gotta ask the question:

How Much?

Or will it cost anything? And what will Nintendo do with its Online capabilites? The announcements of the future of XboX live make it sound like a media player (ability to get music, movies, contact players when they're offline). PS2 has seemed to make a compromise by making any games published by Sony (with some exceptions) and offering to pay a lump sum per year to play their titles online. (like 20 dollars a year or so).

Now here's the theory/fantasy: Nintendo and Gamespy give us seamless online play for no or little charge (comparable to XboX live minus bells and whistles, just gaming) and make both Microsoft and Sony look really stupid b/c they're asking for cash for "upkeep."

2nd question: How will they do it? Sounds kind of stupid since there PS2 has shown the way of online gaming w/o a hard drive (SOCOM for example, Midnight Club 2) yet something like FFXI will need one. Lastly, will this enthrall companies who were skeptical to put online play (at least for gamecube) a second look because Nintendo has ironed out the kinks of online play. Or will Nintendo and Gamespy track companies down and say "You want online play? Look at this... (shows demo of its capabilites.)

Its interesting how a few sentences can get the old noodle going.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 03:19:13 PM »
Basically it's saying that it's really lame to make a customer buy a game and then continue charging them to play the game.  They're also sort of saying that it's sort of stupid for them, at this point, to set up this huge network that'll cost them a lot of money and then force the users to foot the bill when you're only getting half the game if you don't foot the bill.

It sounds like they're doing sony's approach, without centralized servers, and will let 3rd parties do what they want.  But they're going a step up by offering online play for all lan-capable games without any extra fees.

At least, that's how I read it.

Offline SteveWozniak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 03:43:01 PM »
Well Rick, thats fairly much exactly what i heard, it is not tunneling, as with the xbox and games like Halo as it re4quires no more equipment. All the code will be built directly into the game, so it's, from what I've heard, fairly much a matter of connection for GCN, with modem/BB adapter, and it's right to go. I may be wrong, my it was ment to be that easy, only time will tell weather it is or now.

Offline Bonzeemer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 04:08:33 PM »
Mario KartD..........Boo - Freakin - Ya.
I'm bonzeemer..your not.

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2003, 04:50:53 PM »
It seems that Nintendo will unveil an online plan during the GCN's life after all.

The Doc

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2003, 08:52:31 PM »
You know the earliest they will announce anything on this is at there investor meeting (if it didn't already occur.) The latest I'm guesing is next E3, but that isn't really soon like it sounds for the excerts. So if I was a betting man (i'm not) I would put my money on the investor meeting if it didn't already happen.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 10:07:08 PM »

Originally posted by: PGC NewsBot
And it's not just the usual dismissal, either.

In a Los Angeles Times article supplied by Reuters, Nintendo Co. Ltd. president Satoru Iwata has offered a bit of insight into Nintendo's online plans.

The article focuses on whether consumers are willing to pay for online features, and how much they are willing to pay.  Of course, this has been a major issue for Nintendo all along, as their main concern is how consumers will pay for and how Nintendo can profit from online games.

<small>"I don't think its reasonable to make someone pay for a game and then make them prepare a network connection and charge a monthly fee," Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, told Reuters recently.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's Iwata said his company was working on a service that would not require users to cough up regular fees for games.

"In the near future we are hoping to announce something that addresses this issue," he told Reuters.</small>

Be sure to click the link above to read the full article.

Thanks for Bryan McGovern for the tip!

Excelent solid news to hear, isnt it.

Nintendo (I believe over a year ago) stated that their first party games like eg. Mario Golf, Tennis, Karts etc will be free when/if they have online compatible gaming, providing you purchase the software. Between that announcement and this latest announcement one can assume Nintendo has not just been chasing up some exclusive 3rd party support from EA, Konami, etc but Nintendo have also been continuing their research on gamer-friendly (new term in comparison to user-friendly) Online Networks that dont leech monthly fund$ off the gamer.
Rather than Nintendo become a multi-media leeching company with free multi-media DLable content but at a monthly subscription cost, Nintendo is sticking to being a gaming-only content platform, therefore any DLable content will be purely gaming-related and will be for free because unlike the competing platforms Nintendo 1st & 2nd party software is purchased full retail price, so going with a proprietory format for software, ensures that Nintendo makes the money from the software to be able to offer any newer DLable content for that particular software?

Also in my opinion (whether the research is ready or not) I think Nintendo is also waiting on Sony to get their hype in order and launch their Online Network globally, so then once both the competiting platforms have their service on offer, thats when Nintendo will drop their megaton bomb and give the real gamers the option of not being fixed to some dictatorship Online Plan, but rather something more flexible.

</end getting stuck into the competition for dissing Nintendo for being too slow to join Online gimmicks>

Anyone know whats happening with Toby (Tomb Raider's) Adventure game? Was it at E3?
Im still hanging for Pilot Wings on GCN and latest rumor is a Super FX enhanced chip for next GBA to combat the PSP.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 01:28:11 AM »
You know, typing in your friends IP is great, and an IP search engine sounds great...But I still want my online enabled software to contain an intuitive multiplayer screen which would allow for quick matches (the game matches you up with people with similar win/losses), quick team matches, etc.

A simple IP input screen isn't going to be enough...of course the software would be handling the multiplayer screens...I just hope they don't screw up.

Or maybe I'm asking too much. Xbox Live has all you need, but then again you gotta pay 50 bucks...
Oh well, there is always PC gaming, which is free (cept for some MMORPG's) AND has more features than any of this online console crap.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 05:26:03 AM »
...but you also have to have $1500 worth of hardware to play the newest online PC games.  That's the rub.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2003, 08:52:59 AM »
The more bells and wistles that Nitendo puts into the service the more it going to end up costing them and us.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2003, 12:43:58 PM »
Someone isn't reading.  It's not going to cost US a single penny.  Nintendo is absorbing the costs.  That's what they're trying to say, it's not fair to ask you to KEEP paying for something you already own.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2003, 02:54:35 PM »
Precisely.. it sounds like Nintendo is trying to find a way to  be able to make a profit without having to charge more... in other words, either building a new contraption, or  finding ways to make servers more cost-efficient.  Either way, they won't charge us after we buy the game, which is good. >)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2003, 04:13:27 PM »
Nintendo is doing the right thing.  There is no way in hell that I am going to pay to play my console.  Online gaming is still restricted to my PC personally, but I am starting to become curious about Nintendo's online strategy, as they have some games that would work SO WELL online, such as Pokemon, Star Fox, or Mario Party.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2003, 07:04:48 PM »
I am glad Nintendo see it that way.  I also don't see why when we paid full price for a game, we should pay a monthly fee.

Offline elementry watson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2003, 09:34:35 AM »
I think that this is a great idea. Nintendo would need something like this to get online market penetration. One thing nags me though, Nintendo have always wanted to wait until online gaming was profitable before they entered the foray. This day has definitely not reached yet, so I wonder how these two prospects go hand in hand. I think, in exchange for free online gaming, they could probably charge it on the cost of the game up front. Say if a regular game costs $39.99, then an online one would cost $49.99. I certainly would not mind and in my personal opinion would be THE best solution..c'mon, you have paid more than 10 bucks on way less trivial things and it does not even have to be that much..i just came up with a theoretical figure. What do you guys think?
   Also i would like some kind of front end like xbox live, as the though of typing in Ip addresses does not really appeal to me. they could also consider offering with the next generation console a music purchasing service like apple's service or the new napster.....not their own, but perhaps a deal with one of those companies to offer content, I see it as a plus on their feature list for GCN2.... Thats just the way i see it. strictly online gaming for 'free', with extra features for users who want it (through selling a low cost browser disc of some sort) but i digress...... I knew nintendo had to be up to something of this sort, they have been monkeying around with online scince x-band on the SNES & randnet on the N64... when they enter this arena they WILL bring it into the mainstream just like they did for console gaming w/ the NES.
".....sometimes i think i'm crazy, i'm crazy oh so crazy, why i am i here am i just wasting my time? But then i see my baby, suddenly i'm not crazy, it all makes sense when i look into her eyes...... "  so says shady... he's right!

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2003, 09:20:27 PM »
After having played online RPG's and FPS, I think that online games are over-hyped. The advantage of online gaming is the ability to play with other people, but this is also a disadvantage. For example: When playing Counter Strike, if someone is winning, they are almost always accused of being a cheater, but seldom does anybody ever say 'good game', or 'nice to play with you' to the winner when they are about to leave. I fail to see the point of online games when split screen or even LAN games (where you are playing with people you know) are almost always just as or more fun than their online counterparts. There are also other disadvantages, MMORPG's almost always rely on doing a routine over and over again to get a good character, FPS are plauged by lag and cheaters. Hopefully Nintendo will be able to break the cycles of MMORPG's and FPS, but I fear the atmosphere that Nintendo games traditionly ooze will be drowned out by rudeness and hacker language. I fail to see that advantages of online games when you could play against friends with split screen or LAN without tunelling.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2003, 10:21:57 PM »
s1fz0r ur t3h sux 1f j00 th1n|< th4t!

they wish they were hackers something tells me with consoles there will be less chance of idiots ruining it for people, less chance, not none, cause i doubt people will goto the extent of buying a console/game just for that fact, with pcs pirated games are so easy to get, and everyone has internet access pretty much these days, so BAMM! instant idiots, but with online consoles, nintendo speficicly (their fans seem to be more relaxed/happier (just my perception, i could be wrong)) less of this will go on i belive

anyone with xbawx live care to comment?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2003, 07:24:03 AM »
When playing CS LAN I get accused of cheating sometimes. Stuff like headshoting the entire other team (3people) on one round or wiping half a team before they get thier guns on pool day on one clip of M4 (8 person team). But seriously, on-line FPS really sucks. Especially CS. Some people do have genuine skill, but all the hackers are making hard to tell the difference, so when somebody does too good, they get blanketed by the "You are cheating" statement. I wonder how this would work out for importers. Maybe there wouldn't be anything different.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2003, 12:33:54 PM »
"You're cheating."  The war cry of the llama.  Of course, anyone better than you MUST be cheating.  Meh.