Author Topic: Ubisoft to Make King Kong Game  (Read 3952 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Ubisoft to Make King Kong Game
« on: October 12, 2004, 11:47:40 AM »
Apes are king of film remakes and video games.

UBISOFT TO LAUNCH INTERACTIVE GAME FOR UNIVERSAL PICTURES’ KING KONG FOR HOLIDAY 2005

The Ubisoft Team on King Kong's set
Peter Jackson and Ubisoft development team members pictured here on the set  of King Kong in New Zealand: Jacques Exertier, Ubisoft game scriptwriter  (far left), Michel Ancel, Ubisoft creative director (in back), Peter  Jackson, movie director (front center), and Xavier Poix, Ubisoft producer  and site director (far right).

SAN FRANCISCO – October 12, 2004 – Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest  interactive video game publishers, and Universal Studios Consumer Products  Group today announced plans to release an interactive game based on  Universal Pictures’ upcoming motion picture adventure, King Kong. The game  will be available worldwide on all platforms at the beginning of the holiday  season in conjunction with the December 14, 2005 theatrical release of the  movie.

Triple Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: The  Return of the King) brings his sweeping cinematic vision to the iconic story  of the gigantic ape-monster captured in the wild and brought to civilization  where he meets his tragic fate. Jackson assumes directing, producing and  co-screenwriting duties and surrounds himself with a list of superlative  filmmaking and acting talents.

Working very closely with Peter Jackson and Wingnut Films, Ubisoft’s prized  Beyond Good & Evil development team and award-winning Montreal studio - some  of the interactive game industry’s most creative designers - are creating a  game in their Montpellier studio in the South of France that will reflect  the visual interpretation, character dynamics and dramatic narrative of  Jackson's epic film.

Serge Hascoet, Executive Director, Worldwide Content Strategy for Ubisoft  stated: “Through this creative association, Ubisoft shows its growing  dedication to bringing intense emotions inspired by the movie industry to  interactive games. In the King Kong game, players will be able to experience  all the power, drama and emotion of the film thanks to the interactive  possibilities provided by the game.”

“I’m really enjoying the collaboration with these artists, and all the  creative possibilities we’re discovering,” said Peter Jackson.  â€śBy working  closely with the development team, Ubisoft is enabling me to help shape the  kind of gaming experience that I will be proud to associate with this new  version of King Kong, a story that began my life-long love of film.”

©2004 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Ubisoft, ubi.com, and the  Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or  other countries.

About King Kong

Jackson re-teams with longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens,  co-writing the screenplay with three-time Oscar®-winning partner Walsh and  The Lord of the Rings co-writer, Academy Award® winner Boyens.  The  screenplay is based on the original story by Merian C. Cooper and Edgar  Wallace, which became the classic 1933 RKO Radio Pictures film, directed by  adventurers Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack.  Jan Blenkin, Carolynne  Cunningham, Fran Walsh and Jackson are producing the film under their  WingNut Films banner, with Universal Pictures releasing King Kong worldwide  on December 14, 2005. Starring in the Universal Pictures release is a slate of some of Hollywood’s  most versatile and accomplished actors, including Academy Award® nominee  Naomi Watts (21 Grams), Jack Black (School of Rock) and Academy Award®  winner Adrien Brody (The Pianist).  Cast members include Andy Serkis (The  Lord of the Rings trilogy), Thomas Kretschmann (U-571), Colin Hanks (Orange  County) and Kyle Chandler (Angel’s Dance, television’s Early Edition). Jackson brings his sweeping vision and employs the latest motion picture  technology to cinematically portray the timeless tale of the beast and his  beauty. He expands on the chapters of the tale that take place in the  mysterious and dangerous jungles of Skull Island, and his Kong promises to  be a unique and breathtaking creation. As with his Lord of the Rings trilogy, Jackson is currently shooting King  Kong on location in his native New Zealand.  Visual effects are accomplished  by New Zealand-based companies Weta Digital and Weta Workshop, recipients of  multiple Academy Awards® for their collective work on The Lord of the Rings  trilogy.  Visual effects and miniatures supplement practical locations in  creating primordial jungles and '30s-period America. This film has not yet  been rated.  Please consult www.filmratings.com or www.parentalguide.org for  more information.

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Procession

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Ubisoft to Make King Kong Game
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 03:45:51 PM »
Damn, Michel Ancel is currently in my city - that's cool, Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil are both incredible. I'm betting he'll make a great King Kong game. Then again though, I always thought Shiny could make a great Matrix game.

On another note - Peter Jackson is looking pretty svelte these days. All he need now is to shave and get a new haircut.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 04:42:18 PM »
Ubisoft? This could actually turn out to be a good game!

Offline rholder

• View Profile
RE:Ubisoft to Make King Kong Game
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 06:13:22 PM »
Cripes! Peter Jackson looks like he t took lessons from Mary Kate Olson....I agree, looking rather "svelte."

/on the related note, yes, UbiSoft could make this a good game, so long as Vivendi-Universal doesn't cause problems.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »
lol funny you should mentioned that I believe they sold of their rights to anything related to Universal. So it won't be an issue, Vivendi doesn't have anything cept' for Blizzard.
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 01:02:35 AM »
If UbiSoft were to have Donkey Kong cameo in the GC version, and just call it Donkey Kong, and forget about having the King Kong license at all, and pack in a free stick on gum with every copy then WOW!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 01:05:52 AM »
I'd sell that gum on eBay!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 04:34:25 AM »
*******~L@@K!~ ULTRA RARE GUM SMELLS LIKE KING KONG ~L@@K!~*******

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 08:06:39 AM »
Peter Jackson now looks like the guy I used to say Peter Jackson ate.